3 replies to this topic

#1 Rodeo4Phun

Rodeo4Phun

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Can anyone tell me how long police records are held? My interest is 1968 , Fort Worth, TX.

#2 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Can anyone tell me how long police records are held? My interest is 1968 , Fort Worth, TX.

Records retention is decided by the agency and is then made a part of policy.

Before my retirement last September, I worked in Open Records for a State agency. Based on that knowledge I suggest that you do the following.

Submit an open records request to the agency/police department of concern. Provide as much information as possible (name, dates, place, etc). The request has to be in writing, but does NOT have to be a formal typed letter. You could take a plain piece of paper, indicate the information you want, and provide a return address. It doesn't even have to say that it is an open records request.

The agency is required to respond within 10 business days. Their response could be:
1. the requested records, or a cost estimate for copying the requested records.
2. an explanation that the records are not currently available, and a date by which time the records should be available.
3. a letter detailing information from the destruction notice stating when the records were destroyed.
4. a notification that the agency does not consider the records to be public information, and therefore the agency has submitted a brief to the Texas Attorney General seeking an opinion about whether to release or hold the records.

My agency only dealt with records post conviction and were subject to our agencies 10 year retention schedule. I have no idea whether pre-conviction records would have a limited retention.

For more information about Open Records, contact the Texas Attorney General's Office, or google Texas Open Records.

GenE Shockley

#3 hinzdl

hinzdl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

I do not remember that particular lounge, but will have to look into it. Also the best thing to do is what GenE said abouot submitting an Open Records Request. I'm not sure how long the records are kept, I know a lot have been destroy but may still be available on mircofische.....

#4 Rodeo4Phun

Rodeo4Phun

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

I will try your advice Gene, thanks for your and hindl's time and research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users