9 replies to this topic

#1 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

I didn't see a topic for this building.  I think it houses City of Fort Worth workers now and just wanted to mention that they did a full replacement of all exterior windows within the last month or so.  The windows look nice but seem a little strange to me by  how shiny they are when the sun hits them.

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

Address?

My blog: Doohickie

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

The specific location is the southwest corner of Monroe & 10th.  The actual address is 900 Monroe St.  It is one of those buildings that was built initially at 2 stories, and was designed for four total.  Later on, the upper two floors were added on top.

#4 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

It is connected to the Lone Star Gas building.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

In looking at the old aerial photographs of downtown, the blank walled space between the two buildings used to be open.  At some point, that area became an addition to either one of the buildings.  I always thought it was a part of the Professional Building (formerly Miller's Mutual), but it could have easily been an addition to Lone Star Gas.  I might should try to look at the old photographs more closely.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

In looking at the old aerial photographs of downtown, the blank walled space between the two buildings used to be open.  At some point, that area became an addition to either one of the buildings.  I always thought it was a part of the Professional Building (formerly Miller's Mutual), but it could have easily been an addition to Lone Star Gas.  I might should try to look at the old photographs more closely.

So these are, if true, two buildings that the City owns or leases for staffing that I am suggesting could be vacated by shifting the staff to renovated space in the T&P Warehouse if and when the warehouse is acquired through in any means.  Vacated, these building could be sold to private developers to offset the costs of acquiring and renovating the City's cost to upgrade its portion of the T&P Warehouse.  Another tenant in the warehouse could be TAD, FWISD, etc.

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:30 PM

With the city planning vacate this building and the neighboring Lone Star Gas Co building, I'm wondering what the forum thinks the future holds for the two. I know this gets said about just about every historic building in downtown, but they'd make a great loft of boutique hotel space. The smaller size also makes me thing creative, local office user could fit right in too. 

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:01 PM

That would be a nice spot for something residential. Not sure if that era of office space lends itself to that type of conversion.

Is the city still planning to stay in the zipper building? At one time, I seem to remember that was one space they were going to keep.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:49 PM

Austin, I think both of your ideas have possibilities, as JBB's residential idea.  I think we will have to wait and see who purchases those buildings.  Somehow in this sale, the rooftop neon blue flame needs to be restored and put back on the building.  The building and the sign are designated as City of Fort Worth Historic & Cultural Landmarks, so that sign needs to go back.

#10 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:17 PM

Yes I would love to see the Lone Star Gas Building be converted to a boutique hotel with a nice restaurant and coffee shop in the lobby.  It can be called the Lone Star Hotel.

I think the "zipper" building...  haven't heard that one before... could be office spaces or possible an city event center.  I'd prefer to see the whole site re-imagined but if I recall I don't think they have plans to demolish it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users