17 replies to this topic

#1 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Historic Buildings, Computers, Autos, Sports, Music

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

What would our intrepid semi-professional and professional photographers recommend for an entry level D-SLR camera? I've been working with a pair of Kodak and Polaroid digital cameras for a few years now, but I want to look into getting a little more serious, without going overkill. Thanks.

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

To tell you the truth, while a lot of folks get a newer Rebel or whatever, my one and only SLR is a trusty old Rebel XT, the original. They can be found cheap online - got mine through Amazon, if I recall correctly. As good as anything else as far as I'm concerned (8 megapixels on an SLR is plenty for pretty much anything).

--

Kara B.

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

I bought a Nikon D-40 in June and I've been pretty happy with it. We got it at Wolf and the salesman recommended it over the Canon cameras since we were basically photography novices. For a little over $600, we got the camera, 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-200), a bag (which was a little big for leisurely travel, but it might be okay for a more serious user), and a digital picture frame. They sold us 3 2-gig memory cards for $20 and those hold around 1000 images each.

I have no patience for reading detailed user manuals and I was able to figure out how to use it with no problems. The autofocus feature on it is pretty slick and the only time I had trouble with it was at night when there was a large crowd around what I was trying to shoot. The battery lasted for 2 and a half days in NYC (a good 14+ hours on the 2 full days). That's probably the heaviest use my camera will ever see. It came with software for saving and editing images, but I typically use Windows for that.

We almost went with the D-60, but we really didn't think the extra image quality was worth the extra money or the wait (completely sold out in the area). My wife was tempted by the D-90 because of the better quality and the fact that you could use the LCD screen as your viewfinder, but the salesman was insistent that you sacrifice all of the speed you gain by using a D-SLR by using that feature.

I posted about 50 or so pics that I took in NYC in a thread in the photo section of the forum. (A few of the shots toward the end of the thread were not taken with the D-40.)

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

I've been doing some research recently, thought I'd made up my mind until someone at work sent me a link on this Pentax.

My choices might be mid range, but if you keep them for a while, might be worth the investment.

Still leaning the Nikon direction due to standard lens threads: http://www.dpreview....o...0d&show=all

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Aug 4 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To tell you the truth, while a lot of folks get a newer Rebel or whatever, my one and only SLR is a trusty old Rebel XT, the original. They can be found cheap online - got mine through Amazon, if I recall correctly. As good as anything else as far as I'm concerned (8 megapixels on an SLR is plenty for pretty much anything).

I agree. Take a look through A/G's pics throughout the Forum. His pics are all 10's. Even if he is the worlds best photographer (And he sure may be) without a very good camera he could not take such good pictures. You could get a great deal on an XT right about now I think. I would consider Craigslist for a used one if you are paying cash. One of the beauty's to buying a used digital camera over the old film cameras is you can try it out before you hand over your cash. (Oh, ya, speaking of cash, don't meet this guy in a dark alley to do your deal)

And let us know what you wind up doing!
www.fortworthview.com

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

Would the primary target of the photographer ever factor into the decision for a DSLR body?

Say for instance storms, lightning, etc... was the primary focus, would you just swap out the lens and a camera body is a camera body, whether it's outside weather or inside people?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#7 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (David Love @ Aug 4 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been doing some research recently, thought I'd made up my mind until someone at work sent me a link on this Pentax.

I know Canon and Nikon are vastly more popular, here in the forum and throughout the world, but I love my Pentax K20D. I've used Pentax since the late 1960s.

The reason I have stuck with Pentax is not just their cameras, as good as they are, but the lenses. I only have four lenses now, no zooms, and the optics are wonderful. Any Pentax DSLR can use any K mount lens, more than 30 years worth of great glass, and there are some lovely ones on ebay and craigslist.

I am sure you'll be happy with whatever you get, but that Pentax K20D is an awesome camera.

#8 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
JBB - I remember the thread from your NYC trip, in fact I think I went back over that one last week.
monee9696 - I agree with you that AG has given us some truly great pictures over the years, but you too deserve some recognition for your shots.

I've been leaning towards the Canon's mainly due to their wide spread use, which for a novice like me allows for more references for learning to maximize what assets I have. I'm looking at having a descent overall unit, as my subject matter could potential vary quite a bit, but I really enjoy catching those random shots that we've all come across and though, "Wow, that would make a good picture". I've got some of my more favorite pictures up on flickr as an example of what I'm mainly looking at. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Flickr Photostream

Storm

#9 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Photography, American History

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

I feel I should throw in my 2 cents. Do not overlook the Sony Alpha cameras. They have a variety of lenses ranging from standard to Carl Zeiss and G series. You can also use Minolta lenses since Sony took over the Minolta camera brand. I use a Sony A100 and have been very happy with it. I have not used another brand other than Minolta/Sony, so I can not say it is better than the others. However, it may be more in your price range and you still get similar features offered by the competition.

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Stormrunner77 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JBB - I remember the thread from your NYC trip, in fact I think I went back over that one last week.
monee9696 - I agree with you that AG has given us some truly great pictures over the years, but you too deserve some recognition for your shots.

Flickr Photostream

Storm

Thank you. I actually did get a small amount of recognition on Sunday in the Fort Worth Star Telegram. I took 6th place in a photo contest! (Sunday 8-2-09, section E) I am standing by for my IRS form 1099misc for $0.00 laugh.gif

You do have a lot of nice shots on your flickr account. (Just took a look) You are doing enough nice shots to fall in love with an SLR. Believe me.
www.fortworthview.com

#11 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Aug 5 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Stormrunner77 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Flickr Photostream

Storm

Thank you. I actually did get a small amount of recognition on Sunday in the Fort Worth Star Telegram. I took 6th place in a photo contest! (Sunday 8-2-09, section E) I am standing by for my IRS form 1099misc for $0.00 laugh.gif

You do have a lot of nice shots on your flickr account. (Just took a look) You are doing enough nice shots to fall in love with an SLR. Believe me.

Thanks monee, since moving back last June I haven't really had a chance to do much snap-shotting around town. But with everything I had sitting on my hard drive from my time in St Augustine, FL; I figured I should through some stuff online. I was surprised when someone with the schmap.com website contacted me about using one of my photos for their city guide for Jacksonville. My favorite picture is the one of the guy with the guitar, I thought the colors turned out descent for it being such a sunny day. (Other than resizing the images there was no touch-ups done in photoshop).

#12 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ Aug 5 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there somewhere we can see this picture for those of us afraid to get our fingers black?

#13 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (longhornz32 @ Aug 5 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there somewhere we can see this picture for those of us afraid to get our fingers black?

LOL, that's exactly the reason I give my wife for not reading the paper, although I dig out the NYT crossword each morning.

Here's the article. Monee's is #6, on the second page, an excellent shot of downtown from the Main Street bridge.

10 Most Inspiring Places

#14 NThomas

NThomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 5 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel I should throw in my 2 cents. Do not overlook the Sony Alpha cameras. They have a variety of lenses ranging from standard to Carl Zeiss and G series. You can also use Minolta lenses since Sony took over the Minolta camera brand. I use a Sony A100 and have been very happy with it. I have not used another brand other than Minolta/Sony, so I can not say it is better than the others. However, it may be more in your price range and you still get similar features offered by the competition.

Same equipment I use. Surprisingly Sony was very cheap for entry level. The only problem with the a100 and the newer a200 is at ISO 400 some noise starts to appear. So unless your planning to print anything over 12x16, make sure it has a low ISO.

#15 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (UncaMikey @ Aug 5 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (longhornz32 @ Aug 5 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, that's exactly the reason I give my wife for not reading the paper, although I dig out the NYT crossword each morning.

Here's the article. Monee's is #6, on the second page, an excellent shot of downtown from the Main Street bridge.

10 Most Inspiring Places

Thank you Mikey!

I have a hard time finding my Star Telegram Pic on line. Here it is. My wife and I were walking home from the Stockyards in November. Was late sunset (Like 6:15 in November) I posted this shot before, maybe in a slide show. I do love this bridge. I do wish scumbags did not break beer bottles on it with great regularity...

My Sixth place picture.

www.fortworthview.com

#16 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

When you narrow your choices you may want to stop by a book store, discovered today that they have a HUGE selection of books dedicated to the most popular camera options.

#17 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

I would strongly recommend checking out the Canon Digital Photography Forum:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

#18 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions David & Papaw. I was already thinking about hitting up the book dealers for some print advice. I hadn't really even started on my web research yet, but I will certainly be taking a look at that site though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users