Photo
- - - - -

Fort Worth the brewery and distillery capital of North Texas?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

From "Hell's Half-Acre" saloons of the 1880s to the modern contemporary Rahr & Sons brewery, Ace Distillery, and Firestone and Robertson distillery operations, Fort Worth is making its alcoholic beverage mark in North Texas and may be nationally.  I like Bourbon Whiskey, their new blend coming to our area courtesy of Firestone and Robertson.  Others may have a more puritanical view, of course.

http://www.fortworth...14b55e985a.html

#2 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

Look forward to trying it.  I've always enjoyed Jack Daniels but about a year ago switched to Evan Williams on the recommendation of several bourbon connoisseurs.  I actually like it better and it's over 50% less expensive which makes it even better.

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

New brewery/taproom opened last weekend:  HopFusion, at the corner of Broadway and Bryan.  Their taproom is open Thu-Fri 5-11, Sat 2-11.  Their intent is to ramp up to 6 days a week.

My blog: Doohickie

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:49 AM

Great comments about beverages and competitors.   But I was hoping to generate some controversial remarks about this aspect of Fort Worth's image (I know we discuss image in another thread), as...maybe...a city issue.  Any teatotalers out there got somethin' agin' FW becomin' like Milwaukee?

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I doubt it.  This forum leans pretty socially liberal, so I think you're looking for opposition that isn't really here. 

I think it's a good development.  The breweries and distilleries that have popped up in recent years seemed to have developed a pretty healthy following and most are driving traffic to areas that have needed it.  I wouldn't necessarily say that Fort Worth is the capital of breweries and distilleries in Texas since they're popping up all over.  There are just as many in Dallas, Denton, and scattered around the suburbs: http://www.beerinbig...eer-events.html

Ironic that you mention Milwaukee since Fort Worth has had a Miller brewery for 50 years.  And one of the more successful local craft brewers (Revolver in Granbury) recently sold out to Miller.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

Great comments about beverages and competitors.   But I was hoping to generate some controversial remarks about this aspect of Fort Worth's image (I know we discuss image in another thread), as...maybe...a city issue.  Any teatotalers out there got somethin' agin' FW becomin' like Milwaukee?

Any separate aspect is impossible to achieve.

Nationally, Fort Worth' s image has been completely folded within "D/fw" and only exists now among the small number of us who contribute and read this Forum.  Google "how robust is the Fort Worth commercial real estate market; or flights from Fort Worth to anywhere; or employment in Fort Worth?" as evidence.

If the hard work and efforts of the local breweries and distillers, by chance become recognized, it will be known in any direction beyond 20 miles as the Dallas/Fort Worth Brewery/Distillery Industry. :glare:

By the way, haven't you done enough already...hehehe.  :swg:   And please leave Dallas out of it; lest you like condescending, overbearing attitudes.

.... For many years downtown Dallas has been notable as the region's financial center.  Maybe we can give Dallas some competition in this area.

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:26 PM

Yes I do.  Please, please, please don't make mass market beer like Schlitz or Milwaukee's Best.  :wink:  :throwupen: 

I'd rather see a bunch of small craft brewers and brew pubs.

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

If you go to HopFusion, here's a pro tip:  Order a "Feisty Slipper".  It's a blend of their Feisty Blonde American Ale (with honey) and Fur Slipper Milk Stout.  It's an amazing blend.

#9 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

As much as I would like to have supported Revolver, that really tasted nasty to me but again, when Carling opened up on Will Rogers which is now Millers/Coors it wasn't the best of taste either.  Probably personal taste.  I do support any mass market with it's roots in Fort Worth as long as it's legal but I certainly see the smaller micro and independents having a important role in the community. 

#10 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:07 PM

Wild Acre Brewing is opening "a second manufacturing facility" in Ridglea. They're hoping to be open by year's end. https://www.guideliv...o-working-space

#11 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

Interesting report in the Star-Telegram:
Your favorite craft brewery could be increasing your property value. Heres how.

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

Collective Brewery is closing

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the Collective Brewery.  I do have an update on Wild Acre on Camp Bowie.  It's the new year and they still haven't opened.  The construction is proceeding slowly.

#14 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

Collective Brewery is closing

Nice place, not my favorite beers by any means but I did appreciate that there was variety in town. Hopefully another brewery can take the space.

#15 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

I know their specialty was Sours but I don't think many people are a fan of that type of beer, me included, so they kind of pigeon-holed themselves by not offering anything else besides that.  Too bad. It was a really cool space.

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:23 AM

I'm sure something else will move into that space before too long.

#17 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

I know their specialty was Sours but I don't think many people are a fan of that type of beer, me included, so they kind of pigeon-holed themselves by not offering anything else besides that.  Too bad. It was a really cool space.

Since they were doing wild sours, they didn't have much a choice of doing "regular" beers. Once you go there, there is no going back unless you are going to keep two separate brewing spaces.

#18 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

Fort Worth brewery will open experimental tasting room at Texas Live! next month

So Revolver is a "Fort Worth brewery" now instead of Granbury?

#19 David_H

David_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

Fort Worth brewery will open experimental tasting room at Texas Live! next month

I'd much prefer this be an outlet for one of our great DFW owned craft brewers than a global conglomerate. 

I guess money talks, right? 

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

I'd much prefer this be an outlet for one of our great DFW owned craft brewers than a global conglomerate. 

I guess money talks, right? 

https://www.brewboun...ore-lineup-cans

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:39 PM

Revolver isn't a craft brewery anymore it was bought out Miller Coors.

#22 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:51 PM

I'm thinking now that a lot of the new breweries are actually sports bars that tout fancier beer brands.  No criticism of that, but now I believe these new establishments do not alter Fort Worth's image in a negative sense as I thought it would when I started this post.

For example, last night I was a customer at Cowtown Brewery at East Belknap and North Hampton.  A lively sports bar atmosphere with an appetizing menu of smoked meats.  I first tasted a hearty pale beer then switched to a weaker variety.  Pretty good crowd there and, for entertainment, something called "music bingo."  Just so happens my niece performed the music bingo, she's a lively and energetic entertainer.  But, unless your religion prohibits the consumption of alcohol, this establishment and the others will not transform Fort Worth into a modern-day Hells Half Acre.

#23 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 09:18 AM

Dallas' Bishop Cider is buying Wild Acre ( & Legal Draft from Arlington), planning expansions, and it sounds like moving their HQ to Ft Worth?

"TexBev, a beverage co-packing company owned by Bishop Cider, is expected to relocate from a facility in Dallas to Wild Acre’s Fort Worth building..."

#24 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:49 AM

Wow.

#25 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 11:12 AM

I wonder if this will mean the end of the Westside location of Wild Acre?

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:12 PM

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  I did the design and prepared the construction documents for the Camp Bowie location, and I'm still working with them on some projects. 

Over on the east side, I did the architectural drawings for the covered patio shown in the Star-Telegram's photo.  I also prepared the architectural drawings for the large stage and outdoor theater that was built there. 

#27 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 02:37 PM

Lots of Star-Telegram coverage today,

Homegrown pride, local flavors fuel growth of Fort Worth craft beer scene

Fort Worth's favorite brewery: Here's the winner of the Star-Telegram Readers Choice

Readers Choice nominees: 13 breweries among Fort Worth favorites for local craft beer

We're looking for beer recommendations: What's your favorite locally made craft beer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users