7 replies to this topic

#1 Dokk

Dokk

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:00 PM

I was downtown today and shot a few pictures that I think everyone might enjoy or at least I'd like to post them in the photography section. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get them in the message. The help section says hit the browse button and select the picture that you want to upload but I can't seem to find a browse button. I found a button labled IMG but it wants a complete URL for the image. Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?

#2 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:50 PM

What you have to do is this: sign up for an online photo-hosting website. Most online forums don't let you just copy and past stuff directly from your computer, so you have to direct link it to a photohost. There are several free ones that have unlimited storage space, but the one I use is Photobucket.com, and the only downside is that you can't upload any files bigger than 250 MB. There are others out there, I just don't know all the url's.

Now, as to actually posting the picture. Photobucket makes it quite easy in that it gives you the link to your picture with image tags on it ( ) so you can just copy and paste that whole line into a reply on this message board. All you need to do is enclose the url for the picture in image tags and it will appear on the site (assuming your source/host allows hotlinking).

If this wasn't helpful or if you're confused on anything just PM me and I'll give you a more complete rundown.

#3 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:47 AM

Another alternative is to check and see if your Internet Service Provider allows you free web hosting. My ISP, with my Internet account, allows me up to 5 Mbytes that I can use to host graphics, personal web pages, or whatever files I may choose to share with others. It can also come in handy if you ever choose to go the web page route and learn HTML in order to do that through many of the free online resources available. It's surprisingly easy if you keep your pages simple.

If you choose using online webhosting that your ISP may provide, you will need to download a client that can upload through File Transfer Protocol (FTP) the images or pages you would want on the web server.

Johnny, are you sure your service doesn't mean a 250 kbytes limit on image uploads? A 250 Mbyte image would be quite some image! I don't think an installation of Win95 uses that much disk space!

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:43 AM

Dokk, I'm sorry that I didn't pipe in yesterday, but I've been a little under the weather this week. Jonny and Norman have explained things very well.

#5 Dokk

Dokk

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:10 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll get this done in a day or so then post my pix. I think everyone will like them.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing them. I appreciate all of the photographers willing to post their pictures here.

#7 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:34 PM

Johnny, are you sure your service doesn't mean a 250 kbytes limit on image uploads? A 250 Mbyte image would be quite some image! I don't think an installation of Win95 uses that much disk space!

View Post

LOL! You're absolutely right, the limit is 250 KB, thanks for noticing that.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:10 PM

From your text, I thought that you meant 250 KB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users