46 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Downtown's core is running quickly out of space. When you look at vacant land around the core, there are a few main areas that stick out as underdeveloped. I looked at each of these areas, finding current ownership using TAD,and speculating future land uses for each block. 

The first area I looked into is the Jones street corridor, which has 13 1/2 consecutive blocks which are empty. The area is rather squeezed in, having the downtown core to the west and a hard border of rail lines and highways to the east. Much of the corridor has lots of wonderful potential for development, as it lies between the Convention center and central transit hub of the city.

First, here's a map for reference with some of the landowners along the corridor labelled. North is to the left.

QvTAmkT.png

A little more in depth starting from Left to right.

Performing Arts Fort Worth own 2 lots here, one is an entire block, the other a quarter block sharing land with the Maddox Muse Center. PAFW also owns Bass Hall and the Maddox Muse Center.

Future Speculation - If Bass Hall or the Maddox Muse center ever needed future additions, this would be the place to do it. It would be interesting to see a 2nd venue on the full block, similar to how Dallas’s Wylie Theater compliments the AT&T Performing Arts Center.

Though I didn’t label it, the half block shared with Mt. Gilead is owned by Fort Worth Metro Partners LLC, who plan a 10 story hotel.

Oncor Electric Delivery Co LLC owns the entire block bounded 6th & 7th. Most of the block is surface parking or garage space, but there is also a small dilapidated structure on the block. Oncor seems to use it as a space to park service trucks, which heavily under utilizes the site.

Future Speculation - No idea, would like to see the block sold and the old building restored. Surely Oncor could find a more practical place to store it’s trucks.

WTW Properties owns two lots, the full empty block bounded 7th and 8th, and the ¾ block which is a surface lot and shares the block with the Winfield Building (which has a different owner). WTW, which I assume stands for W.T. Wagoner, is related to XTO, as WTW also owns several XTO blocks downtown (The Wagoner building block, 714 Main, WT Wagoner Building, Petroleum building block) and is probably one of the larger landowners downtown.

Future speculation - As the XTO garage is finishing up, perhaps these blocks will no longer be needed for parking and could be sold off and developed. However, these lots probably serve the XTO employees working in the Binyon O’Keefe building and the buildings on Grove to the east. The close proximity to the ITC and train station make them prime for hotel or mixed use development.

The Transit Authority owns the full block between 8th & Jones.

Future Speculation - Being a city entity, this should be easy to control how this parcel is developed. An ideal spot for transit oriented development, I believe the site would be perfect for the T to team up with the FW Housing Solutions (or some other development entity) and build a mixed use building similar to what is being planned at the T&P station.

The large lot between 9th and 12th is a mess. It’s 3 blocks long and has a hodgepodge of owners. I didn't try to label it. Here’s a small breakdown

- “LITTAUER TR 24 0502 00 5” owns the northern 1/3rd or so
-Several small chunks are owned by individuals it seems, “MIRIAM RUTH KING TRUST ETAL”, “MOSIER BEVERLY ANN”, “GRACIA VALENTIN MD PA”
-The southern chunk along Calhoun is owned by “CITY PARK A LOT LP”
-Where it gets interesting is the eastern half of the block along Jones from 12th and north for a few hundred feet is owned by the Amon Carter Foundation.

Future Speculation - Any development on this block may be difficult due to the mess of ownership. It’s also a superblock, so ideally the city or developers would allow some sort of pedestrian walkways through the block similar to Cityplace. The Carter Foundation owning a big chunk is interesting. There are around 200 properties in the County to the Carter Foundation's name, but nearly all are mineral reserves. I’m curious if anyone out there knows why the foundation owns any land in this area?

Ownership of the half block of surface parking is split between the BAR association and the owner of the rest of the buildings on the block.

Future Speculation - Probably nothing for a while, the lots serve their purpose just fine for the moment. If the block is ever developed, I’d imagine the existing buildings on the block would be torn down.

Texas Wesleyan owns three whole completely empty blocks to support the law school (now A&M) in addition to a fourth block where the school building itself is.

Future Speculation - There has been some talk recently that A&M planning a campus expansion, which could occur on one of these surface blocks as an addition to the existing building which is designed to handle more floors. Lots of options here.

One final block is sandwiched between two A&M owned lots, between 15th & 16th. It is owned by “ EBNETER INV CORP ETAL”, and I have no idea what that means.

Future Speculation - No clue.

Curious to hear everyone else's input! 

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'm at work and don't have any real time to tell you all that I think, but I will as soon as I'm off. 

Good work.

... if you think of doing this for other sections of downtown, see if you can find the lots in the UWS. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

That's a pretty interesting study. It must have taken forever to go over TAD maps and listings. Good work. I've always thought that area being situated in between the ITC and the core of downtown would make it great for residential of some sort.

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

Good to know who owns what. I wish that large lot easier could be partially used for the FWTA. I didn't know A&M had THAT much property downtown.

I could see 1309 Calhoun just building something on that half without demolishing what's there.

7fwPZnE.png

#5 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:33 PM

THIS is some impressive research!

I've always hated this seemingly endless corridor of parking lots, and will be very glad to see what develops in this area.  

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Another thing worth noting about this area, assuming there are 150 surface parking spaces per block (which is a high estimate, most of the blocks don't hold that many) there's around 1,700 spaces in this stretch. For comparison Frost Tower (900 spaces) and XTO Garage (800 spaces) contain the exact same amount of parking capacity but don't even occupy 2 whole blocks. The large garage behind Bass Hall, in a single block, holds 1,500 cars. 

It would be very easy to replace and consolidate every single parking space on along this stretch.

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

I don't foresee large-scale commercial development along either side of Calhoun, because most of the property is owned by public entities and institutions, government and non-profit.  Unless some of the publicly owned  properties are sold to commercial business owners.  With public property dominating the area, I would have expected a beautification of the landscape--trees, gardens, fountains, walkways.  Obviously that hasn't happened. The surface parking lots and railroad tracks add to the blandness. Maybe this will change if another hotel is constructed in the area.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:21 PM

I never did post the other areas. Here's the NW side and the Lancaster corridor.

eWooyQx.jpg

uGn53uP.jpg

#9 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Everyone else was right, this is great Austin6'5"

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

I never did post the other areas. Here's the NW side and the Lancaster corridor.

eWooyQx.jpg

I really hope Firestone decides to go with a highrise. That side of downtown is just begging for taller structures. 

7fwPZnE.png

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

FUMC should build a garage for itself; and cash in on the sell of some highly sought after real estate.  One might wonder who is FUMC's Treasurer? :blink:

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

One might also wonder if they have a religious institution exemption on all of that land or of they are paying taxes to the city for at least some of those lots.

My blog: Doohickie

#13 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:28 AM

One might also wonder if they have a religious institution exemption on all of that land or of they are paying taxes to the city for at least some of those lots.

I've often wondered that about church owned parking lots downtown...

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

I've heard of churches in more suburban settings that had large plots around their churches, and had to put them to some sort of church use to keep their exemptions (which led to a spate of softball fields being built).  If a church has far more parking lot space than they ever use, but use the excess lots to make money (leasing them out to other organizations, charging for parking for special events downtown, etc.), do they move from church use to commercial use?

My blog: Doohickie

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:18 AM

The first post here stated:  "Downtown's core is quickly running out of space."  Since 2017, we've been witnessing downtown peripheral development, both proposed and being constructed.  What is happening is not to the liking of anyone who believes the precious available space should be subjected to thoughtful projects.  Based on my anecdotal observation, the periphery on the east, west, and south is becoming dominated by low-rise, expansive apartment or townhouse projects that consume a lot of land.  That large tract on the southwest fringe will be a QT, so the news reports say.  I'm not against these types of projects, but I think it's wasting downtown land.

The first post focused on the east-side parking lots in the Jones-Calhoun area.  I hope this land is not squandered by further residential projects.

I've always thought of downtowns as being a proper mix of office, hospitality, retail, and residential.  But Fort Worth's downtown appears to be becoming predominantly residential and hospitality--hotels and restaurants--at the risk of having only the few existing buildings devoted to office and retail.

If our downtown eventually runs out of land, I believe urban economics will demand more high-rise construction in the core by imploding old structures.

As to further growth of downtown itself, I think the city should expand the boundaries further east beyond the railroad tracks to encompass some of the existing green space and north to encompass the prospective Trinity River economic developments.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:05 AM

I'm making matters worse by suggesting that we protect the existing historic structures that we currently have.  Most don't have any protection higher than Demolition Delay.  In my opinion, the parking lots should be built upon first before historic buildings are demolished for new construction.

#17 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

Yes, the parking lots should be built onto first.  My point is that, eventually--unless the boundaries of downtown are expanded--downtown will become "land-locked," so to speak.  No further development will be feasible unless old structures are imploded to make way for the new.

Of course what is historical and what is not is a thorny issue.  But if, in the far future, there's no longer a parking lot or other undeveloped tract within the core of downtown, then city planners will have to grapple with that when someone wants to build a 30-60 story office building.  At that point a building of historical value may have to be sacrificed by allowing the developer to commence with demolition. 

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

Yes, unless the boundaries of Downtown are expanded, then it will become "landlocked". Ultimately what "historic" buildings are saved will probably depend on what buildings are ultimately designated as historic on the local level.  If there are no more historic designations on the local level, then I would say that at some point in time, any old building could be fair game to be sacrificed for future development.  Most of our older buildings in Downtown are only designated as Demolition Delay, and that only keeps them standing for 180 days.  For the buildings that carry a local designation, the Landmarks Commission would be required to rule on the building if demolition was to be sought. 

#19 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

One thing left out of our opinionating is that old buildings may not necessarily be demolished. but rather remodeled and converted to another use.  The Sinclar Building is the most recent and widely discussed example.  A developer with a skilled architect could do the same to a building to retain its historic value, provided the project is approved.  I suppose floors could be added, if needed and its structurally feasible (as we read, an additional floor was added to the Sinclair Building).

Not meaning to change the subject, but isn't Manhattan Island "landlocked?"  I wonder how many building implosions/demolitions have occurred there over the years to make way for new construction.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

Johnfwd, you are correct, more buildings could be remodeled and converted from office building to another use, like hotel.  Farmers & Mechanics National Bank (714 Main) will be converted into a hotel, and demolition work is already proceeding at the W.T. Waggoner Building to convert it into a hotel. 

The Sinclair Building before conversion was historically designated at all three levels: national, state, and local.  It is one of the few buildings in the city that has all three designations.  It was also a full tax credit project, where they used the tax credits from all three governmental agencies.  Work on the Sinclair included retaining all of the interior historic elements that were present inside: the lobby, the elevators, the corridor walls and doors, two interior stairways, etc.  The rooftop bar addition was made to be basically concealed behind the parapet on the roof.  The most noticeable changes to the exterior were the extension of one elevator to the roof and its overrun and the code required new exit stair built inside the light well.  Both of these additions were placed on the two non-street side facades.  The Sinclair was not designed originally to have another floor added, but these old buildings were usually overdesigned structurally and most often can support new rooftop elements or a one floor addition.  

Some of our buildings were designed to handle many more floors, and they were never built.  Buildings like that have more latitude on what can be added on the top or on the roof. 

Getting back to the historic buildings, 714 Main and the W.T. Waggoner, like the Sinclair are locally designated as historic buildings.  Therefore, the hotel conversions will have to follow the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.  At the Sinclair, the public spaces were mostly unaltered.  The bank and building lobbies of the W.T. Waggoner are in original condition with the upper floors mostly remodeled.  714 Main has been radically remodeled, both on the interior and exterior over the years.  The exterior was restored, but the original banking lobby is not intact.  In the 1940's, the Fort Worth National Bank air conditioned the building and infilled the three story banking lobby with floors.  Also, for the record, historic designations only cover the exterior of a building.  An owner can do anything they wish with the interior.  I would think that any owner that was restoring an exterior of the building would certainly be equally sensitive to the original elements on the interior.

New York is certainly landlocked, and every time I have visited, I have noted that an older historic (usually smaller) building is being demolished for a newer, larger, skyscraper.  You have to remember one thing, their building stock is so large that they can lose buildings without having a significant impact on their historic building stock.  Quite a few of our buildings are "one of a kind", so losing them makes a major impact on our built environment.  Also, I would like to say that when I visit New York, I see a lot of historic preservation/adaptive re-use, as well.  I've seen many new projects incorporate the old facades of the buildings on the site with new buildings behind.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

There's been a few changes since the original post,

-The Ebneter Lot was purchased by hotel developers who plan a 9 story Hyatt house

-A&M has added plans in their capital improvement plan to develop a new building and garage. 

-XTO left, selling 901 Commerce which is now proposed to be a high-rise apartment building

-XTO also sold "Block TU" to Finley Resources (along with the Binyon O'Keefe building) who manage a portfolio of office buildings.

Barring any changes, I think there's only 2 chances of office development on any of these blocks, either if Finley Resources decides to try and develop/sell their lot (which wont be until after next year as XTO is still leasing the lot) or if Oncor decides to do something with theirs, which has never even been hinted at. All the other lots seem to have a civic, hotel or residential future.

#22 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

A few of these have been discussed in that other thread.  But, now that you have updated us, what's the status of that mixed-use high-rise apartment building planned for 901 Commerce?  Also, the other thread mentions a 350-room Curio hotel for 4th and Houston.  What's at 4th and Houston now?  Is this going to be a conversion of an existing high-rise building?

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

The Sundance Gateway Parking Lot (old Monnig's site) is at 4th & Houston.  This would be the only place it could go at the intersection.  The Sanger Lofts and the Woolworth Building are both official historic landmarks, and The Westbrook was just built with Sundance Square Plaza. 

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

Downtown's core is running quickly out of space. When you look at vacant land around the core, there are a few main areas that stick out as underdeveloped. I looked at each of these areas, finding current ownership using TAD,and speculating future land uses for each block. 

The first area I looked into is the Jones street corridor, which has 13 1/2 consecutive blocks which are empty. The area is rather squeezed in, having the downtown core to the west and a hard border of rail lines and highways to the east. Much of the corridor has lots of wonderful potential for development, as it lies between the Convention center and central transit hub of the city.

First, here's a map for reference with some of the landowners along the corridor labelled. North is to the left.

QvTAmkT.png

The Transit Authority owns the full block between 8th & Jones.

Future Speculation - Being a city entity, this should be easy to control how this parcel is developed. An ideal spot for transit oriented development, I believe the site would be perfect for the T to team up with the FW Housing Solutions (or some other development entity) and build a mixed use building similar to what is being planned at the T&P station.

I had not fully digested the fact that FWTA owned this full block.

Austin, you would think so when it comes to an easy time.

But FWTA is never going to be accused of having logic or doing things in an easy way.  For some inexplicable reason, FWTA decided to make its first project with FWHA @T&P. It has been a struggle and a poor example of its expertise (lack of) and the project is in need of a "tow" as it is seems to have had a "mechanical breakdown"!

Instead, a FWHA/Hotel/and parking would have been an excellent start for FWTA. and it would now have something to showcase.

K.I.S.S. :wacko:

#25 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:51 AM

Austin, you would think so when it comes to an easy time.

But FWTA is never going to be accused of having logic or doing things in an easy way.  For some inexplicable reason, FWTA decided to make its first project with FWHA @T&P. It has been a struggle and a poor example of its expertise (lack of) and the project is in need of a "tow" as it is seems to have had a "mechanical breakdown"!

Instead, a FWHA/Hotel/and parking would have been an excellent start for FWTA. and it would now have something to showcase.

K.I.S.S. :wacko:

Weren't you saying the other day that T&P Station should be considered Fort Worth's flagship station instead of Central Station?

If Trinity Metro wanted to build something on this lot before the T&P lot, how do you know they wouldn't struggle to get something going on this lot as well?

That said, I'd be real interested in seeing what Trinity Metro proposes for this lot.

-Dylan

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:46 PM

Weren't you saying the other day that T&P Station should be considered Fort Worth's flagship station instead of Central Station?

If Trinity Metro wanted to build something on this lot before the T&P lot, how do you know they wouldn't struggle to get something going on this lot as well?

That said, I'd be real interested in seeing what Trinity Metro proposes for this lot.

Yes, I did say just that! If you are unable to appreciate the T&P Terminal, than that your problem.

Of course, FWTA would struggle; it does seem to struggle in one way or another with every thing that it is involved with.

I'm not privy to the land acquisition that was needed or was not needed for the Katy Loft (Vickery) to place; but, if FWTA is unable to develop a tract of land that it owns and is directly across from FWCS, then something crazy as hell is up with FWTA strategic planning.

Make it make sense to me!

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:00 PM

Since the 1st post,

A&M swapped lots with the Sheraton, so now the Sheraton has the lot in the furthest SE and A&M has three continuous blocks.

The WTW property block is currently for sale, paired with the Binyon O'Keefe Building. 

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:21 PM

With the Deco and future residential projects coming to Jones Street, the BOkB with parking is ideally suited for a Sprout or Aldi Grocery.  The four upper levels could be boutique office spaces and the street and second level dedicated to a grocery store. 

If FW desires to have 5,000 people living in DTFW, here is where an incentive should be presented to a grocer to take up the street level of BOkB.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

#29 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:26 AM

You have a good point about the need for a supermarket downtown.  This is particularly so because of the completion of Burnett Lofts and the planned residential tower at 8th and Commerce.  The only grocery-type store within walking distance of these new dwellers is the Walgreens at Texas Street and Henderson.  The closest within driving distance is the Target in the West 7th area.

#30 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:24 AM

For step-up items there is Neighbor's House Grocery:

https://neighbors-ho...y.myshopify.com

#31 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:47 AM

500 West Seventh.  That's within walking distance of my downtown office.  I'll check it out.

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:09 AM

You are forgetting about the Tom Thumb on West 7th in Left Bank.  It is a few hundred yards closer to the core of Downtown than Super Target.

#33 MorganRehnberg

MorganRehnberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:50 PM

You are forgetting about the Tom Thumb on West 7th in Left Bank.  It is a few hundred yards closer to the core of Downtown than Super Target.

Its also right on the high-frequency #2 bus line, for those embracing a drive-less downtown lifestyle.

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:10 PM

Well, I'm wishing for a grocery store in the vain of Tom Thumb Uptown Dallas; and while it is not in the old traditional part of DTD, it is considered to be since the two halves of DTD is only separated by a highway.

Would it be asking to much to have a Tom Thumb, Sprout or Aldi in the core of DTFW especially if the goal of FW is to attract more living in DTFW.  The Binyon Okeefe Building would make an ideal spot for a grocery store for people living along Samuel, Lancaster and even Henderson, and with the future development along Jones/Commerce too.

#35 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:53 PM

Just east of Downtown Austin, there is an urban donut-style apartment complex with a miniature Target and a miniature Whole Foods on the ground floor.

https://www.google.c...!7i16384!8i8192

It would be great to see a miniature Target or miniature Whole Foods in Downtown Fort Worth.

-Dylan

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:27 PM

That miniature Whole Foods is 1.25 miles from their flagship store on the west side of Downtown Austin.  That's really not very far, and they are both located on the same street.  (5th)  The are separated by I-35.  Depending on where the miniature Target is located in our downtown, it could be closer or further as the crow flies from the Super Target in Montgomery Plaza.  However, due to the street grid, by walking distance, it would be further.

#37 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:51 AM

Here's another example of an urban Whole Foods in Seattle.  This would be nice to see in Downtown FW.

https://goo.gl/maps/RZ2gWgpetqPWH5BU6

#38 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:01 PM

Here's another example of an urban Whole Foods in Seattle.  This would be nice to see in Downtown FW.

https://goo.gl/maps/RZ2gWgpetqPWH5BU6

That would be great but developers do not want to take that type of risk here in FW unfortunately.

#39 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:09 AM

I forgot about the Tom Thumb on West Seventh.  And the Whole Foods about a mile west of downtown Austin is pretty convenient, I guess.

But I thought we were discussing grocery store locations in downtown Fort Worth itself--within walking distance if you live in one of the few residential towers or one of the many apartment complexes in or very near downtown.  

I'm a single person  so  the challenge of hauling a lot of groceries is not my problem.  I could live downtown, buy a plastic bag or two full of a few items, and walk back to my high-rise residential tower.  But If I were the head of a household of four, I would buy a lot of groceries to pile in the trunk of my car.  I suppose that's why major supermarkets cater to family-sized motorists, and certainly not to pedestrians.  Downtown supermarkets were replaced by suburban shopping after WW2.  Located on large tracts of land with easy access to vehicular traffic and plenty of free parking spaces.  Maybe if we demolished some buildings in DTFW to clear the land for a big grocery store with plenty of free parking?  I know buses run through downtown, but I wouldn't want to carry three or four bags of groceries onto a bus.

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:28 AM

I know it's far from a supermarket but is everyone forgetting about Neighbors House Grocery? Paired with the downtown CVS/Walgreens locations for more everyday items there's quite a lot of needs that can be met downtown. Again, no it's not as convenient as having an entire superstore but does a good job at covering most of the basics.

#41 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:50 PM

Is delivery such as Instacart going to affect the demand for urban groceries like we're discussing here?  Are most apartment residents using grocery delivery services rather than conventional in-store shopping?

Is it likely grocers decide to serve downtown residents via delivery rather than going to challenge of an urban footprint store?

Even with our >10,000 residents Downtown, its pretty hard to pick a location that is within 1/4 mile of a super high concentration of residents where they can reliably travel on foot (and carry groceries home).  

#42 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:29 AM

Is delivery such as Instacart going to affect the demand for urban groceries like we're discussing here?  Are most apartment residents using grocery delivery services rather than conventional in-store shopping?

Is it likely grocers decide to serve downtown residents via delivery rather than going to challenge of an urban footprint store?

Even with our >10,000 residents Downtown, its pretty hard to pick a location that is within 1/4 mile of a super high concentration of residents where they can reliably travel on foot (and carry groceries home).  

Well... there are plenty of open options in Sundance at the moment...

063748_003_web.jpg

F.W._Woolworth_Building_in_Fort_Worth.JP

citynb-2017.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#43 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:54 PM

Churches should turn all church parking lots into green space with subterranean parking below. Parking structures in downtown should be converted into subterranean garages with park space above. There would be plenty of parks.

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 09:37 PM

Welcome to the forum!

#45 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 10:28 PM

500 West Seventh.  That's within walking distance of my downtown office.  I'll check it out.

Did they not already sell alcohol or is this a re-up permit filing?

Record AD23-00044: 
Alcohol Distance Check
Record Status: Accepted

Project Description:
Neighbor's House Grocery
FB-Food and Beverage Certificate MB- Mixed Beverage Restaurant

#46 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 08:02 PM

Did they not already sell alcohol or is this a re-up permit filing?

Record AD23-00044: 
Alcohol Distance Check
Record Status: Accepted

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

Project Description:
Neighbor's House Grocery
FB-Food and Beverage Certificate MB- Mixed Beverage Restaurant

They have a prominent wine selection, https://maps.app.goo...iRFdRkMqySLYoc6

#47 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 10 March 2023 - 11:12 PM

Looks like they have an FB Food and Beverage Certificate and an MB Mixed Beverage Restaurant permit from TABC:

https://www.tabc.tex...e-permit-types/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users