#1 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

Several local news stations mentioned the downtown Mexican Inn would be closing, vaguely mentioning that a developer bought it. My question is...what do they plan to do with the property? Isn't the Clarion (soon-to-be Hotel Indigo) due north of the MI? Could the Mexican Inn property somehow be tied into the renovation?

Anyone have more info? I bet the Star-Telegram will put out a longer story tomorrow, but here's the link to the story they have on the site right now:

http://www.dfw.com/m...ss/13225886.htm

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Nov 22 2005, 01:03 AM) View Post

Several local news stations mentioned the downtown Mexican Inn would be closing, vaguely mentioning that a developer bought it. My question is...what do they plan to do with the property? Isn't the Clarion (soon-to-be Hotel Indigo) due north of the MI? Could the Mexican Inn property somehow be tied into the renovation?

Without looking I could swear that the Mexican Inn is to the north of the Clarion / Indigo.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:34 AM

The Mexican Inn is directly across the street to the north of the Clarion/Indigo. The long article in the printed version of the Star-Telegram stated the building was purchased by a nearby oil company. I'm guessing the oil company was Wagner Oil. They own the old GAINSCO Building next door. That building is currently named, 500 Commerce Street. My guess is that they will demolish the Mexican Inn and build an addition to their building at that location.

The Mexican Inn is in the old Fort Worth Record Building, which was built in the late 1800's as a three story building. Mexican Inn was a ground floor tenant since 1936. The structure burned at least twice in its history. The first major fire was in the late 1950's or early 1960's when the building was nearly leveled. It was rebuilt at that time as a one story building, using the same window openings of the original building. In 1987, another major fire almost totally destroyed what was left of the original structure. It was rebuilt again, looking as it does now.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:12 AM

I've always wondered how they could afford to keep that location open when it only served lunch.

#5 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Nov 21 2005, 11:25 PM) View Post

Without looking I could swear that the Mexican Inn is to the north of the Clarion / Indigo.

Ah, of course, sorry about that. I mistook the GAINSCO building for the Clarion.

I hope whatever Wagner decides to build has ground floor retail...

#6 fwfrog

fwfrog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Nov 22 2005, 09:12 AM) View Post

I've always wondered how they could afford to keep that location open when it only served lunch.

No kidding. Would love to have another Mexican Inn location downtown somewhere. And while we're on the topic, could we get a Spring Creek BBQ in Ft. Worth (Spring Creek owns Mexican Inn).

There's a cruddy Spring Creek in an old Pancho's building on Camp Bowie West... and there's one in Burleson... but wouldn't that be nice to have closer to town? I mean, I love Railhead and Angelo's... but there's no beating those hot, fresh rolls!

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:46 AM

I'm guessing the oil company was Wagner Oil. They own the old GAINSCO Building next door. That building is currently named, 500 Commerce Street. My guess is that they will demolish the Mexican Inn

Funny. That was the same story I got from a friend who called the writer. dry.gif

The one place survived only due to the numerous other MI's Mr. C owned. People I know who live and work in downtown have either tried it and hated it, or have never tried it because of the hours. wacko.gif

For me, MI was SIMPLE at BEST.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#8 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(fwfrog @ Nov 22 2005, 01:07 PM) View Post

No kidding. Would love to have another Mexican Inn location downtown somewhere. And while we're on the topic, could we get a Spring Creek BBQ in Ft. Worth (Spring Creek owns Mexican Inn).

There's a cruddy Spring Creek in an old Pancho's building on Camp Bowie West... and there's one in Burleson... but wouldn't that be nice to have closer to town? I mean, I love Railhead and Angelo's... but there's no beating those hot, fresh rolls!

They own a G-R-E-A-T place in north FW near the 820 @ 35W (Fossil Creek) area called Shady Oaks BBQ. It is awesome. I think there is a second location in Plano too. It is hidden along the Chili's, Posados, On the border area... cheeburga.gif

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:06 AM

S-T had it wrong -- the Mexican Inn is in the old Fort Worth Record bldg, not The Press ( 500 Jones).

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

OK,I had it wrong too -- The Press Building is 501 Jones.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

Here's a brief history of the building as found from the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. In 1885, the building had not been constructed. It was there in 1889 with the Fort Worth Gazette as the tenant. In 1898, the paper was called the Fort Worth Morning Register, and on the 1911 Fire Insurance Maps, it had changed to the Fort Worth Record. In the 1951 edition, the Mexican Inn restaurant is noted on the ground floor.

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Nov 23 2005, 07:00 AM) View Post

QUOTE(fwfrog @ Nov 22 2005, 01:07 PM) View Post

They own a G-R-E-A-T place in north FW near the 820 @ 35W (Fossil Creek) area called Shady Oaks BBQ. It is awesome. I think there is a second location in Plano too. It is hidden along the Chili's, Posados, On the border area... cheeburga.gif

SHADY OAKS is FANTASTIC! I have only been once, but it did the trick. Just might stop on over there before driving down to SA.

Have a SAFE and HAPPY TURKEY DAY Forumers! smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#13 lens314

lens314

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Cars, Computers, LEGO

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Nov 23 2005, 10:33 AM) View Post

SHADY OAKS is FANTASTIC! I have only been once, but it did the trick. Just might stop on over there before driving down to SA.

Hi, I am Doug, I am new to posting on the forum, but have been lurking for awhile. I am also a very amatuer photographer, so some of the pictures here intrest me. I have been living in FW for 5 years now, originally from South Florida.

Just had to chime in on this post.

Ill have to 3rd the suggestion that Shady Oaks(35&820) is great. Plus I live practically next door to it.
I have also seen a Shady Oak setup on I-30 right near the The Ballpark at Arlington(dont like the new name). It was built within the last 2-3 years though. Have not eaten at that location, or the Plano location though.

There is another Spring Creek just west of LMAero on Clifford, pretty sure its in the White Settlements city limits though.
-Doug

#14 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(lens314 @ Nov 23 2005, 11:48 AM) View Post

QUOTE(safly @ Nov 23 2005, 10:33 AM) View Post

Hi, I am Doug, I am new to posting on the forum, but have been lurking for awhile. I am also a very amatuer photographer, so some of the pictures here intrest me. I have been living in FW for 5 years now, originally from South Florida.

Just had to chime in on this post.

Ill have to 3rd the suggestion that Shady Oaks(35&820) is great. Plus I live practically next door to it.
I have also seen a Shady Oak setup on I-30 right near the The Ballpark at Arlington(dont like the new name). It was built within the last 2-3 years though. Have not eaten at that location, or the Plano location though.

There is another Spring Creek just west of LMAero on Clifford, pretty sure its in the White Settlements city limits though.

Huh blink.gif...I thought it was just some generic joint. I live 5 minutes away in NW Funktown.

Thanks for the tip.

#15 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

I am also a very amatuer photographer

And speller. biggrin.gif

a-m-a-t-E-U-r.
www.iheartfw.com

#16 KevCoz

KevCoz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

Welcome to the forum, lens314. Just ignore safly's comment regarding your misspelled word. His posts are full of misspelled words and poor use of the English language.

#17 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

I don't think a comment should be ignored when it's correct. Especially when it comes from someone who is apparently so challenged!

#18 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:23 AM

I'm assuming that the reference to the Press Building was the location of the old FTW Press newspaper. Is that correct? I seem to remember the FTW Press was in a bulidng that was sort of long and low, and had a series of windows along its front. It also had numerous trees close to the building itself. Sometime in the '60's I stopped by there to submit an ad for some stuff I was selling. Now that I think of it, it might have been the old FTW Shopper, not the Press. Anyway, I remember this long low building, and it seems like it was in the general vicity of 501 Jones Street.

Anybody know what building I'm referring to?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bill

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:27 AM

Bill, the only Fort Worth Press building I remember was the two story, almost full block long building that was addressed at 501 Jones. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram corrected the article today and did say that the Fort Worth Record occpied the building at 5th and Commerce where the Mexican Inn is now located.

#20 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

John, that's probably the building I'm referring to. It was in fact very long, so your block-long description is probably accurate with regard to what I remember.

Thanks for the additional info.

Bill

#21 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:38 PM

501 Jones was the Press.

But where was the Shopper? I'm thinking South Main...

#22 lens314

lens314

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Cars, Computers, LEGO

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

My bad, the BBQ place on Clifford west of LMAero is a Soda Springs BBQ. I always get the 2 confused. Similar names always does it for me. And yea, I dont claim to be the best spellar! I could not find a spell checker embedded into this forum like I have seen other places.
-Doug

#23 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Nov 22 2005, 12:43 PM) View Post

I hope whatever Wagner decides to build has ground floor retail...

I'm not sure it's a great corner for retail. It faces a blank wall of Bass Hall, the ever lovely Clarion Hotel, and is across the corner from a parking garage. There's really nothing facing 5th street once you get past Mikado and the PH (except for the two hotels). It just doesn't seem like a great pedestrian spot. As the Mexican Inn it always seemed a little isolated. You have to walk by the smelly Chili's alley to get to it from the West.

#24 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

I'm not sure it's a great corner for retail. It faces a blank wall of Bass Hall, the ever lovely Clarion Hotel

Actually, The Clarion is gone and soon to be replaced by the very cool Hotel Indigo.

http://www.ichotelsg.../d/in/1/en/home cool.gif

#25 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

The Mexican Inn next door was torn down? I know it closed but why did they tear it down? Does this have to do with the hotel? I think I saw it there Saturday? But Sunday night I saw a giant crane on top of the rubble and had chomped it down! cry.gif

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Aug 14 2006, 11:17 AM) View Post

The Mexican Inn next door was torn down? I know it closed but why did they tear it down? Does this have to do with the hotel? I think I saw it there Saturday? But Sunday night I saw a giant crane on top of the rubble and had chomped it down! cry.gif

Not the only tear down over the weekend..The Freeman's Hotel, 100 East block of Belknap St.. is a pile of rubble too...what is going on here with our historic builidngs? cry.gif cry.gif

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#27 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(renamerusk @ Aug 14 2006, 02:23 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Aug 14 2006, 11:17 AM) View Post

Not the only tear down over the weekend..The Freeman's Hotel, 100 East block of Belknap St.. is a pile of rubble too...what is going on here with our historic builidngs? cry.gif cry.gif

Keep Fort Worth folksy

Has Fort Worth lost its mind? mad.gif

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Keep Fort Worth folksy

Rename, this is what I have been harping about for years on this forum. Both buildings had no designation whatsoever! They weren't even Demolition Delay, which would have held the demolition for 180 days. Also, I have a correction here, the hotel on Belknap was called "Workman's Hotel". It was one of the few cast iron structures left in downtown. I knew it was coming down soon due to the bulldozer sitting next to it and the construction fence surrounding the building on Thursday. I didn't realize the Mexican Inn was coming down so soon, although I thought that would be the fate since Wagner Oil next door purchased the property and the restaurant closed down.

The building adjacent to the Workman's Hotel was also historic, but it had its facade stuccoed over back in the 1960's. I don't know if the original facade was still left behind it or not. It probably was still there (they usually are). These buildings were demolished for the new TCC Campus.

As for the Mexican Inn, one could argue whether it was a historic building worth saving. There is a thread on the building at: http://www.fortworth...wtopic=1168&hl=

Here is what I said then:
QUOTE(John T Roberts)
The Mexican Inn is in the old Fort Worth Record Building, which was built in the late 1800's as a three story building. Mexican Inn was a ground floor tenant since 1936. The structure burned at least twice in its history. The first major fire was in the late 1950's or early 1960's when the building was nearly leveled. It was rebuilt at that time as a one story building, using the same window openings of the original building. In 1987, another major fire almost totally destroyed what was left of the original structure. It was rebuilt again, looking as it does now.

There wasn't much left of the original structure, so I don't know if it would have ever qualified for designation as historic under the City of Fort Worth criteria for the building. The history of Mexican Inn and its founder might have made the cut from a history standpoint.

Finally, you asked what is going on. Here are the facts. Development pressures are sending our non-protected historic buildings into the dumpster. The economics that saved most of our older buildings in the city has changed and now there is more need to build new structures and tear down the old ones. You will probably ask what can be done? All of us interested in preserving more of our past must urge our City Council to put more protection on our historic resources.

#29 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Aug 14 2006, 05:38 PM) View Post

Keep Fort Worth folksy

Rename, this is what I have been harping about for years on this forum. Both buildings had no designation whatsoever! They weren't even Demolition Delay, which would have held the demolition for 180 days. Also, I have a correction here, the hotel on Belknap was called "Workman's Hotel". It was one of the few cast iron structures left in downtown. I knew it was coming down soon due to the bulldozer sitting next to it and the construction fence surrounding the building on Thursday. I didn't realize the Mexican Inn was coming down so soon, although I thought that would be the fate since Wagner Oil next door purchased the property and the restaurant closed down.

The building adjacent to the Workman's Hotel was also historic, but it had its facade stuccoed over back in the 1960's. I don't know if the original facade was still left behind it or not. It probably was still there (they usually are). These buildings were demolished for the new TCC Campus.

Are these the same blocks north of Belknap that I mentioned in another thread?

"The three blocks north of Belknap: Pecan to Grove….Grove to Jones…..and Jones to Calhoun will be surface parking lots (approx 300 spaces total) for TCC directly east of the campus. Belknap’s roadway between Calhoun and Commerce will be redeveloped as a bridge passing over two of the TCC buildings and the pedestrian bridge. Bluff St west of Jones will dead-end into a future loading dock for Bldg 8."

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

The block where the Workman's Hotel was demolished is bounded by Bluff, Calhoun, Belknap, and Commerce, so it looks as if one of the TCC buildings will be on this site.

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE(Nitixope @ Aug 14 2006, 05:55 PM) View Post

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Aug 14 2006, 05:38 PM) View Post

Keep Fort Worth folksy

Are these the same blocks north of Belknap that I mentioned in another thread?

"The three blocks north of Belknap: Pecan to Grove….Grove to Jones…..and Jones to Calhoun will be surface parking lots (approx 300 spaces total) for TCC directly east of the campus. Belknap’s roadway between Calhoun and Commerce will be redeveloped as a bridge passing over two of the TCC buildings and the pedestrian bridge. Bluff St west of Jones will dead-end into a future loading dock for Bldg 8."

Thanks for correction John..I really thought the Workman's Hotel would have made a nice downtown micro hotel; like the Texas Hotel in the Stockyards. My concerns about a downtown TCC campus are not being allayed in light of the downing of the two TXU Smokestacks and now the Workman's Hotel. shakehead.gif

#32 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Aug 14 2006, 06:49 PM) View Post

The block where the Workman's Hotel was demolished is bounded by Bluff, Calhoun, Belknap, and Commerce, so it looks as if one of the TCC buildings will be on this site.

I did't want to mention the smokestack's . I think we know what our position is with most forum members are one way or another. So what do we do now to save what is left?

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

I found out about this last night, but had to sit on the information until it was released. Wagner Oil cleared the building on Saturday and they plan to construct a 7 story office building on the site.

This is from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
http://www.dfw.com/m...ss/15289269.htm

#34 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

sounds promising!

#35 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:56 PM

I like the description!

#36 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

Golly the body is not even cold. Already found a new wife and married? I guess not many cared about the tiny building. shakehead.gif

#37 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Aug 17 2006, 11:16 AM) View Post

Golly the body is not even cold. Already found a new wife and married? I guess not many cared about the tiny building. shakehead.gif

I think we should be crying more for the buildings east of the courthouse that are being demolished as we speak.

#38 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Aug 17 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Aug 17 2006, 11:16 AM) View Post

I think we should be crying more for the buildings east of the courthouse that are being demolished as we speak.

True . Maybe we ought to protest and chain ourself to a tree at the Omni ceremony location on monday to save what is left of Cowtown.

#39 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

Right. Surely that parking lot has some historical value.

#40 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Aug 17 2006, 01:43 PM) View Post

Right. Surely that parking lot has some historical value.

Said in jest JBB........... Monday......... Big Ceremony........... 38 Story Tower.......Mayor....... Big Wigs.........Not for parking lot itself. Gezzzzz.......... dry.gif

#41 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Aug 17 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post

It seems like those buildings aren't / weren't in great condition. Are there other remaining buildings in downtown representing the same period and style?

My view or opinion is that we need to preserve some good examples of the architecture of the period. The only reason to preserve bad examples is if they are the only examples left. Some of the remaining structures don't look like great examples of anything other than how not to remodel old buildings.

That said, if John says there are no other buildings from that period and style left standing (what happened over the weekend is already in the past, let's look forward), I'm all for saving them.

Along those lines, I always wonder about the future of the houses between Belknap and Weatherford. There are only a few of them. They're nothing too special, but not too run down either. Any historic significance?

Also, thrilled about the repolacement for Mexican Inn. The two building mentioned in the article are two of my favorites in all of downtown (Flying Saucer and K of P Hall).

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

I am sad to see the loss of the Mexican Inn. It was a downtown institution; however, the building was not landmarked. It has been deemed, either by its owners or by the city, as not being one of our important historic structures. Preservationists should not try to save every building. Only the historic or architecturally significant structures should be fought for. Was the Mexican Inn worthy of fighting. I don't think the preservationists would win on the architectural standpoint. If you look at one of my earlier posts in this thread, you would discover that the building was an late 1800's Victorian that had burned at least twice. Each time, less of the original building was retained. The original building was three stories with an angled corner on the ground floor and a turret on the upper floors. There was so little left of the original building that you might not know that part of it remained. There were a few clues on the lower level windows and the angled corner. That was about all that was left. I do think that the building could have been landmarked for cultural reasons. if you want to see what the building looked like in 1920, follow this link and look at the white building sitting between the Burk Burnett Building and the Courthouse. It is located just below Stripling's. Mexican Inn's original location played a part in local history. Until late last year, the restaurant owner's family still owned the building. Tiffin Hall the founder, was a noted gambler and held many games on what was once the second floor of that three story building at 5th and Commerce.

Prairie Pup said that we should be crying more about the buildings east of the Courthouse. I agree. This whole area is endangered and there is nothing left of the original Courthouse Square except for the facade altered Texas de Brazil, Joe Daiches Jewelers, the facade altered lawyer's building at Commerce and Belknap. The Workman's Hotel next door to Commerce and Belknap was demolished over the weekend and that lawyer's building is next. This leaves the Joe Daiches building as the only Courthouse Square Hotel remaining. Now in Denton probably will ask why the preservationists didn't fight this one. There were two reasons. It was already common knowledge the buildings were going to be taken for the TCC Campus and the second is that the building had no designation. With the smokestacks, the preservationists found out that without the 180 day Demolition Delay designation, the owners speed things up to keep opposition down.

The handful of homes that remain on Belknap and Weatherford could be designated as historic structures. Many of them have been altered, but they are mostly intact and in relatively good condition. There are development pressures in that part of downtown, so some consideration should be given toward saving the homes that are worthy.

#43 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Aug 16 2006, 07:16 PM) View Post

I found out about this last night, but had to sit on the information until it was released. Wagner Oil cleared the building on Saturday and they plan to construct a 7 story office building on the site.

This is from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
http://www.dfw.com/m...ss/15289269.htm

This is another instance of a spatially challenged development, as is the Carnegie Tower, which together enhances my assumption that XTO can develop something with similar challenges in the remain space of the W.T. Waggoner block. Until these recent announcements were made, I was under the incorrect assumption that new development would require an entire block at minimum. Well, these annoucements gives me greater hope that the development of XTO's square will have enough space to include both a new park and a future tower.

Keep Fort Worth folksy!

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

The Carnegie on its smaller block has an advantage over XTO in that they are planning to tie into the existing parking structure for The Tower. XTO could build on a small plot, but they still have to find a place for the occupants to park.

#45 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Aug 18 2006, 09:13 AM) View Post

The Carnegie on its smaller block has an advantage over XTO in that they are planning to tie into the existing parking structure for The Tower. XTO could build on a small plot, but they still have to find a place for the occupants to park.

How about a sky bridge over to their parking garage?

Just kidding.
rotflmao.gif
I hate those things.

#46 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Aug 18 2006, 09:13 AM) View Post

The park could sit atop an underground executive parking structure/plaza with tunnelling to the two existing garages that are already owned by XTO.

Keep Fort Worth folksy!

#47 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

As the Fort Worth Record newspaper, that building was where Ginger Rogers' mom wrote movie reviews.

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Rename, I also believe that Wagner Oil is taking advantage of the parking within the building they own next door to build this one. The old garage conversion into office space still left quite a few extra parking spaces. Also, your assumption was not necessarily incorrect. The new Wagner Oil and Carnegie buildings are both relatively small; therefore, parking requirements are less than a very large office building would require. When you have a full block to build on, the buildings tend to get taller and larger, and as they grow in height, they become more inefficient.

#49 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Aug 17 2006, 06:23 PM) View Post

Now in Denton probably will ask why the preservationists didn't fight this one. There were two reasons. It was already common knowledge the buildings were going to be taken for the TCC Campus and the second is that the building had no designation. With the smokestacks, the preservationists found out that without the 180 day Demolition Delay designation, the owners speed things up to keep opposition down.

Your right Mr. Roberts . I have come somwhat over to your side about the smokestacks. I still don't miss them however. But I do get made when developers ram thier way to get thier way. They need to follow our rules. But lets remember Bass even saved the old Fire house. Next to thier towers.Historic Buildings can be saved !

#50 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

Well I think just about anyone would have saved the VERY FIRST Firehouse in FW! Would'nt you. So I guess we can give them a cookie here.
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users