#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

My goal for 2007 is to have regular quarterly meetings of the Fort Worth Forum. We are past two weeks into the new year and I've finally decided to bring up the idea of getting together. Normally, we just get together and socialize with no specific agenda. I was curious if the forum members want to do that or do we want to have a scheduled program? Since I'm on the Board of Directors of Historic Fort Worth, Inc., I have seen that many of our historic buildings are not protected and are under threat by development issues. The most problematic areas to me are TCU, Arlington Heights, and Downtown. If a building boom occurs, many of our historic downtown skyscrapers could be threatened because they have no protection. If we decide to have a program on preservation, our Executive Director would be willing to speak to the forum. The basement of the Eddleman-McFarland House has been offered for our meeting. The basement is also home to HFW's Historic Resource Library. If we wanted to eat, we would have to reserve and place orders in advance, and pay for our food.

D. Jason Miller has offered one of his buildings as a place for the Fort Worth Forum to meet on Race Street. We would also have to order dinner from one of the Race Street/Riverside area restaurants. Historic Fort Worth would also be willing to go on the road over to Riverside for the program. Another option for eating would be to have the event at a restaurant. I believe we also have a standing offer from the 7th Street Grill as a place for a meeting.

What do you all think and what do you want to do? I want to have this meeting by the end of March. Once a time, date, location, and program are set, I will put it on the Forum Calendar.

#2 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

I think a quarterly meeting would be GREAT! We could have a scheduled speaker/program and then possibly time afterwards for socializing (we wine people always had great conversations). My vote, at least for the first meeting, would be the E-M House, both for appropriateness and also because I've never been there. However, I will endeavor to make it where ever the meeting is.

#3 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

John, the pragmatist in me says set the time, date, and program then get a head count of how many plan to attend. It might be a number that the E-M basement cannot handle. Locations are bountiful, especially if the group agreed to buy food there. The new Chimys on Foch might be a fun venue. Food's good and it's cheap! It could handle a fairly large crowd, since I have no clue how many people would fit in Jason's building.

As an FYI---the rotten builder-developer types, and others affiliated with the homebuilding industry, are likely to be attending IBS in Orlando the second week of February.

#4 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

Just to throw out an idea or two if it looks like a good size crowd - The Marquis on Magnolia (5th and Magnolia) is a really nice space, good size, very attractive. Owned by the lady who owns/runs Scampi's; and there is your food connection. I believe they have tables, etc. on premises. And, of course, there is always Thistle Hill happy.gif .

#5 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

I'd like to attend. I'll keep checking here for more info as plans fall into place.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

Redhead, I'm flexible on everything, but we haven't held a forum meeting that would have extended the capabilities of the Eddleman-McFarland Basement. It's a good room for a presentation and speaking to groups, as well.

#7 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

Count me in, John. I'm pretty flexible if the gatherings will be on the weekends....that includes Friday evenings.

#8 CliffordProffitt

CliffordProffitt

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Location:Riverside area - Fort Worth, Haltom City in Tarrant County
  • Interests:Carter Riverside Neighborhood Association (CRNA)<br />Riverside Alliance (RA)<br />Six Point Urban Village - Fort Worth<br />Envision Belknap - Haltom City<br />Riverside Oxbow, Upper Trinity River

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

Pick a date and location and everyone can adjust.

Say the first Tuesday of the second month of each quarter.
Feb 6 2007
May 1 2007
Aug 7 2007
Nov 6 2007

As far as locations, there have been good lactations that have been listed. I like it moving around, but that usually only works if you lock the next location before the current meeting so it could be announced at the meeting.
Eddleman-McFarland House
Race Street
Chimys on Foch
Marquis on Magnolia
Scampi's

The timing would need to include the idea that not everyone is in the same part o town or has the same off hours.
6:00P Social
6:15P Food
7:00P Program
8:00P Close

Therefore, I would like to offer: Tuesday, February 6 2007 6:00-8:00P at Eddleman-McFarland House, I am not in charge, so it is up to John T Roberts.
Clifford Proffittt
P. O. Box 7484
Riverside Branch
Fort Worth, Texas 76111-0484
(817) 759-2543
CliffordProffitt@netscape.net
Public and forthright with my views, ready to backup my words and happy to correct my errors or retract my opinions when wrong, wishing that others would just do the same.

#9 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

John, I would be interested in hearing from Historic Fort Worth at such a meeting. I think that's a terrific idea.

#10 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

I also think this is a great idea... basement of the E-M House sounds good to me. A program on preservations sounds interesting to me.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

Setting up a preservation oriented program at the Eddleman-McFarland House was what I originally wanted to do for our next forum meeting, but several of the members wanted to meet over on Race Street. I wanted to have a meeting that appealed to the most forum members. I also think setting up a regular day and month during each quarter might be the best way to make sure that we do get together during that quarter. If we are really looking at February 6th, then I will have to check with our Executive Director to make sure the room is open and she will be able to talk to us.

#12 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

How does it look for February 6?

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

Historic Fort Worth can't make a presentation on February 6th. It looks like it will have to be February 20th. 6:00 PM still works, and what we might do is get a rough head count and then order from Macaroni Grill. The forum members will then be asked to bring their own drink and we will divide the price of the food equally. Since we do have a speaker, a small donation to the organization would also be encouraged.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

How many of you are interested in attending?

#15 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

I plan to attend!

#16 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

I'll plan on being there!

#17 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:59 PM

I'd like to come.

--

Kara B.

#18 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

Pencil me in as well, John.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

I have now placed the forum meeting on the board's calendar.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

Official Fort Worth Forum Meeting Annoucement:

The Fort Worth Forum will have their first quarterly meeting of 2007 on Tuesday, February 20th in the Resource Library of Historic Fort Worth, Inc. HFW is located in the Ball-Eddleman-McFarland House at 1110 Penn Street in downtown. We will meet at 6:00 PM in the library, which is located in the basement. The entrance to the basement is on the north side of the house, facing the construction of the addition to the First Presbyterian Church. Parking is available on the street, and if all of those spaces are full, you can park in the church's parking lot, one block down and across Penn Street. We will order food from Macaroni Grill, but you will be able to bring your own beverage. For the first time at a forum meeting, we will have a program and a speaker. The speaker is Jerre Tracy, the Executive Director of Historic Fort Worth, Inc. She will be speaking on Preservation in the City. The cost of the food will be divided equally among the participants and a donation to the organization would be appreciated. Memberships will also be available.

Attending the Forum Meeting:

John T Roberts
Bernd
suerto
Atomic Glee
cbellomy
sierra
David Love
Shocker
AndyN
wren & husband
djold1

#21 sierra

sierra

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

I'll be attending

#22 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Unfortunately, I will be out of town and unable to attend. Perhaps next time!

Sounds like it will be a great presentation!

Mary Bess

#23 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

I can't commit just yet as Efren's new job requires travel. I hate to get a babysitter for that short of time so I'm hoping he is in town. I will let you know in a week or so.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

The forum meeting is one week from the time of this post, so I'm going to start needing some committments of attendance so we can order food.

I would really like to see some of our new members that hasn't previously come to a forum meeting attend. I would also like to see the members who are deeply interested in historic preservation to also attend. If you are not interested in preservation, you might come, also. It is always nice to hear opposing points of view.

#25 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 1 2007, 09:30 PM) View Post

Official Fort Worth Forum Meeting Annoucement:

The Fort Worth Forum will have their first quarterly meeting of 2007 on Tuesday, February 20th in the Resource Library of Historic Fort Worth, Inc. HFW is located in the Ball-Eddleman-McFarland House at 1110 Penn Street in downtown. We will meet at 6:00 PM in the library, which is located in the basement. The entrance to the basement is on the north side of the house, facing the construction of the addition to the First Presbyterian Church. Parking is available on the street, and if all of those spaces are full, you can park in the church's parking lot, one block down and across Penn Street. We will order food from Macaroni Grill, but you will be able to bring your own beverage. For the first time at a forum meeting, we will have a program and a speaker. The speaker is Jerre Tracy, the Executive Director of Historic Fort Worth, Inc. She will be speaking on Preservation in the City. The cost of the food will be divided equally among the participants and a donation to the organization would be appreciated. Memberships will also be available.

I'm in!

If you need me to help with anything let me know.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#26 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hey, John - Count me in for sure. I, too, will be glad to help if you need any.

Seeing as how it's also Fat Tuesday, I'll probably bring a King Cake along!! happy.gif

#27 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:05 PM

I have to bow out. We have a PTA meeting that night and seeing that I'm an officer, I think I better show. Next time!

#28 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

I'm planning to be there.

#29 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

I will definitely be there; looking forward to it.

#30 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

There and square. Woops... wait... Strike that. Let's just say I'll be there.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#31 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 13 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post

I would really like to see some of our new members that hasn't previously come to a forum meeting attend.

I will be there in spirit although not in body. Maybe next time, I can schedule leave time to travel to Fort Worth for the meeting.

Ya'll have fun,

GenE Shockley

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

I'm now starting an "official" list of who will be attending. I will edit this post and will also put the list with the "Official Forum Meeting Announcement".

Attending the Forum Meeting:

John T Roberts
Bernd
suerto
Atomic Glee
cbellomy
sierra
David Love
Shocker
AndyN
wren & husband
djold1

#33 wren

wren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:24 PM

Hi John!

My husband and I are planning on attending. We may be a few minutes late depending upon his work schedule.

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:22 AM

Great! I'm looking forward to meeting both of you. Don't worry about being late.

Everyone, please try to sign up by Monday evening because we really do need to know how much food to order. Please remember, that we will be dividing the cost of the food up equally. Unfortunately, the menu will be very limited. Also, please bring your own drink.

#35 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:15 AM

Hi John..

This sounds great. I plan on being there on Tuesday night...

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:50 PM

Time is getting short to guarantee that you will have a dinner at the forum meeting. If anyone is still planning to attend, please sign up.

Construction at the First Presbyterian Church has taken away the parking lot on the north side of the house where the church allowed parking for Historic Fort Worth events, so please park on the street. If all of the street parking is taken, then you can park on the church lot directly in front of the church between Penn and Summit and north of 13th Street. The meeting will be held in the Preservation Resource Library, located in the basement of the Eddleman-McFarland House. As you approach the house, walk down the brick driveway on the north side. In the center of the north side of the house is a stairway that leads down to the library door. Once you are in the library, you will be able to see the area where all of our historic archives are stored. This space also doubles as our board meeting room.

#37 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

John..

Something previous came up that I had overlooked. You'll have to cancel me out. I'll be at the next one..

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#38 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

John-
Any idea how much money to bring for the food? Cash or Check?

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

If we can, let's keep this as a cash only transaction. I will do some checking to see about how much this is going to run per person. The food will come from Macaroni Grill, so anticipate the average cost of an entree there as a round number on the cost of the food.

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

The approximate cost for each person will be between $10 and $12. This is just to give you a ballpark number. Please bring enough to cover the meal. Also, please consider a donation to Historic Fort Worth in addition to the meal.

#41 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

John, I will likely have my wife with me, but I doubt either of us will eat dinner there. I'll kick in for food, etc., anyway, though... no problem there.

Thanks for setting this thing up.

#42 SLO

SLO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hope you all have a great time, I was trying to free my schedule to make it.....

Perhaps next quarter.

#43 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

It was a great presentation, and nice to put faces with forum names. Big thanks to John and Jerre for making this happen! I'm already looking forward to the next quarter...

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:26 AM

Thank you, Bernd. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the evening. It was really nice to get together with all of you and to meet some of the forum members that I haven't met previously. I also really want to thank Jerre Tracy for taking some time out of her busy schedule to speak to us. We have many preservation issues here in the city and I think that it was good to hear about them from someone other than myself. As with many of our forum meetings, the group had a chance to view a construction site in progress and take a building tour. I hope that everyone enjoyed the tour of the Eddleman-McFarland House.

#45 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

I want to add my thanks to Jerre and John, too. Her presentation was very interesting, much food for thought, and the house......OMG, that house. If y'all ever need any one to just move in an live there - y'know for scientific purposes unsure.gif -- give me a call!

It's always great putting faces with names and always good see familiar ones! happy.gif

#46 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

I’ll have to say the interior of that house was not what I expected to see; many of the homes from that era have gone through so many owners they only have two or three interesting characteristics left. Every single room had so many details you’d have to spend a good deal of time to let them all sink in, then the way everything was built “around” those details which allowed them to flow from one room to the next, like having an entire entry room created for the sole purpose of nesting double doors when they’re opened, common on main entrances but not in bedrooms. The amount of thought that had to of gone into that place to come up with the angles and lines that allow you to take in multiple rooms on multiple floors when you’re standing in just the right places. I’m trying to figure out what they originally had in mind, that place has some secrets, I just know it.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#47 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Feb 21 2007, 12:55 PM) View Post

I’ll have to say the interior of that house was not what I expected to see; many of the homes from that era have gone through so many owners they only have two or three interesting characteristics left.

Would somebody try and post an outline of the discussion and events of the evening, so that those of us not able to attend can enjoy it vicariously after the fact?

Thanks,

GenE

#48 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

I just want to chip in my thanks to John and Jerre for the very enjoyable and informative evening, and encourage everyone who hasn't been to one of these to try to make the next one. We are not all the people who care deeply about this city, but we are certainly among the most vocal and probably the most informed. It's a real pleasure to get together, chat, and learn.

#49 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(GenE @ Feb 21 2007, 05:32 PM) View Post

I’ll have to say the interior of that house was not what I expected to see; many of the homes from that era have gone through so many owners they only have two or three interesting characteristics left.

Would somebody try and post an outline of the discussion and events of the evening, so that those of us not able to attend can enjoy it vicariously after the fact?

Thanks,

GenE

Most know what a picture is worth in text, I have some images and mpegs I took with my phone, at best they’re just pin holes, the house itself, I could have spent 8 hours with prints and not be able to do it justice with a drawn out dissertation.

I’ve restored old houses and pieces of old houses simply because I enjoyed doing it, but I can honestly say I learned some new things about the programs at the city and federal levels that benefit those interested in restoring an old house they want to live in and nearly every other category of preservationist in some form or another.

If you’re interested in either, I suggest you start there.

#50 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(GenE @ Feb 21 2007, 05:32 PM) View Post

Thanks,

GenE

Most know what a picture is worth in text, I have some images and mpegs I took with my phone, at best they’re just pin holes, the house itself, I could have spent 8 hours with prints and not been able to do it justice with a drawn out dissertation.

I’ve restored old houses and pieces of old houses simply because I enjoyed doing it, but I can honestly say I learned some new things about the programs at the city and federal levels that benefit those interested in restoring an old house they want to live in and nearly every other category of preservationist in some form or another.

If you’re interested in either, I suggest you start here: HFW is located in the Ball-Eddleman-McFarland House at 1110 Penn Street.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users