114 replies to this topic

#101 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Well they are meant to be noticed... they are not aesthetically pleasing but they sure look better than the lights of ambulances at the scene of a pedestrian/auto altercation.

I won't argue with that. And I would like to clarify, it's not the lights embedded in the pavement that are terribly bright. It's the accompanying street signs that are ringed in flashing lights. It likely wouldn't look near as bad on a more open street like Belknap than it does on a narrow street like Main in Grapevine.

I guess from the opposition on this forum to the solutions being proposed

I'm not opposed to the two-way traffic change, but I'm just not sure it will do much to slow down traffic on the busy cross streets. I think that's a mindset and habit issue that will be hard to break. There's certainly no harm in trying, though.

#102 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

I would propose that the straight Belknap Street ROW in front of the courthouse be abandoned and that the street be rerouted to curve into the middle of what is now Paddock Park where it would meet North Main at 90 degrees. The statue there could be relocated (there may be plans to do this already? TCU, TCC Downtown) and the land freed up on each of the three sides could be used to expand the 1. Courthouse lawn to the north, 2. Heritage Park to the east, and 3. TCC Medical Campus to the west. The awkward split-traffic intersection with North Main would be straightened and simplified, and this would also make room for future possible footings on the bluff for a dedicated streetcar bridge going from Commerce St. downtown to Commerce St. Cat Island.

#103 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

A bit of press for the park

https://archpaper.co...llery-0-slide-0

#104 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Among the changes, the team is moving Main Street

Really?  How/where?

My blog: Doohickie

#105 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

Are they going to extend Main St. to Belknap and get rid of the Commerce-Bluff-Houston loop north of Belknap?  That would make sense and would provide the "forecourt" mentioned in the article.

#106 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,850 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

That is the current "plan" but there are hurdles to cross before that work is done.  Some of the preservationists who have been involved in Heritage Park Plaza have also expressed concern that we are sacrificing one park for another.  They are referring to Paddock Park, which sits between those loop roads.  I believe that park was a WPA Project.

#107 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Paddock Park is a median.  Does anyone even use it as a park?

#108 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

It has the staircases that are in pretty bad shape.  Didn't it have a statue pointing toward N. Main at one point?  Charles Tandy, maybe?  I have trouble getting bent out of shape losing that space given its current condition.  It's just another sad example of a nice space being neglected for years.  Not all that dissimilar to what happened to Heritage Park.

#109 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

Looking at the satellite view, it looks like the only structure in Paddock Park is an approach to the Courthouse with two sets of steps.  If they wanted to retain those steps (which I assume have WPA heritage), they could split Main on either side of that area (or even leave the northbound side of Main as is and could preserve at least a portion of Paddock Park and keep the WPA structure).

#110 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,850 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

JBB, the Charles Tandy sculpture once was located within the park.  JBB & Doohickie, go back and look at the comments at the bottom of the page from Austin's link.  Andy Taft says that rerouting of Main Street was not a done deal, and two other comments were about the WPA and the preservation of the park.

#111 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Yeh I love me some historic preservation and all but if Heritage Park needs to cannibalize an old set of stairs to further improve itself I see no issues there.

#112 txbornviking

txbornviking

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

I'm looking forward to the restoration and reopening of Heritage Park, but I'll admit I'm not very keen on the realignment of North Main as it approaches Belknap. I rather like the way it splits for southbound traffic onto Houston and takes northbound traffic from Commerce without forcing yet additional traffic onto Belknap for what would be in essence a half block jaunt requiring a potential merger across 4 lanes of traffic.

I'd also think the current alignment would make for an easier flow of a downtown to northside (stockyards) streetcar/BRT line. I understand this leaves Paddock Park rather forlorn, but one would think some quality landscaping could be nice. While maybe not a great place for a picnic, it could certainly look good while driving/riding up North Main into downtown.

#113 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,850 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

The main reason for making the realignment of North Main was to make Heritage Park Plaza more inviting. The plan was to spend quite a bit of money to restore and rehabilitate the Halprin designed plaza. Sine it was secluded and not often used in the past, DFWI and others felt something had to be done to encourage interest and activity. I can see pros and cons for either solution.

#114 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Removal of the courthouse addition and proximity to TCC could play parts in making the plaza more attractive and visited.

#115 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,850 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

I agree with you, Austin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users