#1 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:47 AM

cry.gif

http://www.star-tele...ory/245417.html

I hated to hear this about the end of Stripling and Cox on Camp Bowie. The last department store nameplate with a historic local connection.
When I was a kid and the building was "just Cox's" my mother would take me there for back to school shopping. I loved getting to choose a small bag of candy in the counter under the west escalator for my reward of being patient while my mom shopped for her Laura Petry clothes and hairdo from the hair salon.
I remember looking anxiously at the display windows in late fall to have their Christmas decorations, especially in the huge central two store window.
It will be sad when I go home to see it not there. But I suppose this type of department store is a thing of the past like the drugstore soda fountain or five and dime store.

#2 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:23 AM

I, too, am very sad to see this place close. There have been many times I've just gone in to look around and imagine what Cox's was in it's heyday. I actually spent more time in the Cox's off Berry where I took my mother and neighbor lady to shop. I remember when we first moved up here in '67 and going to Cox's with Mom; she picked a dress to try on, the sales lady took her to a huge dressing room, helped her out of her dress and into the new one, then ran back and forth making suggestions, each time helping and being very attentive, like we were the only people in the whole store. Then many, many years later I went in to buy a blouse or dress or something, and 2 or 3 days later, received thank you card from the saleslady for the purchase.

Our generation really missed something. I'm going to miss the old place cry.gif

#3 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

I figured the end would be soon. It really is quite sad.

I'd kill for a department store downtown again. Wonder how much those naming rights are going for...

--

Kara B.

#4 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Sep 26 2007, 08:19 AM) View Post

I figured the end would be soon. It really is quite sad.

I'd kill for a department store downtown again. Wonder how much those naming rights are going for...

Well, at least it won't stand vacant. New development sounds promising...

On Camp Bowie, the 73,000-square-foot Stripling & Cox building is being sold, said Jamie Streeter, a leasing agent for Princeton Partners in Dallas. A developer plans to build a multi-level center with offices above street-level shops, she said. The developer was unavailable for comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users