• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#51 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

This latest from the Star-Telegram is cause for more confusion.  A unofficial computer ranking TCU No. 1 versus the official championship paring Ohio State (No. 2 in this computer ranking) and Oregon (No. 3).  

http://www.star-tele...cle5340822.html

#52 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

Haven't read the accompanying article, but I would make 2 assumptions: that ranking is a product of TCU's strong bowl opponent and the winner of the game next Monday moves ahead of them in that poll.

#53 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

I think TCU will finish at #3 and be top three in the preseason behind Ohio State and Oregon. If they can get Daylon Mack (who might be their highest ranked recruit ever) and improve in the secondary they may be higher.  :swg:

This team will make the CFP if Treyvone can stay healthy.

#54 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

Pretty good broadcast this morning for Mike and Mike on ESPN2. More shots of Fort Worth than just the Stockyards. Some pretty good shots of downtown around Sundance Square and beyond.

#55 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:24 AM

How long before they discover the Near Southside?

My blog: Doohickie

#56 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

Been watching ESPN the past few minutes. Decent coverage of Fort Worth so far.

When they returned from commercial a few minutes ago, they began with "Welcome to the metroplex area ... we're live from Fort Worth" while showing the Bass towers on screen. They have also had some overhead shots of the plaza.

EDIT: Anchor just messed up: "Welcome to metropolitan Dallas ... we're live from Fort Worth." At least they were showing the Bass towers.

They also told everyone about the cold weather there. Glad I'm visiting my dad in warm Miami. :)

-Dylan

#57 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

I think it's understandable when Dallas-based companies are introducing them to the area use "Dallas area" as much as possible.

Flying back from New York, I wanted to slap the $&@!  out of the pilot. "The weather in the Big D is...", "We should land in Big D in..." over and over. Made me want to not fly AA anymore.

Also, the Dallas Cowboys are the highest profile team in the most high profile sport. Local and national media is in love with them and everything that they do, so they'll try and anchor anything within 100 miles as "Dallas".

Those who take the time to look, as with TCU, usually find that this place is great, but most are lazy so they never do.

#58 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

More on ESPN's visit in the Star-Telegram.

http://www.star-tele...cle5476539.html

#59 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

I am somewhat feeling an ethical dilemma surrounds the staging of the College Football Playoffs (CFP) for a mythical national champion; which was then brought home to me by my mother who wondered out a loud how the people coming to town could afford the prices being asked for tickets and related events.

The money being taken in by the corporate and by "for profit" interests is rank exploitation of the amateur athletes, students and alumni. On one side,  I am glad that local businesses (restaurants, merchants) will benefits; while on the other side, I am glad at least that the City of Fort Worth has decided to forgo fleecing the fans of the two teams with gimmickry. 

Instead of a repeat of this CFP, I hope that the college presidents will revisit this idea and put a end to it.

#60 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

I am somewhat feeling an ethical dilemma surrounds the staging of the College Football Playoffs (CFP) for a mythical national champion; which was then brought home to me by my mother who wondered out a loud how the people coming to town could afford the prices being asked for tickets and related events.

The money being taken in by the corporate and by "for profit" interests is rank exploitation of the amateur athletes, students and alumni. On one side,  I am glad that local businesses (restaurants, merchants) will benefits; while on the other side, I am glad at least that the City of Fort Worth has decided to forgo fleecing the fans of the two teams with gimmickry. 

Instead of a repeat of this CFP, I hope that the college presidents will revisit this idea and put a end to it.

Renamerusk, I believe that a major concern prior to establishing the BCS playoff system was that college football would become like pro football with its concomitant commercialization.  Of course the college football playoff system was supposed to establish some formality regarding competition.  I guess it was based on  the college basketball playoff model more so than the NFL system.  What didn't seem to be working in college football was the poll method of choosing number one, together with the proliferation of meaningless invitational bowl games.  Unfortunately, in our market-driven culture, you can't prevent people from making a buck out of any competition.

#61 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

Anything like that is loooong gone.

#62 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:11 AM

I can't help but perhaps the Convention Center is missing a prime oppertunity right now. Kay Bailey CC in Dallas is hosting the CFB Playoff fan central. FW's, just a short walk from the Sundance festivities, is hosting an RV show. I know we've talked here before about tying those two together, this would have been a good oppertunity. 

#63 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

Unless they scaled it and laid it out quite differntly, FW's isn't large enough. FW has 250k square feet of exhibit space and Playoff Fan Central is using 500k square feet of exhibit space in Dallas.

#64 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

I can't help but perhaps the Convention Center is missing a prime oppertunity right now. Kay Bailey CC in Dallas is hosting the CFB Playoff fan central. FW's, just a short walk from the Sundance festivities, is hosting an RV show. I know we've talked here before about tying those two together, this would have been a good oppertunity. 

Unless they scaled it and laid it out quite differntly, FW's isn't large enough. FW has 250k square feet of exhibit space and Playoff Fan Central is using 500k square feet of exhibit space in Dallas.

The point that I was attempting to make [post#59] was one that the CFP is unfair to the players and student bodies; I understand that U of Oregon has already started spring classes.  Imagine our Horned Frogs/fans  traveling to Pasadena, CA. winning and then having to travel to Miami - WOW!

Amateur sports has officially been turned into a quasi professional endeavor because of the CFP.  TV , corporations, entertainers and shamefully, the City of Dallas sees this as just an opportunity for them to make money off of college athletes who cannot be paid and or strictly regulated as to what they can receive.  Really, why should Sting make $$$$ - this is not the NFL with $B owners and players earning $M.

For whatever the reason, I am glad that Fort Worth did not seek to make money it that way.  It is certainly just for the small businesses (restaurants, hotels,shops) that pay local taxes to benefit.  Ideally, when the next turn for North Texas to hold the CFP comes around, I hope that Fort Worth will be the place where all events are free and that our local institutions (zoo, museums,etc.) will accept the out of town fans' "tickets" as a pass to our local attractions.  

Yes, let the fans eat, drink and buy locally; but do not view them as an opportunity to make a quick buck.

#65 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

Win #1 down.

#66 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

...barely.....

#67 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:32 AM

...barely.....

Still undefeated!

#68 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

Minnesota is a team on the upswing. I have a feeling that will help their strength of schedule later in the season.

#69 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

Minnesota is a team on the upswing. I have a feeling that will help their strength of schedule later in the season.

Yes, the Gophers could win the Big10 West and that would help the strength of schedule.

#70 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:18 PM

Something I saw while browsing through Cheezburger's website: http://cheezburger.c...nst-tcu-kickers

I'm not a football fan, but that was funny.

-Dylan

#71 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:54 AM

That's hilarious!

#72 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

Oops. I thought ESPN was going to be broadcasting from Fort Worth sometime this week, but it turns out they were here last weekend. :unsure:

-Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users