• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

As we were finishing off our seedless watermelon tonight, we were reminded of the several watermelon stands around Fort Worth in the 1940s.

The only one I can remember was near the Tivoli Theater just west of Hemphill on Magnolia.

They had picnic tables and a large box with the watermelons in cold water and ice. We think the charge was about 15 or 25 cents a slice.

Anyone remember these stands?

#2 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:20 AM

Yeah, I do. The one on Magnolia was still running in the early 50's, and I remember sitting at picnic tables in the early evening under strings of amber bug lights. It was an after dinner summertime family outing kind of thing, a way to beat the heat. I guess TV and air-conditioning kind of killed the it off. The watermelon stands just kind of disappeared by the mid-50's. By that time my family was making the trek to Ashburn's on Berry St. or the Howard Johnson's out on Camp Bowie for ice cream. Watermelon was no longer the thing.

#3 fortworthman

fortworthman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, Sociology, Truth.
    Mundus Vult Decepi - "The World Wants to be Deceived"

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:46 AM

Yes, I remember the one on Camp Bowie blvd. It was across from Will Rogers coliseum and not too far from Eddins small grocery store. I think? Early 1950s.

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#4 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

They were great, like to see them back. There was one on University and Whiti Settlement and one on Berry and Mansfield Rd. I think the Polio scare made the close down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users