#1 Mrbocbox

Mrbocbox

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:00 PM

Hi,
I'm new to the area and would love to live in downtown but, are they going to build the new convention hotel or not? I'm looking at the T&P station and I would want the area to improve before I made a commitment.

Thanks

Matt

#2 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

I just read something in the FW Business Press that Omni Corp. is preparing a presentation for the city after reviewing all the documents and such. As far as most people here know, it's going to be built. Whether it's built by the promised date of 2006 remains to be seen.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:16 PM

Welcome to the forum, Matt. I'm sure that the hotel will proceed forward. Since this is a project where the City of Fort Worth is involved, check the agendas for the Pre-Council and regular City Council Meetings. If the hotel is on the agenda, then it will be discussed and you can either go down and watch the proceedings, or watch it live on Fort Worth's City Cable station. They also replay these meetings if you can't make it to the meeting at City Hall.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

...lobby space of the rumored hotel makeover of Sinclair?

Can you shed more light on this rumor?

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

You'll have to ask John R. He brought it up at the forum meet. I'm sure he'll be by shortly to explain. We had been talking about how there wasn't much room for a lobby should a conversion happen, and that the subway could perhaps be removed to make room. 

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Well, I'm in a dilemma.  Some people have said this is no secret, while others have said to say nothing.

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:44 AM

Well, I'm in a dilemma.  Some people have said this is no secret, while others have said to say nothing.

You may tell your friends on here; we won't talk. :smwink:

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hotel planned on former Frank Kent Cadillac site in downtown -

http://www.star-tele...ac-property.htm

http://www.ushotelap...service-hotels/

#9 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

So if I had to guess, I'd say... 3-4 story Courtyard by Marriott. Trying not to get my hopes up that there will be all that much about the development that will be architecturally exciting, but it is nice to add some more beds to downtown and, particularly, to get a little development activity going in that part of downtown (i.e. the far southeast portion).

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

So if I had to guess, I'd say... 3-4 story Courtyard by Marriott. Trying not to get my hoes up that there will be all that much about the development that will be architecturally exciting, but it is nice to add some more beds to downtown and, particularly, to get a little development activity going in that part of downtown (i.e. the far southeast portion).

I am definitely thinking a bit taller because the site is cramped. 

Probably 2-3 levels of parking above the main lobby with a deck and the lodging above parking.

Lets hope that it will be influenced architecturally by nearby buildings.

#11 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

I would think the layout of vehicular traffic in that area would make ingress/egress to that hotel a problem. I hope some innovative plan can be devised to help people get into and out of that location.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

I would think the layout of vehicular traffic in that area would make engross/egress to that hotel a problem. I hope some innovative plan can be devised to help people get into and out of that location.

I agree.  This appears to be a particularly challenging tract of land for development and I'm surmising that the developer already has its design team working on this and other problems; which leads me to think that it portends for an interesting design that will require combining functionality with a nod to its historical surroundings. 

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Definitely seems like you could segregate parking into a buffer zone between the railroad tracks and the street.

120 rooms sounds like it would be at least 4 storeys. I feel like 5-10 would be perfect. There's no sense in contributing to the skyline from that lot. Just something simple. 

This lot strikes me as a very important one. It's sort off the cornerstone of Lancaster and the Jones/Calhoun "empty quarter", as well as the immediate gateway of the East Lancaster area and the South Side down Main. 

#14 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

I would think the layout of vehicular traffic in that area would make engross/egress to that hotel a problem. I hope some innovative plan can be devised to help people get into and out of that location.

I agree.  This appears to be a particularly challenging tract of land for development and I'm surmising that the developer already has its design team working on this and other problems; which leads me to think that it portends for an interesting design that will require combining functionality with a nod to its historical surroundings. 

Or the developer could be forced to pay more for the site planning and therefore cut back on any aesthetic "frivolities."

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

I agree.  This appears to be a particularly challenging tract of land for development  which leads me to think that it portends for an interesting design that will require combining functionality with a nod to its historical surroundings. 

Or the developer could be forced to pay more for the site planning and therefore cut back on any aesthetic "frivolities."

I assume that one would not choose a location as the one along this carefully watched and planned segment of Lancaster Avenue if one did not already consider the potentially strong head winds and howls against something that would not fit into the street scape here.  It would make more sense to choose a different location if one wanted to avoid controversy.

But I may be assuming too much.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

The deal for the hotel at Main and Lancaster has fallen through.  The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has this report:

http://www.star-tele...uth-end-of.html

#17 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Probably not such a bad thing.  The spot would have been a far walk to the convention center, relatively speaking, and there really isn't a lot of stuff nearby.  It is cut off by Lancaster and Main Street and you would have had people from the Lancaster shelters walking through the hotel parking lot and urinating in the tunnel that goes under the tracks right next door.  Any news on the proposed hotel at Commerce and 9th?  And, I would think that any lot between Jones and Calhoun to the East of the convention center would be a better spot for a hotel than the old Frank Kent lot.

#18 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

The deal for the hotel at Main and Lancaster has fallen through.  The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has this report:

http://www.star-tele...uth-end-of.html

That's a much better spot for a park or monument type of place. 

PLENTY of open surface lots on the east and south side that are better. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#19 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Going to have to disagree - there's already a park across the street.  Lancaster doesn't need another at that end - that lot should be developed with something high quality to help activate the street and the existing parking.

--

Kara B.

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

So excited in the Year of The Monkey to read about all of the new hotel projects in the pipeline nearing "go"; places like Magnolia, Stockyards, Cultural (2), Chisholm Trail, Downtown(3), Rosedale Corridor.

Its bananas!  :swg:

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

Several in downtown proposed right now, though there are several we don't know much about.  

T&P Hotel (???) Marriot AC (180) Sinclair conversion (165) Hampton (245) Sundance (~150) Omni Expansion (~400) Convention Center hotel (~1,000)

#22 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

And possibly one in City Place (southern tower) - cant recall the number.

Some of those might not happen or might take 5-10 years to come to fruition. 

I'm not an expert, but I feel as though Fort Worth's Downtown and Cultural District could support every one of these - particularly if they are done well. 

IMO, right now, Fort Worth needs 1-2 high quality, full service, INTERESTING, DISTINCTIVE hotels Downtown.  and 1-2 in the Cultural District. 

The Omni, Worthington, and Hilton are fine but really aren't very appropriate for leisure travelers. 

I cannot believe the Cultural District doesn't yet have a high quality, boutique or smallish hotel with say 100-150 rooms catering to museum visitors, Will Rogers, and people looking to stay near the West Side neighborhoods.  

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Well the Bisnow article mentions several new hotel proposals. 

-Aloft conversion for Cityplace Tower South (Thread)

-AC Marriott @5th & Main (Thread)

-Residence Inn at Houston & 8th (Thread)

-Autograph by Marriott Sinclair Conversion (Thread)

-Canopy by Hilton "Near the convention center"
-Full Service Hilton in the "downtown area"

Not mentioned here are 

-Hampton at 9th and Commerce (Thread)

-Sundance Boutique Hotel (Thread)
-
Omni Expansion (Thread)
-And possibly a hotel proposal for T&P warehouse (Thread)

-Fairfield Inn (Park Central)

-Convention Center Hotel (~1000 rooms)

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:35 PM

Kudos!!!  Love the navigational ease.

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

Okay, let's get realistic here.  Ten new hotels for downtown Fort Worth?  All starting construction at the same time or spread out over a 20-year period?  And adding to the existing DT hotels.

The hospitality market might absorb the addition of all these hotels easily for a city of 2 million like Dallas perhaps, but I think FW has a ways to go, yet.  I'm not against hotels...but this is going to be either hotel overkill or else the local hospitality people have been drinking too much champagne.

#26 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

You missed the one the article's actually about:

A full-service boutique hotel with plans for a full-service restaurant should start construction by year’s end, but don’t expect to get the deets too soon. Dowdle Real Estate’s Lynn Dowdle, who specializes in hotel site selection, tells us she’s been working on this project for almost a year. She can’t tell us who it is and where, specifically, it will be, but tells us the info should be coming soon.

I'm hoping one of these hotels will end up at Museum Place...

#27 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

By the way, what do you guys think this means?

the hospitality challenge facing Fort Worth is a lack of dirt in the urban areas, particularly the Medical District, Downtown and along West 7th.

Are they actually saying there's a shortage of empty / underused lots for development?  I don't agree - then again I'm not a developer.

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:43 AM

Yes, that quote did stupefy me too. :huh:

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

Okay, let's get realistic here.  Ten new hotels for downtown Fort Worth?  All starting construction at the same time or spread out over a 20-year period?  And adding to the existing DT hotels.

The hospitality market might absorb the addition of all these hotels easily for a city of 2 million like Dallas perhaps, but I think FW has a ways to go, yet.  I'm not against hotels...but this is going to be either hotel overkill or else the local hospitality people have been drinking too much champagne.

Isn't hospitality more a function of tourism, convention/meeting business and lastly, the downtown business market than the actual size of a community?

It is not unreasonable to think that Fort Worth, with its world class transportation, mild climate and centrality can not expand in the areas of the fore mentioned functions.

A critical strategy that the hospitality industry in Fort Worth should pursue is to separate its marketing by ending the link that searches for air service and hotel accommodations to and in Fort Worth with Dallas. You may know what I mean when your search for Fort Worth flights and it comes up "Dallas"; this also gives Dallas hotels a heads up over Fort Worth hotels.

#30 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

the hospitality challenge facing Fort Worth is a lack of dirt in the urban areas, particularly the Medical District, Downtown and along West 7th.

Are they actually saying there's a shortage of empty / underused lots for development?  I don't agree - then again I'm not a developer.

See the parking map that Austin posted to his new Twitter account. If developers aren't interpreting surface lots as ripe for development, we have a big problem. 

Isn't hospitality more a function of tourism, convention/meeting business and lastly, the downtown business market than the actual size of a community?

It is not unreasonable to think that Fort Worth, with its world class transportation, mild climate and centrality can not expand in the areas of the fore mentioned functions.

Easy now. I agree with what you're saying, but FW's transportation has a long way to go to being high class in this country, much less in the world.

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:37 AM

Easy now. I agree with what you're saying, but FW's transportation has a long way to go to being high class in this country, much less in the world.

Would you agree that every airplane that arrives and departs from DFW Airport qualifies not only Dallas, but Fort Worth too, with having world class transportation. 

Hospitality business relies more heavily on car rental, car services and taxis than transit; and these services are already in place and abundant in North Texas.

Besides In 2018, FW will have a direct rail connection between Downtown and Terminal A or B.

What am I overstating?

#32 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Okay, worded like that, I'll give a little more credit to the original statement. New York's transportation system is world class, Chicago's, San Francisco, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc. Dallas and Fort Worth have a great foundation given their size and their sprawl, but they have a long way to go to get on the level with those other cities.

And I'll believe Tex Rail being done in 2018 when it happens.

#33 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

Those new downtown hoteis, especially the ones with the same "flags" or same owner/operators should consider collaborating on a limo/shuttle system that would be flexible in serving the airport, the museum district, Stockyards, the Arlington sports venues and other entertainment facilities, etc. as guest/client demand dictates. A coordinated marketing scheme would go a long way as well, assuming all or most of these projects survive to see the key being thrown away on opening day.

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

I also left of the proposed convention center hotel, which was rumored to be 1,000 rooms. Most recently mentioned here,

On the tourism front, the city has requests for proposals out on a new convention center hotel, and expects those back by the end of February, Price said.

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

For a perspective, this was said over the airways (NPR) during a reexamination of Atlantic City, NJ and casinos:

"Atlantic City, a town of 40,000 people had 30 millions visitors annually during its heyday".

Moral: Population:Tourism is less a factor than Attraction:Tourism. :smwink:

• JBB likes this

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

Sounds like the Park Central may be turning into a Fairfield? 

DG16-13 1010 Houston Street/ Fairfield Inn and Suites Owner/Applicant: MLAND Lodging, LLC- Piyush Patel / Mayse & Associates, Inc. – Ronald K. Smith Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness for exterior modifications.

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Sounds like the Park Central may be turning into a Fairfield? 

26943_25_b.jpg

I would love to see a new outer shell wrapped around this property.

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:23 AM

I'm hoping one of these hotels will end up at Museum Place...

Posted some details about that in the Museum Place thread.

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

Here's more details on the "new" Park Place

http://www.fortworth...d.html?mode=jqm

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:42 AM

So here's another list of hotels within FW but outside downtown. 

WESTSIDE

-Hotel Renovo @ Museum Place (Thread)

-Townplace Suites (Thread)

-Left Bank (Potentially 2 hotels here) (Thread)

-Cultural District Hotel (Formerly Westin) (Thread)

-West Bend (Thread) 

Northside

Aloft Alliance (Thread)

Stockyards Area hotel (Thread)

*List incomplete, several more in Alliance area but lost track

Southside

Hampton @ Evans & Rosedale (Thread) 

Possible Magnolia hotel (Thread)

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

Samantha Calimbahin has a nice update on some downtown hotels here (CC hotel, Fairfield Park Place, Marriot Autograph Sincliar, Hampton)

http://www.fortworth...422c2278a7.html

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Wow; DTFWI is indicating that there are more hotel projects in the planning stages. 

This is extremely encouraging to think that the City has begun to envision itself as a legitimate tourist and convention destination.

What Fort Worth needs is its own SXSW or something like that to generate more buzz and development.

• JBB likes this

#43 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

What Fort Worth needs is its own SXSW-like event.

Well, we have the Main St. Arts Fest, Mayfest, and the biggest 4th of July event in Texas.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:33 PM

What Fort Worth needs is its own SXSW-like event.

Well, we have the Main St. Arts Fest, Mayfest, and the biggest 4th of July event in Texas.

While those are great venues, they are largely patronized by the greater Tarrant County residents. 

Hotels need out of town business and conventions that will be patronized by business and vendors coming from outside of Texas.

#45 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:57 AM

After reading the most recent FW Business article (Post #41), I must correct my previous notion that downtown is engaged in "hotel overkill."  Quite the contrary!

#46 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

It's not just Fort Worth having a hotel boom:

http://www.usatoday....uston/78422660/

unrelated yet obligatory rant:

I think FW is lumped in with Dallas in that list - particularly galling that they spelled out "Miami/Hialea" and "L.A. / Long Beach" but the metroplex is just "Dallas"

/rant

#47 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

After reading the most recent FW Business article (Post #41), I must correct my previous notion that downtown is engaged in "hotel overkill."  Quite the contrary!

I think it would be an understatement to say that all of this hotel activity has caught us by surprise.  It can only engender more talk about the City.

#48 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

The Park Central Hotel has fencing all around it now.  I assume it is getting ready for its makeover.

#49 David_H

David_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

Yes, there was work going on when we walked by there this morning

a19e520b9f090452406448e3a94d015c.jpg

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members