Fort Worthology's Content

There have been 36 items by Fort Worthology (Search limited from 24-February 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#108671 Project Sundance

Posted by Fort Worthology on 31 January 2018 - 07:46 AM in Commercial

The weird split-level mall thing is so very '70s in a not great way. I can imagine Sundance wanting to redesign it to be more conventional street-level retail spaces, if that's doable engineering-wise.

#108621 QuikTrip and Fort Worth

Posted by Fort Worthology on 29 January 2018 - 11:27 AM in Transportation

I would counter that whether it's arranged your way or with the pumps in front, would make no difference in pedestrian patterns.  If someone is walking by and wants a drink or whatever, they will walk across the lot.  And I can see why QT would want it with the pumps in front:  if you put the building up on the corner and there is customer traffic entering from the street and from the pump area in the back, there are two distinct traffic flows to monitor for store theft.  If it sits back on the corner, pedestrian traffic and pump traffic comes in through the same door.

The point is, if you're going to build in the central city, you should build something that fits in the central city. It's a slippery slope to making the argument that it makes no difference to build *anything* oriented to pedestrians, because if somebody wants something they'll cross the lot. And that's how you wind up with places where nobody walks, because everything is built to cater to cars first.

All I'm saying is that if a car-oriented business wants to build someplace where the pedestrian should be the foundation of all development, they should be held to a higher standard. QT already half-heartedly did this in the Near Southside - that store isn't *great,* particularly due to the elevation changes on the site and QT's huge, barren designs, but it's a start, because the Near Southside held them to their standards.

#108616 Metallica at the FWCC in 97

Posted by Fort Worthology on 29 January 2018 - 10:42 AM in Arts and Entertainment

It's a poor venue for anything other than racing. No one goes to a concert wanting to sit a quarter mile from the stage. Even with their big video board.

And to be honest, if given the choice between going to see a concert at a super speedway - and, as you say, sit a quarter mile from the stage - that's stuck way out in far north Fort Worth with the only things around it being some strip malls, or going to Dallas to see a concert at a real venue like the AAC or the Granada and be right in the middle of a lot of much more interesting bars/restaurants for before/after, I'd pick Dallas every single time.

#108615 QuikTrip and Fort Worth

Posted by Fort Worthology on 29 January 2018 - 10:40 AM in Transportation

How does the forum feel about having a QT at this location? 

If it was designed like gas stations in central cities in other parts of the world - with the store building up on the corner, with pedestrian-oriented entrances, and the gas pumps out back - it's not the worst.

I'm certain that's not what's going to get built, though.

#108512 Live Oak to close

Posted by Fort Worthology on 25 January 2018 - 07:05 AM in Commercial

It sounds like yet another new arrival to the neighborhood that I'll be unable to eat at. As a music venue, we'll see how it goes.

I always felt like the Live Oak's physical arrangement was kind of awkward, like it should have either been a restaurant or a music venue but the combination of the two in the way it was set up never really gelled for me.

#108470 Judging the walkability of Fort Worth.

Posted by Fort Worthology on 24 January 2018 - 10:26 AM in Urban Design and Planning

Here's another visual of the amount of surface parking DT

This gives me flashbacks to former councilman Carter Burdette lecturing some of us pro-streetcar people that we don't need more development downtown because, and I quote, "downtown is pretty much built-out," which is a truly laughable statement when you take even a cursory glance at downtown outside of Sundance Square and its immediate surroundings.

...did he actually say that? 

He absolutely said it.

It's been long years and I don't remember all of the many, many meetings and presentations and such I was a part of during the streetcar process, but I remember his statement quite well. I'm 95% sure it was during a public meeting that was held about the streetcar proposal, a meeting at which I spoke along with several other supporters.

I don't remember all of what he said leading up to it, but the topic of transit-oriented walkable development that'd be spurred on by the streetcar came up, and he said that wasn't going to have much impact because "downtown is pretty much built-out." I remember that line verbatim.

#108453 Judging the walkability of Fort Worth.

Posted by Fort Worthology on 23 January 2018 - 04:55 PM in Urban Design and Planning

Here's another visual of the amount of surface parking DT

This gives me flashbacks to former councilman Carter Burdette lecturing some of us pro-streetcar people that we don't need more development downtown because, and I quote, "downtown is pretty much built-out," which is a truly laughable statement when you take even a cursory glance at downtown outside of Sundance Square and its immediate surroundings.

#108367 Metallica at the FWCC in 97

Posted by Fort Worthology on 18 January 2018 - 09:47 AM in Arts and Entertainment

There's nothing in FW that can compete with places like the AAC, the Verizon, etc. - and considering that a lot of venues will have radius clauses (meaning an act can't perform within a certain radius from a show within a certain timeframe) and Dallas is the larger city anyway, there's little reason for a big act to choose an antiquated facility like the CC arena over a place like the AAC.

A smaller version of this often plays out with smaller indie bands and such. Dallas has the numbers and venues like the Granada and the Bomb Factory (which we don't really have good equivalents of here in FW) and smaller venues like Club Dada, Trees, Three Links, The Loft, etc. that are higher-profile than most FW equivalents. Sometimes there are radius clauses involved, too, sometimes not. I've seen bands on tour come to the DFW and play Denton and Dallas and skip FW.

The FW venue that I've seen snag a few more notable touring acts lately has been Shipping & Receiving.

#108364 Modern Streetcar Dead

Posted by Fort Worthology on 18 January 2018 - 09:36 AM in Transportation

Fort Worth city council voted to stop studying the plan. The study Austin posted clearly identifies a recommended starter route.

Exactly right. The vote was not to build the streetcar right away - it was to continue with the study. The initial route was clearly identified and spelled out by HDR in their documentation. The Near Southside and Uptown TIFs were on board with that initial route.

#108317 Modern Streetcar Dead

Posted by Fort Worthology on 16 January 2018 - 08:50 AM in Transportation

That starter system didn't serve any big destinations outside of downtown. It failed to run up to the Stockyards, and it failed to run down Magnolia.

The thinking at the time amongst a lot of Near Southside powers-that-be was that running the first line down South Main (which would've been the first part of the system constructed) would prompt the Magnolia expansion on a faster timescale. There were talks about ways to fund the Magnolia expansion as rapidly as possible using Southside local dollars, following the go-ahead to start building South Main.

It's been years and I don't recall where things were left off, but for obvious reasons, these plans were shelved when the main project was canned.

#108270 The Foundry District

Posted by Fort Worthology on 11 January 2018 - 10:30 AM in Commercial

The Camp Bowie location was like that at first, but as more people started using it as a business address it got bad.  I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened at the Magnolia location.

That is basically every coffee shop, though.

#108264 The Foundry District

Posted by Fort Worthology on 10 January 2018 - 07:48 PM in Commercial

So with all those Likes, does that mean my experience with them is common?

I dunno, I really like the Magnolia location and prefer it to Avoca now. It can get crowded, but then so does Avoca.

#108263 Halprin and AIA plans of downtown

Posted by Fort Worthology on 10 January 2018 - 07:46 PM in Fort Worth Architecture

Amazing the 1971 plan addresses the need for more residential housing in the city core, advises extensions to the M&O Subway, a better bus system, rail connection to what became DFW Airport, improved pedestrian accommodation downtown (including showing bulb-outs built at intersections), and a desire for an urban lake.

Nearly every item still debated as a need or as a project finally underway 45+years later. We've wasted so much time and sprawled so far.

But we can take solace that the proposed "ring road" around downtown was never built either.

That's what's so frustrating about these plans - people have been telling Fort Worth for *decades* about all these places where we're now wildly deficient, and little has been done until very recently.

#108202 Tarrant Transit Alliance

Posted by Fort Worthology on 05 January 2018 - 03:11 PM in Transportation

Commuting is a regional activity. Yes, transit inside of Loop 820 can be improved, but there's no convenient access to transit for much of the county's population.

Every day, more and more of Fort Worth's farther regions is built in a fashion that *can't* be really effectively serviced by transit. The central city neighborhoods tend to have a much more transit-friendly base design.

#108148 McMansion Hell blog

Posted by Fort Worthology on 03 January 2018 - 02:51 PM in Residential

It's not that any large house is a McMansion, and I don't think Kate's blog really states anything like that. The focus is on the overwrought, cartoony, jumbled messes of mishmashed styles and poorly-executed design concepts applied to giant and often cheaply-built faux-"classy" faux-"luxurious" homes that you see reflected in the posts there.

#108131 2315 N. Main

Posted by Fort Worthology on 02 January 2018 - 08:46 AM in Commercial

It would honestly be improved a hundredfold if they'd just lop off the tacky fake Alamo wannabe things around the roof, because it's otherwise not bad at all and those look totally out-of-place and are just there to add some kind of "ye olde timey" thing to it that doesn't work at all.

#108006 Economic Development Plan

Posted by Fort Worthology on 21 December 2017 - 10:25 AM in City Issues

Fort Worth is going to need to get over this "we don't want to do X because X is something (insert city: Dallas/NYC/Portland/etc.) did and WE AIN'T THEM!" attitude.

Incorporating good ideas from other places doesn't meant you're "becoming" a place.

#107841 Western Center Tower III

Posted by Fort Worthology on 14 December 2017 - 10:10 AM in Commercial

A few other things to note from the Zoning Commission meeting:

- The proposal was approved including all waivers (two: one for height, and one for setback from Pershing Street)

- A small attached building is planned at the corner of Pershing & Guildford that is planned as an "upscale restaurant" with daytime and evening service

- We were shown a conceptual rendering that the architect stressed is not the final design (a rep from BOKA Powell was the representative for the project), but if the final design is similar, I'd describe the appearance as "like the original towers if they were primarily glass instead of concrete facades." It's not entirely glass - there's still concrete - but the ratio is higher toward glass than concrete, if that makes sense. While of course the final design could change, the concept design looked obviously newer and different but still had a "family resemblance," if you will, with very similar proportions to the originals.

#107826 Western Center Tower III

Posted by Fort Worthology on 13 December 2017 - 08:13 PM in Commercial

This proposal was approved today at the Zoning Commission meeting, FYI.

#107793 Modern Streetcar Dead

Posted by Fort Worthology on 12 December 2017 - 08:25 PM in Transportation

The initial route recommended by HDR was a downtown-to-Near Southside route along South Main to Magnolia.

(The newly redone South Main is, in fact, prepped for streetcar tracks already, just in case.)[/quote]

How so?

Buried utilities were moved, and the road bed was built to support streetcar tracks with minimal alteration needed in the future.

#107759 Modern Streetcar Dead

Posted by Fort Worthology on 11 December 2017 - 05:01 PM in Transportation

Some articles say the initial line was to be 6 miles and have connections to PI and NSS. 

The initial route recommended by HDR was a downtown-to-Near Southside route along South Main to Magnolia.

(The newly redone South Main is, in fact, prepped for streetcar tracks already, just in case.)

#107553 Hotels?

Posted by Fort Worthology on 28 November 2017 - 03:44 PM in Commercial

Where would you propose to move the Water Department and the other offices that are in the building?  There is also a movement to restore the sign, which is landmarked along with the building.

If they moved anywhere, I'd hope they wouldn't leave downtown. I definitely don't support the blanket removal of city offices from downtown for private redevelopment opportunities. Maintaining civic function in the walkable heart of the city is important, IMHO.

#107538 SBC/AT&T Building

Posted by Fort Worthology on 28 November 2017 - 10:11 AM in Fort Worth Architecture

That was a really lovely set of buildings back then.

#107507 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by Fort Worthology on 27 November 2017 - 02:24 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

That is a real Alien vs. Predator situation there - whoever wins, we lose.

Seriously though, I prefer City Hall over the AT&T building. City Hall at least feels like it's trying to make some kind of coherent statement, even if it's not a particularly good one.

#107497 Trinity Railway Express

Posted by Fort Worthology on 27 November 2017 - 10:02 AM in Transportation

TRE's TOD has been terrible. Centerport has a lot of development, but not transit oriented. Irving station is pretty pathetic as well.

Grapevine and NRH seem to be ambitious, as does the Berry St station, but the remainder aren't showing much promise.

Commuter rail that comes so infrequently doesn't generate much in the way of TOD anywhere that I've seen.