• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

The Star-Telegram had a story yesterday about a new three-story medical office building and surgical center to be built at the corner of Kimzey and Locke.  Just around the corner from Railhead, for the others of you who orient yourselves with food.  Construction is slated to start in April.

Here's the story (includes an illustration)

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

It cracks me up how out-of-town developers sling names onto their properties with no consideration of where they are located or of existing, historical place names in the area. "Park Hill" in Fort Worth is several miles away from this office building, and there is no park or a hill within easy walking distance. I am convinced that standard practice is to put adjectives and nouns with pleasant, suburban-like connotations into two separate hats and draw at random, sometimes from both hats and sometimes from the same hat, just to mix it up. One would think that we have run out of original or meaningful names to use for businesses or buildings.

#3 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

It cracks me up how out-of-town developers sling names onto their properties with no consideration of where they are located or of existing, historical place names in the area. "Park Hill" in Fort Worth is several miles away from this office building, and there is no park or a hill within easy walking distance. I am convinced that standard practice is to put adjectives and nouns with pleasant, suburban-like connotations into two separate hats and draw at random, sometimes from both hats and sometimes from the same hat, just to mix it up. One would think that we have run out of original or meaningful names to use for businesses or buildings.

Reminds me of the new "Forest Park Medical Center" being built in the Edwards Ranch area south of Vickery, east of Bryant Irvin and west of Hulen...quite a distance from the Forest Park area.  And, in that expanse of land there are few trees for a park, let alone a forest (except for the clump of trees lining the Trinity Trails in the vicinity of Trailhead Park).

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

I agree with all of you about the names.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

I think I pointed this out in another thread: Forest Park Medical Center is a brand name and its name doesn't have anything to do with the location or its setting.  They have 3 existing location in the D/FW area and 3 under construction in FW, Austin, and San Antonio.

The coming soon sign for the building near Vickery has been there for a few years.  Glad to see it's finally happening.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I was going to elaborate that I knew that Forest Park Medical Center was a brand, and had nothing to do with anything in Fort Worth, but I had to cut my response short, from earlier tonight.

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I, too, understand about brand names.  STILL, regarding the particular name Forest Park, we can't help but identify with the Forest Park area of Fort Worth.  I have to admit when I learned that that particular structure which seemed to emerge from a vast area of southwestern unimproved ranch land, and nowhere near our beloved Forest Park, was to be called "Forest Park Medical Center" I said to myself, what?

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

Going up

vrUSihT.jpg

#9 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

There is a new 5 story building being built on the corner of Vickery & Kimzey and I'm somewhat surprised that this has slipped through the cracks and there doesn't seem to be a topic on it. After I did a search on the forum this topic was the closest thing that I could find so I thought I'd mention it on here because I am not sure what the building will house once it is complete.

I thought at first it was going to be a storage complex and then I thought possibly apartments. It is topped out now and I don't think the parking lot is conducive to a residential building so now I'm assuming it is some sort of medical building associated with the 3 story building mentioned on this topic or possibly a hotel.

Does anyone have a clue what it is or is going to be?

https://www.flickr.c...8736@N05/Ye2n1h

https://www.flickr.c...8736@N05/M15eV3

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:22 AM

Hotel:

http://www.fortworth...6105#entry96865

#11 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Hotel:
http://www.fortworth...6105#entry96865

Thanks JBB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users