Go AGS!!!

#602 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

Was at Target this morning and noticed they were clearing off the vacant spot behind Montgomery Plaza. I assume this is going to be a Chik-fil-a.

Bad timing on the University Co-op store. The way they are playing this year, their merchandise will be about as popular as the Cowboys.

#603 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Chik-fil-a frame is going up fast. Appears to have standard drive thru, get readay for the traffic.....

#604 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

Chick-fil-A will open March 17. Be one of the first 100 customers and get free Chick-fil-A for a year.

#605 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

Chik-fil-a frame is going up fast. Appears to have standard drive thru, get readay for the traffic.....

well, it is a little out of the way of the soccer mom zone, unlike the AHHS location.

#606 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:24 AM

Correction the drive thru is different all to one side, a loop on the Target side. They put up patio seating towards the MW side, a bit more ped friendly that I expected. I am guessing it will be full with downtown workers looking for cheap lunch.

#607 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

Correction the drive thru is different all to one side, a loop on the Target side. They put up patio seating towards the MW side, a bit more ped friendly that I expected. I am guessing it will be full with downtown workers looking for cheap lunch.

Sweet, a patio in the middle of a parking lot ;-)

Do you really think that downtowners will drive to C-f-a just for lunch? Is it really that good?

#608 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Sweet, a patio in the middle of a parking lot ;-)

Do you really think that downtowners will drive to C-f-a just for lunch? Is it really that good?

That place will be packed every lunch hour. The CFA on North Central in Dallas is always packed with downtown folks and it is 3 miles from downtown (btw--it is one of the highest grossing locations of CFA in the country). Most CFA locations are fast, reasonably priced and for the most part good food.

The location is great as it gets the worker crowd and the stay at home moms with kids from the hoods off Camp Bowie/Montecello/Rivercrest areas.

#609 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Quite frankly I think this Chick-fil-A will be extremely successful. If I had the money I would have put one in that spot. My biggest concern is the traffic. It is already difficult getting out of that center on to Carroll. Now it will be even worse. I do not think they planned the exits well.

#610 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

The restaurant is the first to be built to the standards of the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification program. As a result, the Montgomery Plaza restaurant will serve as a testing ground to evaluate and benchmark a variety of sustainability efforts.

http://www.fwbusines...hick-fil-A.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looka like a lot of people want free meals! :cheez:

#611 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

My son who is on spring break was talking about getting in line, but I convinced him otherwise.

#612 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Since the street modifications I've been waiting for traffic to settle down over there but it just keeps getting worse. The lights back traffic up sometimes past the parking lot exits, I've wondered if those living there with a 7th street view ever took pictures of the chaos that goes on over there.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#613 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Guys working inside the old Wolf Camera shop told me it's going to be a Pizza Inn. I haven't been to one before, but I'm under the impression it's a step down from Domino's...seems an odd place for one.

#614 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

The Fort Worth Weekly reports that Montgomery Plaza has now joined other property owners along West 7th Street in towing away cars that are parked by people who leave the development.

http://www.fwweekly....3504&Itemid=482

#615 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Not that I don't feel bad for the people getting towed, but it is sure enough what they need to do. It is not public parking. If I was paying a bunch of money to rent a space there for my restaurant and there was not enough parking for my customers because people were parking in front of my business and walking a few blocks away, I would sure be unhappy and demand they police the parking lot for non-customers.

Just a matter of private property.

I have notice people parking in that vacant lot across from Chuey's. It looks like they must have made a deal with the owner because that lot used to be roped off with negative signage. I think Chesapeake owns that lot. (I know this because once I figured there was not enough parking, I had the bright idea to buy that lot and build a garage.) I still think a garage and parking could be compatible with natural gas drilling once all the drilling is done. Don't think there is enough space for the fracking water though. (I don't have a clue about any of this... Somebody stop me.)
www.fortworthview.com

#616 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Fortworthology has an interesting commentary on the issue that was posted this afternoon.

Brian, I don't know enough about how much land a gas well needs to answer your question about whether there is enough room across from Chuy's for a well and a parking garage.

#617 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm not sure how I missed this, but Montgomery Plaza appears to be bringing in a Michael's store in the vacancy East of Target.

#618 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

That would be great, I hate going to Cityview for my scrapbooking supplies...

...but seriously, that will be handy for the things we need now and then from that type of store.

#619 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sure enough. Pretty big deal. Sure enough attracts a certain customer type to the area. Could be others would benefit. (Like Pier One or Ross)
www.fortworthview.com

#620 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Yep. Good, solid store. We live closer to the other one, but hopefully we'll be closer to W7 in the future and my wife will go to the new one.
My blog: Doohickie

#621 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

I've known about it for a while. I thought I had posted something, but often I have full intentions of putting something on the board and then I forget. Senior moments.

#622 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

Walking to Target and Michaels yesterday, I brought my camera.  The sky got really pretty an was glad I had it.  This photo, to me, looks like an artists renditions of what a complex might look like. Almost fairytale like.  But shot a single camera shot.  

MontgomeryPlaza-3_zps7b035b4f.jpg

www.fortworthview.com

#623 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Noticed Wine Styles is now closed.

#624 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

8962644592_53bd0a12f1_b.jpg

not sure i like the modern cabana structure on top of our 85 year montgomery plaza. frankly i can't believe the HOA allowed it. 

#625 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Meh, no one notices it unless you look for it and I'll bet it makes for a pretty sweet rooftop deck.

#626 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Besides, it's a better aspect of the project than owning a condo overlooking a strip-mall parking lot.  :)

--

Kara B.

#627 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Another restaurant tries ...
http://www.dfw.com/2...dy-to-open.html

#628 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

I'm so weary of concept restaurants opened by chefs.  I like to eat at a place run by a cook.

My blog: Doohickie

#629 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 03:53 PM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2022013874

PROJECT
Project Name: GOLFTEC Montgomery Plaza
Project Number:
TABS2022013874
Facility Name: GOLFTEC Montgomery Plaza
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 4/20/2022
Completion Date: 6/30/2022
Estimated Cost: $175,000
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: COMMERCIAL TENANT IMPROVEMENT WITHIN THE EXISTING STRUCTURE LOCATED AT 2600 WEST 7TH STREET, SUITE 158, FORT WORTH, TX 76107, TO A GOLF INSTRUCTION FACILITY. PROJECT SCOPE INCLUDES 2,800 SF OF INTERIOR SPACE AND THE CONSTRUCTION OF NEW INTERIOR WALL
Square Footage: 2,800 ft 2

OWNER
Owner Name: 2600 Montgomery LLC
Owner Address: 5305 Village Creek Drive
Plano, Texas 75093

#630 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 05:41 PM

I can't find the thread, but we discussed this zoning change a bit already. There is now a site plan in the zoning docket. How exciting is this!
https://www.fortwort...mmission-agenda
041L6nW.png

#631 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 06:44 PM

Interesting.

So I guess the Marshall's and Ross stores stay, the Michaels's and Dollar Tree become a 7 story residential building. And then the Office Depot, Petsmart, and Five Below become a 5 story building.

It's very interesting though personally I wouldn't want to live in a big box shopping center. Unless long term they are going to tear down and replace all of it.

#632 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 10:18 PM

I know my MW posts have nothing to do with this, but if it does, we have a lot more power on this forum than we think... ( :laugh:)

Interesting.

So I guess the Marshall's and Ross stores stay, the Michaels's and Dollar Tree become a 7 story residential building. And then the Office Depot, Petsmart, and Five Below become a 5 story building.

It's very interesting though personally I wouldn't want to live in a big box shopping center. Unless long term they are going to tear down and replace all of it.

200.gif

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#633 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 July 2022 - 10:30 PM

Jeriat, you just never know.  This forum might have planted a seed at some point.

#634 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:45 AM

Interesting.

I hear what you're saying and yes I agree but I think it is a better adaptive mixed use of the property.  Younger people I don't think would mind it that much.  The only thing I think needs to be done is to create some a connection to Left Bank past the railroad tracks so that these new residents can have easier access to Tom Thumb.  They could just make a street with a rail crossing near the open space area of the project.

#635 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 12:48 PM

Yay, putting residential in here is a great idea. The immediate area is a bit over-retailed IMO and this will even things out a bit. Next up: replace the surface lots in front of Target with a two-story parking structure, freeing up yet more of the adjacent parking ocean for real development.

I hear what you're saying and yes I agree but I think it is a better adaptive mixed use of the property.  Younger people I don't think would mind it that much.  The only thing I think needs to be done is to create some a connection to Left Bank past the railroad tracks so that these new residents can have easier access to Tom Thumb.  They could just make a street with a rail crossing near the open space area of the project.

Or a pedestrian-only at-grade or elevated (bridge) crossing!

#636 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 03:20 PM

Over the railroad tracks or river? I think both would be nice.

#637 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 July 2022 - 09:13 PM

Wow! New Urbanism in the city! Im here for it.

#638 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 07:46 AM

I think rriojas71 and I are both proposing a connection in the vicinity of this green arrow:

eFOaWZt.jpg

#639 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 July 2022 - 08:10 AM

I think rriojas71 and I are both proposing a connection in the vicinity of this green arrow:

eFOaWZt.jpg

Pretty much like that but I think using Nebraska Street a little more south of the arrow would be the better way to go.

#640 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 12:35 PM

Pretty much like that but I think using Nebraska Street a little more south of the arrow would be the better way to go.

Agreed, it would further plug in to the trinity trail system. Don't see it happening though, it would need to be a ped bridge with elevators which would cost money to maintain and get ruined by the homeless. Elevated DART stations like Walnut Hill have public elevators which are all glass and sometimes people pee in them and they stink and get hot in the sun.

An alternative would be to build a bike trail along the west side of the railroad tracks, and then at the West 7th crossing maybe there's some kind of uncommon railroad grade crossing signal configuration that would allow the sidewalk there to be widened and get rid of the hazard that is is the moving counterweights of the caution arms.

#641 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 12:48 PM

If a bridge over the FWWR tracks was constructed connecting the two ends of 5th Street it would not only provide the connection for local residents to shopping amenities but would also create an alternative connection for other local traffic that doesn't require getting onto and off of 7th Street, which can be a hassle at certain times of the day. If another bridge was built over the river connecting this to the eastern bank end of 5th Street it would create a completely new commuting route for those residents to jobs and other amenities downtown; followed all the way to the east side of downtown it would connect into Spur 280 and the freeway system. At the eastern end of the route there would be the opportunity to connect into University Drive and Bailey Streets, again without having to access 7th Street.

There seems to be plenty of unobstructed ramp approach for this bridge on each side of the tracks. The parking lot on the west side already has roads in place that could be easily expanded to accommodate the new roadway. There should be no cost for land acquisition to the city as the connection would provide plenty of needed transportation infrastructure appropriate to the sort of development that is anticipated. The bridge and other accessory improvements might be paid for through a new Public Improvement District for the development parcels on both sides of the tracks that would benefit from the connection. Eliminating the street parking on the eastern side of the connector would provide enough width for the new traffic.

Looking ahead, another potential for this route would be a future route for modern streetcar transportation between the Near Westside and Downtown of the new bridges were designed to support that option. It has been mentioned on this forum before; streetcars could travel down Foch and Currie on one-way routes so the streets could remain unobstructed, and then turn west onto Lancaster to access the Cultural District, possibly turning south down Gendy to a turnaround in front of Dickies Arena. For this sort of local connector only two traffic lanes would be needed, leaving room for future transit, an urban bicycle route on one side and pedestrian traffic on the other. Until streetcars come to Fort Worth a local bus route could use the transit lanes, freeing up 7th Street for larger faster, express routes.

#642 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 02:00 PM

Also, the connection through to Adolph St. is exciting. 

#643 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:37 PM

Love idea of connecting over (or under) RR tracks around there. 

The more connections the better. 

Just saw the first page of this thread an was reminded of the blue bricks (or were those tiles?) on the Montgomery Ward building.  I assume those were mid-century additions.  (re-pasted John's photo below).  I really like those - just in case any architects on here want to use in a building anytime soon. 

mp-const-gb.jpg

#644 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 05:12 PM

By any chance did the Dick's Sporting Goods at Northeast Mall used to be a Montgomery Wards?

Because there is a wall of bricks just like that in the corridor that lets you exit the north side of the mall before the JC Penney. They caught my eye this weekend when I was there and just noticed this again.

#645 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:21 PM

Dick's Sporting Goods was previously Saks Fifth Avenue.  The former Montgomery Ward building was located in about the same area as the current Rave movie theater and the surrounding restaurants.

#646 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:37 PM

Urbndwlr, here is an overall view of the building prior to the transformation into Montgomery Plaza.  The base of the building at that time was predominantly blue glazed brick, but there were a few areas of blue mosaic tile on that base, as well.  You are correct in that it was a Mid-Century remodeling of the building that corresponded to the low rise addition on the west wing of the building.  The Mid-Century base covered up the ground floor arches that are currently exposed on the building.  The latest remodeling clad the concrete base with a gray tile.  Here's a link to the Montgomery Ward page on the main website.

wards.jpg

Steave, I was going to answer your question about Northeast Mall, but JBB beat me to it while I was trying to find my picture of Montgomery Ward from the early 2000s. 

#647 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:30 PM

Love those blue bricks! And that font on the signage, love that too!

#648 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:47 PM

Almost the entire remodeled base consisted of the blue glazed bricks.  Nitixope, I'm curious about the signage font that you like.  Which sign?  They all a little different.

#649 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 09:48 PM

I like the sans-sarif mid-century font on the blue bricks. The style and color combination really appeal to me. It is simplistic, clean and modern but carries a retro vibe.

#650 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 10:06 PM

That font was used as their logo in the '50s and '60s.  Since the blue brick renovation was done in 1963, that fits within the time frame that the logo was used.  The neon roof signs were installed at the same time, and I believe they are a modified version of the same font. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users