Photo
- - - - -

A Short History Poll

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: What is 'Stop Six' (76 member(s) have cast votes)

What was the Stop Six area named for?

1. A stagecoach stop (1 votes [1.32%])

Percentage of vote: 1.32%

2. The sixth stop on the first bus route in Fort Worth (14 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

3. Stop Six on the old Interurban train line (61 votes [80.26%])

Percentage of vote: 80.26%

4. A large truck stop (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

conf.gif Stop Six is a community in Fort Worth. This poll is to see who knows what it was named for. I'm going to leave it up for 3 months to see what kind of response it gets. conf.gif
Paschal Class of 1976

#2 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:42 AM

I don't have all my materials with me on this, but I don't think that "Stop Six" was ever named as such on the Northern Texas Traction timetables.

On page 159 of Johnny Myer's "Texas Electric" book, there is a timetable that shows Sagamore Hill with the name "Stop Six" inked in. But that doesn't look right to me. It's out past Oakland.

The "6th" stop on the NTT heading east from downtown Fort Worth is Virginia Place. This assumes that Cleburne Junction was the 1st stop as listed on the timetables.

The community around that area certainly did become known as "Stop Six".

This is shown in good detail on the 1920 Charles Rogers map of Greater Fort Worth.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#3 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:11 AM

I've seen a map that has the stops numbered. Can't put my hands on it, but if I run across it I will shoot you a copy.

Or maybe it was a timetable or ticket stub. I'll find it.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#4 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

I always heard that it was because of the interurban stop but that hasn't made sense since I learned that the interurban line was way north of there.

#5 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

Whew, I'm glad that's over with. I was going to add that while browsing thru some 1920s or 1930s city directory I saw a listing for a "Stop Six Grocery" on E. Lancaster at Oakland, well north of what we call Stop Six today. Those same old directories always called Stop Six "Cowansville".

#6 Thee Fox

Thee Fox

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Ft. Worth &amp; Tarrant County history<br />History of fraternal orders

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

When I was a lad on the East side of town the story was that during the old days the
corner of E. Lancaster and Edgewood was where all the people who lived across the
T&P Railroad tracks would disembark from the Inter Urban. Since they lacked
transportation they all walked south to Rosedale, at least a mile, to get home.
Because that intersection was Stop #6, the community eventually became known by
the same name.

#7 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

I was told once (years ago) it was the sixth stop on the busline. Second choice would have been the interurban.

#8 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

In all the years I lived in Fort Worth, I heard much (mostly about crime & violence) about the Stop 6 area, but never really knew where it was or why it was called that. Of course, the number of times we ventured into Fort Worth East of the I-35W can be counted on one hand.

#9 danny

danny

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Custom Trim Contractor

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Owen @ Nov 3 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In all the years I lived in Fort Worth, I heard much (mostly about crime & violence) about the Stop 6 area, but never really knew where it was or why it was called that. Of course, the number of times we ventured into Fort Worth East of the I-35W can be counted on one hand.

stop six was the 6th stop from downtown on bus line
now it might be your last
beware stop six
dan h
AMHIK

#10 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

Stop Six was the 6th stop from downtown Fort Worth on the Interurban line. It had nothing to do with the bus line at all. In fact I don't think there were any city busses running down Front street until the late 1920's, if that early.

It was a very respectable area and was a desirable place to live in east Fort Worth. Actually most of the interurban stops had names, but many were still just commonly known by their stop number.

The 1920 & 1925 Charles Rogers maps of Greater Fort Worth show them as:

1. Cleburne Junction (Around Grafton Street where the Clebune Interurban branched off.)
2. Sycamore Creek
3. Sycamore Heights
4. College Hill
5. Tandy Lake
6. Virginia Place
7. Mona
8. Oakland
9. Sagamore Hill
10. Edgewood
11. Haines

The NTT Interurban ran on what was then private right of way in the space that is now the sourth or eastbound lanes of East Lancaster. The series of roads variously called Front Street/Dallas Pike/Bankhead Highway/State Highway #1 and eventually US Highway 80 was a fairly narrow two lane road that was not very straight or well connected until after the Interurban stopped running in 1934. At that time, with public Depression funds, East Lancaster (They renamed Front Street after 1929) was transformed into a boulevard with a wide median using the old Interurban ROW. This went as far east as the city limits.

As an aside... The Fort Worth & Cleburne Interurban and the much earlier Arlington Heights streetcar line may have been prime contributors to the much discussed surburban expansion or sprawl that seems to bother dedicated urbanistas.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

When I lived in Detroit, a community was similarly named, at least according to local lore. It was also the sixth stop, supposedly of the stagecoach line from Detroit to Chicago. Since it wasn't a community prior to the stagecoach stop, it was simply Stop No. VI. The town eventually became known as Novi. The official history tells a less interesting story though.

By the way, I didn't search for this thread; I clicked the New Content link and this was in the listing. Not the first time I've noticed this; once in a while the search engine includes old threads in the New Content search.
My blog: Doohickie

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

A new vote in the poll might cause it to show up as new content.

#13 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

I've been curious about the track location from Handley to Arlington for the Interurban. I always assumed it was just north of the current rail tracks, in the narrow paved area between Lancaster/Division and the train track. However, a map I just saw shows the Interurban crossing under the train track from the north side to the south side just east of current Loop 820. There is still an underpass present under what used to be Old Handley Rd. The map then shows the Interurban staying south of the train tracks to Arlington. Anyone know for certain?

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

I've been curious about the track location from Handley to Arlington for the Interurban. I always assumed it was just north of the current rail tracks, in the narrow paved area between Lancaster/Division and the train track. However, a map I just saw shows the Interurban crossing under the train track from the north side to the south side just east of current Loop 820. There is still an underpass present under what used to be Old Handley Rd. The map then shows the Interurban staying south of the train tracks to Arlington. Anyone know for certain?

Here is a map posted previously by Electricron showing the route in 1913, probably the one you saw

North Texas Traction Company Map

The discussion that follows has some info that might help your hunt.

#15 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, but I have seen that site. From the location of the downtown Arlington station, it does appear that the tracks ran on the south side of the rail road. So, is the pavement south of Division and north of the train track part of a very old SH #1?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users