• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

The purpose of this thread is to post and discuss general development and planning in the Near Northside/Mercado/Stockyards area. Since there haven't been many large-scale developments in this part of town, I thought that this would be an appropriate place for smaller projects such as new retailers, infill projects, and neighborhood news.

http://www.star-tele...r-building.html

Design changes sought for building in Fort Worth Stockyards
BY SANDRA BAKER

A city commission wants Fort Worth Stockyards developer Hickman Investments to consider some design changes on a proposed building that would be adjacent to the iconic Livestock Exchange Building before the board votes on the plan in May.
In particular, the city's Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission asked Hickman Investments in March to see whether it could place the 9,800-square-foot building farther back from the street. Some commissioners said they were concerned that the structure, which would be set back from Exchange Avenue by about 50 feet, could detract from the view of the 107-year-old exchange building, which is 100 feet back.
The building will go on a portion of a parking lot on the east side of the exchange building and in front of historic cattle pens, said Gary Brinkley, a representative of Hickman Investments. The cattle pens cannot be touched, he said, which is why the new building can't be set back farther.
Brinkley said many of the buildings on Exchange Avenue are not set back from the street at all.
"We've worked very hard and very diligently to make sure it fits in," he said.
The proposed building will mimic a frontier architectural style, featuring wood windows and shutters, and a wraparound porch, which does fit in in the Stockyards, according to a city report. The building, the report goes on to say, "will not adversely affect the character" of the Stockyards.
Hickman Investments plans to lease the building when it is completed. Brinkley said they'd like to complete the shell this year.
"This building will provide the owner some additional streams of revenue," he said.
Hickman Investments owns 81 of the 125 acres that constitute the Stockyards.
Few buildings have been built in the Stockyards in recent years. In November, Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que opened on Stockyards Boulevard, on the north side of Billy Bob's Texas, and AmeriSuites opened a hotel on Exchange Avenue in 2005, across from the proposed building site.
Brinkley said more than 2 million people visit the Stockyards annually.
SANDRA BAKER, 817-390-7727

#2 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

http://www.nbcdfw.co...Fort-Worth.html

Hill Country BBQ Arrives in Fort Worth
By ELVIRA SAKMARI

A little taste of Hill Country barbecue has come to the Fort Worth Stockyards.
Billy Bob's Texas is now home to Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que. An NBCDFW user sent in a photo of the new restaurant and praised not having to make the long drive to Llano for the famous BBQ.
The restaurant sits on the 20-acre Billy Bob's parking lot off North Main Street.
The restaurant features a covered patio where customers select their main course from the smokers before going inside to select their sides then sit and eat.
Construction on the 23,000 square-foot restaurant began last year and the restaurant opened in late January.
The Billy Bob's location is the restaurant's third location in Texas. Cooper's has a location in New Braunfels and has its original location in Llano.
Details magazine called Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que "the Best BBQ in America" and proclaimed it "insanely good."

I know that this place has been open for a couple months now, but I enjoy reading about businesses opening in Fort Worth's urban core and I'm sure others do also.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

I'm glad that you posted something about the new Stockyards retail building. This is an issue that needs to be resolved and how a new building can go through the process to fit in within a historic district.

I have been to the new Cooper's a couple of times since it opened and I have really enjoyed the barbecue there.

#4 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

I am not a particularly huge aficionado of country music but this is quite an accomplishment by Billy Bob's...

http://www.fortworth...tory.aspx?nId=8

Billy Bob's Texas - CMA Club of the Year
Posted April 08,2010

Billy Bob's Texas has been named the country music club of the year an amazing 10 times. Three times the CMA Club of the Year and seven times the ACM Club of the Year. There's rarely been a major country star who has not spent time on the main stage at Billy Bob's Texas. Performing on the main stage at Billy Bob's Texas is considered to be a right of passage for young stars on their way up and veterans of country music as well.

#5 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

http://www.star-tele...restaurant.html

Los Alamos restaurant closes

Los Alamos, a fixture on North Main Street in Fort Worth for 54 years known for its menudo, closed its doors at 10 a.m. Sunday, when cooks and wait staff decamped after hearing that they might not get paid, co-owner Alfred Gallegos told the Star-Telegram. "We had planned to be open another few weeks," said Gallegos, 54, who ran Los Alamos with his older brother, Alex, 58. Both grew up in the restaurant begun by their late father, Alex, when the only nearby competition was Joe T. Garcia's. "Joe T.'s decided go Tex-Mex, and we chose to go ethnic -- home-style like a Mexican grandmother cooked -- and look what happened," he said. "Now, in this particular neighborhood, there's just too many Mexican restaurants competing for the same dollar." They plan to sell their building. -- Barry Shlachter

#6 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

That was a good restaurant.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#7 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame moving to Fort Worth Stockyards

Read more: http://www.star-tele...e#ixzz0qC7zTnFS

#8 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

I couldn't find this news on the forum but feel free to move it if someone's posted it already.

City Council allocates $3 million to improve infrastructure in the Northside. Channel 8 reports:

http://www.wfaa.com/...d4-c22c915721c5

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

If North Main between North Side Drive and NE 28th Street is given the same treatment as South Main, then it will a big improvement.

BTW, ought the City consider naming North Side Drive as Yucca Drive from the North Freeway to the West Fork Branch @ University Drive.

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

I couldn't find this news on the forum but feel free to move it if someone's posted it already.

City Council allocates $3 million to improve infrastructure in the Northside. Channel 8 reports:

http://www.wfaa.com/...d4-c22c915721c5

Just so we're clear:

Improving basic needs for neighborhoods like sidewalks, curbs, and streetlights is considered to be "gentrification"...? 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

Just so we're clear:....Improving basic needs for neighborhoods like sidewalks, curbs, and streetlights is considered to be "gentrification"...?

Yes that is "loco!"

Improving distressed areas of the City will only improve the quality of life for the residents that now inhabits these areas.  Will it bring in residents with higher incomes?...Hopefully.  It will also improve the neighborhood schools and encourage the residents to take steps to improve their homes.  It will also bring in small businesses that everyone can access.

Residents, like those of Arlington Heights too, should not stand in the way of the City installing the infrastructure that will encourage economic growth.  Again, like Montgomery Street is, North Main is not a North Side Neighborhood Corridor, it is a vital corridor that links Downtown to both the Stockyards and the future reopening of Meacham Airport to commercial air service.

#12 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Just so we're clear:....Improving basic needs for neighborhoods like sidewalks, curbs, and streetlights is considered to be "gentrification"...?

Again, like Montgomery Street is, North Main is not a North Side Neighborhood Corridor, it is a vital corridor that links Downtown to both the Stockyards and the future reopening of Meacham Airport to commercial air service.

Can you clarify what you mean by this statement? 

I live in the North Side and North Main is absolutely a Neighborhood Corridor. Historic North Main is between Northside Drive and 23rd street, which is the southern boundary to the Stockyards.   I conduct a ton of my business along that stretch of Main and many of us who are trying to create the Historic North Main initiative would like Main St. to be more pedestrian and bike friendly including improvements to the streetscape which we believe will help bring new businesses to the area while creating a link to Panther Island.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

Yes, I can and I am happy to.

Individual neighborhoods do not have exclusive claim to major corridors in the City.  The major corridors are used by everyone to conduct business, to see doctors, shop, etc.

Streets that are predominantly the site of homes are one thing; but corridors that are the site of multiple uses belong the City and all of its residents who have a right to use them.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so, but both North Side Drive and Main Streets are designated as Commercial Routes.

You must have misread my statement.  I stated in so many words that improving that sector of North Main Street will improve the area writ large.

#14 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

The tables of road use I have seen use this kind of language:

Residential

Collector

Minor Arterial

Major Arterial

Principal Arterial

Service Road

County Road

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

Thanks R1, those are the designations that did not come to mind immediately.  :)

As illustrated, all roads are not the same or of equal utility to the City.  It might be understandable that some residents feel they should have control of roads with status higher then Residential, but it practicality or legality, residents do not.

#16 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for clarifying Rename.... I did misread the intent of your statement

#17 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Brief write-up about changes coming to 2341 N. Main St. and 111 NW 24th St.

https://www.star-tel...e225509350.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users