#1 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

Brian,
I just wanted to be among the first to congratulate you on the weather photos you took last evening which are now getting national exposure. Yahoo! online news as well as the National TV networks featured your exceptional photos showing multiple transformer explosions in brilliant lights and colors. Odd coincidence: I just happened to be standing out on my front porch as this event was unfolding. Although the bursts of light were below our horizon line, I noticed the brilliant colors and called my wife out to take a look. We both looked at them in awe thinking this was a really strange form of lightning. I made a couple of remarks about unusual forms of lightning such as St. Elmo's fire and so-called "ball" lightning which is a charge of static electricity that "floats" sometimes near ground level. I recall as a child a ball lightning charge collided with the screen window in my parent's bedroom sending sparks and a burning odor all over the room. The screen had scorch marks all over it. But your video of the exploding transformers was one of the strangest weather related images in a year already notable for significant and unusual weather phenomena. Again, congratulations for capturing a unique event on camera-let's hope there will be more to come from the ideal perspective of your elevated vantage point.

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Brian,
I just wanted to be among the first to congratulate you on the weather photos you took last evening which are now getting national exposure. Yahoo! online news as well as the National TV networks featured your exceptional photos showing multiple transformer explosions in brilliant lights and colors. Odd coincidence: I just happened to be standing out on my front porch as this event was unfolding. Although the bursts of light were below our horizon line, I noticed the brilliant colors and called my wife out to take a look. We both looked at them in awe thinking this was a really strange form of lightning. I made a couple of remarks about unusual forms of lightning such as St. Elmo's fire and so-called "ball" lightning which is a charge of static electricity that "floats" sometimes near ground level. I recall as a child a ball lightning charge collided with the screen window in my parent's bedroom sending sparks and a burning odor all over the room. The screen had scorch marks all over it. But your video of the exploding transformers was one of the strangest weather related images in a year already notable for significant and unusual weather phenomena. Again, congratulations for capturing a unique event on camera-let's hope there will be more to come from the ideal perspective of your elevated vantage point.

Thanks John!

I have never seen anything like ball lightning. Fascinating stuff. (Big time juice)

My video on YOUTUBE has gone viral. Check out the number of views in the first 22 hours!

My inbox is lighting up. People from all over. Producers at ABC, MSNBC ETC... They want to interview me. A company in London wants to buy the video. (He doesn't know I took 5 different videos!!!
www.fortworthview.com

#3 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

[/quote]

Thanks John!

I have never seen anything like ball lightning. Fascinating stuff. (Big time juice)

My video on YOUTUBE has gone viral. Check out the number of views in the first 22 hours!

My inbox is lighting up. People from all over. Producers at ABC, MSNBC ETC... They want to interview me. A company in London wants to buy the video. (He doesn't know I took 5 different videos!!!
[/quote]

Brian,
Well, you create a world-class video(s) of something never seen before and in this Internet Age the world is going to beat a path to your door. (figuratively speaking, I sincerely hope) Why not just "go with the flow" and enjoy the whole experience-I hear London is lovely this time of the year. That video on YOUTUBE was also featured on Yahoo! News for a while and I believe I saw it on the NBC evening news yesterday as well. To me, the video brought back images from recent Sci-Fi movies that cost tons of money to create yet you got it all for free because you were in the right place at exactly the right time to capture a once-in-a-lifetime visual spectacle. I still don't fully understand what caused such a prolonged electric fireworks show but one of Oncor's engineers might be able to explain it. I've seen a transformer blow up before and while it produced a blinding white light, there were no blues, greens, yellows, reds, as observed in your videos. If I hadn't seen it myself from our front porch I might be a skeptic. Again, congratulations, and please, don't forget to put in a little plug for Cowtown if this thing takes you to other places. Maybe you can roll this over into some kind of specific photography project or distill it into a coffee table book showing Fort Worth's unique weather phemomena-I know I've seen other weather-related photos you've taken displayed on local TV stations during their weathercasts (as well as the nice ones on the Fort Worth Forum) so you should have quite a collection to select from. Thanks for sharing your highly personal perspective and best wishes for wherever this thing takes you.

#4 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

225,088 views at 4:26pm 12May2011

Ok... now you can tell us where the lights were coming from...direction ??

Noticed that the light bursts were 1/2 mile apart ?

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#5 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

EDIT: Are these confirmed Ball lightening ??

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#6 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

Shoot 360. I just realized I did not even mention it on YOUTUBE.

I was on my balcony (the one on 34) and looking due East. The first blast (I noticed anyway) was at I-30 and Oakland. Or very close to that. Then it spread North. It all took like 25 minutes. I have 5 videos. Have only posted one. Stand by. But not ball lightning. Just transformers exploding.

Funny. Have never had a "Viral" kind of video on YOUTUBE. The comments are nuts and at times maddening. Many people think the video is fake. They are giving my video skill way too much credit. Just my camera on a tripod. Did not even know how to adjust color or brightness or anything. But no tricks. Was a crazy deal. I do wonder why I have received an e-mail from most of the people in the United States (all over the world, really, I have had to GOOGLE translate even) but have not been contacted by Encore Delivery. Happy to give them the hi-res version on a DVD if they ask. Can't believe they would not find it interesting/ frightening/ informative/ useful/ tasty. (Kidding about that last one.)
www.fortworthview.com

#7 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

I saw a single transformer blow in a park near my old house, once the transformer went, the lines near each other, next to the transformer started arching together turning bright red then melting and arching some more, went on for about 10 minutes. Looked similar to some sections of that show.

...I actually have a video in the same spot about a year ago, but just one or two sparks that lasted maybe 30 seconds and I didn't have the lens to pull it in. "Lens Envy"

The YouTube visit numbers are growing exponentially, might be close to a million by morning.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#8 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Brian,

You are going to be the photo-video man! Cool

#9 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

Brian,

You are going to be the photo-video man! Cool

Thanks Mike. It has been a busy, crazy 2 days. Hundreds of e-mails, requests for interviews etc...

I am very grateful I caught it all but really was just being at the right place at the right time. And being dumb enough to be out on the balcony in a thunderstorm...

Funny, on YOUTUBE most think it is all fake. People are pretty jaded to to digital trickery. If I ever do catch that UFO landing in Sundance Square I won't even bother to post it!
www.fortworthview.com

#10 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

If I ever do catch that UFO landing in Sundance Square I won't even bother to post it!

I understand... but please post it here for us-we believe! :wink:

#11 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

I think my YOUTUBE was the most viewed video in the world today.

If you want to see it, no problem. IT IS NUMBER ONE AND TOP OF THEIR HOMEPAGE. (Trends)

Also, they contacted me this morning about revenue sharing. I agreed and enrolled in their ad program. I get 12¢ every time somebody clicks the link! (Except for me. dangit.)

It is not the most viewed video. Just today. Turns out yesterday too. (Not total, totals, just recent.)

Over a HALF MILLION hits so far. Many people think the video is fake. That controversy helps the popularity! (100% real of course)
This thing is getting big. Hard to work with my phone ringing. Interviews etc... Can't concentrate.

I have dozens of people knocking off my video. I wish I understood what I was doing. I have had DOZENS of requests from music studios wanting to put music to it. (I suspect garage studios, but I don't know.)

Edited to add this...
http://www.star-tele...o-soars-to.html
www.fortworthview.com

#12 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

Brian, I did my part. You have just now earned another 12.

#13 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:07 AM

Brian,
Great news and I will get you another .12 Remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry had hand cramps signing all of his .12 checks from a deal he had in Japan.

#14 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Brian,
Might be time to get an agent to handle all of this and help get you the best deals out there. I don't know of any,(agents) but this might be a unique opportunity to turn a tidy profit from the video-I especially like the idea of setting it to music. One thing's for sure-none of us will probably ever see something like this again-Lady Luck is again smiling on you. Hope is all works out for the best. Better go myself and make you another 12 cents...

#15 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Brian, congrats on the video. I saw it on Reddit soon after you posted it. If you get too discouraged about the comments on youtube, there are some half intelligent comments on the reddit thread. Here is the link: http://www.reddit.co...n_of_exploding/

congrats again.

#16 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

Was tough being gone all day today. (Election Judge)

The money I am going to get from my video is not as great as I thought. It is based on somebody clicking an ad that they add. I mostly get 48 cents each time, but less than 1% clicks any ad.

It is still racking up nicely. And just extra money that was not expected. Pretty fun. I think the 12 cents was supposed to be an average. But only if like a quarter of the people click an ad. (pipe dream)

I have hundreds of emails to answer (or dispose of) since I was gone all day. I am trying to answer nice people that have a question. (Even if it is "Have there been UFO sightings in your area before this event?") Plenty of wacky people. My wife said, "if these people are putting money in our pocket by hammering the video, than the answer is, Yes. We see quite a lot of UFO's out this way..."

I am guessing a third of the people watching the video think it is UFO related. (They see two UFO's in the scene.) I do not know what the two objects in the sky are. I assumed they were like news choppers. Of course if they were, where is their footage? So really, I don't know what they are. I think they come and go only because the rain starts and stops and gets blown in the wind making them more and less visible. I mean, UFO's MOST LIKELY!

It is still amazing to me how it seems most people think the video is fake. Of course it may just seem like that because they are more likely to respond than the people the know it is real. If my skills were good enough to make that video, I would not be wasting my time on YOUTUBE. I would be a filmmaker.

The comments range the whole gamut. From, "God Bless you and your family for giving us this great footage" to, "I am going to come to the 34th floor of your building to rape and rob you." I am not exaggerating on those. (verbatim.)
www.fortworthview.com

#17 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

Aren't the odd lights above a lens reflection, thought those were common on shuttle launches, aviation photography and the like. They seem to bounce with your camera bounces...

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#18 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

Was interviewed by The Examiner on Monday.

http://www.examiner....ur-photographer

Update on my video. I have 930,000 views. I am still getting a couple hundred e-mails a day. (Down from like 400 an hour last Friday.) I was deleting a hundred at a time without reading them. 95% were, "Do you think it was UFO's?" and "Let me tell you why the video is completely fake" messages. I get many messages from overseas that I have to "Google Translate."

I am still dealing with HUNDREDS of people copying my video an posting it as it was theirs. I can take them down, and do, mostly. Everybody on this Forum knows I share my photos and videos freely as I am not a professional. (I do play one on TV) But people stealing my video and calling it theirs is where I put an end to it. Funny, there is an semi-automated method for YOUTUBE to remove people stealing your copyrighted material. (starts with providing a link to your original video and their copy along with a statement that it is your video) Some of those people get really mad at me. I explain to them that I would be happy for you to just provide a link to my video, but copying it and calling it your own is stealing.) On YOUTUBE, the second time you get caught stealing somebody else's video you are banned from YOUTUBE. (I am sure they start another channel in a different name, but they lose their friends and followers and views etc...)

I have been too busy to post my other (Exploding transformers) videos. Plus I do not want to dilute my original video that I am getting revenue sharing on. After going through a few hour spell thinking I was going to get 50k for revenue share, it now looks like 2k. (Had $1,200 Monday when I logged in to Google's Ad-Sense) I will take it for sure. I think I will take my remaining videos and combine in to one video. I have a few videos better than the one I posted. (I was just trying to rush something to the media for the morning news stations and had know I did it would become THE Fort Worth Video.) I also figure more people recorded the event. There were two other guys that did, to my knowledge. Surprised. I think because the area is low you really needed to be high up to get much.
www.fortworthview.com

#19 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

Brian, having seen enough arc flash occurances in my working life, I have no doubt what you were videoing was arc flash and not green men invading from Mars. What makes what you filmed unusual is how the flashes occured over a wide area. Makes me think it was a power line with several transformers that were lost, and the lines kept arcing as wind blew them around.

Funny how some folk will jump to the most unlikely conclusion (UFO) while completely overlooking the obvious. While I've seen things in the sky before I can't explain, it doesn't give me the hubrus to declare across the board that what I saw was a UFO.

#20 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

I still think it was UFOs. There's no way those aren't UFOs.

:rolleyes:
My blog: Doohickie

#21 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

$2k in income for something that you do as a hobby is nothing to sneeze at! Great videos.

And youtube seems to be the final resting place for the worst trolls the web has to offer. I'm always amazed at the lack of comment moderation.

#22 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

I still think it was UFOs. There's no way those aren't UFOs.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's sad to find out that our normally-reliable Brian is involved in this cover-up. :D ;)

Looked like they were signally to a mother ship. "Weather's a bit sticky, hold off until the dry season."

#23 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:33 PM

I am converting to a UFO freak. I got an e-mail today (2) from a TV Network (That would cater to such things) that wants to buy my video for a prime time show that they have. They did not say they want to use it or license it. They want to own it.

I really wish they would just tell me how much money they are talking about. Mostly, because, who knows what it is worth. I do think I caught something really unusual that nobody else caught. (besides an i-phone clip)

I am pretty sure it is worth money. But that range is $500. to 100K. Really. I just don't know what I would sell it for. Assuming it is not mine to use any longer. I am guessing I could keep it on YOUTUBE... and let my Google AdSense bucks trickle in for a year. (Years, maybe.) Could be that being on "That Network" would drive my YOUTUBE views through the roof. I just don't know. But I am pretty easy. Unless they offer me 50 bucks, I sure might just say yes. Of course, maybe if I offered it to others I would have a better idea what it might be worth. Sure could be the network that wants it, is the only one that would... Shoot, most of the other networks have already shown it for free. True, the short, lo res version from youtube.
www.fortworthview.com

#24 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

If you're serious, get an agent.... they will know what it's worth and also can rep you on other images and videos..

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#25 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

I'd stick to licensing it, they want to own it because if you remove the parts that actually look like transformer and power line arcs, some parts look very odd and would make VERY enticing teasers to pull someone in. You could segment it into more clips and refinish it just like you do a photo to tailor to different audiences or markets.

An optimum solution would be to have it included in the opening credits of a daily show or series, preferably something in syndication, then you get a tiny check every time it's aired.

Then again, if you can't market it.

If you find a good agent please share, I have a lot of footage I need to put to some good use.

#26 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

I should call this the brag page. Kind of fun stuff,

http://www.examiner....ur-photographer
www.fortworthview.com

#27 Brandi Korte

Brandi Korte

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

Way to go Brian! i'm just glad that others are enjoying your amazing talents as much as we do here in Fort Worth!

#28 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

Way to go Brian! i'm just glad that others are enjoying your amazing talents as much as we do here in Fort Worth!

Thank you Brandi. Too kind.

If I could focus on my work as much as my photography I would be in a lot less hot water... I sure do envy people that can earn a living doing something they like.
www.fortworthview.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users