• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DKinFW

DKinFW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

I have heard that the Center for Architecture (currently on 7th Street) is planning to relocate to a new location. However no one seems to know where that location is.  There is no mention of it that I could find on the web page.  Anyone have any credible rumors to post as to new location?  Also....what happened to cause this relocation?

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

I am an American Institute of Architects (AIA) member, but I am not an officer.  Over the years, I have served on various committees.  You are correct in that the Center for Architecture is closing and will relocate.  However, no official location has been announced.  The AIA FW office will be temporarily locating to offices donated by VLK Architects. 

The Center for Architecture was envisioned as a way for the AIA to reach out to the general public by operating out of a commercial storefront.  The space not only served as offices for the Fort Worth Chapter, but also as a gallery, meeting, and conference space.  The plan was for the space to be self sustaining.  However, that never happened.  To make a long story short, this is typical of many small non-profits.  It all comes down to money.  Most organizations like this do not bring in enough money to even cover operating expenses. 

I am currently Chairman of the Board of Directors of Historic Fort Worth, and we are always strapped for cash.  I have also served as President of the Fort Worth Bicycling Association and the club has always needed money to operate.  Most people think that AIAFW, HFW, and the FWBA have plenty of money, but the opposite is true.  We never have enough, and could use a big increase in membership numbers, several large donations, and even a benefactor or two. 

#3 DKinFW

DKinFW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

I am sure that I am not alone in finding this a sad occasion.  I have been a regular attendee at the monthly Design Talk lectures and have found the facility to be convenient and useful.  I do not know how well the space was "marketed" for use by non design personnel or groups, but I guess that is water under the bridge now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users