• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

Just FYI of more particularity:  After I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (and maybe Internet Explorer, I can't remember), I've been unable to download anything in a post in the Forum.  No newspaper articles, no photos, etc.  All the Forum's editing functions do not work.  Can't copy or paste anything.  No quoting previous posters, either.  Someone in another thread suggested I use another browser until Microsoft has a patch to correct this.  When, or if, that will be, who knows?  Unfortunately, I don't have another browser.  I don't believe this is a fault with the Forum's website tech, but I've discovered that I can copy and paste on my Facebook page.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,417 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

The Forum software was upgraded several weeks ago to the latest version, so the forum is up to date.

#3 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

I am using Google Chrome version 35 browser and when selecting text like writing here. I can select highlight, then  left mouse button press and hold, drag and drop to other locations in this text writing box.

[edit 1:47pm  IE 11 version 11.0.10]

When switching browsers to IE 11 I can not select the above text string "I can select......" using the Ctrl C and V keyboard commands.

What more I can not select the above string "I can select...." then use the above toolbar icons for 'copy and paste'

Conclusion:  IE 11 is probably preventing using its copy to clipboard feature while Google Chrome is not so restrictive.

While in this forum maybe there is an IE 11 Tools | Internet option | SECURITY feature that need's fixing to allow use of its clipboard temporary storage area.

[edit 1:59p]

While still in IE 11, I did visit Pano2vr photography forum and I was able to use IE 11's clipboard function and properly successfully completed a select, copy drag and drop of text.

So it might be a combination of IE 11 and Fort Worth Architecture.com forum.. just not playing nice together.  Maybe this forums IP Board 3.4.6 software is preventing IE 11 copy to clip board and paste function.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#4 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

If you search Google (or your preferred Internet search engine) for "IE11 copy/paste" you will see that this is a widely-reported issue.

For this forum, the situation is this: we use Invision Power Board (IPB) as our forum software. IPB uses CKEditor as the editor used to create forum posts. IE11 has made changes (including, as Dave reported, default access to the clipboard) that are causing issues with the CKEditor plugin used by the forum's IPB software.

CKEditor has released a new version of their plugin that is reported to address the IE11 changes (I believe in part by asking IE11 to act like it's actually IE10). That version of CKEditor is not available in the most recent IPB version, but will be included in a future release. We still don't know when that will be.

In the meantime, some have used the following workarounds:

• Click the little light switch icon in the upper-left corner of the editor to toggle the editor to the basic plain-text format. You can toggle it back and forth as needed if you like, although that may get annoying at some point. And the plain-text version may include "BBCode" tags that can be confusing if you're not familiar with them.
  • A few people have had success with modifying IE11's security settings to allow clipboard access, but this did not work for many from what I can tell.
  • Some have reported that putting IE11 in Compatibility Mode for sites experiencing the issue has helped.
  • Some have had success by disabling various IE add-ins, but that may only have worked for copy/paste errors with other sites and not for the CKEditor.
  • Many have downloaded and installed another browser.

Again, this is regarding the copy/paste issue. I'm not sure if the inability to quote posts is related.

#5 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

As he mentioned: 

(I believe in part by asking IE11 to act like it's actually IE10).

In IE 11 go to  the http://fortwortharchitecture.com/forum site then look up to browser top left corner tool bar and click [Tools]  then select [Compatibility View Settings]

You should see that Add this Website 'fortwortharchitecture.com' is already written in the text box  then click [Add] .

This will add this forum URL to the compatibility list of sites that IE 11 will revert to IE 10

All check boxes below the list should be selected

Then click the [close] button and return to the forum.  You might have to restart IE for the changes to go into effect.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Nope.  Followed your instructions, 360Texas.com, but it didn't work.  I can't even copy and paste anything I write in this post (let alone from a Microsoft Word document).  And I clicked on "Quote" hoping to include your quote for my reply.  As you can see, that didn't work, either.

#7 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for trying.  I noticed that it didn't work for me too.   I switched to using Google Chrome browser few months ago.

I am waiting for Microsoft to fix IE  !  That said, I may never go back to IE.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#8 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

I should download Google Chrome.  However, I downloaded it once before and didn't like its intrusive and monopolistic attitude.   And it piggybacks in a host of apps I don't care for.

#9 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

I use Firefox, though I haven't had issues on this site with IE.

-Dylan

#10 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

Much has changed over last few years. Were you using IE 8, 9, 10 or 11 or do not recall ?

Thanks for your help in advanced.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#11 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Much has changed over last few years. Were you using IE 8, 9, 10 or 11 or do not recall ?

Thanks for your help in advanced.

I'm posting this using the desktop version (IE 10), but I guess his issue was with the touch version (IE 11).

My IE 11 (touch version) somehow disappeared a while back, but I rarely used it even before switching to Firefox (I used IE 10) since it was not mouse / cursor friendly. I try to stay in desktop mode while using Windows 8.

-Dylan

#12 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for trying.  I noticed that it didn't work for me too.   I switched to using Google Chrome browser few months ago.

I am waiting for Microsoft to fix IE  !  That said, I may never go back to IE.

I'm using Google Chrome now.

#13 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

FYI, not about Windows 8.1 but about the Google Chrome browser and this website.  Today, while browsing here via Google Chrome, I've noticed that the entire "Planning" section of the Forum is missing.  When I went back to the Forum via Internet Explorer, the Planning section was where it's supposed to be.  Any of you IT nerds have any idea about this?

#14 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Using PC Win8.1 -> IE 11  and I just now updated Google Chrome to 40.0.2214.111m.  Actually, Chrome interrupted me to automatically download the new version.

You can check your version of Chrome by clicking far right top  3 horizontal black bar Menu Icon.  Then look down the list for "About Google Chrome"

I see its still there ->> in between:

Projects and New Construction

Planning

Photography

IF the section is collapsed the separator bar is faded.

Mouse over the collapsed separator bar and a - / + circle appears.

The collapsed separator bars can be maximized by clicking on the far right of bar end 

Click the + to expand and - to collapse the section.  

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

:smwink: Thanks, much obliged!  I didn't even know I had inadvertently clicked on a "collapse" feature while in the Google Chrome browser (which is why the "Planning" section was still visible while using my Internet Explorer browser).  The only reason I'm switching between browsers when I post in this Forum is because the Windows 8.1 screwed up my copy/paste, etc. features related to Internet Explorer utility.  (P.S., sorry if I offended you or anyone by calling for help from an "IT nerd"; term was used only with good-natured humorous intent).

• JBB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users