27 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

At the most recent TMS race, "Visit Dallas" sponsored Kyle Larson (an up-and-coming driver). Just one more way for Dallas to associate itself with something that's actually in Fort Worth. That has me thinking... Fort Worth should sponsor a race car and promote itself during races.

-Dylan

#2 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

I agree the city of Fort Worth should really try to attract more tourism. Most peoples view of Fort Worth is limited to the Stockyards, Although that is a great attraction I believe the city has much more to offer than just "Cowboys" and cattle runs.

16atmjd.jpg

#3 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Better yet. Name it Fort Worth Motor Speedway. But they wont go for it unless we pay up big time.

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Most race tracks are named after cities rather than states. Texas Motor Speedway's sister tracks are Charlotte MS and Atlanta MS. It's unfortunate that Texas MS wasn't named Fort Worth MS.

-Dylan

#5 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

In simple termsbecause were Texas! Everythings bigger and better. We didnt just go for the city; we went for the whole state.

Better see you out here in April.for the biggest HD screen in the world, Big Hoss!

That was the response that I got from asking them through email, I figured why not ask...

16atmjd.jpg

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Drivers in hopped-up Chevys burning massive amounts of fossil fuel making multiple circles around a big field, and being cheered on by a quarter-million drunks.

That's NASCAR.

Do you really want Fort Worth's name attached to that? If yes, then at least we should sponsor a solar-powered pace car. 

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

While attaching Fort Worth to the track name would have been desirable, I can see not wanting to change an establish brand with nearly 20 years of history behind it.

And,RD: TMS maintains 2 of the highest attended races on the circuit and brings in a truckload of money for FW.  But, hey, you don't care for it, so I guess we need to call the house movers and have the whole thing shipped over to Dallas.  I don't particularly care for Mayfest and I bet someone on here doesn't like the Stock Show.  I guess we have enough justification for Fort Worth to disassociate themselves from those events too, right?

#8 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Drivers in hopped-up Chevys burning massive amounts of fossil fuel making multiple circles around a big field, and being cheered on by a quarter-million drunks.

That's NASCAR.

Do you really want Fort Worth's name attached to that? If yes, then at least we should sponsor a solar-powered pace car. 

I would love to see Fort Worth's name be more associated with TMS than it is right now. 

NASCAR is more than just drivers driving in circles cheered on by drunks, just like Fort Worth is more than just cowboys and the rodeo.

During a NASCAR race, drivers battle each other for positions. Pit crews change tires in under 13 seconds (if someone makes an error and it takes longer, that driver will likely lose positions). Crew chiefs determine what adjustments to make to their car during a pit stop (to help the driver go faster) and determine when their driver should pit. Oh, and have I mentioned that drivers battle each other on track for positions? B)

-Dylan

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

That's NASCAR.

Do you really want Fort Worth's name attached to that? 

Considering that we already have one of the top NASCAR tracks in the sport, I'd say we're already there... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#10 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

[ Removed ]

-Dylan

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

In simple termsbecause were Texas! Everythings bigger and better. We didnt just go for the city; we went for the whole state.

Better see you out here in April.for the biggest HD screen in the world, Big Hoss!

That was the response that I got from asking them through email, I figured why not ask...

Well then.  Why did they not name the HD screen " The Fort Worth Giant " ? Hey I think I will email TMS this question !  Unless FWFD1247 You like to do the honors ? See what kind lame excuse they come up with this time ? :laugh:  

#12 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

To borrow a golfing term, how about "Texas Motor Speedway Fort Worth Invitational."  Or maybe the more applicable appendage "Fort Worth  Race Fest."

#13 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Haha have at it man I am sure that was a canned answer that I got, but I agree with y'all that they need to do more than just have " Fort Worth - Denton County" on the walls.

16atmjd.jpg

#14 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

How fitting that the year NASCAR's disgusting playoff system was implimented (this year) is the first year in over a decade I have not attended a race.

I have watched most races however, and have resumed cheering for Jeff Gordon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I came here to tell everyone that Texas Motor Speedway has been marketing their location as "No Limits, Texas" the past few months. They even replaced "Fort Worth - Denton County" with "No Limits, Texas" on the outside barriers. <_<

-Dylan

#15 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

However, ESPN did a very good job of reminding viewers where the race was held, and even showed our skyline from a distance at one point.

Whenever the race is posted online, I will try to grab a screenshot.

-Dylan

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

It was the best time I've had at a race in several years. I noticed that they had replaced "Fort Worth" with "No Limits". They've had that marketing tagline for a couple of years now, so hopefully they'll switch it back to FW when the No Limits campaign runs its course and gets replaced with something different.

I just watched part of the broadcast when I got home and I do think ESPN does a good job of correctly identifying the location of the track. When they ran the split screen during commercials toward the end of the race, the race broadcast side of the screen was labeled with "Fort Worth, Texas".

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

This is the first race that TMS has used "No Limits" to refer to its location, however. http://www.texasmoto...no-limits-texas

-------------------------------

On a more positive note, here is ESPN showing off our pathetic skyline: http://youtu.be/WxL7GtmrE3Q?t=2h32m57s :)

-Dylan

#18 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

Dallas threw a big party for Jeff Gordon yesterday and promoted the upcoming race at TMS: http://www.dallasnew...las-welcome.ece

Unfortunately, I was in Houston yesterday (returned to North Texas today) and wasn't able to attend.

I sure hope Fort Worth noticed and is planning something as well.

-Dylan

#19 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

Dallas threw a big party for Jeff Gordon yesterday and promoted the upcoming race at TMS: http://www.dallasnew...las-welcome.ece

Unfortunately, I was in Houston yesterday (returned to North Texas today) and wasn't able to attend.

I sure hope Fort Worth noticed and is planning something as well.

One could hope. 

But this doesn't surprise me...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#20 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

Jeff Gordon will be driving the #24 in tomorrow's top-tier race, but was an announcer in the booth during tonight's lower-tier race.

During tonight's lower-tier race broadcast, FOX Sports showed off the DT Dallas skyline with the Omni flashing the TMS logo and the #24.

When the Dallas skyline was on screen, Jeff Gordon stated: "Now all of Dallas knows where I'm staying -- no, Fort Worth -- I'm sorry."

I'm confused, too. NASCAR drivers usually sleep in their motorhomes at the track.

-Dylan

#21 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

In a city like Fort Worth with plenty of nice hotels, I seriously doubt that a driver like Gordon sleeps at the track.

#22 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

^^ Emphasis on the middle two sentences of my previous post.

---------------------------------

I'm planning to attend my first race since 2013 tomorrow.

Hopefully rain won't postpone the race to Sunday, as I plan on attending MotoGP in Austin on Sunday.

-Dylan

#23 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

I'm going tonight for my 4th straight Sprint Cup race at TMS. I'm hoping the same thing about the rain. I have plans on Sunday and I don't think there's any way I could get there. The tickets were free, so at least wouldn't be out anything but time.

#24 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

The race was pretty good except around half way when it got a little bland.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a sign as you enter the track that said "Entering - No Limits, Texas - est. 1997."  :o  Looked exactly like a sign you would see posted when you were entering the city limits of an actual city, but with an established (track built) date instead of a population figure. How is this legal???

Before the race and during cautions, there was a mix of promotions for both "No Limits, Texas" and Fort Worth on the giant video board.

------------------------------------------------------

I'm not attending MotoGP in Austin after all. My dad's friend (who said he had tickets) decided he didn't want to go. :glare:

-Dylan

#25 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:48 PM

Apparently, TMS president Eddie Gossage is promoting the fictional town of "No Limits" instead of Fort Worth because he doesn't think Fort Worth is doing enough to promote the speedway: 

[SNIP] Big Hoss TV also served as a talking point in how Gossage feels TMS doesn’t get the coverage and recognition it deserves. Nothing on the city of Fort Worth’s website, Gossage pointed out, mentions that the city is home to the world’s largest HD screen.

It goes beyond that, as Gossage is always pushing the city and local news outlets for more coverage. He said the track spends $70 million annually to bring fans from across the country to the area and brings a positive $300 million economic impact every year.

“But you drive to downtown Fort Worth and there isn’t even a ‘Welcome Race Fans,’ banner on race weekends,” Gossage said. “There are banners everywhere about some other event or activity going on. It’s unfortunate.”

Because of that, the track walls now don “No Limits, Texas” instead of “Fort Worth, Texas.”

http://www.star-tele...le69754527.html

-Dylan

#26 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:20 AM

Fort Worth might consider sponsoring an ELECTRIC car for the shorter races or for a pace car for the traditional series. High speed races around a big circuit is sort of dumb. But the history of auto racing is about new innovations; how changes in technology help to improve the leading edge... This could go hand-in-glove with a concerted effort to attract high-tech energy firms to the area to showcase batteries, solar arrays, hydrogen and natural gas turbines, and electric power trains as alternatives to traditional, centuries-old gasoline engines.

Forget Gossage and his limp marketing schemes. Look to the future, the same way early racing pioneers did.

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

There's plenty of lameness to go around on this. Lame that they can't work together to get the city to promote the speedway better (which has not always been the case, there were downtown events that coincided with race weekend at one time or another). Lame that Gossage uses it against the city the way he does, especially since the track does fine on selling tickets, better than a lot of other tracks around the country, without it. Lame that he doesn't acknowledge the fact that the city gives expensive support to the track in the way of police officers for security and traffic. Most other venues in the city have to pay for off-duty officers out of their own pocket. The speedway gets on-duty officers, many working overtime, on the city's bill.

#28 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

He partners with a Denton craft brewer and then throws shade at Fort Worth.  :glare:

Forgive me if I don't identify with a place that's halfway to Oklahoma and only in Fort Worth due to overzealous annexation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users