#51 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

Yes, it is hard to believe.  However, if you do a little digging, there is quite a bit of evidence to support it.  It's unfortunate that I don't remember the old Biltmore Garage and the construction of the hotel on top of it.  I was actually already interested in architecture and construction when I was a kid. I was born in 1957, and I remember going to some of the stores and shops with my family when they were open before the buildings were demolished to build the Convention Center.   The center opened in 1968 and I do remember seeing the old buildings come down and the center go up.  However, I had to be driven downtown, and all of the retail was at the north end, so I can't say how often I had a chance to see the Convention Center construction.  The Hilton Annex opened in 1970.  It might have been that the Convention Center construction was so impressive that I didn't pay any attention to the Hilton Annex going up on top of the old garage. 

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

At one time recently, I was going to start a thread about the buildings that were designed to have more floors added on top with a description of their current fate.  Maybe, I will do that soon.

Now, I'm getting back to finding historical information that the structure to the Biltmore Garage is under the Hilton Hotel Annex.  My first clue is that several references to the building had been made that it was built on top of an old garage.  Here's how I found out.  When a multi-story building is built, they obviously can't erect a column that is all one piece of steel or one pour of concrete.  The columns have to be spliced together in steel and each floor poured separately with concrete.  In both cases, the structure is spliced where the forces are the lowest.  In a multi-story building, that location is slightly above the beam or slab line of a floor.  Therefore, a building that is designed to have more floors added to it will have the structure of the building protruding above the roof line.  If you look at www.historicaerials.com, you can see buildings that have their structural grid extending beyond the roof.  Those buildings were designed to have more floors added on top. Over the course of history in Fort Worth, the buildings with concrete structure usually had the added floors framed in steel.  There are also a couple of other photos in the UTA Collection that give a view of the roof of the Biltmore Garage.  It was clearly designed to have more floors added on top.

The one unique thing about the Biltmore was that the interior circular ramp had columns around its sides that went entirely through the building.  When the developers released the renovation plans, they show the parking garage plans and the upper floor plans.  The column grid of the lower levels match up to the aerial photographs before the addition and the ramp is in the same location.  Another clue is to look at the historic photograph that I linked to earlier.  From along the street faces at the first floor you can count the column bays and they match up on both the Commerce Street side and on 8th Street.  It's pretty clear from the old photographs that the exterior columns go all the way up, but if you look at the south wall of the current building, after the first floor the column grid shifts.  If you look through the grille on the facade, you can see the columns on 8th Street actually are set inside the garage and they align with the ones on the first floor.  Also, if you look at the south elevation, you can see the upper floors of the garage are framed in steel, not concrete, like the first floor.  As for how many floors the garage was originally designed, it is hard to tell.  Automobiles weigh more than hotel furniture, so I'm sure they added more floors to the building than what was planned for a garage.  Another thing to consider is that back in the 1920's the concrete buildings tended to be over designed.  Also, it appears from the facade that the original building was built at three stories and a fourth floor was added sometime later, with more originally planned.  Ultimately, the building became five levels of garage with eight floors of hotel rooms above.

#53 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

That's a nice-looking parking garage! What a shame it was ruined.

-Dylan

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

It was built in 1928 and it was designed by Fort Worth Architect, Wiley G. Clarkson.  Clarkson designed the Sinclair Building (1930), First Methodist Church (1930), and the Masonic Temple (1931), just to name a few. 

#55 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:52 PM

Golly, John, that building looks like it was used in one of the old B&W Superman serials!

/Jimmy Olsen

My blog: Doohickie

#56 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Seems like this is finally moving forward. 

CsGBo__WAAAq653.jpg

Extra supports for the granite wall on the ground floor which had started to slide off

CsGBqJnWcAAv86b.jpg

#57 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

I had noticed the work at the Sinclair Building, but I did not see any activity when I was on Commerce Street earlier in the week.  It is good to know that they have started.

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Some of the windows have been removed, so they are making progress on the building.

#59 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

The granite was coming off the walls???!!!  :eek:

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

Yes, it was starting to slip off.  Austin and I had noticed that back in May when we were walking around downtown together.  One of the Mid-Century Modern office buildings in Downtown Dallas had the same problems a few years back.

#61 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

There is going to be a construction elevator in the center of the south wall.  It was being erected today.

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

Unfortunately, the annex bacame a hideous eyesore during its previous renovation, and will remain so after this renovation.

New rendering I had'nt seen, shows the upper floors a bit more and how they relate to the garage levels. It is a bit small though. You can also see the lighting strips at the top left. 

XQ9uuJc.jpg

Edit-Higher Res

TJTVC9G.jpg

"PAS, would you reconsider after seeing these renderings?"

#63 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

Nope. I'd say it's lipstick on a pig, but that'd be offensive to pigs.

-Dylan

#64 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

Considering the era it was built and what style that building is, I'd say there's no need to call it lipstick on a pig. This is the BEST they can do with the Annex as far as making it look "presentable". 2nd best option is demolition. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#65 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

It's going to look better than it does now, but that's a pretty low bar to get over.

df77532bbf05f4059dae477d65ea8a24.jpg

#66 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

I believe, when it is completed,  we will then have the chance to pronounce final judgement.  The garage treatment, as rendered,  already presents a better facade than Cowtown Park Plaza in my judgement.

#67 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

I believe, when it is completed,  we will then have the chance to pronounce final judgement.  The garage treatment, as rendered,  already presents a better facade than Cowtown Park Plaza in my judgement.

As I said in the past. Are they going to follow through of the renderings ? Are the bottom five floors going to glow ? Or as in many cases, cutback what was planned to squeeze out every penny ? How will it look during daylight ? That is what I am waiting for.

#68 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

As I said in the past. Are they going to follow through of the renderings ? Are the bottom five floors going to glow ? Or as in many cases, cutback what was planned to squeeze out every penny ? How will it look during daylight ? That is what I am waiting for.

I hope that your concerns are found to be unwarranted. 

What I like about this rendering for the immediate area is that it will add additional "nighttime light" to a section of Downtown that is dark comparatively to the 7th - 3rd Streets section.  There are a number of sections within Downtown that are in need of nighttime light and additional pedestrian activity.

#69 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:54 PM

The more I have looked into this project and the renderings I am starting to really like this projcect and what it will do for this area downtown. I like the fact that ground floor retail is being included and the pool and patio area will be good for the residents.

Now we just need some of the parking lots in the area to be repurposed.

#70 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Actually, this building has a nice pedigree.  After doing a little bit of research, I discovered that the addition of the top 9 floors from the previous 4 story garage was designed by Preston M. Geren Associates. They also did the redesign of the lower four floors to match the addition on top.  Geren's firm designed Farrington Field, Arlington Heights High School, the Oil & Gas Building, the Landmark Tower, the Oncor Building (Originally Fort Worth National Bank), and all of its annexes and garages, including the Ballroom Addition to the Hilton Hotel, and 777 Main's Garage at 7th and Commerce.  Geren was also one of the five architectural firms that designed the original Convention Center.

#71 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

From Lancaster TIF meeting agenda. 

A. Discussion and consideration of a resolution authorizing Amendment No. 1 to the TIF Economic Development Program Agreement with Hotel Texas Annex, LLC for the extension of the Completion Deadline.

#72 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

The architects have some new renderings online. Nothing too exciting though.

https://merriman-maa...n-annex/?term=8

#73 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

With the work going on at the STS Tower and the Sinclair Building, I am anxious to see more work progressing on this building.

#74 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

The architects have some new renderings online. Nothing too exciting though.

https://merriman-maa...n-annex/?term=8

I thought this development was going to be apartments. The link says it is going to be a hotel

#75 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Oh you're right good catch. I wonder if that is a typo or the project changed?

#76 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

I think I need to learn how to read.  I did not catch that earlier, either.  You know, it makes sense.  We probably need both, but the hotel market is big in Fort Worth right now.  This project has also had some issues in the past.

#77 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

With the Sinclair two months from opening, I wonder if the Annex will be ready to hold valeted cars.

#78 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Will this bldg look anything like the renderings from 2015 ?

#79 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

BlueMound, I can't say how it will appear when it is finished.  The building has some issues and I have not been told the direction the project will take.  The issues that I am aware of, are not structural, or anything relating to the physical building. 

#80 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

The impact of the historic status of the building on the project floors me.

#81 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Again, I don't know the outcome of how this building will appear when it is finished, but here is what is happening.  First of all I will give a brief history.  I think I have done this earlier in the thread, but here it goes again. .

The lower four floors of the Hilton Hotel annex were designed by Wiley G. Clarkson as a parking garage in 1928.  The structure was designed so that the building could have more levels of parking built on top of it.  I don't know how many extra parking floors could have been built.  In 1968 or so, the Sheraton Fort Worth Hotel (or maybe Hotel Texas) at the time purchased the garage and announced that with the opening of the new Tarrant County Convention Center, they would build a hotel annex on top of the existing garage.  They added one floor of parking to cover the existing rooftop parking, and then 8 floors of hotel rooms above.  They hired Preston M. Geren Associates to redesign the building. This included re-skinning the lower levels to match the new architecture of the upper levels.  When the hotel was restored in its conversion to the Hyatt Regency in 1981, the main building and the ballroom addition (to the north) were designated as Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks and were added to the National Register of Historic Places.  At a later date, the Hilton Hotel Annex was documented and the owners asked the State and National Park Service to expand the boundaries of the Hotel Texas to include the annex.  That boundary extension was granted and the reasoning behind it was that the building was used as an annex to a historic hotel, and the original character of the Clarkson Parking Garage had not been altered because its function was still the same (even though the original facade had been removed and 9 floors had been added on top).  Eventually the hotel split the properties up and the annex was sold off to the owner of the Sinclair Building.

The owner of the property is going for the historic tax credits at all three levels on his three buildings (Sanger Brothers, Sinclair Building, and the Hilton Hotel Annex).  If you are seeking tax credits, then you have to play by the Federal, State, and City Governments rules on preservation.  If the owner wants the tax credits, he cannot alter the facade.  If he changes the facade, then he will not receive the tax credits.  As ugly as we might think the annex is, it is a historic building.

#82 Cody C

Cody C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

Sad to say but this building is back on the market. 

#83 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

Did they at least clean it out?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#84 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

It doesn't surprise me with as long as it was taking.  I saw little to no progress on it in the past 2 years and was wondering what was taking it so long.

#85 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:14 PM

I feel like there was a construction elevator attached to it, at least for a while.

It has been so long, but it seems like there was some speculation that somehow or another the parking of the building would be put to use for the Sinclair hotel project -- even though it is 3 or 4 blocks away -- I guess that will change.

#86 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:16 PM

Yes, it was cleaned out thoroughly.  It was cleaned enough that it was ready to go in and start the rebuilding of the interior.  I toured the building in January 2017.  I visit with the owner on a fairly frequent basis and I'm guessing that he couldn't make the project work without the tax credits at all three levels, and his investors told him that the had to update the facade if they were to stay in the project.

#87 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

Roverone, there was a construction elevator on the exterior and I think it is still there.  There was also speculation that the garage levels would be utilized for parking for the Sinclair Hotel guests. 

#88 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Interesting to find that the property is deed restricted against hotel uses. Guessing that dates to when Hilton sold it.

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

Austin, I was at the dentist's office yesterday afternoon, so I didn't feel like posting any in the evening.  I would suspect that the deed restrictions against a hotel would have been made when the Hilton sold it.

#90 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

Interesting to find that the property is deed restricted against hotel uses......

....I would suspect that the deed restrictions against a hotel would have been made when the Hilton sold it.

Protecting it's territory would make good business sense, wouldn't it?

#91 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

Yes, it would.

#92 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

The deed restriction effectively limits the property to a very narrow range of development.

With the aging population growing, I think that one possibility is to develop the property as an upscale retirement complex. I think it would also be an excellent location for an ER Clinic and an urban grocery store.

#93 FWGeek

FWGeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

Here's the link to the listing on Loopnet: https://www.loopnet....th-TX/16031545/

"Current ownership has completed a design, including full construction plans, for a re-development of the property to include 150 residential rental units on the upper eight floors in conjunction with an operating valet parking garage that can accommodate approximately 175-200 vehicles onsite. Amenities incorporated into the design include the residential lobby and ground floor retail space, outdoor swimming pool and sixth floor deck, fitness center, theatre, meeting rooms, lounges and more. 

While the Property can be re-developed into other uses including office space or live/work units, should the purchaser desire to pursue the contemplated multi-family development, the Purchaser can be provided copies of the nearly complete permit set of construction documents and all due diligence materials the owner has completed toward the multi-family re-development. Please note the Property is deed restricted preventing future use as a hotel.

To aid in the financial benefits of the re-development, the Property has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places providing significant re-development federal and state tax credits. In addition, the Property had previously secured an agreement with the downtown Fort Worth Tax Increment Financing District #3 for more than $4.7 million in funding. A purchaser that re-applies may also be successful in obtaining a larger amount.

#94 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

As you can see there are quite a bit of federal and state tax credits available for this project, providing the owner keeps the current facade.  However, as we have all agreed, the facade leaves a lot to be desired.  The new owners could give up these significant tax credits if they wanted to alter the appearance of the building.  I don't know how this would affect the TIF funding for the project.

#95 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 11:44 PM

Construction has stopped on the Hilton Hotel Annex.  The building has been sold back to the hotel (or someone associated with it).

I think and do hope that the potential success of 901 Commerce will generate interest from some investor(s) to do a mixed-used residential/retail project. It is nicely positioned to rail, urban parks and the Convention Center.

#96 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

I've heard that the property might be re-absorbed into the Hilton family via a new owner which would allow the deed restriction against hotel uses to be removed. 

I think this is perhaps the most fitting use for the property, given it's location near the Convention Center and existing direct connection to the Hilton across the street. 

#97 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 07 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

I will be surprised if it goes back to a hotel because of what they want to lift the restriction but maybe they lightened up on what they wanted. Last I heard there was condo/apartment group interested but there's been quite a few looked at it so who knows. 

#98 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

If the below ground costs are prohibited, then level two should be considered for parking.   A hotel should never want to be in negligent litigation with a guest because it did not provide the fundamental blocks of safety.  Hampton Suites has set the standard.

I have the same concerns with Hilton Gardens Inn (HGI) and the Ramada Inn (RI) projects on the drawing board.  Leasing space in the Cowtown Parking Garage might be an option for RI.  HGI plans are getting shakier as more details become available. 

How are  A/C Marriott and Sinclair handling their guest parking; valet?,

I am not sure on the AC but I Know on the SInclair he was originally going to valet over to the Hilton Annex but he made a deal on a lot or a garage closer to the Hotel hence he put the Annex up for sale as he didn't really need it. 

Whatever it is that's getting in the way of the Hilton Annex redevelopment really needs to be resolved.  It can easily be a reliever garage for the hotel projects underway and would have no shortage for demand.

#99 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:12 PM

Sounds like this is leaning back toward a European-inspired 189-key boutique hotel.  I'm not holding my breath until we're out from under COVID.  I think the hotels that are currently being finished up will be a litmus test for new development and then everyone step back and see what happens with project financing, the election, occupancy rates and the job market through the end of the year / start of 2021:

https://www.bizjourn...oans-covid.html

#100 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

You have to feel for the hotel owners.  There is practically nothing they could have done to prepare for this. 

In the future, I would think that business interruption insurance policies that include viral pandemics will become the norm. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users