316 replies to this topic

#101 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:25 AM

Considering that almost everything between the cemetary and the Cotton Belt tracks has been either demolished or moved, the historic neighborhood really doesn't "exist" anymore

Johnny your very wrong about "Historic neighborhood doesn't exist" Its historic home's to the north, Cemetary to the south, and Charles Nash south of that. Unless the Hispanic community says it's historic like was said about the 50 year old apartment's were Radio Shack now sits. But thank goodness thier is no outcry of that.

But I feel very stongly that a Hispanic taste should be keeped with the rest of the neighborhood. Because they lived thier for so long. And still do. And not be pushed out and wiped away with new unhistoric apartment's New developments in northern Samules should blend with the neighborhood.

#102 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:30 AM

Johnny your very wrong about "Historic neighborhood doesn't exist" Its historic home's to the north, Cemetary to the south, and Charles Nash south of that.

View Post

The homes are north of the Trinity Bluff project though, and have a pretty decent buffer in the form of Pioneer's Rest. I'm talking about the "neighborhood" that used to exist south of the Cemetary, which has been demolished to make way for Trinity Bluffs. Why protect something that isn't there? The only place restrictions are needed is the northernmost piece of land, where there aren't any buffers (the neighborhood to the east has the Cotton Belt tracks to seperate it from Trinity Bluffs).

Does that make more sense now?

#103 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:10 PM

[quote name='Jonnyrules23' date='Jul 25 2005, 12:30 PM']
[quote name='Now in Denton' date='Jul 25 2005, 09:25 AM']Johnny your very wrong about "Historic neighborhood doesn't exist" Its historic home's to the north, Cemetary to the south, and Charles Nash south of that.

View Post

[/quote]
The homes are north of the Trinity Bluff project though, and have a pretty decent buffer in the form of Pioneer's Rest. I'm talking about the "neighborhood" that used to exist south of the Cemetary, which has been demolished to make way for Trinity Bluffs. Why protect something that isn't there? The only place restrictions are needed is the northernmost piece of land, where there aren't any buffers (the neighborhood to the east has the Cotton Belt tracks to seperate it from Trinity Bluffs).

Does that make more sense now?
Johnny the neighborhood south and north of the Cemetary is one and the same. Samules, Rock Island Now Trinity Bluffs whatever you want to call it is all the same neighborhood. Every Latino kid north and south of Nash went to the same school. Ask any gang member from VRI . Look at the bus route is say's Rock Island even today. All going to the same area. The reson the House's are not there is bacause it was torn down ! Geee Wizzz . But they were way to tiny for someone to live in even if they were up to code .

But you are a little right on tract. The people on Samules protested "The Southwest Parkway " for years. Saying weather it goes north south or central part of the neighborhood it would be the end for the area! Because thier is no buffer!Because Rock Island whatever you want to call it. Is long but very skinny most of the area is just two blocks wide. Railroad tracks to the east . The River to the west.

Fort Worth ows the people thier a debt for not letting the freeway go threw. I know many people who grew up thier. I even went to a few meeting in thier nieghborhood . Lot of yelling let me tell you. Saw the maps myself showing the many proposal's of the freeway threw thier neighborhood. You know the SWproject the one that will be built anyday now . 45 YEARS AND STILL COUNTING HaHa.

#104 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:47 PM

Johnny the neighborhood south and north of the Cemetary is one and the same. Samules, Rock Island Now Trinity Bluffs whatever you want to call it is all the same neighborhood. Every Latino kid north and south of Nash went to the same school. Ask any gang member from VRI . Look at the bus route is say's Rock Island even today. All going to the same area. The reson the House's are not there is bacause it was torn down ! Geee Wizzz . But they were way to tiny for someone to live in even if they were up to code .

View Post

:unsure: Ok, let's stop thinking in literals. Sure, there used to be a large, contiguous neighborhood north of Belknap stretching all the way up past Cold Springs and beyond, but for all practical intents and purposes, that neighborhood ceased to exist in that form when half of it was demolished for a development that would surely turn the area around 180 degrees.

Think of it this way, I'm part of a subdivision about 10 blocks long. What happens if someone 10 blocks away demolishes a block and builds an apt. complex? Does it really affect me that much? No, it's still all the same subdivision, but I can guarantee you no one thinks of it as one anymore because there are apts. on one of the blocks. I'm sure the people 9 blocks away would like the apts. to blend in with their houses, though (at least the part that faces them, they probably don't care what's on the other side), which is why TB needs to blend into the part of Samuels that still exists and doesn't need to worry about blending into an area that was flattened.

You've definately not helped your case by mentioning gangs though, lol. Being hispanic I have no problem with latino neighborhoods (grew up in a few, actually) but gangs are a big no-no.

#105 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

You've definately not helped your case by mentioning gangs though, lol. Being hispanic I have no problem with latino neighborhoods (grew up in a few, actually) but gangs are a big no-no.

View Post

[/quote]

It didnt help or hurt . It is just the way the world is.

I wished you all could of heard Mark Davis WBAP Tue moring show he talked a great deal about this and the River project. He said Dallas needs something like this. He went on to say the Sports Stadiums ect are O.K. But Don't bring in the Business , money and people like this project does. I could go on. But it was a great show. I like his show he's very tell it like it is, and open minded. But I don't always agree with him.

#106 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:28 PM

"I like his show he's very tell it like it is, and open minded. "

View Post

[/quote]
Mark Davis open minded???? I won't even touch that one. But I would have loved to have heard that show. The TRP is incredible and I'm sure Dallas is envious. I'm impressed by how quickly it seems to be moving along. As for our plan here in Dallas, I'll believe it when I see it.

#107 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:40 PM

View Post

Sadly that's true, but I doubt that the affirmation that gangs used to (still do?) live in the area makes it hard to see the positives of this redevelopment.

#108 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:51 AM

I wished you all could of heard Mark Davis WBAP Tue moring show he talked a great deal about this and the River project.

AndyN heard the same show. Mark Davis went to the Cats game the night before. Davis said that part north of Downtown looked like the dark side of the moon. LOL . Thier not many homes, but a great deal of used car lots.

Im glad he really drove thier himself . He talked about Northside Drive, 28th street. ect. He seemd to imply The Victory project in Dallas with a bit of yea right will see kind of remark. Davis was making grunting noise talking about the Victory project LOL. I think it's a cool project.

#109 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:35 PM

Has everyone checked out the new www.uptownfortworth.com website. Strughs changed it around quite a bit and they now have a virtual tour of the project and the TRV. It is about a four minute fly through... VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE STUFF!

#110 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

On Thursday night, after showing Lakelander (from the SSP Forum) and his wife around Fort Worth, I drove down E. 1st by Pecan Place. The 26 townhomes are now under construction! They are actually moving dirt for the project.

#111 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:13 AM

I am very impressed with the presentation! That is AWESOME! :)

#112 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

On Thursday night, after showing Lakelander (from the SSP Forum) and his wife around Fort Worth, I drove down E. 1st by Pecan Place.  The 26 townhomes are now under construction!  They are actually moving dirt for the project.

View Post

That must have happened quite recently, I just drove by at the beginning of the week and there was no activity. Are all 26 really u/c, or is it just the first phase south of 1st street? There are only 17 homes advertised on uptownfortworth.com and I'm wondering just where the other 9 are going to fit on the property Struhs actually owns, lol.

#113 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

On Thursday night, after showing Lakelander (from the SSP Forum) and his wife around Fort Worth, I drove down E. 1st by Pecan Place.  The 26 townhomes are now under construction!  They are actually moving dirt for the project.

View Post

That must have happened quite recently, I just drove by at the beginning of the week and there was no activity. Are all 26 really u/c, or is it just the first phase south of 1st street? There are only 17 homes advertised on uptownfortworth.com and I'm wondering just where the other 9 are going to fit on the property Struhs actually owns, lol.

View Post

I think there are going to be more townhomes on both the north side of 1st and along the Weatherford frontage road area.

#114 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:35 AM

Semi-update; Struhs cleared a hurdle after his zoning request was approved yesterday, he was trying to bypass a height limit he agreed to in his PD. I wasn't actually there for that part of the meeting, so that's all I know. If you want to see a (really bad, might I add) preliminary rendering of the 20 story buildings he wants there, he probably showed it to the Zoning Commission, and you could probably catch it on the City's cable channel. I'm holding out for the real rendering to look 100 times better...this current one looks utilitarian, 70's and totally un-Struhs. I know I know, it's just prelim, but still...

#115 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

Economics young Johnny is the answer. The site is quite shallow and in order to "park it" structured parking would be a necessity. To spread the cost of the structured parking over a few units would yield an unmarketable pricetag. Therefore, to make the project work from a marketing perspective, height is necessary. BTW, Mr. Struhs has met with the church next door and they are in favor of the plan. Also, to capitalize on the views towards downtown, the building needs to go up.

The highlines will not remain in their current configuration, but will be moved onto a single pole in the future. Unfortunately, they cannot go underground...

#116 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

Economics young Johnny is the answer.  The site is quite shallow and in order to "park it" structured parking would be a necessity.  To spread the cost of the structured parking over a few units would yield an unmarketable pricetag.  Therefore, to make the project work from a marketing perspective, height is necessary.  BTW, Mr. Struhs has met with the church next door and they are in favor of the plan.  Also, to capitalize on the views towards downtown, the building needs to go up.

View Post

Well, thanks for the economy lesson, but it doesn't have anything to do with my last post, does it? Just want to make sure I'm following you 100%.

Of course, if the economics force him to go taller, I'm not going to complain. :wink:

Redhead, you wouldn't happen to know if the rumored hotel portion of TB is supposed to be in this tower or somewhere else? If the latter is true, would you know which plot is under consideration?

#117 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:25 PM

I did not address the previous utilitarian comment because drawings that have been circulated are quite preliminary. If you have seen any of LPC's high rise product (most recently in DT Austin), then you would not be too concerned. As for the hotel, that is not certain, but they may consider the site immediately to south with an interconnected parking structure under the power lines. Possibly shared workout space and ammenities, but WAY too preliminary at this point in time.
Height variance is on the CC agenda on Tuesday.

BTW Johnny, I keep up with much of the city happenings by having the council agendas sent automatically every week. Follow the prompts through the city's website to get them emailed weekly---makes for very interesting reading if you have the time.

#118 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:05 PM

I did not address the previous utilitarian comment because drawings that have been circulated are quite preliminary.  If you have seen any of LPC's high rise product (most recently in DT Austin), then you would not be too concerned. 

View Post

What has Lincoln developed in downtown Austin? (name of project?)
Phoenix developed the hideous building on W. 5th called 404 or something(essentially a cousin of LPC as it is also the Pogue family).

The Gables (formerly Post) West Avenue is a good looking building though despite its architecturally bland facade. Good scale, finishes, landscaping, live/work units on the ground floor. I think that general scheme would work very well on the edge of Downtown here.
http://www.gables.co...cfm?propid=958#

If I was in the multifamily development business, I would use this project as a model for my development in/around Downtown Fort Worth. Imagine this building backing up to the Trinity hike/bike trails - could ride your bike to work/dinner Downtown, could stumble home from bars and not worry about careeing your buick into any living or inanimate objects......paradise I tell you.

#119 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

Sorry, Urb, can't agree with you on that one. Besides the baby-poop green color, I find the flat monolithic walls quite boring. And I don't recall the LPC project name, just saw it and remember the pleasant impression it created.

#120 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:00 PM

I like it. I would have like to seen something like that built in the cultural district than that horrible Museum Place apt building across from the Kimball. That is one ugly building...what is it constructed of? The exterior looks really cheap. The Austin building is sooo much better.

#121 urbanglassbox1

urbanglassbox1

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:I no longer star gaze, I skyscraper gaze

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

I wen't by the uptown site yesterday and saw that they are already starting to dig and measure for the new condo project :D

I wen't by the uptown site yesterday and saw that they are already starting to dig and measure for the new condo project :D

#122 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

I will be returning to FW on friday. :laugh:

I WILL be returning to FW on friday. <_<
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#123 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

[quote name='Now in Denton' date='Jul 28 2005, 07:11 PM' post='14828']

View Post

[/quote]

I wished you all could of heard Mark Davis WBAP Tue moring show he talked a great deal about this and the River project. He said Dallas needs something like this. He went on to say the Sports Stadiums ect are O.K. But Don't bring in the Business , money and people like this project does. I could go on. But it was a great show. I like his show he's very tell it like it is, and open minded. But I don't always agree with him.
[/quote]

You think Mark Davis is open minded? Granted, he's not as sloppy as Rush L when it comes to his evidence supporting his theories, however I'd hardly say he's open minded. A very persuesive, articulate guy though. Perhaps you are referring to a different Mr. Davis than the fellow on the radio here.

[quote post='15614' date='Aug 17 2005, 12:31 PM' name='redhead']
Sorry, Urb, can't agree with you on that one. Besides the baby-poop green color, I find the flat monolithic walls quite boring. And I don't recall the LPC project name, just saw it and remember the pleasant impression it created.
[/quote]

The Gables West Avenue building is actually yellow. Color aside, I think its dimensions and the manner in which it greets pedestrians (tree lined sidewalks, plentiful street-level glass, patios on the sidewalk, operable doors/windows leading directly out onto sidewalks).

Wait, you like this one??? I don't know anyone who likes the looks of this. It employs the corny faux old-town multiple-facade look. It's just a cheap affectation, a theme, a gimmick designed to mimic (but not trying too hard) 19th century facades in Central Texas.
http://www.ci.austin...own/phoenix.htm

http://www.404riogrande.com/index2.htm

Gives me the willies the design is so bad. All I can say is thank God they didn't use that design in Fort Worth. (BTW, these are the same guys who developed Firestone, Bellaire Ranch)

#124 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

the old saying is "swatting at gnats and swallowing elephants..." Are we all stuck in the theoretical?

There are actual sticks four stories high out of the ground and no on-line from this august group has even noticed! Real contstruction..Yeah-Hi!! Maybe there should be hitchin' posts?l

#125 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

I want to make sure I didn't misunderstand you, redhead, are you talking about the Lincoln Apts. project? How far along is it? I rarely get up that way anymore...

#126 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

Lincoln's moving mountains of dirt---their only "sticks" are stakes...I was referring to the sticks for Uptown. Townhomes under construction, lots of 'em---windows started setting today.
And Urb, Phoenix is NOT the same as LPC. LPC manages for Phoenix but has no say-so in the design---just like they are now managing The Depot, but had nothing to do with construction, nor is there an ownership interest. Think of Phoenix as son of LPC...seriously, it is run by the son of the LPC founder.

Whoops--I should have said OWNED by the son.

#127 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

Wow, Uptown really is moving fast...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#128 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

the old saying is "swatting at gnats and swallowing elephants..." Are we all stuck in the theoretical?

There are actual sticks four stories high out of the ground and no on-line from this august group has even noticed! Real contstruction..Yeah-Hi!! Maybe there should be hitchin' posts?l

Is anything going to happen to the power lines along 1st or Elm?

#129 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:52 AM

The plat that was filed shows underground power in the area, but that does not take everyone off the poles. There is some new deal with the service suppliers regarding how much they charge for moving their service cables and it is ridiculously expensive to relocate them these days. So even if the power to the new townhomes (and to all of Trinity Bluff for that matter) is underground, unless everything else is relocatd, you could still have poles present. I realize that is not a definitive answer, but it's what I know for the time being.

#130 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

The plat that was filed shows underground power in the area, but that does not take everyone off the poles. There is some new deal with the service suppliers regarding how much they charge for moving their service cables and it is ridiculously expensive to relocate them these days. So even if the power to the new townhomes (and to all of Trinity Bluff for that matter) is underground, unless everything else is relocatd, you could still have poles present. I realize that is not a definitive answer, but it's what I know for the time being.

So the poles will just have things like cable and phone, but no power? I guess that's good - I don't think you want the overhead power that close to the roofs.

#131 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:08 AM

I think Redhead meant that the DISTRIBUTION lines would be underground. Those big Frankenstein riveted iron towers are TRANSMISSION lines and would be EXPEN$IVE to relocate. Not likely to happen in the short term.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#132 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

I think Redhead meant that the DISTRIBUTION lines would be underground. Those big Frankenstein riveted iron towers are TRANSMISSION lines and would be EXPEN$IVE to relocate. Not likely to happen in the short term.

Now I'm even more confused - there are no riveted iron towers in the area, just wood poles. So does that mean all the wood poles would disappear?

#133 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:21 PM

flash*flash* new and improved information

Most of the poles along First will disappear. Unfortunately the ones parallel to the railroad will not go away.

As for Frankenstein towers to the north along Samuels, the derricks WILL go away in lieu of the newer single pole style. Don't know the timetable, half of the TXU repair people are still out of state working on Katrina/Rita damage. Things here are moving pretty slowly because of that...at least we have power.

#134 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Oct 20 2005, 01:21 PM) View Post

flash*flash* new and improved information

Most of the poles along First will disappear. Unfortunately the ones parallel to the railroad will not go away.

As for Frankenstein towers to the north along Samuels, the derricks WILL go away in lieu of the newer single pole style. Don't know the timetable, half of the TXU repair people are still out of state working on Katrina/Rita damage. Things here are moving pretty slowly because of that...at least we have power.

Oh, nice...

I didn't think they would modernize the poles, but that's better than nothing. It's also a whole lot cheaper than putting them in a pipe underground.

I did some work on a rail cut on the Dallas streetcar system where a high-pressure electric line was put in through the neighborhood. As I recall, the lines were in a big steel pipe and there was oil flowing through the pipe, too. I assume it was some kind of electric insulating oil that also helped to dissipate heat. Don't know much about those critters other than to keep the backhoe a safe distance away.

I wonder if I can get a couple of the old towers for my front yard. As I understand, the "frankenstein" towers were installed in conjunction with the interuban line to Cleburne to supply power for the electric railway's substations. Ooh, that would make a cool display for the museum - the top part of a transmission tower with a dummy in a lineman's outfit and toolbelt working on the line.

#135 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Aug 17 2005, 11:00 PM) View Post

I like it. I would have like to seen something like that built in the cultural district than that horrible Museum Place apt building across from the Kimball. That is one ugly building...what is it constructed of? The exterior looks really cheap. The Austin building is sooo much better.

The Austin building's facade is dryvit and brick.

QUOTE(redhead @ Oct 6 2005, 08:13 PM) View Post

Not sure I follow your comment.

QUOTE(redhead @ Oct 14 2005, 09:52 AM) View Post

how much (ballpark) does relocation or burying of utilities typically cost?

#136 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

varies radically depending on how many services are on it and whether the right of way is being moved/acquired. A simple, single pole can be anywhere from 4-5K or as much as 10. I once tryed to get an underground service box moved 15 feet and that alone was four grand!

I cannot imagine the Frankenstein poles cost, but in this case TXU is bearing it because they are actually moving the poles to straighten the lines, and taking some of the old lines down to replace them.

#137 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Oct 20 2005, 09:31 PM) View Post

I wonder if I can get a couple of the old towers for my front yard. As I understand, the "frankenstein" towers were installed in conjunction with the interuban line to Cleburne to supply power for the electric railway's substations. Ooh, that would make a cool display for the museum - the top part of a transmission tower with a dummy in a lineman's outfit and toolbelt working on the line.

Sorry to go off tangent... but...

The people who don't understand the "loss" of the smokestacks are really going to question my sanity after this...

I did some research and I believe that the big riveted steel towers are part of the transmission line from the power plant on North Main to Cleburne, Hillsboro and Waco. This line was erected in 1912 as part of a deal for the power plant to supply the new Dallas-Waco interurban railway with power. I assume that the electric railway line to Cleburne was also installed at this same time, but haven't finished my research. What makes them worthy of preservation, though, is the fact that this line was the first steel high voltage transmission line in the State of Texas. Geez, 93 years of service and they're ready to rip the thing done.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the towers be preserved in place or even intact, but this new information makes me change my humorous comment in previous message to a serious thought about acquiring part of on of the towers for preservation in our future museum facility.

Any contacts on the project, Redhead? Contact me off forum if you do.

Andy Nold
North Texas Historic Transportation, Inc.
tnold@northtexastransport.org

#138 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

Andy,
Sorry, I cannot help you with the TXU contact information. I suggest you contact the developer at tstruhs@swbell.net. Maybe he can help.
Red

#139 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:04 PM

Drove the development today. They did a good job on the streets, brick croswalks, on street parking. They narrowed the roads, making which I assume is designed to slow traffic and make it ped friendly.

They appear to be working on the foundation of a building near Nash Elem, is that the Apts?

#140 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

The street construction is already done? Seems like I haven't been down there in ages...

Anybody have the latest on the 20+ story condo tower?

#141 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

JOHNNY! Get to BED! mad.gif Big day tomorrow, you've got 25 hours not the usual 24 , OK. tongue.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#142 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:46 PM

The 20 story tower is in architecture and LPC is doing their due diligence...hotel discussions are ongoing. Something should be released publicly within the next 60-90 days, I think.

#143 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

the first steel high voltage transmission line in the State of Texas
That seems well worth preserving in some fashion. At least one tower to show the construction techniques of the time...

#144 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:18 AM

The parking garage is sprouting from the ground. Looking at the setback from Bluff Street, it looks like there will be a row of apartments in front of it. Maybe Santa Claus will bring me a new digital camera for Christmas.

#145 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:34 AM

Presentation to DDRB showed the apartments wrapping the parking structure, so none of the parking structure is exposed.
Andy, I hope you get your digital from Santa because I'd like to see some pictures of your house!

#146 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Dec 23 2005, 12:34 PM) View Post

Presentation to DDRB showed the apartments wrapping the parking structure, so none of the parking structure is exposed.
Andy, I hope you get your digital from Santa because I'd like to see some pictures of your house!

I'm going to be working with an archtitect for the design, and while I may not have a rendering, hopefully I will have a profile or something I can post on here before it is built.

#147 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

Did anyone else catch that there were 40+ permits issued for townhomes along E. Bluff St. last week? I thought the next phase of TB was supposed to be the 20ish story tower on Samuels, are the townhomes moving ahead first though? Also, I noticed that not a single one of the permits was worth more than $250,000, and most of them were around $160,000. Does this mean this phase is going to be more "accessible" than other projects downtown, or do the permits just cover construction costs and don't include finish-outs and/or land prices?

#148 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Where are you getting your permit information? Is there a link for a website?

#149 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

I just get it from the city's website, they publish a list of issued building permits weekly. Here's the link:

http://www.fortworth...ued_Permits.asp

#150 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:04 PM

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uptown, Samuels Avenue

0 user(s) are reading this topic