• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Now over a century old, this Fort Worth building, wedged in a corner between two larger buildings and shrouded by a growing tree on the side, soldiers on in relative obscurity.

Posted Image

Bruce Burton

#2 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

I had to look this one up (9th and Throckmorton)! Definitely will take a walk over to see it on my next visit - thanks for "uncovering" this jewel for us foreigners!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#3 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

I had to look this one up (9th and Throckmorton)! Definitely will take a walk over to see it on my next visit....

Thanks for your comments. The irony is that this building is right across the street from the Sleeping Panther Sculpture and the Flatiron Building. You, like many people, were right there, yet the Bryce Building escaped your notice. In the recent remodeling of this area, it's difficult for me to see what, if any, thought might have been given to the future role of this historic landmark.

Bruce Burton

#4 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

This is one of my favorite downtown buildings and I hope it stays hidden and forgotten forever. It's little obscure historic gems like this that add genuine character and charm to our city-Fort Worth does not need to become the next dehumanized Gotham full of towering featureless monoliths. All true world class cities recognize that.

#5 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

It makes me wonder how many other buildings I've walked by, completely oblivious to?! I agree with John - one of the things I like best about DTFW is the connection to the past. Another favorite of mine is the Fire Station currently dwarfed by the Horton tower - it looks so out of place, yet somehow a perfect fit!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

#6 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I finally sought out this old jewel, although her camouflage has been somewhat diminshed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users