#101 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

Additional renderings from BBPTX

Looks like a staircase leading to the waters edge from the top of the bluff (and potentially a dock on the river if the plan view posted above is accurate)

tsjNNH2.jpg

Website%20Image%201_4.jpg

Might be reading too much into this one, but notice the cars on Belknap. It's shown as a 2-way street. Calming Belknap/Weatherford's vehicular traffic would do a lot to help pedestrians working their way north from Sundance into the park.

ogUlce5.jpg

#102 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

tsjNNH2.jpg

Reminds me of The Approach at my alma mater (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY)

10592730_691580037557556_298658931537392

My blog: Doohickie

#103 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

Additional renderings from BBPTX

Might be reading too much into this one, but notice the cars on Belknap. It's shown as a 2-way street. Calming Belknap/Weatherford's vehicular traffic would do a lot to help pedestrians working their way north from Sundance into the park.
ogUlce5.jpg

Yes.... I love it. I agree that the 2 way street will help slow the traffic down. That's a great idea.

#104 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:59 AM

Didn't realize they were planning to make Belknap two ways.

As a pedestrian in downtown areas, I much prefer one way streets. That way, you only have to worry about cross traffic coming from one direction.

-Dylan

#105 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

I wouldn't read too much into this artists rendition depicting two way streets. Given the bridges going up right now to connect Weatherford and Belknap to the new 35W/Toll Road mess, I doubt there is going to be any change to the one way pairing.

#106 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

I hadn't considered the impact of the new highway ramps, but I'm sure the two way traffic could be limited to the stretches west of Elm and east of Henderson.  Not that I have an overwhelming opinion either way on those streets going two way.  Not to make too much of an apple-oranges comparison, but Manhattan is filled with one way streets and it doesn't seem to be hurting walkability.

#107 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

Not to make too much of an apple-oranges comparison, but Manhattan is filled with one way streets and it doesn't seem to be hurting walkability.

Manhattan drivers are also used to pedestrians which isn't the case here. Most drivers here don't even consider if a pedestrian may be crossing at an intersection.
  • JBB likes this

#108 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, that's why I put my apples-oranges qualifier in there.  Does going two-way here really fix that?

#109 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

I don't think it would to be honest... I think flashing pedestrian lights embedded in the street has been the best solution that I have seen here. Dallas has a couple and it really helps to make drivers more conscious about crossing pedestrians.

#110 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

They have a few of those in downtown Grapevine and I'm sure they work, but they are hideous looking.  Very bright at night.  If you drive north on Main St., you can see them from 114.

#111 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Well they are meant to be noticed... they are not aesthetically pleasing but they sure look better than the lights of ambulances at the scene of a pedestrian/auto altercation.

I guess from the opposition on this forum to the solutions being proposed is to just keep things the way they are now on both streets and just put the onus on the pedestrian to take their safety and well-being into their own hands and hope for the best.

IMO people drive way to fast on both streets coming into and out of downtown and I have seen many cars run the red lights making this area feel very unsafe even when I'm in a vehicle. If Heritage Park is to become the meeting place we envision it to become then changes to the vehicular pattern needs to change. If not then I believe many tragedies that could have been avoided will occur.

#112 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:45 AM

If changes in the traffic scheme contribute to greater access to Heritage Park, I am all for it.  And this historic park would be a wonderful tourist attraction if it didn't look so eerily secluded.

#113 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Well they are meant to be noticed... they are not aesthetically pleasing but they sure look better than the lights of ambulances at the scene of a pedestrian/auto altercation.

I won't argue with that. And I would like to clarify, it's not the lights embedded in the pavement that are terribly bright. It's the accompanying street signs that are ringed in flashing lights. It likely wouldn't look near as bad on a more open street like Belknap than it does on a narrow street like Main in Grapevine.

I guess from the opposition on this forum to the solutions being proposed

I'm not opposed to the two-way traffic change, but I'm just not sure it will do much to slow down traffic on the busy cross streets. I think that's a mindset and habit issue that will be hard to break. There's certainly no harm in trying, though.

#114 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

I would propose that the straight Belknap Street ROW in front of the courthouse be abandoned and that the street be rerouted to curve into the middle of what is now Paddock Park where it would meet North Main at 90 degrees. The statue there could be relocated (there may be plans to do this already? TCU, TCC Downtown) and the land freed up on each of the three sides could be used to expand the 1. Courthouse lawn to the north, 2. Heritage Park to the east, and 3. TCC Medical Campus to the west. The awkward split-traffic intersection with North Main would be straightened and simplified, and this would also make room for future possible footings on the bluff for a dedicated streetcar bridge going from Commerce St. downtown to Commerce St. Cat Island.

#115 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

A bit of press for the park

https://archpaper.co...llery-0-slide-0

#116 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Among the changes, the team is moving Main Street

Really?  How/where?

#117 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

Are they going to extend Main St. to Belknap and get rid of the Commerce-Bluff-Houston loop north of Belknap?  That would make sense and would provide the "forecourt" mentioned in the article.

#118 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

That is the current "plan" but there are hurdles to cross before that work is done.  Some of the preservationists who have been involved in Heritage Park Plaza have also expressed concern that we are sacrificing one park for another.  They are referring to Paddock Park, which sits between those loop roads.  I believe that park was a WPA Project.

#119 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Paddock Park is a median.  Does anyone even use it as a park?

#120 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

It has the staircases that are in pretty bad shape.  Didn't it have a statue pointing toward N. Main at one point?  Charles Tandy, maybe?  I have trouble getting bent out of shape losing that space given its current condition.  It's just another sad example of a nice space being neglected for years.  Not all that dissimilar to what happened to Heritage Park.

#121 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

Looking at the satellite view, it looks like the only structure in Paddock Park is an approach to the Courthouse with two sets of steps.  If they wanted to retain those steps (which I assume have WPA heritage), they could split Main on either side of that area (or even leave the northbound side of Main as is and could preserve at least a portion of Paddock Park and keep the WPA structure).

#122 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

JBB, the Charles Tandy sculpture once was located within the park.  JBB & Doohickie, go back and look at the comments at the bottom of the page from Austin's link.  Andy Taft says that rerouting of Main Street was not a done deal, and two other comments were about the WPA and the preservation of the park.

#123 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Yeh I love me some historic preservation and all but if Heritage Park needs to cannibalize an old set of stairs to further improve itself I see no issues there.

#124 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

I'm looking forward to the restoration and reopening of Heritage Park, but I'll admit I'm not very keen on the realignment of North Main as it approaches Belknap. I rather like the way it splits for southbound traffic onto Houston and takes northbound traffic from Commerce without forcing yet additional traffic onto Belknap for what would be in essence a half block jaunt requiring a potential merger across 4 lanes of traffic.

I'd also think the current alignment would make for an easier flow of a downtown to northside (stockyards) streetcar/BRT line. I understand this leaves Paddock Park rather forlorn, but one would think some quality landscaping could be nice. While maybe not a great place for a picnic, it could certainly look good while driving/riding up North Main into downtown.

#125 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

The main reason for making the realignment of North Main was to make Heritage Park Plaza more inviting. The plan was to spend quite a bit of money to restore and rehabilitate the Halprin designed plaza. Sine it was secluded and not often used in the past, DFWI and others felt something had to be done to encourage interest and activity. I can see pros and cons for either solution.

#126 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Removal of the courthouse addition and proximity to TCC could play parts in making the plaza more attractive and visited.

#127 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

I agree with you, Austin.

#128 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

A new image has shown up on DFWI's website with an interesting arrangement, leaving the Commerce curve but ditching the Houston curve. I think, from a traffic view, this will allow easier flow with Commerce acting as a de facto Main St (connecting directly from S Main to N Main, which I would assume the remainder of Commerce would be made 2 way. This arrangment also allows the full preservation of Paddock Park. I'm excited about this possibility. 

heritage-park-425x500.png

https://www.dfwi.org/go/hp

#129 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

Commerce is already two-way south of 2nd Street, so this would just extend that another couple blocks to the north.

#130 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

A new image has shown up on DFWI's website with an interesting arrangement, leaving the Commerce curve but ditching the Houston curve. I think, from a traffic view, this will allow easier flow with Commerce acting as a de facto Main St (connecting directly from S Main to N Main, which I would assume the remainder of Commerce would be made 2 way. This arrangment also allows the full preservation of Paddock Park. I'm excited about this possibility. 

heritage-park-425x500.png

https://www.dfwi.org/go/hp

With Commerce made bidirectional for the entire length of downtown, this could be a nice solution. Have N Main terminate into a T-Intersection at the courthouse always seemed very cumbersome for the North/South flow of traffic.

Maybe, maybe, maybe also extend the bike lanes painted on the southern reaches of Commerce that peter-out after the Convention Center.

#131 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

Maybe, maybe, maybe also extend the bike lanes painted on the southern reaches of Commerce that peter-out after the Convention Center.

Or a fixed rail line all the way from Magnolia to Exchange ;)

#132 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

This is a really interesting concept.  I actually like it.  Austin, the rail line would be wonderful.

#133 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

This is a really interesting concept.  I actually like it.  Austin, the rail line would be wonderful.

I have a concern with this concept -- it directs the energy flowing through Downtown away from the syn-energy of Downtown.  I like busy streets in Downtown; they are invigorating.

Commerce Street in its current status is not as interesting as Houston Street which, to me, really has a pedestrian appeal that is second only to Main Street.  I love sitting along Houston Street and watching the constant flow of cars, busses and carriages. 

Hopefully, Commerce Street will take its place along side Main and Houston Streets with the promise of new retail and housing, but for now, much of Commerce Street is low energy.

#134 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

A catalyst for projects to up the energy of the street might be the total conversion of it to a two-way street.

#135 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

This is better than the other proposal of having Main Street end at Belknap. That said, I'd still rather the current traffic setup remain in place.

I'm all for restoring Heritage Park, but changing traffic patterns for it is a bit much.

-Dylan

#136 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

I like the new layout as well.... I think it makes traffic a little less harrowing near the courthouse... Many people turn east on belknap to get to 121 and that only adds to the separation of the courthouse from downtown... now all we need is for Main Street to be a pedestrian-only Street from the courthouse to 3rd.

#137 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

I like the new plan, and anything that can start addressing the over-dominance of car traffic around the courthouse is a plus.

--

Kara B.

#138 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

A catalyst for projects to up the energy of the street might be the total conversion of it to a two-way street.

Agreed. If Rusk Street, a.k.a Commerce Street can be returned to its historic status as commercial corridor and can be the connector between Near South and Panther Island/Stockyards, then the plan has merit. Any concern for me is that the redirection of traffic away from Houston Street may harm the vibrancy of that corridor by doing so.  Concern aside, Commerce Street is long overdue a remake and has been neglected far too long. 

First on my list is a softening of the streetscape (trees, lightning, flora); the taking down of skybridges. 

Soon, the corridor will be the beneficiary of major institutional projects (Convention Center Expansion, Convention Center Hotel, TAMU Lawyer Center, Transit Center) that will create a very vibrant street.

Viewed in its entirety, and just not as a Court House/Heritage Park Compromise, the corridor is the perfect connector between the Near South - Panther Island/Stockyards.  The Court House/Heritage Park Compromise should not solely be a traffic project but a remaking of an important corridor through Downtown.

And finally, rename Commerce Street to RUSK which is catalyst enough for me.

#139 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Interestingly it looks like the image has been pulled from the website. 

#140 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

There's a chance to see Heritage Park tomorrow  November 3rd - 

https://www.docomomo...a-park-a-garden

#141 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

Seems this thing is ballooning in cost. Back in 2015, they needed 3.4 million. Now the plan is up to 20 million! Honestly, I'd like to just see the park get reopened ASAP, and not worry about any rerouting of roads, staircases to the river, or anything like that. 

The price keeps creeping up. DFWI's site now says $25 million. 

#142 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Seems this thing is ballooning in cost. Back in 2015, they needed 3.4 million. Now the plan is up to 20 million! Honestly, I'd like to just see the park get reopened ASAP, and not worry about any rerouting of roads, staircases to the river, or anything like that. 

The price keeps creeping up. DFWI's site now says $25 million. 

:excl:  :angry2:  :eek: 
from $3.4M to $25M... are the Panther Island folks in charge of this project too? jk

I'd love to see Heritage Park restored and I certainly understand and empathize with its accessibility problems, but something smells really off

#143 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:10 AM

If it is $25 million, then it needs to be bulldozed.  That is outrageous.

#144 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:53 AM

The idea that the city just neglected the park to the point they did and fenced it off to let it sit to rot for more than a decade so that it deteriorated to the point that it will require that kind of money to repair is mindboggling.  I noticed on the DFWI page that their fundraising goal is $25 million without any indication of whether or not that includes the $3+ million already dedicated to the project.  If not, the price is even higher.

#145 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

At $25M+ I would like to see some of it set aside as an endowment to maintain it.

#146 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

If it is $25 million, then it needs to be bulldozed.  That is outrageous.

The big question I have is how much of that amount is going towards actual restoration of the park itself vs. the proposed re purposing of all the land around it. rerouting roads, working in Paddock Park, etc. 

#147 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

If $25 million includes all of ^that^, I can maybe understand why the cost has gone up so much. 

#148 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 05:50 PM

In next week's Precouncil agenda,

. Briefing on Proposed Improvements to Heritage Park – Fernando Costa, City Manager’s

Office, Andy Taft, Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. and Missy Gale, M. Gale & Associates

#149 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:18 PM

I'll be editing this post during the presentation.

Andy Taft says the Park is shovel ready.

Taft says there are several physical barriers to the park. Looking to reunite things.

Curb bulb outs around the courthouse. Easng the curves that lead to Main.

Paddock Park expanded including removing "Bail out" lane.

Needs quite a bit more in funding and they are looking to fundraise for that. $40 Million is pricetag. Hoping city can raise some funds in 2022 bond.

County wants to fund some, TCC is interested, TxDOT owns the roadway so they would help out as well. Plus lots of private donors. 

A pedestrian bridge would be build to Panther Island from the base of the stairs that would be ADA accessible. (since Paddock Viaduct is not)

Construction could begin in summer of fall 2022.

June 2024 is goal set for opening and dedication, the cities 175th birthday. 

azSSWIX.png

cbhhQ4C.png

YlIdbeQ.png

Zu09WDY.jpg?1

#150 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:37 PM

So it went from like a $2 million project to $40million?  I love the plan, especially the area north of the Courthouse, but it seems a bit overblown especially trying to connect it to a Panther Island project that is in dire straits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users