571 replies to this topic

#251 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

My comment is actually on topic (in that it mentions Amazon).  Yours, on the other hand, is more meta-discussion.

My blog: Doohickie

#252 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

My comment is actually on topic (in that it mentions Amazon).  Yours, on the other hand, is more meta-discussion.

So from a discussion about piranha fish that live in the Amazon can be actually viewed on topic with a discussion about a company seeking a second headquarters location is somehow on topic; but if not seeing any tangible correlation between a fish and a corp-relocate means that one is being meta-discussive, then yeah I'm M-D.

Discouraging  "topic drifting" seems to be too much to hope for in the pursuance of organization.

#253 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

Yes, this topic is drifting, so let's keep it back to Amazon searching for their second headquarters.

#254 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

Clicking on the thread expecting to read about a topic and finding something unrelated instead....nope, it isn't okay.

Sorry you had to get through six whole posts that were only tangentially related to the topic. 

Back to the subject at hand, I remain interested in seeing the results of Amazon's search for a 2nd corporate headquarters location.

#255 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Clicking on the thread expecting to read about a topic and finding something unrelated instead....nope, it isn't okay.

Sorry you had to get through six whole posts that were only tangentially related to the topic. 

Back to the subject at hand, I remain interested in seeing the results of Amazon's search for a 2nd corporate headquarters location.

Its okay. Suggesting that we as posters should avoid topic drifting was my objective and it was affirmed. 

I read all posts as a courtesy to all who take the time to contribute to The Forum. It is a challenge to have to sort through different posts scattered among multiple threads to post a reply.

I too am interested in Amazon's search for a 2nd corporate headquarters location. I am also interested in following the discussion about self-driving cars that has in the thread that has already been started.

#256 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Dallas has a good shot, ST article

http://www.star-tele...e184541388.html

#257 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

So, is Gordon's and his newspaper saying that Fort Worth does not have a shot?  The impression given by this article is Dallas/(whatever). What do Gordon and the newspaper mean?

For me, it is further evidence that Fort Worth is the largest city in Texas without a hometown paper.

#258 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

So, is Gordon's and his newspaper saying that Fort Worth does not have a shot?  The impression given by this article is Dallas/(whatever). What do Gordon and the newspaper mean?

For me, it is further evidence that Fort Worth is the largest city in Texas without a hometown paper.

I just think it means The Star Telegram agrees Dallas has a better chance of answering Amazon's questions. Fort Worth is a long shot... (When ST considered Fort Worth's Wendy Davis unlikely to become the Governor of Texas, did that mean Fort Worth has no hometown paper?). I think Downtown Dallas is far more suitable for Amazon.

If Fort Worth becomes the big city people visit for relaxation instead of gigantic corporate work space, that's good, preferred even. 

#259 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

I just think it means The Star Telegram agrees Dallas has a better chance of answering Amazon's questions. Fort Worth is a long shot... (When ST considered Fort Worth's Wendy Davis unlikely to become the Governor of Texas, did that mean Fort Worth has no hometown paper?). I think Downtown Dallas is far more suitable for Amazon.

If Fort Worth becomes the big city people visit for relaxation instead of gigantic corporate work space, that's good, preferred even. 

No!. You are reading your own bias into the article.

I read the article.  It really is about North Texas; and no where does it suggest that Downtown Dallas has a better chance than any other part of the region.  Where in Downtown Dallas is there a suitable location for a 400 acres project that is ready to go? Tell us.

The S-T simply used the "Twitter" rule, 40 characters or less, to make a quip. Maybe the S-T is thinking that an audience beyond North Texas will read it and be unable to place Fort Worth and will be able to place Dallas, you know "Cowboys" "Kennedy Assassination"  - The S-T is simply attempting to get more eyeballs to read the article. IMO, it is foolish.  The problem is as the S-T tries this approach it creates a backlash among the core readership of its paper when it shuns Fort Worth.

Back to the topic; the quest for Amazon is only in the first stage: Regional Bid.  When or if North Texas becomes a semi-finalist, Fort Worth will get its opportunity.  Step for step, Fort Worth will be able to match anything that any other city in the region can offer.

#260 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

I must have read a different article; the one I read cited places called Dallas-Fort Worth Region, DFW, North Texas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta and specified Dallas several times.

The article didn't mention the Perot-Hunt proposal to spread HQ2 across Victory Park to Ross Ave, but that 250-ish acres has been widely noted as the strongest candidate from the region. 

Access to labor, cost of living, college population and state tax rank being equal for all North Texas sites, Dallas falls behind fiscal health, more than makes up with culture fit...  and there's multiple existing train stations nearby with at least two more on the way.

I'm not attempting a flame war Dallas over Fort Worth with my own bias, I'm making an observation, the same one I've made here before. 

I will add, the dedication to Fort Worth revealed by individuals like renamerusk is a big part of what will keep downtown Fort Worth step for step in the running as the bidding process labors on, bias or not!

#261 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

Yes, we are reading the same article;  and yes, the article is heavy on regionalism.

The problem that I have with the piece is its headline - "Why Dallas may be the best place for Amazon's second headquarters" by Gordon Dickson

Gordon's article immediately mentions North Texas, then DFW and then pivots back to Dallas before ever properly referencing Fort Worth.  It is not until seven stanzas down into the article does he actually properly singled Fort Worth as being a possible choice.  For a hometown paper, the S-T was derelict for not positioning Fort Worth at the top of the story as any "good" hometown paper would do. Imagine for just one insane moment if in the DMN, it had published a headline "Why Fort Worth may be the best place for Amazon's second headquarters" while really meaning North Texas, DFW..etc

At this point, these particular comments are beginning to topic drift and might be better if it is steered to the thread "Fort Worth Going, gone, gone?.." for further discussion about the shrinking image of Fort Worth.

The topic about the best location for Dallas is over in the Dallas Forum where the reading of that forum is filled with stories of the several bidders in Dallas and is where greater interest about Dallas is discussed. To my knowledge none of the Dallas proposals has a leg up or even leads the pack at this stage.  One thing is true about Dallas, it could have a potential site, the Trinity River Park, but that location is only a pipe dream at this time; it will not be ready to go in 12-18 months.

#262 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

The headline "Why Dallas may be the best place for Amazon's second headquarters" is inappropriate for a Fort Worth newspaper.

-Dylan

#263 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

IS it still a "Ft. Worth newspaper" these days...?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#264 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

....I will add, the dedication to Fort Worth revealed by individuals like renamerusk is a big part of what will keep downtown Fort Worth step for step in the running as the bidding process labors on, bias or not!

Thank you Tamtagon; those are kind words. The great thing about Fort Worth is that there are many individuals beyond myself that are genuinely dedicated to Fort Worth. I am glad to be among them.

I agree with your intention to avoid a "flame storm" between Dallas and Fort Worth.  I try to remember that the two cities are not enemies; but that they are fierce and proud competitors.  Dallas is blessed with having such a bountiful supply of developers and big time dreamers.  Perhaps someday, Fort Worth will be similarly blessed.

#265 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

The latest speculation on who's who on the Amazon second-headquarters Totem Pole.  You won't find in this CNBC.com article any serious mention of Dallas (or Fort Worth, for that matter).  Except that CNBC lumps Dallas with "Austin/Houston/Dallas," whatever that means.  I guess CNBC thinks the state of Texas is a region.  But the "B-" rating next to this tri-city "region" shows they don't think it rates highly with Amazon.

https://www.cnbc.com...adquarters.html

#266 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

The latest speculation on who's who on the Amazon second-headquarters Totem Pole....

Meaningless speculation.  It is almost certain that if any one had an inkling as to how the evaluation is going; it would have already leaked to the media.  My guess is that Amazon is currently examining every proposal so that it will not look back in regret of missing out on the best location.

Too soon.  Media filling dead space.

#267 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

The Extreme Amazon Bidder Just Got Real
https://www.citylab....ot-real/546857/

Chicago: paying taxes to the boss
The most jarring incentive reportedly comes out of Chicago, which, under state law, could redirect between 50 and 100 percent of the income taxes incurred by Amazon employees right back to Amazon. In a city where income is taxed at a rate of 4.95 percent, their concession could amount to a loss of $1.32 billion that could have been spent on city schools, roads, and fire fighters.

#268 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

https://www.citylab....ot-real/546857/

Chicago: paying taxes to the boss
The most jarring incentive reportedly comes out of Chicago, which, under state law, could redirect between 50 and 100 percent of the income taxes incurred by Amazon employees right back to Amazon. In a city where income is taxed at a rate of 4.95 percent, their concession could amount to a loss of $1.32 billion that could have been spent on city schools, roads, and fire fighters.

Here, here!

#269 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Chicago: paying taxes to the boss..... their concession could amount to a loss of $1.32 billion that could have been spent on city schools, roads, and fire fighters.

Here, here!

I imagine that every five years or so, Chicago sans Amazon experiences development that would equal the impact of an Amazon; and  just imagine also what developers who regularly do projects in Chicago must be think of this give away.

#270 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

Even though has been leaked about which cities are at the top of Amazon's list, The Wall Street Journal among others leading the speculation rumor is that  North Texas, or for saving time calling it by the 6 character diminutive D-a-l-l-a-s "to conserve ink, meet deadline or speed up texting", is at or near the top.

Regardless of this diminutive, this could bode well for Cowtown.  In fact, the recently released EDP is a perfectly timed "playbill" that can be handed to Amazon, if it has been already or will be presented in Round 2 of the selection process.

I am encouraged by the fortitude of the City to seek and to hire professional consultants to provide it with a strategy;

I am encouraged with the emphasis of the City to desire to build livable neighborhoods;

I am encouraged with the City being one of the few Blue Zone Project City;

I am encouraged with the City opening in 2018 a direct connection to its International Airport;

I am encouraged with the City respecting its river and the parks that it has spun;

I am encouraged with the City having one of the Top Downtown in America;

I am encouraged with the City having the beginnings of Tier One Medical School campus;

I am encouraged with the City having now a Top 100 Law School;

I am encouraged with the City, as I have always emphasized and confirmed in the EDP, having an abundant land in the central core waiting or primed for development;

I am encouraged with the City having hire consultants from Seattle,  Austin and Portland,  which are rated as three of the more desirable cities in the U.S.;

and I am encouraged by all the top rated venues that exist right now; not promised in the future.

I have attempted, but yet to be successful, in finding if there is or ever have been an Amazon-TIP Strategies project; but for now,  I will assume that there just might be one.

If North Texas is really at or near the top, I am encouraged with Fort Worth's chance to be the one in spite of all of the recent disparaging and the downtrodden of us and who we are.

#271 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

I am encouraged with the City having the beginnings of Tier One Medical School campus;

If North Texas is really at or near the top, I am encouraged with Fort Worth's chance to be the one in spite of all of the recent disparaging and the downtrodden of us and who we are.

Personally, I'd like to see more Osteopathic medical schools & hospitals like the one in Fort Worth.

I like the humor in this flood of melodramatic responses to the EDP.  To those of us who love Fort Worth and have been calling for a change to the stagnant SOP for almost two decades, we applaud this first step acknowledgement that the downtown area has hibernated long enough.

#272 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

(1) ... to all who may be within an ear" and that you never, even as infrequently as you post, miss that opportunity when you feel that you just can not resist drubbing Fort Worth.

(1) Whatever! I read this last night and my eyes are still rolling this morning.... This obsessive paranoia over non-negative comments about Dallas is unhealthy, unproductive and hints at the quagmire Fort Worth finds itself in today.

(2) You want Fort Worth to grow more similar to Seattle and Austin? 

I am encouraged with the City having the beginnings of Tier One Medical School campus;...If North Texas is really at or near the top, I am encouraged with Fort Worth's chance to be the one in spite of all of the recent disparaging and the downtrodden of us and who we are.

(1) I like the humor in this flood of melodramatic responses to the EDP.  To those of us who love Fort Worth and have been calling for a change to the stagnant SOP for almost two decades.....

(1) "a city in a quagmire"..."a city in stagnation" - Such love? If this is an expression of love; what is the definition for disdain?  When at the time these achievements were planned or accomplished, I don't recall any laughter or "rolling eyes". Perhaps you are referring to those in "your" Dallas.

(2) Of course, Fort Worth should aspire to the likes of Seattle, Portland and Austin.  It should want to be consider in that group that  they comprise and for which they consistently rank among the top 15 large cities in the U.S. for lifestyle and live able, instead of a large city that is routinely left out of any top rankings for lifestyle or live able in spite of being a robust job center.

Mocking and laughing at Fort Worth seems irresistible for a particular gang of naysayers.

#273 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

(1) "a city in a quagmire"..."a city in stagnation" - Such love? If this is an expression of love; what is the definition for disdain?  When at the time these achievements were planned or accomplished, I don't recall any laughter or "rolling eyes". Perhaps you are referring to those in "your" Dallas.

(2) Of course, Fort Worth should aspire to the likes of Seattle, Portland and Austin.  It should want to be consider in that group that  they comprise and for which they consistently rank among the top 15 large cities in the U.S. for lifestyle and live able, instead of a large city that is routinely left out of any top rankings for lifestyle or live able in spite of being a robust job center.

Mocking and laughing at Fort Worth seems irresistible for a particular gang of naysayers.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to link me with disdain toward of Fort Worth. It's tiresome and a disservice to this discussion forum. 

#274 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

(1)..... the quagmire Fort Worth finds itself in today. ........

(2) ......the pride-hurt Fort Worth Boosters forewarning a decade of compare/contrast exercises focused on the successes found in Dallas and Collin County.....

(3) You want Fort Worth to grow more similar to Seattle and Austin?

(4)....I like the humor in this flood of melodramatic responses to the EDP.....

(5) ....the stagnant SOP for almost two decades...

(6) ....acknowledgement that the downtown area has hibernated long enough.

I'm not sure why you keep trying to link me with disdain toward of Fort Worth.  It's tiresome and a disservice to this discussion forum.

Fair question.  Why link you with disdain - Aren't these six phrases above your words? And if so, do or don't these words portray Fort Worth 

(1) as being in a"filthy place";

(2) as needing to be schooled by its neighbor who has been more of a "frienmy" than an equal partner;

(3) as deserving to be mocked for wanting to be similar to Seattle and Austin; the comment is scorn thinly veiled;

(4) as having over reacted to the point of hysterics and this is too funny its beyond belief;

(5) as having been a "do-nothing" for decades

(6) as wasting away with nothing to show?

I find each of these phrases to be words that are disdainful.  The linkage is obvious.

It is possible to cite additional words of similar tenor when the apparent aim is to perpetuate or maintain the advantage of another city over Fort Worth.  I know my incentive for wanting the best for Fort Worth; however, I don't know and therefore I am suspicious of anyone who professes a love for a city, who has no proven roots to that city, who is an active administrator of a Forum promoting the interests of another city and, who has all the incentive to champion that other city over of Fort Worth.

Exposing that double agency is tedious and unasked for, but at the same time, is a true and important service to this Forum so that the Forum is made aware of "bots" that may be manipulative.

#275 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

no, my comments do not portray Fort Worth the way you list.  you're full of horse-hockey to keep making such a leap as to interpret my comments like that. You're not suspicious, and you're being a rude person to other forum participants.

Who appointed you gate-keeper of what is and is not allowed to be said about Fort Worth on an open discussion forum? 

Edited by tamtagon, 27 December 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#276 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:41 AM

If I were Bezos I would seriously consider Panther Island.

#277 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

Unless Dallas is code for "Fort Worth", it doesn't look like we made the list of finalist...

#278 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Unless Dallas is code for "Fort Worth", it doesn't look like we made the list of finalist...

I'm pretty sure "Dallas" includes Fort Worth and all area bids. I never expected Fort Worth to be named outright. And I am not shocked we made the first cut.(In fact the joint love regional bid is over and the gloves come out now. Between Fort Worth Dallas and other bidders) But I am shocked Charlotte did not make the cut ? After all Michael Jordan wrote a letter to Jeff Bezos for HQ2 in Charlotte *sarcasm* 

#279 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

So you’re saying, We’ve got a chance!

#280 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

.@amazon names “Dallas” 1 of 20 finalists for HQ2. DFW submitted joint pitch, @CityofFortWorth eco devo dir @RobSturns reminds comm realtors 2day. “Are they speaking of dallas-proper?” #FortWorth working the phones to divine, he says. “More to come on that.” 

https://twitter.com/JScottNishimura

#281 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

I'm pretty sure "Dallas" includes Fort Worth and all area bids. I never expected Fort Worth to be named outright. And I am not shocked we made the first cut.(In fact the joint love regional bid is over and the gloves come out now. Between Fort Worth Dallas and other bidders) 

That it's correct. According to today's Dallas Business Journal report, "North Texas submitted a unified bid for the campus that included at least 35 different sites around the region." Fort Worth Business Press hasn't posted any news about it yet.

#282 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

The one time that forumers are happy to potentially lump Fort Worth into the umbrella name of Dallas. :laugh:

My personal opinion is that Fort Worth's Panther Island and Dallas' Texas Central Railroad Station are the two leading options of the 35 DFW locations submitted.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#283 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

If Amazon is lumping metros together why does D.C. (NOVA & Montgomery Co) have 3 separate spots and NYC with two (Newark)?

Also, gotta wonder what Houston getting left off means for DFW. Houston has a lot in common with DFW.

#284 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

The one time that forumers are happy to potentially lump Fort Worth into the umbrella name of Dallas. :laugh:

My personal opinion is that Fort Worth's Panther Island and Dallas' Texas Central Railroad Station are the two leading options of the 35 DFW locations submitted.

Huh ? I am in no way "happy" Fort Worth is under the Dallas umbrella. Living here all my life I know the media runs fast and loose with what they call "Dallas". TCU in Dallas. Lockheed Martin in Dallas. Dallas has a population of seven Million and so on...Not my fault if the media is lazy or cannot read a map. It is just the reality of how the media reports the going ons of the Fort Worth Dallas area. 

News 8 just did a live interview with Fort Worth Mayor Price. and FWC Gengelbach. They seem convinced that Fort Worth and other area bidders are under the "Dallas" short list. But not certain ?  They talked about no matter what local city wins it. We all win. In other words. Regionalism.     

#285 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

My comment was strictly tongue in cheek. I thought the emoticon expressed that.

Here's the FWBP article: http://www.fortworth...879c42e5c5.html

I notice that the Austin proposal is also regional. It sounds like the announcement today was not specific enough to narrow it down to specific sites.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#286 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

I'm completely and thoroughly shocked Fort Worth didn't make Amazon's short list! [/sarcasm]

If Amazon is lumping metros together why does D.C. (NOVA & Montgomery Co) have 3 separate spots and NYC with two (Newark)?

Also, gotta wonder what Houston getting left off means for DFW. Houston has a lot in common with DFW.

This tells me Fort Worth has been eliminated. If Amazon were seriously considering Fort Worth, they would know they should refer to the region as "Dallas-Fort Worth," or list both cities separately like with the above examples.

-Dylan

#287 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

This kind of confusion is why Fort Worth should've bid as an independent metro anchor.

We may have been eliminated if we did that, but at least Amazon would've noticed us. We're overlooked being part of a "Dallas" bid.

-Dylan

#288 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

Apples second campus, will not conduct an auction like Amazon
Unlikely to be located in California or Texas
https://www.reuters....n-idUSKBN1F734U

#289 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Still another article on this issue, this one with a moralistic argument somewhat akin to market capitalism versus social welfare.  But the author, Richard Florida, does not think highly of Dallas as a competitor, not in his top 5.  Incidentally I believe we've had discussions in this Forum in the past about Professor Florida's social urban philosophy.

https://www.cnn.com/...nion/index.html

#290 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

My guess all along is that Amazon isn't going to pick another Seattle.  Boston is basically another Seattle...coastal, colder climate, high cost of living.  One point of a 2nd HQ, outside of the logistical/economic considerations, is to give employees a choice to have a different lifestyle.  I have feeling that cost of living, warmer climate, and a more family-friendly environment will be important considerations for Amazon.  The D.C. suburbs seem like a better fit than NY or Boston, and I'd give Raleigh, Atlanta and DFW a decent chance as well.

His points on clustering multiple options around D.C. and New York are well-taken, which is why I'd give D.C. suburbs the edge at this point.

#291 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

The ST editorial board thinks teaming up with Dallas is the way to victory.

http://www.star-tele...e196056199.html

#292 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

Apparently one of the sites in the North Texas option was Panther Island?  Wouldn't it be funny if they said "Dallas" but they end up at Panther Island!  :D

#293 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

If they did that, the city should demand that they clarify their location as Fort Worth.

#294 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Of course if HQ2 is built inside Dallas city limits. That would be good. That means TCU, Texas Wesleyan, SMU, North Texas, Texas Woman's grads will have jobs in Dallas. And Dallas will keep building more and more skyscrapers. While in Fort Worth ? Well pretty much the same as always as before. :glare:   

#295 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

If they did that, the city should demand that they clarify their location as Fort Worth.

I'd let them build some buildings and move some people here before I made that big of a deal about it.  ;)

#296 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

I'd let them build some buildings and move some people here before I made that big of a deal about it.  ;)

It'd be like American Airlines, HQ in FtW but always being labeled as a Dallas company

#297 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

If we get the economic benefits, I don't care if they call it Omaha.

#298 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

if that is what it takes to get more companies serious enough to relocate here, Im all for it. of course soon we'd need to 'officially' break off from Dallas somehow...

#299 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

What a load of bull crap!

The editorial board is flat out wrong about national media outlets treating Fort Worth a contender for Amazon HQ2.

Most online articles about HQ2 don't mention Fort Worth at all.

-Dylan

#300 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

The sad thing is, the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce is hoping to attract new companies with our new-found non-existent media exposure.

-Dylan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users