78 replies to this topic

#51 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

JohnS, the total list I posted includes 2 properties on the east side of Samuels, one south and one east of the TW House. I think there might also be one in the court that is listed. Others in the court have considered listing their properties but are kind of waiting to see what happens to the others first.

In the transitioning situation we have at the moment in the Samuels Avenue/Rock Island neighborhood waiting and seeing what comes next is about all we can do. Logically, the east side of Samuels (away from the west side where the bluff overlooks the Trinity River) is less coveted than the bluff side. however, from from a development perspective, the level, regular lots located there are just as suitable for construction as were those on the east side of the street near Nash Elementary School. Only the downtown views are limited and admittedly the frequent trains can be noisy, (they are on the Bluff side too) but as far as location and nearness to the downtown, they are the same as the west (Bluff) side. I expect that once the Bluff side is fully redeveloped-and I won't even hazard a guess as to how long that might take-then the east side of the street between Samuels Avenue and the BNSF railroad tracks will begin to be bought up for development. As stated in my previous post, it took about 15 years for development to reach northward to the 900 block of Samuels (there was also a Recession during that time) so I wouldn't advise anyone to start packing up their things yet. I had once thought that by now we would have sold and moved on, and it could still happen, but it would be foolish for me to try to guesstimate when. Developers aren't known for sharing their plans with the public until a long planned project is almost ready to break ground. Even then, sudden changes in market conditions and other unforeseen changes can alter the timelines or even lead to a project being shelved indefinitely. The best approach in my opinion is to take a cautious wait and see position which includes not making any plans until a property is under contract with a firm closing date. Some of the properties Embrey Development bought were pending under a sales contract for well over a year. That is quite a different buying/selling approach than is customary in the general housing/residential marketplace. Those property owners contemplating selling should also be wary of anyone calling, making them an up front (usually low) phone offer, as well as promising a very quick closing.  We've had a couple of those already. In any case, Andy, good luck if you decide to sell your properties. Otherwise, its nice to have you as a neighbor.

#52 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

The house is down on the new foundation now and the artificial stone blocks are being installed and look great. I'll try to grab a picture this week.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#53 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

I think the house has been connected to utilities, the foundation has been completed and some paint has been touched up. I believe the house is going to be listed soon and the owner has applied for a zoning change with a historic overlay to prevent future threats to the structure. This picture is from last week before they painted the foundation trim.

talbott%20wall%20house.jpg

talbot%20wall.jpg

#54 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

You can have it for $300k

http://northernrealt..._worth_tx_76102

#55 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

The Talbott-Wall House is now featured on the national old house website Old House Dreams: https://www.oldhouse...-fort-worth-tx/

#56 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

There's a sign for a zoning change request for the Talbott-Wall House posted on the property. Anyone know what that is about? I've always thought it would make for a great Law Office considering that lawyers had come from the family. As Samuels Avenue gradually transitions to predominantly an apartments neighborhood, some hope for the surviving period homes might be found in their adaptive reuse as offices (such as the historic Garvey House now being renovated and adapted as leasing and management offices for the under construction Embrey Development apartments project) ) or, for other commercial uses. The Downtown Design Review guidelines requiring new construction to be at least three stories in height almost precludes new single family private residences. Perhaps individual townhomes would still fit into that category. I expect this neighborhood transition to be gradual and unlikely to accelerate until the TRV-Panther Island project nears completion. On a side note, there's a temporary sign in the yard of the Garvey House indicating the new street just paved to the south of the house is going to be called Garvey Lane. There is already a Garvey Street just off Cold Springs Road across from Arnold Park. The late William Garvey would probably have been pleased to be so honored.

#57 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

You can have it for $300k

http://northernrealt..._worth_tx_76102

Considering that some of the properties located on the opposite side of the street from it are on the market for an asking price of around $45 per square foot, the buyer of this property may have some "instant equity" or at least the potential for value appreciation.

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

John S., I'm not real sure if the Historic and Cultural Landmark designation ever went to the next level, which would be the Zoning Commission.  If it has not been heard by that commission, then I'm betting it is for the zoning change for a Historic and Cultural Overlay.  I know that we had been talking at HFW about changing the base zoning layer on the property, but I don't think anything has happened in that regard. I have been trying to check the city's calendar and database, but the zoning map is down right now.  The Zoning Commission agenda has not been published.

#59 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

I believe it went before ZC last week.

ZC-17-176 Burshears 1102 Samuels D/DUDD to E/DUDD   10/11/17 11/07/17

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

Thanks.  I guess our Board Member, who is legally the property owner, went ahead and had it rezoned for Commercial.  Since we now have a realtor involved, I'm sure they recommended to him that we get the process started.

#61 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

I believe it went before ZC last week.

ZC-17-176 Burshears 1102 Samuels D/DUDD to E/DUDD   10/11/17 11/07/17

Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see what the end use of this historic home is.

#62 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

The Zoning Change was approved by City Council yesterday.  Below is a link to an article in the Fort Worth Business Press.

http://www.fortworth...757e76177d.html

#63 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

Is the correct way to refer to the Samuels Avenue/Pioneer Cemetery  Neighborhood now Trinity Uptown?

I always understood it to be Rock Island.

#64 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

As a resident since 2006, I've noticed that long term residents on the north end of Samuels still call it Rock Island and I think many of them scorn the effort to rebrand the area. I have also heard it called The Point or Live Oak Point due to the numerous trees and the oxbow geography.

As for the Talbott Wall house, I can't help but wonder if a sale is impending. I saw some things that make me think it is getting close. As the property was also rezoned to allow for residential or commericial use, I'd be very curious to see whether it gets restored for a business or a family.

#65 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

As a resident since 2006, I've noticed that long term residents on the north end of Samuels still call it Rock Island and I think many of them scorn the effort to rebrand the area. I have also heard it called The Point or Live Oak Point due to the numerous trees and the oxbow geography....

I am with the long term residents. I like Rock Island.

So I was confused when both Dallas' Legacy Capital and Stone Hawk Capital along with the FWBP announced that new apartments were planned for the Trinity Uptown area.

http://www.fortworth...6713818adf.html

#66 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

As for the Talbott Wall house, I can't help but wonder if a sale is impending. I saw some things that make me think it is getting close. As the property was also rezoned to allow for residential or commericial use, I'd be very curious to see whether it gets restored for a business or a family.

I have heard that there is indeed a sale pending.

--

Kara B.

#67 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Well as someone who grew up in "Rock Island" My parents bought a home in 1960. That we still own. And who had both sets of grandparents and a cousin within three blocks. Rock Island name had and still has a gang banger association. But today when talking with my college grads nephews and nieces. Me and my brothers mockingly say we grew up in the "The Bluffs" Witch was a name a developer used in the area about ten years ago. 

#68 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

I assume the house has sold as the "for sale" sign is gone.

#69 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

Indeed.

#70 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

Yes, the house has sold. Details are available on Historic Fort Worth's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook...nc-68168297593/

#71 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Well as someone who grew up in "Rock Island" My parents bought a home in 1960......Me and my brothers mockingly say we grew up in the "The Bluffs" Witch was a name a developer used in the area about ten years ago. 

The neighborhood could legitimately be coined "Old Town".

#72 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

The Talbott-Wall House is now featured on the national old house website Old House Dreams: https://www.oldhouse...-fort-worth-tx/

One can see in the comments on Old House Dreams website below the house post that Mr. Bailey, the new owner, alluded to a pending sale about two weeks ago. I congratulate the new owners on their excellent choice of properties. Prior to choosing the Talbott-Wall House, the Baileys had looked at a Second Empire style house in Fulton, Mo., and recently a Queen Anne style house in Lebanon KY before deciding to settle here. I wish them many happy years ahead in this beautiful turn of the last century Samuels Avenue home, They will be only the second family to own it since it was built in 1903. One reason the house remained so intact is because it stayed in that one family for 115 years. Not many houses in Fort Worth can make such a claim. We look forward to meeting the Baileys in the days ahead and welcome them to our neighborhood.

#73 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Well as someone who grew up in "Rock Island" My parents bought a home in 1960......Me and my brothers mockingly say we grew up in the "The Bluffs" Witch was a name a developer used in the area about ten years ago. 

The neighborhood could legitimately be coined "Old Town".

With the flood of new apartments under construction or coming in the months ahead, the historical identify of the neighborhood is being diluted. At least its good that some of the more prominent historic homes are being saved and given a chance to survive into the future.

#74 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

The house continues to see improvements with some great landscaping and a new color scheme. It almost looks like it was built on this lot. Kudos to the owner and apologies for taking the photos on a tall grass day.

talbotwall7-19-19.jpg

talbotwall7-19-19-2.jpg

talbotwall7-19-19-3.jpg

#75 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

1102 Samuels Avenue (formerly 915 Samuels before being moved) is back on the market as of May 1st, 2020: https://www.realtor....02_M79008-30151 at $450K.  Much work has been completed on the house since it last sold in 2017. Remaining work inside is largely cosmetic with all systems upgraded and a new roof replaced recently.  It would make for a nice Law office or could still be used as a private residence if allowed by neighborhood zoning regs. The owner has had some health issues in recent months which could be the reason for selling.

#76 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:24 PM

John, thanks for the update.  I was by there on bicycle last Thursday evening.  The house is looking good.  I believe when Historic Fort Worth sold it, the zoning allowed for either a residence or an office.

#77 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:05 PM

For sale again

http://www.loopnet.c...isting/28155032

#78 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:19 PM

LoopNet's information is slightly incorrect. The house is designated as a City of Fort Worth Historic & Cultural Landmark. I know for two reasons: 1.  On the City's Zoning Map, it shows up as the HC Designation; 2.  I wrote the nomination and submitted it to the City on behalf of Historic Fort Worth for the HC Designation.

#79 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 04:29 PM

This thread's just going to remind me to pester the city about platting for that block.  :mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users