• Please log in to reply
2047 replies to this topic

#251 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:32 PM

Tarrant County Administrator G.K. Maenius

That name sounds soooo familiar. dry.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#252 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:36 AM

Posted on Sun, Jul. 23, 2006
By MAX B. BAKER
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

It's known as the Riverside Oxbow, a 600-acre swath of abandoned prairie nestled along a now-dry bend of the Trinity River in east Fort Worth.

But the desolate chunk of land -- with its hackberry trees, Johnson grass and sunflowers -- could be the link between the grand effort to build the $435 million Trinity Uptown project and ambitious plans to transform nearby Gateway Park into the gem of Fort Worth parks.

The city of Fort Worth has asked the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to merge the Trinity River project north of downtown with the city's efforts to expand and clean up Gateway Park.

The move would allow officials to tap into more than $30 million in combined funding, while blunting criticism that the Trinity Uptown, -- with its town lake, high-dollar residences and businesses -- will serve only as a playground for the community's wealthy.

It would also allow the Tarrant Regional Water District to avoid purchasing flood easements on pricey west side land, a proposal that had angered some influential residents and raised the possibility of costly lawsuits. Floodwater would be allowed to flow to the east side, allowing $10 million in government funds to be spent instead on soccer fields, an amphitheater and an equestian center.

Under the proposal, only part of the Riverside Oxbow would only be flooded once every five to 10 years, and the park structures would be designed to accommodate being under water.

"It's the right thing to do," said Woody Frossard, the environmental services director for the water district. "If it works, it is the best thing since sliced bread. It is a win-win for the environment and the public."

Fort Worth Mayor Pro Tem Kathleen Hicks, whose district includes some of the east side land affected, is less enthusiastic. She said she is "cautiously optimistic" about the proposal but is concerned that some of her economically distressed district would be flooded in an attempt to redirect floodwater from wealthy neighborhoods.

"Sorry if I sound paranoid, but the jury is still out," Hicks said. "I'm not about to carry the water for anybody."

A merging of proposals

The proposal to redraw the corps' central city project would merge three ventures.

The Trinity Uptown, an 800-acre project, calls for creation of a town lake and a Trinity River bypass channel that would cut through the near north side of Fort Worth, creating an island of commercial and residential development. Congress has approved $110 million for the development with hopes of finishing it in a decade.

The Riverside Oxbow Ecosystem Restoration area includes about 600 acres along Interstate 30 where the corps has sought to spend up to $23 million to redirect the Trinity back into its original channel and return the area to a more natural state by clearing debris and creating habitat for animals. The Riverside Oxbow project, however, has not been funded by Congress.

The final piece of the puzzle is Fort Worth's massive effort to remake Gateway, a 500-acre park along the West Fork of the Trinity River along I-30 from Beach Street to Oakland Boulevard. The park is already a regional center for softball, soccer and rugby; a 40-year master plan unveiled in 2002 calls for a new lake, an amphitheater, additional soccer fields, an equestrian center and other facilities.

The city has already taken steps to improve the area, cleaning up some environmental contamination and securing $4.5 million in state and local grants to complement the corps' project for the adjacent Riverside Oxbow area.

Additional land acquisition at Gateway, however, along with other expansion, has hit a funding snag.

By combining the three projects, however, officials would be able to combine funding: the city's $4.5 million; up to $20 million the federal government planned to spend on Riverside Oxbow; and the $10 million the water district expected to spend on buying easements in the Riverbend area on the west side, officials said.

The federal money could be used for the environmental portion of the project, while the state and local money could be used to pay for the amphitheater, the equestrian center and other recreational facilities.

"I have to applaud the people who have looked at this thing because projects ought to be driven this way -- where you look at it and see how you can better it," said Tarrant County Administrator G.K. Maenius, a member of the Trinity River Vision Authority, the water district's newly created nonprofit oversight agency.

J.D. Granger, who oversees the Trinity River project for the water district, said original plans did not call for combining the projects because the Riverside Oxbow plans had already been approved by the federal government. The cost of purchasing flood easements on the west side-- to allow the land to be used to hold floodwater, when needed -- however, encouraged officials to look for options.

About 300 acres in the Riverbend area had been targeted on the west side. The city and water district already own 310 acres in the flood plain at the Riverside Oxbow and Gateway.

"Why are we not just biting the bullet and saying, 'Why don't we combine these two deals?'" Granger said. "It really has possibilities. Not including Gateway earlier on was a mistake. It should have been challenged earlier."

Frossard, a biologist, is happy that parkland would be created. While the Trinity Uptown project provides public access to the Trinity River and the bypass channel, a traditional park is not included in the project, he said.

"The opportunity of utilizing the central city project to help foster getting a park of this size for the public is just tremendous, because otherwise we aren't going to get any of it," Frossard said. "This has nothing to do with the rich. This is for Joe Blow who wants to canoe in the river. It is really exciting."

On June 29, the U.S. Senate energy and water appropriations subcommittee passed a bill providing $500,000 for the corps to look into the merger of the projects. The full Senate must still vote on it.

The corps is already doing an informal study of the proposed merger. If the idea appears to have merit, the corps will undertake a formal review and write either an environmental assessment or environmental impact statement, Frossard said. Public notices or hearings could be a part of the process, he said.

"It is a viable idea," said Saji Puthenpurayel, corps project manager for Trinity Uptown. "Each project has some great merits."

Fort Worth Councilman Danny Scarth, whose district includes Gateway, is ecstatic aboutcoupling federal, state and local money to continue rebuilding the park.

"The city has worked hard to change the image of Gateway Park over the years, and this would jump-start that and give us money for facilities we wouldn't have otherwise," Scarth said. "It is a good deal for us and a bargain for the city. ... I'm hopeful that the continuing momentum on the Trinity River Vision project will help."

East vs. west

At first blush, the east-west land swap seems like a good idea, Hicks said.

While residents in her district live close to Gateway, Hicks is troubled that portions of the park in her district would be used for floodwater diverted from the west side. Other parks in her district have been "sadly overlooked," she said.

Residents must be included in the planning, she said.

"There will have to be a lot of conversations," Hicks said. "I think the community must be involved with every step of that process."

Scarth and Maenius, a former east side resident, said that they understand concerns that the east side has been neglected but that the merger would help balance the scales.

"I think anyone would take a guaranteed $10 million for parkland improvement any day of the week," Maenius said.

Tracey Smith, a former east side resident who sought a seat on the water district board this year, said the proposal to swap land in the Trinity Uptown project is "not a bad idea." He said just because the land is in a flood plain doesn't mean it would be frequently under water.

But he said he understands why east side residents could be concerned. The old joke is that the west side gets the museums and the east side gets the landfills, he said.

"I understand why they are doing it, and I understand why east side people are paranoid about creating more flood plain in their area," Smith said. "We spend a lot of money on unfunded mandates. We may as well get some of it back."

While the project has yet to undergo a scientific study by the federal government, Frossard said there is nothing that leads him to believe that the two projects could not be put together.

"Until we get through that process, we can't say it is going to work," Frossard said. "But I guarantee that we are going to do all we can to make sure it does work. It is just a wonderful project."

IN THE KNOW

What's next

Seven days after the city of Fort Worth asked the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to consider merging the Trinity Uptown and Riverside Oxbow projects, a U.S. Senate subcommittee approved the study. The full Senate must vote on the bill. The corps is already conducting an informal review. If justified, a formal study will be conducted, and an environmental assessment or impact statement will be written that could call for either public notices or hearings.

#253 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:50 AM

That's a proposal to change where the floodwaters for this project would accumulate. Rather than buying and preserving a bunch of acreage on the west side, the water would flood into parts of an expanded Gateway Park.

Story quoted above is at http://www.dfw.com/m...al/15105092.htm

What I don't understand is where the flood ing problem is that we're trying to fix here. I mean, if the water can all flow through downtown on its way to Gateway, where's the flood threat that we're trying to prevent with this project? huh.gif

#254 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(ghughes @ Jul 23 2006, 08:50 AM) View Post

That's a proposal to change where the floodwaters for this project would accumulate. Rather than buying and preserving a bunch of acreage on the west side, the water would flood into parts of an expanded Gateway Park.

Story quoted above is at http://www.dfw.com/m...al/15105092.htm

What I don't understand is where the flood ing problem is that we're trying to fix here. I mean, if the water can all flow through downtown on its way to Gateway, where's the flood threat that we're trying to prevent with this project? huh.gif

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You weren't supposed to think of that. ph34r.gif

#255 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

I do like the idea. To make this already massive project. Make it yet an even bigger project on the Eastside. In fact I was even thinking that they would expand this westward to include "West Lancaster "it also overlooks the river on a "Bluff" like the Courthouse. My guess someone is already looking into that also.

But i'm with Mrs Hicks. Your going to have to show me this won't be another place for the rich. And if mid level income people who would live thier not be flooded to save the upper side of town. Plus I did read the TRV on display in Downtown says its for all people. Of levels of income. A city with no middle class people. Is a doomed city IMO. With only two voices. Rich walled off in thier section and the rest of the city poor. Hello Detroit. Hello D.C.

#256 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(ghughes @ Jul 23 2006, 07:50 AM) View Post

The main flooding problem does not currently exist. Realize that flooding is a function of water and time. You can reduce flooding downstream by lengthening the amount of time it takes water to flow from upstream. What is going to happen with the Trinity River Vision is that a bypass channel is going to be built that is more hydraulically efficient. The channel will shoot the water past downtown efficiently and quickly with no barriers to slow it down. As I understood the Corps engineering report, they would need to buy additional property in the Jacksboro Highway area to use for storage of floodwater and also some additional space west of I-35W for downstream storage.

It's going to be interesting to see the truth dawn on people over the next several years about how much of a sales job the Trinity River project has been.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#257 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

I think "sales job" gives it too much credit. After all, there is some honesty in most sales.

But as to substance... is the flood control for downstream of Fort Worth? Do we have any issues with taking down the levies? Because if we can capture the floodwaters downstream, then the levies sure look not to be needed regardless of what we do.

#258 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

The levees can only be removed if the flood water is relocated into the bypass channel. Then, the bypass channel will push the floodwaters into East Fort Worth. Therefore, you need additional storage and it looks like Gateway Park is the recipient of that floodwater to keep downstream neighborhoods from flooding.

#259 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Does the TR flow EASTWARDLY??? huh.gif

I thought it would be sent out West and South.
www.iheartfw.com

#260 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

The Trinity River, in a general direction, flows southeast. Between Fort Worth and Dallas, it is flowing almost due east.

#261 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

This don't really fit in this topic but in the FWBP there are plans to renovate Trinity River Plaza office building. That is next to Univerity Plaza. And bring mixed use deveopment to the river. Set to start later this year or early 07. So it looks like TRV is already starting more projects east and west of uptown. rolleyes.gif

#262 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Quite a stretch to attribute a University Drive development to the TRV. So I guess it's true:
This don't really fit in this topic

#263 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

Besides, there's already a thread about the River Plaza redevlopment in the Commercial projects forum.

#264 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:23 PM) View Post

Besides, there's already a thread about the River Plaza redevlopment in the Commercial projects forum.

I havent seen it? Anyway I was going by this weeks FWBP.

#265 SLO

SLO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

It is an outstanding and ambitious plan. Ive often taken the drive up Main from Joe T's with the courthouse straight ahead and thought, this should be Fort Worths identity, the main drag, lined with trees and mid rise buildings leading to the CBD.

QUOTE(Redshirt @ Dec 10 2004, 08:11 PM) View Post

Just thought I would post the picture off the TRV.org site since nobody else has done it yet. laugh.gif

IPB Image

#266 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:34 AM

Has anybody heard anything new about TRV's process?

#267 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:07 PM

Fort Worth project could serve as Nashville riverfront model
By Bill Harless, bharless@nashvillecitypaper.com
September 01, 2006

When a group of city planners last week made a preliminary suggestion Nashville cut a channel just off the east bank of the Cumberland and thereby create a 275-acre island that would encompass the Titans’ home field, they said a benefit of this plan for redeveloping the riverfront would be its uniqueness.

No man — or no city — is an island, however. The city of Fort Worth, Texas, for example, has secured a significant amount of federal funding to undertake a similar project just north of its downtown. After six years of study already, another year or two of planning is now required before construction, an estimated 10-year process, can begin on the project.

The effort in Fort Worth perhaps indicates the Nashville island – designed, in part, by Cambridge, Mass.-based Hargreaves Associates — may be no pipe dream, according to T.K. Davis, design director for the Nashville Civic Design Center.

And there is an interesting Nashville-Fort Worth connection, although not one likely to be significant: Randy Hutcheson, who worked several years in the design studio of the Metro Planning Department and with the Nashville Civic Design Center as the nonprofit crafted the Plan of Nashville, left Nashville for Fort Worth two years ago and has helped craft the zoning regulations for the Trinity Uptown project there.

“Here the issue is periodic flooding that goes beyond what you get on the Cumberland River,” Hutcheson said in an interview this week, regarding the $435 million Fort Worth project, which would allow roughly 800 acres of land, known as Trinity Uptown, to be compactly developed with residential and commercial development and parkland. Currently, development there is severely restricted because of the possibility of flooding.

A 1949 flooding of the Trinity River caused $13 million in property damage in Fort Worth, spurring Congress to build a levee system there.

Now, however, the Texas city intends to dig a 1.5-mile bypass channel for the Trinity River to replace the levee system, leaving the 800-acre island as a byproduct.

The channel will carry waters around the former floodland, allowing it to be densely developed and creating 12 miles of public waterfront, according to Hutcheson. Proponents say the development will add more than $2.1 billion to the area property tax base over a 50-year build-out period.

The project is a collaboration between the city and county, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Tarrant (County) Regional Water District (TRWD), the area’s raw water supplier and flood control agency. It is depending on half its funding coming from the federal government, and already the U.S. Congress has authorized the Corps of Engineers to spend $110 million on the project, according to Woody Frossard, a TRWD director.

Of the $435 million total, 27 percent would derive from a tax increment financing (TIF) district that has been established in and around the Trinity Uptown area. Thanks to this, any new property tax revenues higher than current property tax revenues — generated because of new development within the district — will be directed to the channel project.

On top of the federal financing, TRWD will provide 15 percent of the monies, the city 6 percent, or $26 million, and Tarrant County 3 percent.

According to a recent article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the TRWD has proposed a $64.7 million general fund budget for its upcoming fiscal year, $49.2 million higher than its budget last year; $51 million would be devoted to the Uptown project. A two-cent property tax increase would be needed to support the budget, according to the article.

Frossard, however, said no tax revenue would be used for Uptown funding. The dollars, rather, will come from revenues the utility generates by selling gas discovered on one of its properties.

According to the Star-Telegram article, about 95 property of owners currently have land interests in the Uptown area. Frossard would not confirm this number but did say 116 parcels must be acquired for the project. If owners are not willing to sell, the local government is willing to pursue eminent domain, although it hopes to avoid this, Frossard said.

Davis, of the Civic Design Center, said he believes the Fort Worth program shows Metro would not necessarily have to commit a huge sum of money to the island project, if the city goes for it.

And as Hargreaves principal Gavin McMillan — who is leading the riverfront master planning program in Nashville — noted last week, Davis re-emphasized the Cumberland has 100-year and a 500-year flood cycles, adding, “We do have a flood issue, and you don’t have to be New Orleans to get access to federal money for this kind of thing.”

As for Hutcheson, he views the Uptown project primarily a flood control project, as an effective way of limiting urban sprawl.

“I see it as being an opportunity to cut down on the amount of farmland that is being quickly used up in this area for sprawling single-family homes on the edge [of the city],” he said. “It’s a good infill development project.”

Hutcheson said the city Planning Department has designed a zoning code for the area that establishes strict design guidelines for public spaces, carefully designing sidewalks, lighting and riverfront rails, etc.

#268 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:01 AM

Who wants to bet that project will come to fruition before the TRV project will even though Fort Worth has been "working" on this for eternity it seems like conf.gif . Just seems to take Fort Worth forever to get anything done.

#269 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:32 PM

I don't. TRV seems to have the big MO. Just cause you don't see dirt turning doesn't mean stuff isn't happening.

#270 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(Redshirt @ Sep 3 2006, 03:01 AM) View Post

Who wants to bet that project will come to fruition before the TRV project will even though Fort Worth has been "working" on this for eternity it seems like conf.gif . Just seems to take Fort Worth forever to get anything done.

Catch this weeks "Fort Worth Texas" Magazine this week. The whole mag is about the project. Kinda all fluff but some new info.

You can also expect the "Fort Worth Weekly" talk about how evil this project is next week. Like how TRV is unfair to drug dealers newlaugh.gif

#271 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:40 PM

I just noticed an updated newsletter from Trinity River Vision in my email this evening. It seems to me that they are making a lot of effort to counter some of the criticisms of the project that came up during the TRWD Election. I don't have the direct link to the newsletter, but you can probably find it at www.trinityrivervision.org

#272 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:48 PM

Has any construction started on this project yet? Or is it still in the process of getting approved??

#273 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(rriojas71 @ Sep 25 2006, 01:48 PM) View Post

Has any construction started on this project yet? Or is it still in the process of getting approved??

I believe everything is good to go and they will start digging out the new chanel in 2008. I think they are doing the engineering right now. However, there is a lot of work currently being done getting the existing streets, drainage, curbs and sidewalks cleaned up and in good condition. It is amazing how much of a difference in appearance a repaired curb and sidewalk makes when it was infested with weeds andcrumbling to pieces prior to being fixed.

#274 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

I don't think Pier 1, Radio Shack, or TCC would invest millions if they were not sure the project would happen.

#275 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(cjyoung @ Sep 27 2006, 11:18 AM) View Post

I don't think Pier 1, Radio Shack, or TCC would invest millions if they were not sure the project would happen.

Aren't at least Radio Shack and Pier One having financial difficulties? Maybe they are not the best visionaries. happy.gif

#276 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(mmiller2002 @ Sep 27 2006, 12:29 PM) View Post

Aren't at least Radio Shack and Pier One having financial difficulties? Maybe they are not the best visionaries. happy.gif

I'm always amazed when any retailer lasts longer than a decade. It's tough to keep up with people's changing tastes.

#277 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:10 AM

They appear to be doing engineering work, core samples etc along the river below henderson st bridge.

So as I understand it, bridges are built, rebuilt in 2007 and channel work in 2008 right?

#278 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:37 AM

I am not sure, is this a done deal and all the talking is finished. Do you know Andy?

I don't think TCC is too worried about their investment, after all they didn't earn their money they just get it from other people.

#279 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

Engineering is underway. Stuff is happening, but I have no idea when you'll be able to drive by and see bulldozers pushing dirt.

At this time, I don't know anything more than what was published in the newsletter that I referred to above.

#280 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

I think before you see bulldozers pushing dirt, you will see them push over the buidlings that stand in the way of the channels.

#281 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Sep 28 2006, 02:51 PM) View Post

QUOTE(mmiller2002 @ Sep 27 2006, 12:29 PM) View Post

I'm always amazed when any retailer lasts longer than a decade. It's tough to keep up with people's changing tastes.

There's always the MERGER thing to consider too these days. Think GLOBAL. smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#282 rogersmeltzer

rogersmeltzer

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(rriojas71 @ Sep 25 2006, 01:48 PM) View Post

Construction hasn't started and won't until sometime next year. The last time I heard an 'official' update was in early September when I met with some people from TRWD.

They are still finalizing which properties and how much property will be needed.

Meanwhile, they are doing soil samples on about 70 pieces of dirt that might be environmentally damaged. The thought is that clean-up takes so long that once the neceassary land is identified that will need clean-up, they will acquire this along with any land needed for bridges which is phase one. They don't want the environmental clean-up to slow down the project in later phases.

I think it will be in March or April before the environmental properties and exact land needed for the whole project.

#283 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

whats up with these height limitations for Trinity Uptown?Protecting views of existing neighborhoods?What neighborhoods?
This is why FW will never grow vertically.Whomever makes these rules must be afraid of heights.Isnt there limitations in the CD?

T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#284 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

If I'm reading correctly, the height restrictions just limit buildings above 96 feet to certain areas. This sounds like a much better plan than what I've previously heard. I think this is a good thing.

Uptown to blend with downtown

By MIKE LEE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - The new buildings in the proposed Trinity Uptown project will be laid out to complement the existing downtown, not compete with it, according to regulations the City Council approved unanimously Tuesday.

Tall office towers will be permitted in three areas -- just across the Trinity River from the courthouse, along the bluff of the river and north of LaGrave Field -- to keep from obscuring the views of existing neighborhoods. Buildings in other parts of the district will have height limits, generally about 96 feet.

The regulations are also intended to promote a mix of businesses, apartments and condos, without creating too much competing office space.

"We wanted the central business district to be kept as the main business district," said Dana Burghdoff, the city's assistant planning director.

Trinity Uptown is a blanket name for neighborhoods expected to be built as part of the $360 million Trinity River Vision project. The centerpiece will be a new lake where the Trinity passes north of downtown, and a bypass channel that will both control flooding on the river and create more waterfront property. Dozens of existing shops and businesses are slated to be removed.

When it is finished, officials believe that the new "uptown" could be as large as the existing downtown.

A task force of city officials and businesspeople spent nearly a year drawing up design standards. As proposed, the uptown area would cover the area from the river to Northside Drive. The western boundary would be the new bypass channel, which will follow the existing railroad tracks.

In most of the uptown area, commercial uses will be limited to a third of the square footage of each building or group of buildings. In areas with taller buildings, commercial uses will be limited to floors within the first 120 feet, unless the developer builds parking spaces into the building. That regulation is intended to promote more parking garages.

"We allowed the extra height to avoid having a sea of surface parking," Burghdoff said.

Mike Lee, 817-390-7539 mikelee@star-telegram.com

#285 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:32 PM

[quote name='Now in Denton' date='Jul 1 2006, 12:07 PM' post='27339']
[quote name='Now in Denton' date='May 18 2006, 12:48 PM' post='25773']
Again look at this rendering Samuels on the left hand side .Where does a taller building on the TRV block the courthouse? I would think a 5 story building on SAMUELS would block the Courthouse view than anything on thr TRV.

IPB Image
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Does this look like it would comply with the limitations?
Are the neighborhoods theyre talking about on Samuels?

#286 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:41 PM

I can tell you one thing for certain right now... MAIN ST. WILL BE HELL... that is H... E... L... L...!!!!

We need to connect Trinity uptown with Downtown with more than just Main St. I am thinking another bridge between TCC and Trinity Bluff.

#287 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Nov 8 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post

If I'm reading correctly, the height restrictions just limit buildings above 96 feet to certain areas. This sounds like a much better plan than what I've previously heard. I think this is a good thing.

Uptown to blend with downtown

By MIKE LEE

FORT WORTH - The new buildings in the proposed Trinity Uptown project will be laid out to complement the existing downtown, not compete with it, according to regulations the City Council approved unanimously Tuesday.

Tall office towers will be permitted in three areas -- just across the Trinity River from the courthouse, along the bluff of the river and north of LaGrave Field -- to keep from obscuring the views of existing neighborhoods. Buildings in other parts of the district will have height limits, generally about 96 feet.

The regulations are also intended to promote a mix of businesses, apartments and condos, without creating too much competing office space.

"We wanted the central business district to be kept as the main business district," said Dana Burghdoff, the city's assistant planning director.

Trinity Uptown is a blanket name for neighborhoods expected to be built as part of the $360 million Trinity River Vision project. The centerpiece will be a new lake where the Trinity passes north of downtown, and a bypass channel that will both control flooding on the river and create more waterfront property. Dozens of existing shops and businesses are slated to be removed.

When it is finished, officials believe that the new "uptown" could be as large as the existing downtown.

A task force of city officials and businesspeople spent nearly a year drawing up design standards. As proposed, the uptown area would cover the area from the river to Northside Drive. The western boundary would be the new bypass channel, which will follow the existing railroad tracks.

In most of the uptown area, commercial uses will be limited to a third of the square footage of each building or group of buildings. In areas with taller buildings, commercial uses will be limited to floors within the first 120 feet, unless the developer builds parking spaces into the building. That regulation is intended to promote more parking garages.

"We allowed the extra height to avoid having a sea of surface parking," Burghdoff said.

Mike Lee, 817-390-7539 mikelee@star-telegram.com

Why do they need to see the courthouse? I want 'Uptown' to be 3x the current downtown.

#288 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(cjyoung @ Nov 9 2006, 11:20 AM) View Post

Why do they need to see the courthouse? I want 'Uptown' to be 3x the current downtown.

I second that!DT seems to be higher in elevation.If towers are permitted across the river from the courthouse,why are there limitations all together?That spot would block any view from the north.
Also,our "Uptown" would only benefit DT if the two could merge,kinda like DTD and its Uptown.

#289 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

Foresight is needed for Vision
By Mitchell Schnurman

Is this a waste of taxpayer money or shrewd politics?

The Trinity River Vision, generally enjoying rave reviews, has just signed Fort Worth's top political strategist to a five-year consulting deal that will likely top $1 million.

At first blush, the move seems like overkill, considering that the river project faces no voter referendum and that supporters won the two open seats in last spring's water board election.

But Bryan Eppstein landed the contract with a seductive pitch: Hire him and his PR dream team to get out in front of potential problems and prevent them, rather than play defense after bad news erupts.

This isn't a novel notion, but it's especially on point for the Trinity River Vision, which aims to reroute a river and turn the desolate north side of downtown into gorgeous waterfront property. Although the initial funding is in hand for the downtown portion of the project, estimated at $435 million, leaders will have to fight continually over the next decade to keep the federal, state and local dollars coming.

Any scandal, over sensitive issues such as minority contracting and eminent domain, could undermine popular support -- and threaten the political balance. Surely it would be better if that consulting money were used to dredge canals, build bridges and compensate displaced businesses, jobs at the core of the river development. But $15,000 a month will be money well-spent if Eppstein can strengthen the backing from residents and local politicians and free up TRV officials to manage the nitty-gritty and keep the project moving.

When a controversy does arise, the agency will have Eppstein to reach out and shore up support in all the right circles. Among his many clients are Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief, members of the City Council and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.

The world might be a fairer place if so much power weren't concentrated among a handful of political insiders, but it's foolish to ignore the reality.

Eppstein says the contract isn't unusual for his Fort Worth firm, not in price or length, and most of its work is done in public affairs. In last week's election, however, he was involved in 70 campaigns, including many referendums and propositions.

"We won 67 of 'em," Eppstein said.

Local competitors complained that they didn't have a fair shot at this piece of business and said officials should have put out a request for bids. Maybe that would have looked better, but it's not required for a professional-services contract, and it's unlikely to have changed the outcome.

J.D. Granger, director of the TRV authority that oversees the river project, says he met with several people who specialize in public relations and minority contracting. Eppstein bowled him over by expanding the scope of the assignment and pulling in other professionals who give the campaign instant expertise and credibility.

The Eppstein group is partnering with Rosa Navejar, president of the Fort Worth Hispanic Chamber of Commerce; Wyntress Ware, an African-American woman whose firm specializes in minority contracting and grassroots PR; and Lisa LeMaster, leader of a Dallas firm that's well-known for dealing with the news media on behalf of high-profile clients like Tom Hicks, Ross Perot Jr., Halliburton and the Dallas Catholic Diocese.

Navejar and Ware will focus on lining up enough minority contractors, a crucial goal for the Trinity River Vision -- and a thicket for many public projects. They'll recruit businesses, help them get the proper credentials from an assortment of government agencies and try to ensure that they're qualified for the job.

The gauntlet of paperwork can be daunting and time-consuming, taking up to nine months to get approval from some federal agencies.

The TRV is about economic development as much as flood control, and it's committed to award 25 percent of the project's total spending to minority- and women-owned businesses. That's more than $100 million, and Granger can't just put out an advertisement and wait for minority bidders to show up.

General contractors say they sometimes have to pay more to get a certified minority sub to meet the award guidelines, especially in Fort Worth. Navejar and Ware will try to find enough players to keep the bidding competitive.

Navejar has already been helping the TRV in her current job at the chamber, but the workload became too great, she said, so Eppstein suggested that she join the team. The chamber board gave her the OK to add the outside assignment.

Ware will also track the progress of minority contracts, audit the numbers and share the details with residents and companies.

She and Navejar have clout and credibility with important audiences that Eppstein and Granger may not be able to reach.

"This thing requires full-circle communication," Ware said. "The worst thing that could happen is for people to think we have secrets. Nobody should be left out of this process."

It's not unusual for some contractors to threaten to raise a stink if they don't get a deal; with Ware and Navejar running point on the matter, those threats may never gain traction. When a story hits the news, LeMaster will work the media. Eppstein, meanwhile, will also monitor government relations.

"Brian was the only one who really understood the scope of our problems," Granger said about Eppstein's multipronged proposal.

He expected criticism for the hire -- and he got some -- because of the total costs and Eppstein's connections. The strategist has also worked for his mother, Rep. Kay Granger of Fort Worth.

"But my job is to get this project done," J.D. Granger said, "and he has to help us manage this important part."

I'm betting the team earns its money.

#290 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

And why did they just blow $1 million on this SCHMO to inform us that the project is looking to hire minority interests AGAIN???

I believe John"Q" public has pretty much been informed about TIF's and federal budget criterias since the inception of this project, maybe I'm wrong here.

Like $1million sense of the word wrong.

Navejar and Ware will try to find enough players to keep the bidding competitive.

Pre-requisite, join the FWHCOC ???

I'm betting the team earns its money

Poli-strategists consultants don't EARN their money on projects like this. It's pretty much given to them.

Halliburton is revving up their tractors as we speak.
www.iheartfw.com

#291 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:03 AM

Trinity project managers moving downtownBy MAX B. BAKER
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER
The Trinity River Vision Authority will move into downtown Fort Worth offices early next year, a $240,000 venture that officials say will boost the agency's profile while making it easier to manage the far-reaching, $435 million Trinity Uptown project.

The nonprofit agency is leasing about 3,400 square feet in the Commerce Building where it will have six offices, a conference room and a display area where models for the Trinity Uptown project and Tarrant County College downtown campus will be on display.

The Tarrant Regional Water District, which created the authority to manage the Trinity Uptown project and other ventures along 88 miles of the Trinity River and its tributaries, recently approved about $240,000 for interior design and construction. The agency is renting the space for about $4,500 a month. Trinity River Vision hopes to move into its new home by February.

"We're burning up a lot of time running from patron to patron to have meetings," said J.D. Granger, Trinity River Vision's executive director. "And I'm busting out of three cubicles and two meeting rooms at the water district."

Trinity River Vision will share the offices with Trinity River Communications Joint Venture, the public relations firm the authority hired to help it with minority contracting, and with the city, the Army Corp of Engineers, and Streams and Valleys, which is the project coordinator for the neighborhood enhancement component of the project.

Pinnacle Consulting Management Group, the company hired by the water district to meet with property owners in the path of Trinity Uptown, will also work out of the offices. Pinnacle helps those who need to relocate their businesses.

"Frankly, the owners are hitting the water district, the city -- they don't know who to turn to," Granger said. "This is to assist property owners and those looking for contracting opportunities and those just wanting to ask questions. It will be one-stop shopping."

The city of Fort Worth is negotiating to move its Minority/Women Business Enterprise office into the same building; its International Center is already there, said Assistant City Manager Dale Fisseler.

"We're going to be right next to the TRV project and we think there are some benefits of having them close together," Fisseler said. "They will be helping contractors work through the myriad of processes you have to work through to work with the Texas Department of Transportation or the Army Corps."

Trinity Uptown is an 800-acre project that calls for creation of a Town Lake and a Trinity River bypass channel that would cut through the near north side of Fort Worth, creating an island of commercial and residential development. It is part of the Trinity River Vision, developed in the 1990s, that hopes to improve the Trinity's greenbelts and tributaries throughout the Fort Worth area.

Opponents of Trinity Uptown have criticized its portrayal as a flood control project and said that its overall price tag could reach $700 million. They've also been outraged that some of the infrastructure projects may force some landowners off their property.

Fort Worth City Councilman Chuck Silcox, a critic of Trinity Uptown, said Trinity River Vision really wants to use the offices to convince the public that this project is a good idea.

"They know the public doesn't support this and they want to get it out there," Silcox said. "Tell a lie long enough, people will start to believe it. They are trying to get the public to buy into something."

Wanda Conlin, an opponent of Trinity Uptown, said the project "smells worse and worse" when property and small business owners pay one of the highest tax rates of any major city in the state.

"There's something wrong with this picture," Conlin said.

Similar offices were opened in Dallas by officials overseeing their 20-mile-long Trinity River project.

The Trinity Center in Oak Lawn will be the home of the Trinity Trust Foundation and several other nonprofits involved in the transportation, flood protection and economic development project that includes three bridges. The city of Dallas has employees working out of that office.

#292 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(Dallastar @ Dec 8 2006, 11:03 AM) View Post

Fort Worth City Councilman Chuck Silcox, a critic of Trinity Uptown, said Trinity River Vision really wants to use the offices to convince the public that this project is a good idea.

"They know the public doesn't support this and they want to get it out there," Silcox said. "Tell a lie long enough, people will start to believe it. They are trying to get the public to buy into something."

Chuck can jump into a lake for all I care.

...a town lake that is.

#293 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Dec 8 2006, 10:15 AM) View Post

Word.

Anti-TRV, but Pro-Southwest-Parkway? Silcox' priorities seem skewed.

The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#294 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

I'm not sure that the reporter wasn't asking for quote about Southwest Parkway.

#295 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(Bernd @ Dec 8 2006, 10:07 AM) View Post

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Dec 8 2006, 10:15 AM) View Post

Word.

Anti-TRV, but Pro-Southwest-Parkway? Silcox' priorities seem skewed.

He was also againts even a tax dime for the Tower. Yet he said he got calls from his people in Southwest Fort Worth (The Tower is outside thier district) saying they wanted the Bank fixed and then he threw his support.

Mr Silcox . Fort Worth voted in Jim Lane a giant supporter of TRV. Fort Worthian knew Lane supported the TRV . Fort Worth does support this vision. Thier may be something as time goes by. That I will not like. But overall I and other Fort Worthians support this. Silcox is wrong. Yet again. mad.gif

#296 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

Does anyone know if the TRV model is still on public display somewhere? Last I heard it was at the central library, but that's been awhile back.

#297 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Dec 8 2006, 12:37 PM) View Post

Does anyone know if the TRV model is still on public display somewhere? Last I heard it was at the central library, but that's been awhile back.

Its at Central. Someone did tore off the Landmark off the display and left a nasty hole. But I think staff took down the smokestacks after they came down. But yes its all thier in Downtown.

#298 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Dec 8 2006, 09:15 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Dallastar @ Dec 8 2006, 11:03 AM) View Post

...a town lake that is.

City Councilman Chuck Silcox sounds like a transplant from the Dallas City Council.

#299 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

Naw, he can actually think intelligently so he couldn't possibly be on the Dallas Council. I think his perspective is to try and hold the line on spending. A lot of his constituents are older people who don't like shovelling over barrels full of money for projects they have no interest in. Also, I think he also has problems with the use of eminent domain to enrich private developers. I used to have a pretty poor opinion of Mr. Silcox too, but the times I've met him recently I've found him to be an agreeable person and I understand his point of view. Not that I will always agree with him, though.

#300 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Dec 8 2006, 07:00 PM) View Post

Naw, he can actually think intelligently so he couldn't possibly be on the Dallas Council.

WOW ! Hard to get happy after that one! newlaugh.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Panther Island, Redevelopment, North Side, Flood Control, Infrastructure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users