92 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

I do this a lot, like Jeriat. I dream a bit smaller most of the time.

I'll post stuff as I come up with it. Hope to start some discussion!

First thing I addressed is the empty lot next to The Kress building, along 5th street. I wanted something modern, residential, and as always, street front retail. I looked to the west coast to find something I liked to occupy the 50' by 200" foot lot. This building would probably look more at home in W7, but I wanted something different in downtown. To prevent an overtake of modern along the whole block, the corner of 5th and Houston I proposed a more historic brick facade building. I reality this would probably be required to be parking, but perhaps underground parking could be worked out somehow. I'm no engineer.
Please excuse how crude this is, I haven't used SU in almost 4 years. I tried to Photoshop it onto the lot with streetveiw but failed.

From Main
Posted Image

Houston
Posted Image

I hope ya'll enjoy!

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

As you guys probably know, I'm not completely pro-skyscraper for Fort Worth. I like them, but the do present some issues.
Looking for inspiration around other cities, I singled out Tulsa's Mid-Continent tower as something I could imagine in FTW. It's a 513 foot tower that was built over top of an older building in 1984. Obviously, it looks quite different from anything else built in the 80's, retaining a historic style. I really like this building, it isnt overwhelming, not very big on its lot, and just looks great.

So I used Sketchup's 3D warehouse to download a model of it and plop it in Fort Worth. This thing has a very small footprint, about 130' by 100'. It could be placed in any of several locations in downtown, for this example I placed it the intersection of 5th and Lamar.
Posted Image

Whenever I hear people say that Fort Worth needs a signature tower, I always envisioned what I consider the best signature tower of any American City, Charlotte's 871ft BOA tower by Ceasar Pelli. Turns out, its footprint is about 200x200. Ofcourse, any signiture tower should be at the heart of the city and the center of the skyline, and the obvious choice here is the landmark lot. Street front retail and all that, looks pretty cool I think.
So here it, poorly rendered into FW in GE.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So how about it?

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Very cool. I love the idea of dropping existing buildings from other cities into FW to see what it looks like.

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Thanks! If anyone has any suggestions of buildings or lots, give me a holler :)

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

It almost fits! I looked around for other good NHL and NBA arenas which would looks good and fit in well with the grid, and there arent any really. I love Schwarz.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

It might be interesting to see what arena Schwartz would design for that location.

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

I gotta say, you are part of the reason why I started making models of my own, Austin.

I like the fill-in space you did for what I'm assuming is that lot next to the Kress Building. And I've thought of having a new arena replacing the current UFO (although we know now it's just gonna be more convention space), but I saw another spot in in downtown that may make a pretty good spot for an NBA/NHL tier arena....

Think Lancaster.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

We are the late night sketchup visioners of Fort Worth aren't we?

Lancaster, hmm. I don't spot anything immediately obvious along that road, at least not until you cross the river into the Cultural district.

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

We are the late night sketchup visioners of Fort Worth aren't we?

Lancaster, hmm. I don't spot anything immediately obvious along that road, at least not until you cross the river into the Cultural district.

Well, you could replace a couple buildings right across the street from City Hal...er, I mean the Post Office and T&P Warehouse...

In fact, there are plans to build mixed-use buildings right on that line between the Water Gardens and Zipper Building right now.

7fwPZnE.png

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

^Is there a thread or anything with more info on those buildings?

My attempt to give W.T. Waggoner some friends. Inspired by a lot of building from around D.C., its meant to be a small office building with ground floor retail, of course. Its short enough to not block any (or close, anyway) of Waggoner's backside windows. Setbacks from the street allow room for outdoor seating, bike racks, or perhaps a public art installation as I've shown here. It uses brick and stone to keep with Fort Worth's historic look, but stays modern by using glass and metallic awnings and buttresses.
This only takes up about another 1/4 of the block, I'll show my plans for the rest of it at some point.

Posted Image

How's it look?

#11 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I love the speculatin'. Cool project Austin55. One of my favorite buildings these days is the new Gehry apartment building in lower Manhattan (the tallest building in the pic below). Wonder what something like that would look like in Fort Worth?

Posted Image

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

I think it would be very interesting to have a building like this in Fort Worth. It's height is 870 feet, so it would certainly be the tallest building in the city by a long shot.

#13 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Yep, it's time Fort Worth got a Gehry. It doesn't have to be 80 stories tall, but the city has a nice collection of signature buildings by recognized architects but no Gehry yet.

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

^Is there a thread or anything with more info on those buildings?

My attempt to give W.T. Waggoner some friends. Inspired by a lot of building from around D.C., its meant to be a small office building with ground floor retail, of course. Its short enough to not block any (or close, anyway) of Waggoner's backside windows. Setbacks from the street allow room for outdoor seating, bike racks, or perhaps a public art installation as I've shown here. It uses brick and stone to keep with Fort Worth's historic look, but stays modern by using glass and metallic awnings and buttresses.
This only takes up about another 1/4 of the block, I'll show my plans for the rest of it at some point.

Posted Image

How's it look?

There's a thread on it somewhere... just can't find it at the moment. But here's Downtown FW Inc. site for it.

That would be a nice infill to that block. Another thing we're missing is another sculpture...

7fwPZnE.png

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for that link, I have seen that before. That would really be a great improvement to that street, so much potential.
Often I'll think, "I wish FW had itself a big, signature public sculpture" and the I remember man with a briefcase! Very distinctly Fort Worth. Sculpture's are a lot of fun to make in SU, by the way.

So here are some Gehry's. This towers materials and shape just cant be reflected very well in 3d on a 2d screen.
It is suprising that FW doesnt have a Gehry, or even DFW as a whole. Actually I guess
Texas as a whole lacks one.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Or how about Casa Manana 2.0?
Posted Image

While were on the subject of celebritychitects, here's on of my favorites, a Foster.
Posted Image

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Austin55, do you know the history behind the Foster building -- The Hearst Tower? The tower has an interesting history.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

About how the podium is a prewar highrise? I am. Thank you Judith Dupre, I loved her books when I was to young for the internet. http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/1579121535

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Yes, the base of the building was built in 1928 as a base for a future skyscraper. Since that first design was a little more traditional, the Foster tower required the building be demolished except for the facades and a new structure put on the inside to support the non-traditional skyscraper structure. The base's facade was declared a New York City Landmark to make sure it was preserved.

#19 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Oklahoma City's new Devon Tower looks a little like the Gehry apartment building in Manhattan and as you placed a similar model in downtown FW. After reviewing all your sketches, I like your suggested 5th and Lamar model drawn from the Tulsa Mid-Continent building. Now if only someone can convince a local developer it's a marketable idea!

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Some more of my vision of the Waggoner block, another small office. This time there is a more modern glass facade with a random and unique pattern, with more traditional stone windows at the edges. A curving, wavy roof is something completely different for Downtown, and would provide a unique interior space and leading to an outdoor balcony.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I used some of London's Quay's Wharf development (modeled by jake martin) and placed it in the lots west of the CC. These buildings are rather boxy and boring, but they fit in well with the skyline. The most interesting thing about it to me is how this 3 highrise and 4 midrise complex changes the skyline, without making it to tall, and not really interfering with any existing historic buildings or walkability. It makes the city look much more international and important.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

I find it both sad and hilarious that it doesn't take much at all to dramatically alter our skyline.

And we really need something on those surface lots, too. They're RIGHT NEXT to both the ITC and Convention Center, two very important places to visitors. That area could also use the "Sundance Treatment" (like Lancaster, the Upper Westside, and Burnett Plaza) so I'd hope that with this hotel they're building, it could jumpstart that vision.

Oh btw, I think the ground floor of this strip you built could use a CVS since several people ask where the nearest drug store is in downtown.

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Jerriat, ever been to Rays pharmacy? http://www.rayspharmacy.com/locations/ It's just down broad street from the Mansfield Olivers. It feels very out of place, in a good way, because it is more of an "urban" design, it got offices and a doctor upstairs, is a small business that sells little crafts along with usual pharmacy stuff, and the connected soda fountain (Suzie Q's) next door is pretty cool. The neon sign is especially fun. If you took it out of it's parking lot and plopped it in any corner in any urban area in Fort Worth it'd fit right in.

Better than a CVS anyway.

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

placed it in the lots west of the CC.

That looks sharp, but it's on the east side of the convention center.

And we really need something on those surface lots, too.

^This^ times 100. Getting anything other than surface parking on those lots is key to breaking that invisible height barrier that so many on this site like to fantasize about.

Isn't the Ray's Pharmacy that was mentioned the remnant of a large chain of rural, independent pharmacies? Seems like I remember the original Ray's in Mansfield being located on Broad near the old downtown area years ago.

#25 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Jerriat, ever been to Rays pharmacy? http://www.rayspharmacy.com/locations/ It's just down broad street from the Mansfield Olivers. It feels very out of place, in a good way, because it is more of an "urban" design, it got offices and a doctor upstairs, is a small business that sells little crafts along with usual pharmacy stuff, and the connected soda fountain (Suzie Q's) next door is pretty cool. The neon sign is especially fun. If you took it out of it's parking lot and plopped it in any corner in any urban area in Fort Worth it'd fit right in.

Better than a CVS anyway.

Never heard of it.

But would be good to have some kind of pharmacy somewhere in Sundance...

7fwPZnE.png

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

Something more fun and simple, bike rack based on this,
http://www.flickr.co...es-chitownluvr/

Posted Image

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Had the Austonian been built here. Model by Priller.

ausinfw1_zps8b58bc45.png

ausinfw2_zps8301f522.png

#28 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

As a professional myself, I applaud those who maintain their academia-shaped idealism in whatever field, including architecture.  Inevitably runs up against reality, of course, and we're sometimes forced to make adjustments accordingly..  I enjoy the imaginative renderings of you guys (Jeriat, Austin55), anyway.  Any guess as to when (or if) another major high-rise Class A office building will be proposed for downtown Fort Worth?

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Well I think what the above pictures show how another nearby city has developed recently, just an interesting comparison showing Austin's new tallest in the Fort Worth skyline. Just think about how different Austin looked just 10 years ago. They've built 9 highrises over 300 feet, 8 of which are mostly hotel or residential. 

As for when a highrise class A? I'm no expert, but I guess the first step is rumors that stem from someone needing office, around here it's usually XTO. But those rumors are rather sparse and unrealistic. 

#30 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

As a professional myself, I applaud those who maintain their academia-shaped idealism in whatever field, including architecture.  Inevitably runs up against reality, of course, and we're sometimes forced to make adjustments accordingly..  I enjoy the imaginative renderings of you guys (Jeriat, Austin55), anyway.  Any guess as to when (or if) another major high-rise Class A office building will be proposed for downtown Fort Worth?

Thanks... and your guess is as good as mine. 

Our vacancy rate seems to be enough for at least one more 500 footer. 

7fwPZnE.png

#31 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Look closely...

WHOA_zps920cd527.png

#32 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Look closely...

WHOA_zps920cd527.png

I spotted them pretty quickly (Wells Fargo and The Tower) but they can easily get lost in Manhattan. 

7fwPZnE.png

#33 Corsicana33

Corsicana33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cars, Six Flags, Architecture, Cooking, Roadtrips and Having Fun

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

Don't forget the Courthouse is in the pic also.

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Of all the lots in Downtown where a new highrise could potentially be built, the one bounded by Lamar, Taylor, 5th and 6th is my favorite. Why? It's not an entire lot. There is two blank sides of an ugly building in the way, and right now it is just a surface lot. On two sides, there are really neat Historic buildings, the YMCA and old Star-Telegram buildings. The stretch of Lamar to the north is very pretty, covered by fully grown trees. If you were to walk between Sundance and Burnett park, this would be the shortest route, but I bet you wouldn't, because it isn't the most pleasant  I feel like this lot has a lot of potential, but right now there isn't a lot to do to attract a pedestrian. It's a huge hole in what could be a big step towards expanding the nice parts of downtown.

emptylot_zps17ccab75.png

It's also, in my opinion, a prime spot for a highrise. Not a lot of views being blocked from The Tower (The only thing it's really blocking out is Burnett Plaza, so maybe I'm doing you a favor :P ) No views of historic highrises being blocked, A relatively prominent spot from the West and South, etc etc.

Here's what I drew up. It's 510 footer, 25 floors of office above a 5 story parking podium with retail on the ground floor. 

newtower2_zpsdf1f8158.png

newtower-1_zps25048fe6.png

#35 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I would like to see a 10 story building on the block bounded by Florence St., Texas St., Macon St. and 13th St. The location would allow for easy access to I-30. 

Adrian

#36 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Of all the lots in Downtown where a new highrise could potentially be built, the one bounded by Lamar, Taylor, 5th and 6th is my favorite. Why? It's not an entire lot. There is two blank sides of an ugly building in the way, and right now it is just a surface lot. On two sides, there are really neat Historic buildings, the YMCA and old Star-Telegram buildings. The stretch of Lamar to the north is very pretty, covered by fully grown trees. If you were to walk between Sundance and Burnett park, this would be the shortest route, but I bet you wouldn't, because it isn't the most pleasant  I feel like this lot has a lot of potential, but right now there isn't a lot to do to attract a pedestrian. It's a huge hole in what could be a big step towards expanding the nice parts of downtown.

emptylot_zps17ccab75.png

It's also, in my opinion, a prime spot for a highrise. Not a lot of views being blocked from The Tower (The only thing it's really blocking out is Burnett Plaza, so maybe I'm doing you a favor :P ) No views of historic highrises being blocked, A relatively prominent spot from the West and South, etc etc.

Here's what I drew up. It's 510 footer, 25 floors of office above a 5 story parking podium with retail on the ground floor. 

newtower2_zpsdf1f8158.png

newtower-1_zps25048fe6.png

Damn that looks good! 

7fwPZnE.png

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Jeriat-stealing your teaser idea, even though you've already seen this.

1-16_zps9c520abb.png

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

A little bit ago Jeriat asked where where Fort Worth oughta build a MLS stadium. I liked the West 7th/ left bank area the best, as he showed here. I came up with my own plan for the site.

305532_4464434982431_1917772777_n.jpg

Now stadiums aren't my forte, so I did some research on recently built MLS stadiums around the country and found a few that I liked there style, my favorite being the multi-use Livestrong Field in Kansas City.

http://www.sportingk...dium/fact-sheet

So, I went and found that someone else has already modeled it. I downloaded the model by "Ryan", did some quick modifications, built up some plans for a rail station on the nearby tracks, built up the surrounding area and got everything roughly modeled.

So here is the plan view!

livestrongfortworth2_zpsdf71b1d6.png

The south side of the stadium backs up directly to 7th street, on the left it is against the freight track corridor, with room for a possible commuter rail stop. A plaza is located on the southwest side. Parking is on the north side, along with a connecting road to Montgomery plaza and additional potential parking. On the West side is a new street and large drop off and outdoor gathering areas pre game. Across the street, multi use development, good spots for potential sports bars and offices or condominiums in west 7th style.

The stadium itself is multi use, primary use is soccer games, but small level football, and soccer games, outdoor concerts, Capacity is around 18,000 for Games and 25,000 for concerts.

livestrongfortworth3_zps89aa885e.png

#39 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

A little bit ago Jeriat asked where where Fort Worth oughta build a MLS stadium. I liked the West 7th/ left bank area the best, as he showed here. I came up with my own plan for the site.

305532_4464434982431_1917772777_n.jpg

Now stadiums aren't my forte, so I did some research on recently built MLS stadiums around the country and found a few that I liked there style, my favorite being the multi-use Livestrong Field in Kansas City.

http://www.sportingk...dium/fact-sheet

So, I went and found that someone else has already modeled it. I downloaded the model by "Ryan", did some quick modifications, built up some plans for a rail station on the nearby tracks, built up the surrounding area and got everything roughly modeled.

So here is the plan view!

livestrongfortworth2_zpsdf71b1d6.png

The south side of the stadium backs up directly to 7th street, on the left it is against the freight track corridor, with room for a possible commuter rail stop. A plaza is located on the southwest side. Parking is on the north side, along with a connecting road to Montgomery plaza and additional potential parking. On the West side is a new street and large drop off and outdoor gathering areas pre game. Across the street, multi use development, good spots for potential sports bars and offices or condominiums in west 7th style.

The stadium itself is multi use, primary use is soccer games, but small level football, and soccer games, outdoor concerts, Capacity is around 18,000 for Games and 25,000 for concerts.

livestrongfortworth3_zps89aa885e.png

Love the set up and Livestrong Park (or whatever it's called now, thanks to a certain Texan biker that will not be named) and it would be a nice mid-link between the Cultural District / West 7th and Downtown / the Trinity. 

Although we already know what's goin' up in this area, I could see this. 

P.S., the train station is a nice touch. 

7fwPZnE.png

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

SInce OKC was a hot topic recently, here's Devon on the Landmark lot. It BARELY fits, all of its podium has been removed really, I can't realistically see such a tall structure being built on a single block in FW, and it'd be more likely to build on a superblock IE Omni. 

The Dangr.Dave view

devonfw1_zpsbe88b5f9.png

devonfw2_zpsd2d0b68b.png

devonfw3_zpsbc09402f.png

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Spain's Pei Cobb Torre Espacio has always been a really pretty example of an modern office tower to me. It's footprint of approx. 150x150" is an easy fit and it's 755 foot height would make it far and away the new tallest in the city without being to overwhelming. 

355px-Torre_Espacio_%28Madrid%29_09a.jpg

espaco2-1.jpg

espacio-1.jpg

Torre De Cristal in the same context. This one is a Pelli, 819 feet. 

cristal.jpg

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

9th Street as it stands now is such a waste of potential. At one end, you have the municipal buildings and a transit oriented park. At the other, you have Fort Worth's central transit hub for busses, b bikes, and heavy rail. Along the 5 block stretch between these two you have the southern terminus of Main, another park, the north end of the Convention Center, and along the edges of this are newly paved, wide sidewalks that are ready to handle development. 

The empty blocks right outside of the ITC along 9th seem like such a great place for transit oriented development, along with a large retail strip along 9th street. 

Again, instead of making my own buildings,I found some I liked from Portland. As is often mentioned, Portland shares FW's 200x200 foot blocks so Portland transplants were easy to make. All of the Portland buildings were from "buildportland"

I did make one of my own designs however. Not satisfied with a small hotel proposed at 9th and Commerce, I made my own. It's basically another Convention Center hotel, In this case a W Hotel and Residence. Ground floor retail sits below a 6 story parking podium, above that is 540 feet of floor space, and a total spire height of 620 feet. Yes, new tallest. Barely. 

ANYWAY pictures. 
9th1.jpg

9th2.png

9th3.png

Whotelfortworth00-1.jpg

#43 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

9th Street as it stands now is such a waste of potential. At one end, you have the municipal buildings and a transit oriented park. At the other, you have Fort Worth's central transit hub for busses, b bikes, and heavy rail. Along the 5 block stretch between these two you have the southern terminus of Main, another park, the north end of the Convention Center, and along the edges of this are newly paved, wide sidewalks that are ready to handle development. 

The empty blocks right outside of the ITC along 9th seem like such a great place for transit oriented development, along with a large retail strip along 9th street. 

Again, instead of making my own buildings,I found some I liked from Portland. As is often mentioned, Portland shares FW's 200x200 foot blocks so Portland transplants were easy to make. All of the Portland buildings were from "buildportland"

I did make one of my own designs however. Not satisfied with a small hotel proposed at 9th and Commerce, I made my own. It's basically another Convention Center hotel, In this case a W Hotel and Residence. Ground floor retail sits below a 6 story parking podium, above that is 540 feet of floor space, and a total spire height of 620 feet. Yes, new tallest. Barely. 

ANYWAY pictures. 
9th1.jpg

9th2.png

9th3.png

Whotelfortworth00-1.jpg

Again, good job, man. 

Love the design and I gotta tell ya, we're definitely going to need more CC hotels in the not too distant future. Would be good to see all this go up and maybe see 9th Street develop into a unique retail corridor. 

Now if only Worth Square was... something else. 

7fwPZnE.png

#44 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

sVSvau4.jpg

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Since the the building from post #34 actually has something proposed on it now (Jetta Holdings) i figured I'd quickly revisit that with GE's newly fully modeled downtown. 

r2wu7aS.jpg

YG6vYo6.jpg

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

With all the talk of arenas and hotels, here's my previously shown W hotel concept, 9th street TOD from Portland, and arena from Salt lake City. 

GW8l5In.jpg

UN0lO6v.jpg

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

GW8l5In.jpg

UN0lO6v.jpg

Looks good. Would look even better with a straightened Commerce. 

Still, I'm pretty sure that when they demolish the current arena, they're just going to replace it with more space and meeting rooms. At least, that's what was originally thrown out... 

7fwPZnE.png

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:38 AM

Coming of Jeriats's thread, my ideas. 

First, no plans on demolishing Tarrant County Plaza. If it's functional, may as well save it. The sunken plaza would reamin aswell, though I don't like them, they integrate in with the building as well as Tandy Center. They could perhaps be resigned to make them more welcoming. 

The parking lot is where the action starts. The road (Lamar) would remain curved through, but realigned and opened to vehicular traffic and designed to encourage walking and biking. The short section of 1st would be left open as a pedestrian passage into the area. These adaptions would allow for an easy return to grid form in case of a demolition of TCPlaza, the Lirbary, or city place.  

Being next to a jail, there's probably no demand for residents or offices across the street in the north part of the lot. So, there would a new central police station, perhaps more cells or courtrooms if needed. This is further explained further down. The building would be approximately 10 floors. Parking would be below ground, or perhaps integrated into the buildings. 

The southern half of the lot would have a 2-3 story building to preserve views from Hunter Plaza. This building would be built as needed, more city offices, jails, courtrooms, or a garage. 

6ljRgOr.jpg

Now, this whole complex would serve as a replacement for the current Criminal Courts & Jail building, and the Thomas Wyndham Police Buildings. Those two would get torn down. They are eyesores on the bluff. The historic Criminal Justice building would not be altered. 

wCjqLZO.jpg

The garage, while ugly, would be left, and the land would be turned over to developers, who could build highrise residential on the land and reuse the garage. This area is not only in a better location than the superblock as it is closer to Sundance and has better access to TCC/Radioshack, but it would also offer stunning views of the upcoming Panther Island and would be right on the lake. The buildings could look different, I just built them this way to cover up what is existing.

NfX9bGS.jpg

HhPonzh.jpg

#49 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

Coming of Jeriats's thread, my ideas. 

First, no plans on demolishing Tarrant County Plaza. If it's functional, may as well save it. The sunken plaza would reamin aswell, though I don't like them, they integrate in with the building as well as Tandy Center. They could perhaps be resigned to make them more welcoming. 

The parking lot is where the action starts. The road (Lamar) would remain curved through, but realigned and opened to vehicular traffic and designed to encourage walking and biking. The short section of 1st would be left open as a pedestrian passage into the area. These adaptions would allow for an easy return to grid form in case of a demolition of TCPlaza, the Lirbary, or city place.  

Being next to a jail, there's probably no demand for residents or offices across the street in the north part of the lot. So, there would a new central police station, perhaps more cells or courtrooms if needed. This is further explained further down. The building would be approximately 10 floors. Parking would be below ground, or perhaps integrated into the buildings. 

The southern half of the lot would have a 2-3 story building to preserve views from Hunter Plaza. This building would be built as needed, more city offices, jails, courtrooms, or a garage. 

6ljRgOr.jpg

Now, this whole complex would serve as a replacement for the current Criminal Courts & Jail building, and the Thomas Wyndham Police Buildings. Those two would get torn down. They are eyesores on the bluff. The historic Criminal Justice building would not be altered. 

wCjqLZO.jpg

The garage, while ugly, would be left, and the land would be turned over to developers, who could build highrise residential on the land and reuse the garage. This area is not only in a better location than the superblock as it is closer to Sundance and has better access to TCC/Radioshack, but it would also offer stunning views of the upcoming Panther Island and would be right on the lake. The buildings could look different, I just built them this way to cover up what is existing.

NfX9bGS.jpg

HhPonzh.jpg

Huh... I didn't even think about the  Criminal Courts & Jail building, and the Thomas Wyndham Police Buildings. But then again, how many people DO?

Interesting concept. Still not wanting to keep the current Tarrant County Plaza office building, but I personally just don't like its position on the block.

The replacement building(s) could certainly be a bright spot for that part of downtown. I could see something like a Hines @ Market Square, only skinnier...

7fwPZnE.png

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

Playing around with the infamous central city block. This tower is meant for a large corporate office hq or similar. The look is inspired by several recent buildings, the sleek flat glass in geometric joins that is popular lately, seen on 1WTC, The Cira Center, or NYC's BOFA, with a central section inspired by some of Fosters work, such as HBC Tower.

The building would basically be two skyscrapers, a shorter 610 foot, ~50 floor building, and a taller 640 foot tower. Each floor would have around 10k sqft of usable office space, but due to the shape each floor would be slightly smaller. The glass would be smooth and flat, and the corners would be covered in metal similar to 1WTC.

Both towers have opposing glass crowns, bringing the tallest height crown height to 690 feet. An additional pinnacle height of 747 is achieved through the use of a spire/antennae. These would be lit at night, similar to BOFANYC.

The two towers would be connected by a central section divided into 8 vertical sections, which would be sky gardens or sky atriums. Each atrium would be around 6 thousand square feet and would be around 75 feet tall. The office space would be open, similar to Honk Kong's HSBC tower or Llyods of London. The sections would be open on the East and West to allow the most natural light. On the exterior, darker glass with mullions would be used for the facade, and there would be 8 large X beams corresponding to each atrium. In the event that more office space is needed, these sections could be filled with actual floors. 

The ground floor would be set back slightly from Throckmorton, allowing a small plaza and drop off lane at one of the main entrances, and leaving views of the Fort Worth Club building. The 7th street face would have the utility access and sidewalk retail. Houston would have the main pedestrian entrance into the lower atrium. Both side of the entrance would also have retail slots. 6th street's side would have the largest retail slot, with a large patio and unique awning that mimics the shape of the tower.

The building would feature many environmental and sustainable features, such as those found on BOFA or the Comcast center, with particular attention being payed to using efficient and cool glass and reducing water use. 

View from above

tOvdV6K.png

Some skyline shots

mw2xqor.jpg

qqkXQiP.jpg

GRfzZYn.jpg

Compared to some of the regions tallest

jeXiEH0.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users