#1 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

HOWDY YA'LL!

I RECKIN' YOU COWPOKES ARE HAVIN' A MIGHTY FINE DAY. YEEHAW!!!!!

Ok, let me stop talking in "character" and get to my point...
Does everyone really like our city's nickname? I'm looking for some feedback on this. If ya like it, I'm cool with that, but I personally think its way outdated.
Also, it seems, it gives the impression everyone here speaks the way I just did in my welcoming intro. lol
What I mean is, this is Texas, the whole country already has us stereotyped as cowboyland. That means everyone driving pickup trucks, living on ranches, riding our horses, and two-steppin' at every dancefloor. Ok, it comes with the territory by living in TX, but do we need to brand this city as COWTOWN forever?

Ok, so some might say the title might give us a unique personality. Really? If Fort Worth was in California or Florida I might agree but here in TX... pick a city, any city or town and the nickname can apply. Anywhere in the Lone Star State you'll see some proud western heritage, not just limited to FW.

Look at it this way, next time you're strolling thru the mall or eating out in a nice resturant around town and you see someone in a 10gallon cowboy hat, wearing his shiniest boots, and wearing his starched wranglers proudly, ask yourself..."Does this urban cowboy look a tad out of place in this modern city or is he just making a stop before he heads out to BillyBobs? lol" If you agree with that, then "Cowtown" is outdated.

By the way, can we all agree on FuNkYtOwN? :swg:

#2 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:08 PM

I think anybody who is a fair observer is going to realize that the nickname has more to do with the city's western heritage than as a statement of what it currently is. There are a lot of people from other parts of the country who find that heritage to be part of the city's charm. In other words, unlike a lot of other generic sprawled out metro areas in the southern half of the country, our city has a heritage that it still embraces and has not forgotten. Why would we want to distance ourselves from it?

Understand that the people who attach unflattering stereotypes against us even after they have seen plenty of evidence to the contrary are going to continue to do so no matter what we do. You can't win with such people - so why even try? Sure, there are those who have bought into such stereotypes out of mere ignorance. But the answer to that is to enlighten them - and we don't have to run away from our heritage in order to do that.

I also wonder if some people who would like to distance themselves from Fort Worth's Cowtown image do so because the stereotypes that people attach to it hit a little bit too close to home. Stereotypes - even those that are unjust - always have at least some basis in reality otherwise the initial attempt at stereotyping wouldn't have been successful. It is, of course, understandable why people might be sensitive to such stereotypes. On the other hand, to the degree that those stereotypes are indeed true, the are a fact and are a part of the city's identity whether one particularly likes it or not. There is, of course, nothing wrong with not liking certain aspects of one's city or its culture and such specific dislikes do not disqualify a person from being a big fan of the city as a whole. On the other hand, I have run into some people whose dislike for certain aspects of our region runs so deep that what they really want is for the region to simply transform itself and be like some other part of the country that better suits their taste. My thought is that such people would probably be happier if they simply lived in whatever place it is they like better.

I don't care where you go, any region of the country is going to have negative stereotypes attached to it. People (and cities) who are secure in their identity and comfortable with who they are do not spend a lot of time worrying about such things.

By the way, can we all agree on FuNkYtOwN?

Well, you won't get my agreement on it. I personally dislike that name as it sounds like a place where a bunch of hippies and/or the mindlessly trendy would hang out in droves. While some people may wish that our city were like that, I have, fortunately, not seen a lot of evidence that such is the case.

Of course, part of that may have to do with how one defines "funky." Here is what I found in one dictionary:

1 : having an offensive odor : FOUL
2 : having an earthy unsophisticated style and feeling; especially : having the style and feeling of older black American music (as blues or gospel) or of funk <a slick, heavy beat that is unmistakably contemporary and irresistibly funky -- Jay Cocks>
3 a : odd or quaint in appearance or feeling b : lacking style or taste c : unconventionally stylish : HIP

Hopefully definition 1 is not applicable. :swg:

I don't think definition 2 is particularly applicable to Fort Worth.

Definition 3a might be a bit applicable - but I think there are more positive ways of expressing it. 3b is certainly not flattering. 3c is what I take to be the meaning intended - and I submit that, in the sewer of today's pop culture, being "hip" is NOT an admirable thing. Besides, whatever it is that happens to be "hip" right now, you can bet your life it will be "un-hip" in a very short period of time. Why invest so much in superficialities and momentary fads when our city already has a rich history and an enduring heritage it can embrace?

Back in the days when hippies were roaming the streets, there was a push for Fort Worth to drop "Cowtown" in favor of "Nowtown." My guess is, a couple decades from now, "Funkytown" will sound as dated and bizarre as does "Nowtown" and that most people will still be calling Fort Worth "Cowtown."
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#3 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

From my vantage point in Far West Texas, I thought y'all might be interested in knowing that there is a subculture of West Texans, generally older generation ranchers and oilmen, who never refer to Fort Worth or San Antonio by their true names. They always refer to the two cities as Cowtown and San Antone, and do so with affection. Fort Worth does not need to market an image or try to brand itself to other Texans. Everyone throughout the state who is not a recent arrival from elsewhere knows that Fort Worth is a distinct city that has little in common with Dallas. Fort Worth is regarded as being a very down to earth, hospitable city where rural Texans feel at home in a familiar environment. Dallas, on the other hand, is seen as pretentious, even snobbish, and too willing to try to copy an image as a trendy East Coast city, and doing a very poor job of it. Out here, Dallas, even more than Houston, is seen as the best place to go shopping for people with large disposable incomes who are willing to spend a few days away from home to do so. Fort Worth is seen as being a better place for familiar entertainment and a better place for sightseeing.

People who don't like the Cowtown nickname can always fall back on the Panther City moniker.

#4 Willy 1

Willy 1
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:33 AM

I don't really like "Cowtown" or "Panther City". Neither one seems relavent to the Fort Worth of today and both seem to render a false image in the minds-eye when you hear either of those nicknames. However, they are, regardless of whether or not anyone likes them, a part of the rich history of Fort Worth. I think the Cowtown name is more relavent than Panther City. Especially since "Panther City" is a name that was originally thrown at FW in an insulting manner by Dallas... Cowtown however is a name that has origins tied to the city's history as one of America's largest cattle cities. It's very "Old West" in nature and I kind of like that FW has ties to the old west.... that image conjures up thoughts of shoot outs, bank robbers, train jumpers and everything glorified in Hollywood's old spaghetti westerns. I think Fort Worth could do a great job spinning the Cowtown name into a much more positive thing. The TV Show Dallas did a great job of stereotyping the entire state as this backwards-ass place where people still ride horses everywhere and live on ranches and swindle each other out of rights to oil reserves. If the city were to have an ad campain that sort of had a "Cowtown isn't what you think" feel to it then I think it could actually work. They've made small attempts at it, but I think they need real advertising geniuses to work it out, not just the CVB trying to regurgitate a bunch a stats in a commercial. I actually like the new Oklahoma commercials I've been seeing. They embrace their heritage and build on it....

So, do I like "Cowtown" --- eh, not really. But, do I think we should abandon it? NO - absolutely not. I think it just needs a fresh spin... "Panther City" - kill that one as far as I'm concerned. Not only is it negative in origin, but it is really vague. I'd be willing to bet most people in FW don't even know the city was once called Panther City. As for Funkytown... I really don't care for that either. It's really just sort of a cheesy retaliation to Fort Worthless that was made up by some Saturday night radio DJ who was trying to lure people to some dance club over the radio.

What if we just called FW, "Dallas' better half"... as if the cities are married to each other, and FW is the better half. LOL....

#5 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:21 PM

I think the Cowtown name is more relavent than Panther City. Especially since "Panther City" is a name that was originally thrown at FW in an insulting manner by Dallas...

The reason I don't think plugging the Panther City nickname is a good idea is because one has to know a pretty obscure bit of history in order to "get it."

As to the negativity - sure, you have a point there. On the other hand, I think there is a certain aspect of it that speaks well of the city. A Dallas newspaper insults Fort Worth with a deliberate smear. What does Fort Worth do? It adopts the smear as its mascot. You have to admit that it takes a certain amount of self-confidence and lack of concern about how one is viewed in the eyes of fools in order to do something like that.

Imagine if a newspaper columnist in a larger or more "prestigious" city elsewhere in the country wrote something negative about Dallas. The city's civic establishment would be deeply wounded. It would be sort of like the crisis an insecure teenager would go through if someone from the "in" crowd at school referred to him/her as a "dork." You would have prominent citizens and newspaper columnist openly wondering what the city could and should do to enhance its prestige in the eyes of significant others - to make the city more "World Class." Build funny looking bridges over the Trinity - fix up downtown which was allowed to be taken over by street people decades ago - do something, anything. Reinvent the city and its image - not because the citizens of the city want to do so or because doing so will make it a better place to live. No - there's a concern more important than any of that: what other people think of us.

Whether the year is 1875 or 2004, why should Fort Worth care what some newspaper columnist in Dallas thinks? Sometimes the best response to an insult is to throw it back in the person's face - and I kind of like to think that is why the Panther City name stuck.

Fort Worth had another nickname in the 1890s: "Queen City of the Prairie." Today, that sounds very dated and almost bizarre.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#6 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:50 PM

What if we just called FW, "Dallas' better half"... as if the cities are married to each other, and FW is the better half. LOL...

And just LOOK at all those children: There's Arlington, and Irving, and Euless, and cute little Pantego over there...

#7 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:49 PM

"Cowtown" is what sets us apart from most cities in Texas. I would rather have that heritage than none at all. In my opinion, it makes FW much more attractive than cities like Dallas and Houston. I mean, there's really nothing special about either places except that they're big. And, unfortunately, that's something a lot of people place above such things as culture and history :swg:

#8 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:14 AM

The only problem I have with 'Cowtown' is there are other cities in the US that are known or have been known as 'Cowtown'. Any regional city with a large packing house and stockyards operation got hung with that moniker.
Our unique position as one of the first stockyards on the Chisolm Trail, and our proximity to West Texas ranching country, however, gives our city a type of 'old West' authenticity that Chicago will never have. No one would go to Chicago looking for cowboys today. B)
There is only one Panther City. Should we promote that as a tourist attraction? Only as a footnote, probably. When Fort Worth was a real Cowtown, it was called Panther City.
Also, have to agree with dismuke on 'Funkytown'. Monikers are earned, not adopted. Sounds more like Austin to me.

#9 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:33 PM

I like all of our nicknames.

None of them should have a material positive or negative impact on tourism, corporate relocations, standard of living, government grants, quality of life, economic growth, traffic congestion, high-end retail, unique bars and restaurants, live music, higher education, or anything else relatively meaningful - unless their existence is the largest part of our marketing strategy.

We should have no more trouble with Cowtown than Boston has with "Beantown", Chicago with "The Windy City" or "Slaughterhouse to the World", or Toronto with "Hogtown".

Even unflattering nicknames are generally terms of endearment. If you don't like our nickname(s), take comfort in knowing that great cities have no trouble rising above them because, well, they are great cities. If Fort Worth is truly great, a bad nickname won't hold her back. If she is not, a great nickname won't propel her to greatness.

At least we don't have Beaver, Oklahoma's unfortunate nickname. ;-)

#10 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:27 PM

Dismuke, do you find it ironic that Fort Worth is regularly compared to the original "Queen City" of Charlotte, NC? I find that most interesting!

As for Cowtown, I think it fits and do not take it negatively. The Stockyards are the biggest tourist draw in the city---sorry Phillip Poole---it's not the Cultural District! In fact the Stokyards folks say they attract five times the number of visitors that the museums do. In the context of the Futurity, the Fat Stock Show, et., it seems reasonable. I think we should embrace it and have Chisolm Trail markers spaced as a Fort Worth walking tour. The trail actually comes up Commerce, goes over the hill and runs along Trinity Bluff until it crosses to the north...the reason was that it was after the confluence of the two forks of the Trinity, thus the cattle only had to cross the river one time. So much for the history lesson.

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

Having just used the nickname "Cowtown" to tell a new friend where I lived, I guess that I feel the nickname is alright and positive. My friend new instantly where I lived; so I think Cowtown is readily recognizable and widely associated with our city.
I think too, the nickname has served Fort Worth very well in the past and present; and may be a tremendous advantage in luring international tourists and businesses; I speak specifically about one nation in particularly, INDIA. A nation which is transitioning into a huge economic power with 100s of millions of people who are becoming wealthier. Isn't it fortunate that this nation also worshipped and give homage to the "COW". Fort Worth, more than any other Texas or American city could parlay this advantage and should have a field day in linking itself up with dozens of Sister Cities in India.
What goes around comes around. Here, I think that the nickname "Cowtown" will serve us well in the future, as it has done so well in both the past and the present.

#12 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:15 PM

I speak specifically about one nation in particularly, INDIA.  A nation which is transitioning into a huge economic power with 100s of millions of people who are becoming wealthier.  Isn't it fortunate that this nation also worshipped and give homage to the "COW".  Fort Worth, more than any other Texas or American city could parlay this advantage and should have a field day in linking itself up with dozens of Sister Cities in India.

Somehow, I don't think they would be so particularly appreciative once they learn what we did to the cows after they were brought to the stockyards! B) At any rate, I am all for it if it brings more Indian restaurants and grocery markets to Fort Worth. Indian food is great stuff.

I agree that Indian sister cities might be a better deal for Fort Worth than cities in a lot of other countries. Also, I don't know if it is the fact that immigrants tend to be pretty high caliber people to begin with, but most Indians I have known have been absolutely wonderful and industrious individuals. If the Indian government keeps on track with free market reforms and opening its economy to the outside world, India has a potentially bright future indeed.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#13 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:30 PM

Charlotte? Hmmm... I think Cincinnati is the original Queen City.

#14 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:03 PM

Charlotte? Hmmm... I think Cincinnati is the original Queen City.

I've no idea which was first, but I've seen "the Queen City" applied to Charlotte, Cinci, Denver, and Toronto. And then there's Buffalo, "the Queen City of the Great Lakes"; Sonora, CA, "the Queen of the Southern Mines"; and New Orleans, "the Queen of the Mississippi".

I was never quite sure what that appelation was intended to imply.

Incidentally, I've also heard people refer to Dallas as "Cowtown". No idea why. At least with KC and Chicago and Calgary it was once a reasonable description.

Note that most really cool large cities have several well-known and frequently-used nicknames. And note that Dallas pretty much just has the wonderfully creative "Big D".

#15 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

I've no idea which was first, but I've seen "the Queen City" applied to Charlotte, Cinci, Denver, and Toronto. And then there's Buffalo, "the Queen City of the Great Lakes"; Sonora, CA, "the Queen of the Southern Mines"; and New Orleans, "the Queen of the Mississippi".

Well, if any city deserves to be called "Queen City" it is Mexia.

Now, follow me on this for a minute.....

There is an old story about two Yankees who were traveling across Texas by car. They were already a bit baffled by some of the location names they had seen (Lake Tawakoni, Waxahachie, etc) when suddenly they came across a sign that said "Welcome To Mexia." Surely, they thought, the name can't be pronounced the way it looks. Spotting a roadside restaurant, they decided to stop and ask. Once the got inside the restaurant, they walked up to the lady behind the counter and asked: "Excuse me, Miss. We are tourists from up North and are have a bit of difficulty figuring out how to pronounce the the name of this place. Can you help us?" The waitress looked at them a bit funny and said: "Sure! Day-ree-queen!"

Oh... well..... I'd better go run and hide now!
<duck>
B)
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#16 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:37 AM

I'll bet that there are quite a few native Texans that don't know how to pronounce Iraan or Marathon correctly.

#17 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:13 PM

Cowtown is it's own city, Dallas and Houston are just Atlanta look-alikes, without the hills and trees.

I am glad we have a unique and true Texan heritage.

JOCO

#18 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 01:53 PM

Personally, I always liked "Speed City," which refers to Fort Worth dominance in Track and Field, my sport of choice. "Funkytown" is a term I use reluctantly, but like it lot more than "Cowtown."

In the 70's and 80's, before drug kingpin Billy Ray Maddox was arrested, Fort Worth was one of the hottest places to party in Texas. I recall seeing Prince and other famous artists face-to-face at private parties hosted by Mr. Maddox at his former club "Billy Rays."

The nicknames "Fort 'Party' Worth" and subsequently "Funkytown" B) were coined because many felt that names like "Cowtown" were only fitting for the stockyards, a place many blacks in Fort Worth never visited.

#19 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:48 PM

Howdy Partners! Yippee Ky Yay whut a turnout on the topic I started!!! Alot of pride here in ol' Foat Wuth! LOL (I can't help speaking this way when I think of "Cowtown") :P

Anywho...
What about our heritage in Aviation? FW is rich in that as well as a western history. For instance GD now LockheedMartin started manufacturing military planes around WW2 and Bell Helicopter is based here right? Also with the construction of DFW Airport attracted American Airlines headquarters to FW as well. Even before DFW we had Meacham Airport. Also I think we got the first & maybe the only major industial airport (Alliance) that proved to be VERY succesfull since we lured dozens of companies to that area. What about Carswell now Fort Worth N.A.S? The first base to combine all branches of the military. I know some of you see all them planes in the air when you drive around Ridgmar Mall - what a sight!
Oh check this out...

[QUOTE]The first non-stop flight around the world was made by, again, a team of the US Air Force flyers in 1949. Taking off from Carswell Air Force base in Fort Worth, Texas on 26 February, Captain James Gallagher and a crew of 14 headed east in a B-50 Superfortress, called Lucky Lady II. They were refuelled four times in air by KB-29 tanker planes of the 43rd Air Refuelling Squadron, over the Azores, Saudi Arabia, the Philippines and Hawaii. The circumnavigation was completed on 2 March, having travelled 94 hours and 1 minute, covering 37 743 km (23,452 miles) at an average 398 km/h (249 mph).

Flight History Link

Maybe we can be called "The City on Wings" along with the familiar "Where the West Begins" B)

#20 vjackson

vjackson
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:33 PM

CJ, I remember my parents and relatives talking about Billy Ray's when I was a kid. I grew up in Houston. People would drive all the way from Houston to "Funkytown" just to party there on weekends. Where was it located, and is the building still there???

#21 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:29 AM

CJ, cool info...

Where are the Billy Ray's of today when we need them? lol :devil:

#22 DaPanther84

DaPanther84
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

i like panther city i dont really feel cowtown anymore because there are other cities that claim that name like sacramento for example. panther city is different and there is nothing wrong with being named after an animal as sleek and cunning as the panther.

#23 DaPanther84

DaPanther84
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:52 PM

cjyoung you wouldn't happen to know anyone with the last name woolridge do ya

#24 DaPanther84

DaPanther84
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:57 PM

cjyoung the reason why i asked because i know billy ray's family

#25 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 03:36 PM

The building is on the southside and I think part of it is still standing, it has been at 15 years since I actually partied there, and at 10 since I last saw the building.

I went to school (Forest Oak/Dunbar) with several people with the last name of Woolridge, but it's been since my Future/Billy Ray's/Speakeasy days since I've seen them.

Peace

:devil:

#26 ILoveAJuggalo1569

ILoveAJuggalo1569

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Playing softball!

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:45 PM

[COLOR=blue]HEY EVERYONE DRKLTS IS MY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR ] :P
Everman High School C/O "06"

#27 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

Guess who is going to the rodeo?  Five years and right dab in the middle of chicky-chic.  Is this interesting or not; and how long to go before the New Will Rogers Arena is good to go?

Step to the rear Real Cowtown. :glare:

#28 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Is this the news you are referring to?

http://finance.yahoo...WQDBHNlYwNzYw--

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Yes; that is the news. ;)

#30 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

Yes; that is the news. ;)

You can tell because it's on Yahoo.

My blog: Doohickie

#31 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:36 AM

Eleven years.

--

Kara B.

#32 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

Eleven years.

In 11 years, Fort Worth will probably have a population in excess of one million; a significantly larger downtown area; and a brand-new Will Rogers Coliseum that can host all the grandiose rodeo and other sports activities to boot.  And by then no one will remember the world championship events at the AA Center in Dallas.

#33 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

Eleven years.

In 11 years, Fort Worth will probably have a population in excess of one million; a significantly larger downtown area; and a brand-new Will Rogers Coliseum that can host all the grandiose rodeo and other sports activities to boot.  And by then no one will remember the world championship events at the AA Center in Dallas.

I was referring more to a thread that's been dead 11 years being resurrected because, reasons, I guess.

• JBB likes this

--

Kara B.

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

I was referring more to a thread that's been dead 11 years being resurrected because, reasons, I guess.

Is there now a rule against a thread being resurrected? :glare:

#35 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

Very disappointing news.

-Dylan

#36 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Eleven years.

Actually, with this event being held at AAC, this shows that the newly planned WRC is already undersized and inadequate. Nobody is going to be moving this event from Victory Park to a smaller venue in Cowtown, barring a complete screwup by Dallas in hosting this.

#37 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

As reported in a different thread awhile back, Wichita and Tulsa have larger arenas.

We're building an arena fit for a smaller town rather than a major city.

-Dylan

#38 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Actually, with this event being held at AAC, this shows that the newly planned WRC is already undersized and inadequate. Nobody is going to be moving this event from Victory Park to a smaller venue in Cowtown, barring a complete screwup by Dallas in hosting this.

The true advantage that WRMC Arena has now and will be nearly impossible to match once it is open is the extensive barns and ancillary infrastructure created specifically to support livestock stabling, feeding, care, exercising, etc.

The study to determine the optimum seating and viewing of animal exhibitions proved to be 12-14k. 

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

You think this event will really pull in the extra 5-6k that the AAC has over the WRMC? I've got no idea honestly. I'm in agreement with Rename that the WRMC will be an ideal location for such events in the future. 

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Well... now that the tread has been revived, I guess this could be a good opportunity to suggest something. 

How many cities market TWO nicknames at once? 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

Cowtown, Funkytown, Fort Funk, Panther City, Queen City on the Prairies, Where the West begins, Westoplex, etc etc. I don't think FW necessarily has an identity crisis, but it does seem to have an identity marketing crisis. 

#42 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

You listed 7 nicknames on there, 1 (Fort Funk) I've never heard before and 3 others (Funkytown, Queen City, and Westoplex) that I would dare you to show me one single instance of them being used in any serious marketing effort. The other 3 I'll give you, but I'm not sure if that's enough to amount to any sort of identity crisis.

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

You are right, not all of those are used frequently for marketing. Cowtown and Where the West begins seem to be the two that I see most often honestly, perhaps with Panther City right behind but that's got more to do with localized names (Cats, Panther Island, etc) Honestly I don't see Funkytown being used much either, it's more associated with the song than the city. 

• JBB likes this

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

I like the Panther City nickname for its reflection of an eclectic (if not a little urban legend-ish) story of city history. I've always thought Funkytown was a little contrived.

#45 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:39 PM

I've always thought "Funkytown" is *very* contrived, and besides, the actual, famous song of the same name was written in Minneapolis about New York.

• JBB likes this

--

Kara B.

#46 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

I've always thought "Funkytown" is *very* contrived, and besides, the actual, famous song of the same name was written in Minneapolis about New York.

"Cowtown" sounds extremely corny IMHO.

The "Funkytown" nickname has nothing to do with the song by Lipps, Inc.

Most of us had not even heard the song in the mid 80s when we started using the moniker.

You'd have to be a part of the culture to understand.

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:02 PM

I was thinking of using both "Cowtown" and "Panther City" as the primary nicknames.
Cowtown to represent the wild west heritage and history. Panther City to represent modernism, art, and forward thinking. 

I think it would work. But as far as those other nicknames go:

- "Funkytown" or "THE Funk" ... let's just call that an "urban" thing. As in, you're more likely to hear that on K104 than you would 97.9 the Eagle. I know I just used radio as an analogy, but it has nothing to do with the song.
- "Queen City on the Prairies" ... that seems like something that would be more used during the early 20th century. Sounds too old-timey. 
- "
Where the West Begins" ... more of motto than a nickname. HOWEVER, I'm sure St. Louis may have a problem with that. 

- "Westoplex" ... never heard of that one.

- "Fort Funk" ... see Westoplex 
- "Fort Party Worth" ... I always heard my grampa and several old black guys his age call it that. So that one may also be a little more of a group association. And more than likely, was more used in the 70s than anything.
- "Murda Worth" ... when this city was a murder capital of the United States, many in the hood used this and it made sense. Some people STILL use this today and I shake my head in disappointment and disgust. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Just for fun, here's a look at how many hashtags each has been used on Instagram

Funkytown-61,039. Most of these have nothing to do with FW though. 

Cowtown-48,958. Though it seems about 1/3-1/2 of that is from Calgary and various "Cowtowns"

Panther City-1,596. Big drop off, but these are all FW related for sure. 

Murda Worth-1,111. Still quite popular. Most of the posts are very "hood".

The rest have less than 20 or so posts. 

#49 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:07 PM

I will say that all the people I know using "Funkytown" are 20something hipsters.

--

Kara B.

#50 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

- "Murda Worth" ... when this city was a murder capital of the United States...

What on earth? This sounds like complete and total urban legend that gets us stuck with things like CCPD forever. A bit of google searching returns this info:

http://www.pewresear...murder-capital/

But I'd love to find a source for this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users