• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Recently I found this web forum during a search and found several posts regarding architecture by my grandfather, Wiley G Clarkson. During some clean out of my mother's house, I came across a portfolio that was used by my grandfather sometime after 1927. I am posting a link to a web page I have set up that has a biography and scans of the portfolio. I will be adding photos of later projects as I have time to drive to Ft. Worth and make photos.

http://www.clarksons...ck_clarkson.htm

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

Outstanding. I'll need to switch to a better laptop to have a good look at everything on that site, but it looks incredible. I'll go out on a limb and say that this will be a pretty popular post. Keep em coming. And welcome to the forum.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

I looked at all of the photographs and I really enjoyed taking a look at some of Fort Worth's Landmarks close to the time when they were completed. Thanks for joining and posting these. Welcome to the Forum.

#4 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the good comments and the welcome. I am in the process of obtaining more information on my grandfather's projects. It is amazing how many are still in use and in good condition today. The photos in his portfolio are fascinating in the details included with many of them. I am a lover of old photography for the historical details. As I compile a list of my grandfather's designs after the time frame of his portfolio, I will be making trips into Ft Worth to photograph those I don't have and add them to my web site. I anticipate that when I have time to do this I will also photograph many of the buildings and homes in the portfolio and have a "then and now page". If anyone knows of buildings and homes designed by my grandfather not represented on the present web page, I would appreciate it very much if you would pass the info along either here or by regular email.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Have you gone through every building listing I have on the main site of www.fortwortharchitecture.com? When I have the information, I have listed all of the architects of each building. However, the only drawback is that I'm currently not listing residences. Several of the homes that you have shown on your site are just a few blocks away from me on Elizabeth Blvd. Also, several of the houses have been demolished.

Another great resource on Fort Worth's buildings is the multi-volume Tarrant County Historic Resource Survey. Historic Fort Worth, Inc. (of which I'm a Board Member) has the ownership of those books and they are for sale, if you want the older print versions. The Southside is out of print. We are currently digitizing surveys and updating them on our web site. You have to be a member of Historic Fort Worth to view the updated surveys. That website is www.historicfortworth.org.

#6 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

John,

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it. I just finished rescanning the pages of the portfolio to make them appear better when looking at the higher resolution images. I wish I could have started this project while my mother was still able to help but hindsight and foresight. She saved huge amounts of information over the years but in her later years it became lost or mixed into other stuff and at 90 she is no longer able to help.

#7 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have been doing some digging into my mother's horde of old papers and come up with a partial list of my grandfather's many projects from the years of 1912 to 1947. He stated in one letter he had done over 1200 projects by 1947, and many of the projects I have records were large, involved projects. I have listed all the projects that I have found a record for so there are probably about 1100 more I don't have a record of! This digging has been quite a trip into family history for me because I did not know this information! Here's the link to the web page. http://www.clarksons...gc projects.htm

#8 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Wiley,
Thanks for posting about your Grandfather. I knew the name since I have been a member of Fort Worth Lodge #148 in the Masonic Temple building for the last 26 years. It along with the old Cooks Childrens Hospital next door are great buildings. Look forward to hearing more and seeing any photos.

Mike

#9 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

I just finished updating my web page again. I found another letter written in Oct 1916 that listed more names of clients for whom he had designed houses in Fort Worth. Some very interesting names mentioned in these letters! Some were duplications but others I had not seen before. My youngest daughter is pretty sure she found the Kirkpatrick house in San Angelo that was built in 1913. It is still occupied and in good condition. Will know more about that in mid September.

My grandfather was a member of the Julian Field Blue Lodge. I have never been in Masonry. My mother, at 90, thinks my father was a Mason also (probably the same lodge)but apparently he quite going after my grandfather passed away in 1952, if he was a member. I can't find any info on that. I sent an email to the lodge the other day using an email address on their web site but have not had an answer.

#10 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

I have made a few more additions to my web pages on my grandfather. Talk about a huge undertaking! The most recent addition is an index to all jobs in his storage area. Unfortunately there are no dates but it is quite a few pages long. I have scanned it in as a pdf and it can be viewed and downloaded at the following address:

http://www.clarksons...ojectsindex.pdf

or just go to http://www.clarksons.org and follow the links to the "Projects" page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users