• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Calle de Genoa (Genoa Street) in Sevilla, Spain. I picked this photo since it illustrates several tenets of urban design and alternative transportation. This is the street in front of the Seville Cathedral the largest gothic church, and third largest church of any style. This street does not allow motorized vehicles, has a dedicated bike lane, wide sidewalks, and a modern streetcar that joins the modern commercial center and city university to the ancient city center and government offices just north of the cathedral. Also, note that the streetcar runs without overhead lines or a third rail. A good assumption is that it runs on the system described in other forum threads that rely on on-board batteries as the cars pass by areas where wires and such are undesirable, like in front of a UNESCO World Heritage Site (includes the cathedral, the Real Alcazar or royal palace that dates from Moorish times, and the Archivos General de los Indes, where all or most of the documents associated with the colonization of the Spanish possessions in the Americas are housed).

Posted Image

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

It didn't work. What you posted was the link to the photograph. For the photo to show up on the forum, you need to put the tags [/img] after the link and [img] before the link.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

It didn't work. What you posted was the link to the photograph. For the photo to show up on the forum, you need to put the tags [/img] after the link and [img] before the link.

Thanks John, it worked.

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Gran Via, a main thoroughfare in the business/entertainment district of Madrid

Posted Image

#5 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

RD Milhollin nice photos, I know that they my not be yours... right?

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

If they are not yours, you should credit the photographer and the source.

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

No they are mine, taken with a Nikon Coolpix LH 6.0 mp. This was a trip November 2011 to Andalucía, but had to fly into and out of Madrid. I really do take a lot of photos, but certainly not the quality that is routinely posted here, and usually of different subject matter (underwater, caves, historic architecture...) I just wanted to get the knack of posting photos here, and was looking for a subject that would be compatible with some of the typical threads. Now that I know how to do this I will likely start taking more photos of local things I see on a daily basis.

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

A more typical photo, shot with an Olympus Stylus Tough 300 (waterproof and shockproof to very reasonable limits). Subject is a fellow caver in a river cave under the Arbuckle Mountains in Oklahoma.

Posted Image

#9 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Shot of Madrid is really interesting. Very nicely done. It either all came together or you are very good. :laugh:

Have been to Spain a dozen times but never to Madrid. Am sure glad I don't live there now. (Or Greece or Portugal or Italy) They may be out of business before I get back.
www.fortworthview.com

#10 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Love that first pic. Wish more places in Fort Worth were like that as far as pedestrians, bicyclists, streetcars.

#11 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Love that first pic. Wish more places in Fort Worth were like that as far as pedestrians, bicyclists, streetcars.

With a Starbucks to boot.

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

With a Starbucks to boot.

Starbucks are all over. Appropriately enough, the tree that coffee berries come from was first cultivated in and around Ethiopia, and was spread throughout the Muslim world during the European Dark Ages. Andalucia, southern Spain, was part of the Muslim world, the Cathedral in Seville was built over a massive mosque; the one in Córdoba is actually the mosque with a church built inside. After Granada, the last Muslim kingdom in Spain was overcome by the combined forces of Castille and Leon (Fernando and Isabella) the Italian from Genoa showed up and borrowed three ships. The resultant business Spain started across the Atlantic transplanted coffee and many other crops to the colonies where they thrived in the climate, and with the labor of millions of African slaves. Thus Starbucks being situated in Seville meters away from the site of the royal Spanish court is ironically appropriate.

Across the street from the Starbucks was a street art installation; photo prints on a semi-opaque fabric framed across the building's windows. In the daytime light could come streaming into the buildings, but at night the external lighting illuminated the art. Each photo is about 5' x 10 ', guessing since I could only view it from street level and the pieces were installed beginning on the second floor.

Posted Image

#13 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Very cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users