Photo
- - - - -

Lawsuit: NYC accused of shortening yellow light time to increase red light ticket revenue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

http://newyork.cbslo...-light-cameras/

Hmmm ... I wonder if other cities are doing this ?

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I have heard this has happened in other cities.

#3 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

This is not surprising. There have been several studies that show if you really want to reduce red light running and accidents the easiest way is to lengthen the yellow light. http://www.motorists...s/yellow-lights

Of course, there is no money in doing that.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

One of the local news stations did a report a few years ago on the city of Richland Hills shortening yellow lights on one of their signals that was on camera. If I recall correctly, light length testing is required and is public record. The news station was able to document that the current yellow light length was noticably shorter than the testing that occurred shortly before the camera was installed. I don't remember how the city explained it and I don't remember the outcome of the story. I struck out on a Google search for the story.

#5 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

I always thought that letting the yellow light be solid... then turn to flashing yellow as a notice that with in X seconds it would turn red was a good idea. Yellow flashing means to me I had better stop guessing and stop the car for a red light.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#6 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

I always thought that letting the yellow light be solid... then turn to flashing yellow as a notice that with in X seconds it would turn red was a good idea. Yellow flashing means to me I had better stop guessing and stop the car for a red light.

But that would make too much sense, don't you know!?

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm trying to figure out if shorter yellow would make people stop more, or actually speed up at the lights, which is the worst place possible in a pedestrian area to speed up.

Either way, I hate it when police/government does stuff like this, makes me glad not live in NYC.

#8 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Florida quietly shortened yellow light standards

http://www.wtsp.com/...t-yellow-lights

#9 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

I think they're too busy working serious accidents to write speeding tickets so they're taking up the slack with the cameras to free up officers to do real police work rather than play highway meter maids.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users