111 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

Closely following upon what will certainly be  an enormous amount of exposure coming from ESPN Final Four @ Sundance Plaza Broadcast, Fort Worth is also to be spotlighted by CBS News

.http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

This is great news!   But I don't believe CBS News customarily holds its evening broadcast at any college university's journalism conference, and most likely not TCU's.  Their coverage of this event would not have happened, in my opinion, had it not been for the fact that Bob Schieffer now appears to be head honcho at this network's news division. 

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I can say that I am not a regular viewer of any of the traditional network news broadcasts, but I will be watching CBS that evening.

Fort Worth over everyone

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

It also probably doesn't hurt that Scott Pelley is a Texan and that he worked for both Channel 5 and Channel 8.

#5 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Really?  Must have been when I was in Okie land in the 1970s and 80s.

#6 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

I had always thought the Stockyards was another great place for a national broadcast. Let say a RNC or DNC convention in Arlington. And have the Today show in Sundance. And Good Morning America in the Stockyards. Just for example.

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

We already have a strong enough cowboy image. We should try to present areas that the nation isn't familiar with, such as Downtown or the Cultural District / West 7th.

-Dylan

#8 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Not to digress too much from the TCU/CBS Evening News event, but the news media needs a reason to set up shop in our city or any city, for that matter.  Yeah,  it would be nice to have Good Morning America at the Stockyards, but why would they want to do that?  Just to see the daily cattle drive?  Wonderful to have NBC's Today Show at Sundance Square plaza, but I think we're getting carried away with the significance of this small inner-city plaza.  Why go here when they've got the extravagant Rockefeller Plaza?

What brings CBS News to town is an unusual conjunction of a college journalism event and the Schieffer/Pelley influence.  Now if North Texas somehow got the Super Bowl, again, or some other nationally important event (the Olympics?) for AT&T stadium, then there's the potential for a temporary set-up by ESPN at Sundance. 

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

If you factor in the Schieffer/Pelley influence I think there could be another involving SSP. The Bass family owns Sundance Plaza. They are big Disney buddies. Disney owns ABC, who operate Good Morning America. Surely the Bass's would like to show off their little project downtown.  I'm not sure GMA would be interested in leaving the Times Square studios for a few days to make the trip down here but just thinking aloud. 

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Not to digress too much from the TCU/CBS Evening News event, but the news media needs a reason to set up shop in our city or any city, for that matter.  Yeah,  it would be nice to have Good Morning America at the Stockyards, but why would they want to do that?  Just to see the daily cattle drive?  Wonderful to have NBC's Today Show at Sundance Square plaza, but I think we're getting carried away with the significance of this small inner-city plaza.  Why go here when they've got the extravagant Rockefeller Plaza?

What brings CBS News to town is an unusual conjunction of a college journalism event and the Schieffer/Pelley influence.  Now if North Texas somehow got the Super Bowl, again, or some other nationally important event (the Olympics?) for AT&T stadium, then there's the potential for a temporary set-up by ESPN at Sundance. 

Remember, America is more than just New York City and Rockefeller Center.

You haven't been keeping up with the news; they are coming  - ESPN in SSP for the NCAA Final Four in March 2014.   Now my confession - did I miss the announcement of NBC Today Show at SSP?

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

National media goes on the road all the time. Hundred years ago it was a "need"  to go to the place where the news was happening. Why is the Today show in Sochi ? Why does ESPN. Just send a few days in the superbowl city everyyear? Why does College game day go to a different city everyweek ? Just to spend three hours ? Why does national and international media set up shop in the RNC DNC convention city every four years ? Why do late night shows go on the road sometime? The major media networks leaves New York and home base all the time .

People Are Strange. I never said show only Fort Worth western image ? But hey why not have BBC set up shop at the Kimbell someday for some event ? I disagree that we have a "strong enough cowboy image" That's is open to opinion. But this is certain . The Cowboy and Cattle is more than an image. It is Fort Worth heritage. That is something never to be ashamed of.

#12 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

No, I'm not ashamed of our cowboy image or heritage at all. In fact, I have defended our cowboy image and defended our cowboy heritage on this forum in the past. I was just saying that's how people outside of Texas already think of us, so we should expand our image to include modern FW.

-Dylan

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

We already have a strong enough cowboy image. We should try to present areas that the nation isn't familiar with, such as Downtown or the Cultural District / West 7th.

Economically, go with the Cowboy Image for it is strong and it pumps a lot of easily missed money into Fort Worth's economy.  I would separate the Cultural District and West Seventh Street.  While the Cultural District is strong, it is intimidating to a public which is generally not educated in the arts; on the other hand, West 7th is a local success, but I would rate it to be far below deserving of national recognition.

Stick with Cowboys for the bucks and Culture for the pure joy.

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

I watched an interesting program (to me anyway) on PBS 13 about transportation infrastructure in the US: 

http://www.pbs.org/america-revealed/

Fort Worth was referenced positively as a national transportation nexus by a high-ranking air traffic administrator with the FAA, while Dallas was featured (unfairly) as the poster child of highway-driven sprawl (the segment actually featured northwestern Dallas County suburbs). 

Very cool program with a good host (Yul Kwon) and excellent graphics. The first installment covered railroads, air travel, and automobiles systems. 

#15 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

Economically, go with the Cowboy Image for it is strong and it pumps a lot of easily missed money into Fort Worth's economy.  I would separate the Cultural District and West Seventh Street.  While the Cultural District is strong, it is intimidating to a public which is generally not educated in the arts; on the other hand, West 7th is a local success, but I would rate it to be far below deserving of national recognition.

Stick with Cowboys for the bucks and Culture for the pure joy.

I continue to believe that the cowboy image has a limited appeal and keeps us out of the running for many things like corporate re-locations, conventions and cool stores. I never hear anyone giving us national credit for cowboy stuff and if I did they'd say "40 miles west of Dallas." If we're really gonna do this then we need to step up and get the National Finals Rodeo, which is currently held in Vegas, but is being pursued by both Dallas and OKC.

Everything we do has to be a back room, under the fold type of thing. Meanwhile, our competitors are kicking our asses as we commute 40 miles north/east for professional jobs or the AAC for concerts/games.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

I continue to believe that the cowboy image has a limited appeal and keeps us out of the running for many things like corporate re-locations, conventions and cool stores. I never hear anyone giving us national credit for cowboy stuff ....we commute 40 miles north/east for professional jobs or the AAC for concerts/games.

The world is far more knowledgeable than you are giving it credit for. Could it be possible that you are looking for credit in all the wrong places? :swg:

#17 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

My thought is that Fort Worth has more areas to offer national and international media. Not just Sundance.

Funny. Few weeks ago on PBS . I saw a program about London . And how in the late 1800's tourism was big business back then. What was shocking to me . Many medieval flourish (Gargoyles and stuff) on buildings. Was ADDED ! Because "it did not look medieval enough" Tower Bridge built in 1894. Was build at that time purposely to make it look medieval !

I wonder if Fort Worthians 500 years from now will do the same thing ? To make our 2014 buildings look more "Cowboy" ? Is medieval England image just a fad ? Is London mix of new skyscrapers and holding hard to it's past a bad thing ? That medieval England image has a limited appeal ?

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

... get the National Finals Rodeo, which is currently held in Vegas, but is being pursued by both Dallas and OKC.

The "nerves of some". The idea that Dallas is cowboy-enough to host th NFR is as far fetched as a "shark-nado" in Los Angeles or the sequel in New York City.  Plain ridiculous.   :glare:

#19 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

I look forward to the day Fort Worth casts off the cowboy stuff - I do feel like it holds us back, and at any rate it is not a reflection of us now.  The cheesy cowboy gimcrack wouldn't be as needed for "tourism" if we concentrated on building the best and most remarkable city we could.

I also realize that I will almost certainly never see it happen in my lifetime - the old money and power brokers of FW aren't interested in advancing our image much.

--

Kara B.

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

I look forward to the day Fort Worth casts off the cowboy stuff - I do feel like it holds us back, and at any rate it is not a reflection of us now.  The cheesy cowboy gimcrack wouldn't be as needed for "tourism" if we concentrated on building the best and most remarkable city we could.

I also realize that I will almost certainly never see it happen in my lifetime - the old money and power brokers of FW aren't interested in advancing our image much.

I have never thought of Fort Worth's western/cowboy image as a detriment; and gradually instead,  I have come to realize how much of an asset it actually is.  A city is fortunate to have something that distinguishes it from other places or else it risks becoming seen as just another place with fake hipness and today's current fads.  Even the name itself congers up ones imagination about America's iconic frontier.To Fort Worth's credit, there are wonderful reminders of our history and culture that keep you comfortably connected to the past as you go forward.  To me, Fort Worth has always been remarkable because of its ability to maintain a tenacious and stubborn heartbeat even while being in the too near and often cited mist of Dallas or even Austin and Houston.

Fort Worth is evolving but with charm and with a human scale that makes it somewhat like one of Texas' most fascinating and interesting places to visit, San Antonio. 

As for tourism, it is the difference one experiences that counts and makes for an enjoyable interaction with a place; not the corporate sameness so often repeated in many other places.

I would be interested in knowing exactly how it is that our image hold us back.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I am really coming to love the wild west character we have. I haven't always been a fan of it, and I think it's a bit cheeky to overplay it, but it's a lot of fun and like renamursk said, is extremely identifiable with Fort Worth. I don't think it needs to be the defining part of FW (I dislike the moniker, Cowtown) but keeping it intact is interesting to me. 

#22 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Keep Fort Worth folksy

The way the official outlets present it, the cowboy thing comes across as cheesy and as the biggest and most notable thing about the city.  It's all cheesy over-processed photos of legs wearing cowboy boots hanging over the side of furniture and cattle drives and yee-haw this and that, given Priority #1 status with the museums and downtown filling out the stuff underneath.  It's just overpowering and it doesn't speak to the increasingly diverse and interesting nature of the city.

In fact, the Convention & Visitors Bureau's constant obsession with "COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS and also some museums and Sundance Square" is borderline offensive to me, as they barely scratch the surface of the newer and more interesting aspects of Fort Worth culture, and sometimes completely and utterly ignore them.  To listen to the official party line is to imagine a place comprised of three places - Stockyards, Museums, Sundance - existing in their own vacuums.  Occasionally you'll see a mention of a restaurant on Magnolia or 7th, maybe, but the city PR's focus is so narrow as to choke new things from getting wider exposure.  If you hit the CVB's site looking for live music, for example, you'd judge from the calendar that basically the ONLY live music happening in Fort Worth is Billy Bob's.  Nobody is doing anything to promote the city's burgeoning independent music scene to the world, for one glaring example, because it doesn't fall into the VERY narrow and specific city-approved definitions of "cowboys and culture."

Cowboys & culture, I feel, has run its course years ago, and it's time for a fresh approach.  We'll never get it, though.

Edit:  I happened to load the official city promotional site today, and this is what the front page looked like.  I highlighted the content that wasn't about the cowboy stuff that was visible on page one "above the fold":

cowboywtf.jpg

And bonus - one of the aforementioned cheesy over-processed "legs and cowboy boots" photos.

--

Kara B.

#23 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Fort Worthology---I agree with you a 100%.  So tired of being known as a country hick town and nothing else.

#24 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Good grief!

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

....It's just overpowering and it doesn't speak to the increasingly diverse and interesting nature of the city.

Fort Worthology---I agree with you a 100%.  So tired of being known as a country hick town and nothing else.

Its like the Defense of Marriage debate -

Were this a Supreme Court or a Court of Public Opinion matter, you would be asked to demonstrate how exactly you are being damaged by someone else; to wit where is there material evidence that the Cowboy and western theme has caused damage to the city.  The evidence is clear that the Cowboy and western image generates financial and economic benefits to the city; and to those who earn income from this industry. 

I appreciate what you hope to achieve, but it makes very little business sense to tamper down a 150 year tradition of both this city and this state and then pin your hopes upon becoming a top ranked hipster city.

Fort Worth's new found urbanism is not likely to become a nationally recognized entity, but has achieve local recognition which can be applauded.  Every city will have their own pockets of urbanism and as such these pockets will not be as uncommon as a modern cowtown that is being recognized as such both nationally and internationally.

#26 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

Er....you completely missed my point, but whatever.

I'm not saying to get rid of the cowboy crap completely.  I'm not trying to turn Fort Worth into a "hipster," whatever the hell that means, city.  I'm just saying that this long-in-the-tooth marketing message is not serving us as well as we could and I'd like to see a change, that acknowledges a greater variety of what we have to offer than ZOMG COWBOYS LOL plus two other items in a vacuum.

--

Kara B.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

OPH, the Visit FW website is just cringeworthy. FHWAT's website is much more down to Earth.

I think the cowboy culture ought to be a bit like fight club, or how great Austin is,- don't talk about it ;) Makes it seem more genuine. 

#28 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

OPH, the Visit FW website is just cringeworthy. FHWAT's website is much more down to Earth.

I stumbled across a Spotify playlist that the CVB was promoting that featured "Fort Worth artists at SXSW."  Other than it being shockingly short (nine tracks, leaving out a lot of us who are performing at SXSW), they wasted a spot on perennial SXSW laughing stock Complete:

Call me crazy, but I think we could do better in promoting Fort Worth music.

--

Kara B.

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

I live here and besides your band, I'm not familiar with anyone else. That's sad for me. You ought to start a new thread Kevin, I'd be interested in learning more about the local, non-honky tonk, music. 

#30 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

I live here and besides your band, I'm not familiar with anyone else. That's sad for me. You ought to start a new thread Kevin, I'd be interested in learning more about the local, non-honky tonk, music. 

Consider it done.

--

Kara B.

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

.... "hipster," whatever the hell that means, city.

But with what was being spoken of western heritage, I thought it was safe to use such verb-bage as "hipster" to describe urbanism.

"Did not mean to offend".

#32 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have access to radars on my computer, so no need for a TV. However, out of curiosity, I went to the Weather Channel to see whether they were airing another crappy reality show as usual, or actually talking about the weather. Not only were they talking about the weather, but the words "Fort Worth" were uttered! A few minutes later, one of the meteorologists stated that storms were headed for "the Fort Worth metro area - and Dallas." 

The Weather Channel has called North Texas the "Dallas metro area" or simply "Dallas" the past few years, so this was a pleasant surprise!

EDIT: And now TWC is airing another crappy reality show. That was fun while it lasted...

-Dylan

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

I've noticed a lot of NBC broadcasts show FW when they show maps of the U.S. but not Dallas. I first noticed this watching Formula 1 coverage, it's the same map. I assume they highlight FW because of TMS, so racing fans might relate the location of COTA in Austin. 

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

Let's see. 5th largest in the state. The best downtown in America, a new grand plaza, several other urban neighborhoods, among the best art museums and zoo in the country. And much more. 

That's not enough to earn us any recognition in our own states video, apparently.

#35 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

Totally agree Austin55, although "best downtown in America" is a huge stretch, IMHO. Although perhaps you are referring to one of the latest honors received...

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

I agree that Fort Worth should be recognized in state tourism advertising; however, I watched the video above and the urban shots went by so fast I couldn't tell one city from the next.  I guess the state is selling itself as a package deal without focusing on any particular locale.

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Rumor is that the City Council is considering a temporary ban of food trucks in Sundance Square during the week that ESPN will broadcast from Fort Worth its national coverage of the NCAA National Basketball Tournament from AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

If true, I think it is the right thing to do.  I have blogged in the past that it is unfair to the brick and mortar food businesses who are invested in downtown.   The food trucks should have a chance at some of the business that the event will generate; but should have that chance at the food truck parks.

Rumor now confirmed -

http://fortworthtexa...ort Worth News)

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

So it won't be any different than any other day in Sundance, then? I've never seen foodtrucks, tents, or anything else really set up for any reason besides a sponsored event.

#39 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

Surprised to see that portable signs / banners will be banned. Outdoor broadcasts usually feature fans holding up signs as their backdrop.

-Dylan

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

I agree that Fort Worth should be recognized in state tourism advertising; however, I watched the video above and the urban shots went by so fast I couldn't tell one city from the next.  I guess the state is selling itself as a package deal without focusing on any particular locale.

There is a state tourism advertising airing on MSNBC that has snapshots of some of the state's notable structures and includes among them a snapshot of the Modern.

#41 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Tim Ryan on Fox 4 had a funny editorial moment on the morning news today about the confusing Final Four host name.  He showed a number of website banner graphics advertising the location as "North Texas" with pics of the Dallas skyline.  My favorite was a bracket graphic listing the various tournament locations, such as "Indianapolis, IN", "New York, NY" and..."North Texas, TX".

#42 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Rick Reilly did a story on ESPN making fun of the "North Texas" location and went so far as to say why not just say "Arlington, TX"?

http://espn.go.com/m...know-final-four

#43 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

A$$hole

http://ftw.usatoday....ournament-what/

#44 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

When did Texas annex Baja Oklahoma? How did this writer determine there are two hundred miles of Texas north of Dallas? Square miles? Depending in whether you measure from downtown or from LBJ, and depending which loop of the meandering Red River you count to, there appear to be between 50 and 70 linear miles from "Big D" to "Oklahoma!" 

#45 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

Course you left out the panhandle, but a lot of people do.... 

https://www.youtube....h?v=JREkqCvLzSo

#46 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

The writer did say NORTH of Dallas, and the Panhandler is definitely NorthWest, and more west than north in my book. Of course the East Texas philosopher interviewed in the YouTube piece can't and shouldn't be taken seriously on this forum… lots more pickups than Mercedes in the city he neglected to mention…   :smwink:

#47 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

The video and the article are both bullsh.

#48 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Too bad there's no comment section for me to give him a piece of my mind.

The stadium may have been built for a team from Dallas, but that Dallas team isn't playing there. Due to it's location, the stadium represent two major cities (D/FW) when it's not hosting that D team. Also, FW is the nearest big city to the stadium by a couple of miles.

Makes me glad that people with this guy's mindset were not in charge of naming this event. :)

-Dylan

#49 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

To be honest, before I moved here if someone were to mention North Texas I probably would have thought of the panhandle.  It only makes logical sense that the most northern part of the state is called the north.

The writer did say NORTH of Dallas, and the Panhandler is definitely NorthWest, and more west than north in my book. Of course the East Texas philosopher interviewed in the YouTube piece can't and shouldn't be taken seriously on this forum… lots more pickups than Mercedes in the city he neglected to mention…   :smwink:

My guess is there's more pickups only because they have become a luxury vehicle.  As a kid, pickups were primarily owned by people that actually needed a truck fairly regularly.  I would bet that my sedan has seen more off road driving and hauling lumber than most of the trucks I see on the street.

#50 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

In his S-T column, Bud Kennedy has an interesting take on the "North Texas" logo (versus "Dallas-Fort Worth") in sports and other major events.

http://www.star-tele...allas-fort.html

I would agree with Mr. Kennedy, if people elsewhere would actually refer to our area as "Dallas-Fort Worth" instead of "Dallas."  In his column, he mentions DFW International Airport.  How many times have I heard news reporters and commentators refer to "Dallas" as the airport name.  I believe there's a Fort Worth in there, somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users