AndyN's Content

There have been 101 items by AndyN (Search limited from 23-March 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#102483 West 7th Development

Posted by AndyN on 19 April 2017 - 01:16 PM in Commercial

Sounds like a 21st century Pier One.

#104450 Trinity River Vision

Posted by AndyN on 26 July 2017 - 09:40 AM in Public & Institutional

I haven't seen it yet but someone says they actually finally poured a concrete pier.

#102021 Trinity River Vision

Posted by AndyN on 31 March 2017 - 11:32 AM in Public & Institutional

My suggestion still stands that this thread needs to steer clear of politics and personal attacks. We can start a page to discuss the political aspects of the project on the politics subforum.

#108755 Trinity River Vision

Posted by AndyN on 06 February 2018 - 11:05 AM in Public & Institutional

I said it ten years ago when I ran for the Water District board. When it's all said and done, the cost will be over a billion dollars. The construction is proceeding at a snails pace. Why oh why do we have a former assistant D.A. in charge of a massive public works program? I'll save the rest of my comments for the politics subforum.

#105721 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 13 September 2017 - 02:31 PM in Transportation

This bridge is an absolute monster. I noticed in the last week that you could see the pylons coming into downtown on 121 and girders started going up this week.

Yes, and looking like quite the roller coaster ride.

#106192 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 27 September 2017 - 11:15 AM in Transportation

I'm guessing actual operation of the line will be contracted to an experienced private operator like Herzog does for the TRE. 

#106756 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 19 October 2017 - 02:49 PM in Transportation

I don't think Ron lives in Fort Worth.

I'm glad y'all found each other to debate with. Keeps me from tilting at windmills.

#108052 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 25 December 2017 - 03:33 PM in Transportation

Seldom am I willing to give FWTA/DART the benefit of the doubt; the visual perception in photo taken of the over pass might be an exaggeration created by where the photo is snapped. If it really is a hazardous issue, then it is yet another example of on of their bone-headed decisions.

Looking forward to the "views" is yet another snarky remark from the other side of the Metroplex; and from someone who will likely never have a daily reason to ride Tarrant Express other than during opening ceremonies.

The irresistible urge to throw cold water at anything on this side is obsessive.

My comments about it being a roller coaster are tongue in cheek. While the grade changes may not be outside of maximums, they are not something you normally see in railroading outside of mountainous areas. The grade changes are needed, and you probably won't be holding your hands in the air when you pass through, but it is very different for tracks around here. It is not necessary for you to take a jab at Tamtagon for his reply to my post. As I can see the tracks from my back yard and they do climb so high over Peach Yard and the Choctaw Sub, I'm willing to bet you will get some scenic views of north Fort Worth and downtown from this route.

Your caustic commenting is off-putting and detrimental to the forum.

#107848 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 14 December 2017 - 10:39 AM in Transportation

That is going to be a real roller coaster of a ride north of downtown.

#105696 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 12 September 2017 - 01:34 PM in Transportation

DART - Downtown Dallas to DFW Airport: 10 stops,  65 to 70 mins.

Man, that orange line ride to the airport is a beating. I rode out one night just to see the line and I didn't get past Northlake College before I gave up and turned around.

#104666 TEX Rail project

Posted by AndyN on 04 August 2017 - 11:25 AM in Transportation

Stadler completes first US assembled FLIRT for TexRail project:

#102184 "Left Bank"

Posted by AndyN on 06 April 2017 - 10:59 AM in Commercial

Surprised I didn't see anyone I knew yesterday evening. 

When I work in Dallas I frequently find myself at the Whole Foods Market on McKinney Avenue which has ample below ground parking and residential components above. I'm disappointed that the Tom Thumb didn't make as much of an effort with urban design.

This is the closest store to my house, though. So I'll probably use it unless the traffic is insufferable. Prices seemed a little higher than the HEB I use in Midland but I liked the offerings. The WalMart on Beach is about 4 miles and this Tom Thumb is 3 miles.

#102534 Streetcar Circulator Update

Posted by AndyN on 21 April 2017 - 10:48 AM in Transportation

There's a fatal flaw of placing streetcars onto 7th Street, it's the at grade crossing of 7th with the FWWR rail line. The FRA and FTA will never ever allow it.

Not true. 3 examples of streetcars crossing railroads at grade:

#102543 Streetcar Circulator Update

Posted by AndyN on 21 April 2017 - 12:11 PM in Transportation

I didn't see posted speed limits and the last time I operated the streetcar in Tampa, the freight train that crossed was going faster than 10 mph. The suggestion that it can't happen is false.

#102585 Streetcar Circulator Update

Posted by AndyN on 23 April 2017 - 11:47 PM in Transportation

The streetcar will cross Paddock Viaduct before it crosses lancaster or 7th.

#102571 Streetcar Circulator Update

Posted by AndyN on 23 April 2017 - 12:11 AM in Transportation

Yes, in 2012 the insurance rate was pretty high. The line did some improvements to the interlocking signal system and was able to further reduce the cost of the insurance although I can not tell you what the current rate is.

After checking with the former superintendent of this line, I have learned that the CSX speed limit is 35. I couldn't tell you what the limit is on the FWWR, but long story short, streetcars can cross railroads and they do.

#107846 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by AndyN on 14 December 2017 - 10:33 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

So is the lexan painted to look like windows, or are the real windows visible through the lexan?

Lexan is a brand name of polycarbonate, a transparent plastic material. Not sure why you'd paint it.

#108379 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 18 January 2018 - 11:09 AM in City Issues

The one time that forumers are happy to potentially lump Fort Worth into the umbrella name of Dallas. :laugh:

My personal opinion is that Fort Worth's Panther Island and Dallas' Texas Central Railroad Station are the two leading options of the 35 DFW locations submitted.

#108385 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 18 January 2018 - 05:08 PM in City Issues

My comment was strictly tongue in cheek. I thought the emoticon expressed that.

Here's the FWBP article: http://www.fortworth...879c42e5c5.html

I notice that the Austin proposal is also regional. It sounds like the announcement today was not specific enough to narrow it down to specific sites.

#105837 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 15 September 2017 - 10:43 AM in City Issues

I was under the impression that TRWD only acquired the land they needed for the bypass channel. I don't have time to fact check that information, but at the very least, La Grave field and the surrounding land is privately owned.

Edit: So is Panther Island Brewing at 501 N. Main.  I tried doing a georeference search for other area properties, but TAD's site isn't cooperating.

Edit 2: Scratch that on La Grave.  It is owned by the water district, but I believe the current proposal to field a team there calls for a private land owner to swap nearby land for the field with TRWD.

TRWD is probably the largest owner of property in the P.I. area. Followed by Panther Acquisition Partners, the current owner of LaGrave Field and nearby tracts. One of the larger parcels on the west side is still owned by Union Pacific/St. Louis Southwestern. I'm pretty sure they are willing to sell as they are no longer providing service to that site.

As others have reported, Jim Lane was longtime friends with Carl Bell and made arrangements for TRWD to buy several of Bell's tracts for above market rates when he was going through bankruptcy. But that is a matter for the politics page. The remainder of Bell's tracts including the ballpark went to his creditors who then sold to Panther Acquisitions. 

I'm sure Amazon could put together a sufficient sized tract to build a nice HQ.

#105697 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 12 September 2017 - 01:47 PM in City Issues

Sorry for the double post, but rename asked about TRV funding.  I've gone back and read posts from last year and I'm unclear on where the funding stands. It sounds like it's been approved as part of one bill and appropriated in another omnibus spending bill.  After both bills were approved, there was mention that there was no guarantee the Corps passes up backlogged projects to fund TRV and that the money could disappear in future funding cuts.  My point was that funding still may be in limbo and I was concerned that the funding and construction timeline may not match up with Amazon's wants or needs.  More of a question than a statement.

I don't recall all the mechanics of the arrangement, but PI is full speed ahead regardless of funding. Tarrant Regional Water District has massive financial resources (why do you think the west side gang fought so hard to keep control?) and has been paying the bills for PI in anticipation of being repaid when federal funds and/or TIF money is available. I believe the majority of the delays are over now and we won't see any issues like with the bridge construction. At least I hope not.

As for transportation, the PI folks are actively planning for a transit line. Wouldn't take much to extend it to 9th and Jones Intermodal Station.

I think PI is a great suggestion for Amazon. Housing, office and amazing lifestyle all in a central location. I hope the CofC, the Mayor, and JD Granger get together with a knock it out of the ballpark proposal.

#105970 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 19 September 2017 - 11:15 AM in City Issues

Any proposal Fort Worth sends with Dallas will be seen as a Dallas proposal. Fort Worth would be much better off submitting its own proposal despite Amazon's request for one proposal per metro area.

Fort Worth used to anchor its own metro area, and is by far the largest U.S. city to not anchor its own census-defined metro area.

IMO, Fort Worth ought to be considered its own metro area.

Well apparently Frisco didn't get that memo because they've already produced a video including Jerry Jones touting Frisco. There's your regional effort.

#106260 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 29 September 2017 - 02:54 PM in City Issues

Interesting article in the Dallas Biz Journal and something I had thought of. Put the HQ2 on top of the bullet train station ala Tokyo's Shinjuku Station.

#106269 Amazon in search of 2nd headquarters

Posted by AndyN on 29 September 2017 - 03:46 PM in City Issues

Do it east of the ITC and continue the HSR line onwards from Dallas.

I can't help but wonder if that is impractical due to the fact that the tracks east of the ITC are all operated on by diesel-electric locomotives whereas the eastern sites are (mostly) electric locomotives. Not sure about the logistics of having to provide adequate ventilation.

#108274 Trinity Bluffs

Posted by AndyN on 12 January 2018 - 02:28 PM in Residential

The Rocklyn project has mobilized. The project office is set up across the street on the corner of Gounah and Samuels and a large excavator is sitting on the subject tract. The homes have begun the demolition process.