• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DKinFW

DKinFW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

I was in the TCU B&N the other day.  I knew it was "in transition" to a different book seller, hence the abundance of empty book shelves on the first floor.  The second floor is already empty.  The new lease holder (I was told the name, but I cannot remember it) is really big into college book stores.  But the kicker is that they do not carry any "general interest" books, i.e. best sellers, cook books, children's books, etc.  They only have text books for whatever classes are scheduled at TCU. 

#2 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

The above is true--the new bookstore retailer also has a more favorable contract with TCU than B&N would agree to--so TCU told B&N to take a hike at the end of the K.

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

But the kicker is that they do not carry any "general interest" books, i.e. best sellers, cook books, children's books, etc.  They only have text books for whatever classes are scheduled at TCU.

Is this really a big deal? It's been a few years since I was in college, but ^that^ describes every college book store I've visited.

#4 CFerguson

CFerguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, music of the 20s-30s, P.G. Wodehouse

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

Follett is the new franchise operator.

#5 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

Is this really a big deal?

I guess that depends on whether you like browsing through books at a bookstore or not. 

#6 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

At my college, the book store was a little building in the middle of campus and only served the students.  99% of the books were required for one class or another.  The other items at the store were school gear.

The fact that this store was also a regular Barnes and Noble in addition to being the university bookstore, and was easily accessible to the public was kind of unique.  I would wager that since Follett is going to focus on the students is probably because there was not much draw from the non-student population and is just another sign that people don't go to bookstores like they used to.

#7 DKinFW

DKinFW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

I was in the new bookstore a few days ago.  They do have a LARGE selection of TCU gear.  Much more than the B&N had.  They also have a coffee bar, but not Starbucks.  There is a general interest section upstairs, but not nearly as large as before and a tiny area for children's books.  Will be interesting to see how or if they evolve based on customers' (non TCU students) reaction.  If enough people come in asking for a Barbara Cartland or a James Fenimore Cooper they might take notice!

#8 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

I go to the TCU bookstore many times during the course of the year.  I rarely see anyone not associated with TCU buying anything outside of TCU gear.  So to expect the general public to go to a college bookstore for general interest books seems a little far fetched to me.

#9 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

Barnes and Noble opening new concept in Plano
Coffee bar inside will serve beer and wine

http://www.star-tele...le99134642.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users