http://www.bizjourna...r-district.html

#102 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

That could help boost existing neighborhoods in River Oaks and the Burton Hill area.

My blog: Doohickie

#103 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:59 AM

More info regarding Fort Worth's "River District":

http://www.star-tele...le71840162.html

The name of the area is, as the articles suggest, the result of several developers of individual projects coming together in collaboration. Glad to see that the name actually reflects an on-the-ground-reality, The River. Too often the names of new areas being developed are pulled out of the air, two descriptives randomly combined by marketing types, and have no descriptive connection to the place. Of course these are actually redevelopments; the neighborhoods have been in place for about a hundred years and had lost a lot of their vitality over time. It's great to see some historic place names being recognized and reused. The River District name recognizes the Trinity River West Fork as the defining characteristic that all the projects underway share. All of this is great news for inner city redevelopment in Fort Worth.

Now... transit? Perhaps it is a good time to introduce the idea of using White Settlement Road as the route for a Westside transit route that could eventually connect Lockheed Martin and points west such as the Walsh Ranch developments to Downtown.

#104 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

Also there's a website now: http://www.riverdistrictfw.com/

#105 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

It's great to see some historic place names being recognized and reused.

I agree in general, but "White Settlement Road" is one name that needs to be changed to basically anything else.   That town can call itself whatever it wants to, but Fort Worth doesn't have to use it.  River Oaks road would be better.  Or "The River District Road" would be fine too.  I used to live on that road and I hated giving my address over the phone.

#106 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

I agree. There would be pushback from a lot of long-standing businesses on that particular road, especially given its length, but this would be a perfect opportunity.

#107 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

How 'bout "Crystal Springs Road"?

#108 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

I agree in general, but "White Settlement Road" is one name that needs to be changed to basically anything else. 

I'd be against changing the name (as the residents of the town overwhelmingly were when that issue came up).  It's history, and if anything it reminds us that times used to be different, and that we should remember that fact.

#109 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

I agree in general, but "White Settlement Road" is one name that needs to be changed to basically anything else.   That town can call itself whatever it wants to, but Fort Worth doesn't have to use it.  River Oaks road would be better.  Or "The River District Road" would be fine too.  I used to live on that road and I hated giving my address over the phone.

My business use to be on that street too.  Since White Settlement Rd no longer connects to the City of White Settlement, I think it should be changed.  It was very confusing for people to find us thinking we were in White Settlement of off I-820 somewhere.  I think perhaps Greenwood Rd. might be a good name.

#110 CFerguson

CFerguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, music of the 20s-30s, P.G. Wodehouse

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

The road name should be changed.  How about B-24 Liberator Boulevard?

#111 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:08 PM

The road name should be changed.  How about B-24 Liberator Boulevard?

No.  Just.... no.

#112 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

Would "Western Road" work as a reasonable compromise?

#113 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:26 PM

Too generic.

#114 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:14 AM

River Street? West Fork Way? Panther Parkway? Bomber Boulevard? Tandy Avenue?

#115 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

Westworth Road?  Since that's actually where the road goes.  If you expected to get to White Settlement on White Settlement Road you'd be disappointed.

Or taking CFerguson's idea of using noteable aircraft that have been produced at the Bomber plant:

Peacemaker Promenade

Hustler Highway

Aardvark Avenue

FM Fighting Falcon

Raptor Road

Lightning Lane

#116 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

Ben Hogan Boulevard

#117 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:35 AM

The "Envision Hemphill" (another thread) reminded me of some parts in west Fort Worth in need of revitalization.  One that comes closest to mind is the old Benbrook Highway (Highway 377) south of the traffic circle.   One particular area is a stretch of 377 near the Valero station (Willis Avenue).  The phrase "some things change and some things remain the same" applies to this area on the fringe of the Bomber Heights neighborhood.  The old but quaint Hugo liquor store, which has been there since I was a kid.  The Show Time cabaret pillbox had seen a few business name changes over the years and now it's unoccupied.  The newest addition in that area is a Dollar General store, which appears to be struggling.  I am nostalgic, but wouldn't shed a tear if a West 7th-type development came in.  But I doubt that's going to happen here.

#118 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

The city recently targeted the Stop Six area for revitalization, as reported in this Fort Worth Business magazine article.  Stop Six presents a challenge, in light of its history of crime and a substandard urban environment.

http://www.fortworth...27c26c3137.html

#119 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:47 AM

I just thought I'd note that groups that I ride bicycles with (Night Riders, Critical Mass) seem to be riding on the east side more frequently.  Lancaster, Vickery, Rosedale, Allen, Morningside are all routes to the east side that are being used for forays into Meadowbrook, Historic Southside, Morningside and Glencrest neighborhoods. 

They are becoming more well-known to "that Southside cycling crowd" and there several folks that are moving in there as a more affordable alternative to Fairmount and South Main Village.

I think this may be the way gentrification starts.

#120 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

I believe that you may be right.

#121 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Another thought:  If the Butler Place/Terrell revitalization is successful, it may prove to be a gateway/mixing bowl between downtown and the south side east of I-35W.

#122 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

I think the area to the east of Jacksboro, north of Northside Dr., South of 25th and West of Circle Park Dr. is an area on the upswing.
My mom lives in that area and several houses have been bought and remodeled by younger families and the area sits on the bluff overlooking Rockwood park and West 7th. It is smack dab in the middle of 3 major areas... Downtown, Stockyards and the Cultural District not to mention easy access to the Trinity Trails.

#123 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

I have always thought that the old city of North Fort Worth had a lot of potential.

#124 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

Oh now we're talking about where I grew up. Consider me biased but I have always thought that the area had great potential, even when I was young. And that was before the Stockyard rebirth. I joke that I had to step over the same wino sleeping in the same doorway on Main Street every Saturday walking home from the New Isis- except that it's true. ( Thank God for Steve Murrin, Spencer Taylor, etc. al.)

Even then I took note of some good housing stock in that area. Not just the obvious choices on Grand Ave either. There are some real gems of different sizes sprinkled in those neighborhoods. And it's hard to visulize the potential going west on 25th street ( now the home of tire shops and used furniture stores) but notice the the old existing storefronts just yearning (and yes, I did say yearning,) for restoration.

I do think the beginnings of this renaissance would naturally start at the southern end ,nearer downtown, and potentially build northward. And I would hate to see it lose it's character. Don't make it so cool, hip, (whatever the word of the day is,) that it forces out the long-timers. Some families have lived there for 4 generations

Crazy? Maybe so. But about 50+ years ago I lived on Samuels Ave.- and it has changed drastically.

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible. F. Zappa.

#125 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

I have been noting for years the quality of the housing stock in that area.  Many of these homes have good bones.  There are also several historic homes that have been remuddled to the point that you can hardly tell they had some architectural character.  As for Samuels Avenue, it has really changed and more changes are coming.  The good news is that the Embrey development is going to save the Garvey House and there are efforts going on to save at least two of the other homes in the path of that development.

#126 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:50 AM

With some of the redevelopment occurring along South Main and Hemphill north of Rosedale, I feel that Hemphill south of Rosedale, next to the Fairmount and Ryan Place neighborhoods, could also benefit from redevelopment soon as well.  The commercial along 8th Avenue/Cleburne Road from Berry Street up to All Saints hospital could also use some revitalization, especially considering that Ryan Place is a nicer neighborhood than the commercial development along 8th Avenue would otherwise imply.  Extending the TexRail line southwest from downtown (as originally planned) would help with this.

Speaking of the south side, if a commuter rail line could be added along the rail line paralleling 35W going south of downtown, it would be nice to see transit-oriented developments pop up along the 35W corridor, somewhat akin to (a smaller version of) Central Expressway in Dallas between downtown and NorthPark.  This would be highly unlikely unless you got higher-income residents into the immediate area though.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#127 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Speaking of the south side, if a commuter rail line could be added along the rail line paralleling 35W going south of downtown, it would be nice to see transit-oriented developments pop up along the 35W corridor, somewhat akin to (a smaller version of) Central Expressway in Dallas between downtown and NorthPark.  This would be highly unlikely unless you got higher-income residents into the immediate area though.

You mean I-30? Because you'd be more likely to see that, especially with some of the development already proposed.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#128 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

I do agree that the I-30 West Freeway would be a more likely corridor for something like that to happen, as there are plenty of higher-income areas to support such developments.  However, you wouldn't get commuter rail without taking people's property for right-of-way, or building some kind of elevated rail line above the freeway.  The 35W south corridor already has a rail line that parallels the freeway, but it is a lower income area.  I do see some potential in the 35W corridor in the event that a commuter rail line going due south of downtown were to be implemented; I simply mentioned Central Expressway as an "extreme" example of what could happen if you have a major freeway and commuter rail line paralleling each other.  I simply don't see that happening along 35W south, not without some dramatic changes to the average socioeconomic status of the area.

However, I would like the city to try and encourage corporations to set up offices in the central city (including downtown and the surrounding areas like the south side, Panther Island, and the like) instead of building large campuses in far-flung suburban parts of the city.  Perhaps having more enticing tax incentives could do the trick?  And if you got offices in the central city, you would also want families of employees to settle down closer to downtown too, so you would want better schools and quality educational programs available close to downtown.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#129 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

I do agree that the I-30 West Freeway would be a more likely corridor for something like that to happen, as there are plenty of higher-income areas to support such developments.  However, you wouldn't get commuter rail without taking people's property for right-of-way....but it is a lower income area.  I do see some potential in the 35W corridor in the event that a commuter rail line going due south of downtown were to be implemented;....  I simply don't see that happening along 35W south, not without some dramatic changes to the average socioeconomic status of the area......

Ok, so I think your premise about income is flawed.

The property that would be taken is property owned largely by small businesses; there is hardly any sizeable amount of residential property fronting the 35W corridor.  If you would just look at how the reconstruction of Hwy183/820 has been achieved and is now being achieved through Irving, you can see that a transit corridor could be implemented if there is a demand.

As for transit, the most demand would be in areas where auto ownership and its additional costs require a greater percentage of a person's income.  Transit Oriented Development (TOD) and transit nodes would have a spillover effect into the surrounding neighborhoods.

As long as transit addresses the needs of the surrounding neighborhoods, there will likely be deep support for affordable transportation within these neighborhoods.  Where transit typically meets the most resistance is in neighborhoods that do not feel a special need to use it.

#130 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

With some of the redevelopment occurring along South Main and Hemphill north of Rosedale, I feel that Hemphill south of Rosedale, next to the Fairmount and Ryan Place neighborhoods, could also benefit from redevelopment soon as well.

I think Hemphill all the way down from Vickery could really be a nice street. There's a ton of room for development between Biddison and Bolt which is mostly vacant land, industrial, or some gas pads. The whole street is such an important transit corridor to, some proper density could really be beneficial to all the surrounding neighborhoods.

cjU5ga9.png

#131 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

With some of the redevelopment occurring along South Main and Hemphill north of Rosedale, I feel that Hemphill south of Rosedale, next to the Fairmount and Ryan Place neighborhoods, could also benefit from redevelopment soon as well.

I think Hemphill all the way down from Vickery could really be a nice street. There's a ton of room for development between Biddison and Bolt which is mostly vacant land, industrial, or some gas pads. The whole street is such an important transit corridor to, some proper density could really be beneficial to all the surrounding neighborhoods.

cjU5ga9.png

If you take that all the way down to Seminary, the obvious tie-in would be La Gran Plaza.  I would think it would be beneficial to get some "frontage", if you will of La Gran Plaza onto Hemphill to serve as a gateway into the plaza.  The problem is the train tracks effectively cut off the Hemphill piece from La Gran Plaza.

I'm not familiar enough with the plaza to know what kind of business would complement what's already there and would serve to draw people in.

Maybe for the locals that's not important, but I've ridden and driven up and down Hemphill lots of times and not realized I was only a block from the plaza.

#132 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

As we all know, the vogue in modern commercial revitalization is to replace the strips of storefronts with mixed-used developments, such as was done to West Seventh.  Obviously this is long term.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to replace these commercial strips along Hemphill, East Lancaster, Berry Street, and West Camp Bowie Boulevard, to name a few?

#133 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

As we all know, the vogue in modern commercial revitalization is to replace the strips of storefronts with mixed-used developments, such as was done to West Seventh.  Obviously this is long term.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to replace these commercial strips along Hemphill, East Lancaster, Berry Street, and West Camp Bowie Boulevard, to name a few?

The City Council's planned PID to address the western stretch of Camp Bowie Boulevard seems a promising step toward revitalization.  Article in FWBP by Rick Mauch.

http://www.fortworth...c932aaf596.html

#134 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

cjU5ga9.png

If you take that all the way down to Seminary, the obvious tie-in would be La Gran Plaza.  I would think it would be beneficial to get some "frontage", if you will of La Gran Plaza onto Hemphill to serve as a gateway into the plaza.  The problem is the train tracks effectively cut off the Hemphill piece from La Gran Plaza.

I'm not familiar enough with the plaza to know what kind of business would complement what's already there and would serve to draw people in.

Maybe for the locals that's not important, but I've ridden and driven up and down Hemphill lots of times and not realized I was only a block from the plaza.

I think this would make a nice subway station. could zone it as mixed use with some retail/a few restaurants. there is an international bus station that services to mexico (cant think of the name), Im sure it also services other areas too, it could be the start of something big. another stop could be one or 2 of the surface lots on jones, across from the ITC. that area has UTA, as well as TCU, convention center. add another stop north closer to TCC and we could very well bring in more. put one in the TCU and the TSWBS area and we can market that as easy travel. all of these are ideas, whether good ideas or not, lies in the readers :)

#135 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

cjU5ga9.png

I think this would make a nice subway station. could zone it as mixed use with some retail/a few restaurants. there is an international bus station that services to mexico (cant think of the name), Im sure it also services other areas too, it could be the start of something big. another stop could be one or 2 of the surface lots on jones, across from the ITC. that area has UTA, as well as TCU, convention center. add another stop north closer to TCC and we could very well bring in more. put one in the TCU and the TSWBS area and we can market that as easy travel. all of these are ideas, whether good ideas or not, lies in the readers :)

EDIT: I live close to this area and is on my daily commute. I can see potential for growth, with or without my idea for a subway. I would also like to see some high rises (higher than 3-5 stories haha. maybe even a small park would help. or a fitness/rec center. ideas and all..hehe

#136 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

This could be posted in the commercial project thread, but it does follow under revitalization.  For many years the tract just northeast of the Southwest Boulevard bridge at West Vickery Boulevard was undeveloped, except for a small residential property in a wooded area.  Then around the beginning of the new century a Walmart Neighborhood Store was built on the tract, together with a Murphy self-service station.  This occurred despite area opposition from small retail convenience store operators and a school situated just northeast of the tract.  A brick wall was erected to shield the school from the commercial projects. Somewhat later a Chase branch bank was constructed a bit farther east fronting Vickery.  As of this month, the Chase branch bank has been closed, the sign removed from the building.

There has also been a small residential townhome development just west of the Walmart store and fronting Southwest Boulevard (just south of Chickering Road).  A new wood-framed building is now under construction at that location.  And a new shopping center is being built abutting the brick wall on the tract northeast of Walmart.  I welcome the new shopping center because it will be closer to where I live than having to drive father distances north or south for my shopping.

#137 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

A_Random_Username, in your earlier post, you mentioned a fitness or rec center.  The Victory Forest Community Center has resumed construction, and it is that white roofed building on what was S. Jennings and W. Biddison on the aerial photo.  I believe S. Jennings is being closed from south of W. Bewick to W. Biddison for this project.

#138 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

There has also been a small residential townhome development just west of the Walmart store and fronting Southwest Boulevard (just south of Chickering Road).  A new wood-framed building is now under construction at that location.  And a new shopping center is being built abutting the brick wall on the tract northeast of Walmart.  I welcome the new shopping center because it will be closer to where I live than having to drive father distances north or south for my shopping.

If you are talking about the construction in the little development, it is more town homes.  My in-laws happen to live in that development.  It is not fully built-out yet.  I believe there is room for 8 more units.  The developer has been slowly adding units, one building at a time.

#139 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

If you are talking about the construction in the little development, it is more town homes.  My in-laws happen to live in that development.  It is not fully built-out yet.  I believe there is room for 8 more units.  The developer has been slowly adding units, one building at a time.

I think John is talking about the building with the white roof just outside the highlighted area. It’s the one towards the top, center of the aerial photo. That is in fact the rec center that had the construction halted a few months back due to contractor/sub contractor issues.

#140 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:19 AM

well, no need for a rec center so close to another one, so I suppose no rec centers, haha. 

#141 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

Over the weekend, I received a notice about the Victory Forest Community Center.  It is billed as a multi-purpose center that includes:

• 2,000 square foot fitness room complete with cardio, strength equipment, and free weights
  • Full-size gymnasium for basketball, volleyball, and other sports
  • State of the art teaching kitchen for cooking and nutrition classes
  • Outdoor stage for community performances
  • Multi-purpose spaces and outdoor patios, perfect for special events
  • Kids play area
  • After School Program, camps, and youth athletics
  • Recreational programming for all ages - from Art to Zumba, and everything in between
  • Senior programs and fitness classes

#142 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Sounds just like something Las Vegas Trail needs (crossover thought).

#143 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Where is the indoor year-round multi-use natatorium?

#144 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

Where is the indoor year-round multi-use natatorium?

You forgot to use the sarcasm font.

#145 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:41 PM

No sarcasm this time. Texas in general and Fort Worth in particular do not work to provide sensible, whole-life fitness and recreation activities; head butting and brain injury reign supreme, and we excel in childhood drowning to boot. Year-round water recreation needs to be seriously considered for a variety of reasons; search my previous posts for details.

#146 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:59 AM

I agree with you, RD.  I have been really disappointed that over the years, the choice of places to swim in the southern part of Fort Worth has dwindled. 

#147 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

drove by Victory Park today and across hemphill is a fenced off area. cant remember the exact wording on the sign but it was similar to 'Victory Park Community Projects'. Ill be driving by there again today and will try and get a picture if I can. 

#148 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

No sarcasm this time. Texas in general and Fort Worth in particular do not work to provide sensible, whole-life fitness and recreation activities; head butting and brain injury reign supreme, and we excel in childhood drowning to boot. Year-round water recreation needs to be seriously considered for a variety of reasons; search my previous posts for details.

Fort Worth permanently closed most outdoor summer pools a few years back. Unfortunately, it seems this city doesn't want to fund public pools.

-Dylan

#149 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Fort Worth permanently closed most outdoor summer pools a few years back. Unfortunately, it seems this city doesn't want to fund public pools.

Well as we all know. Most gated neighborhoods have their own community pools.

#150 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

Sounds just like something Las Vegas Trail needs (crossover thought).

Here's a Channel 5 news report on revitalization of the Las Vegas Trail area.  I don't live in that neighborhood but know that some of the rental properties need fixing up.

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-452712123.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users