GO FROGS!!!

#2 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

Hmm. In the second graphic see a new facade for the side of the stadium only the neighbors can see, and an additional deck for a stadium that's never full. I wouldn't hold my breath on those changes. In general, though, I think TCU has taken very good care of ACS, which was the best stadium by far in the old SWC for watching a game.

If I were king of their world, though, I'd bring down that upper deck and replace it with something a little more modest and a little less highly pitched. The stadium is great but that upper deck is terrible.

#3 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jul 17 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm. In the second graphic see a new facade for the side of the stadium only the neighbors can see, and an additional deck for a stadium that's never full. I wouldn't hold my breath on those changes. In general, though, I think TCU has taken very good care of ACS, which was the best stadium by far in the old SWC for watching a game.

If I were king of their world, though, I'd bring down that upper deck and replace it with something a little more modest and a little less highly pitched. The stadium is great but that upper deck is terrible.

I should have been more clear. The top is the addition that opens this season. That's not just a new facade on the bottom graphic. The bottom graphic is the result of tearing everything down above street level and building pretty much a new stadium.

From the media guide:

AMON G. CARTER STADIUM RENOVATION
TCU recently announced an ambitious proposed plan for a
complete renovation of the Frogs’ home field, the 78-year
old Amon G. Carter Stadium (left and below). Preliminary
planning and a feasibility study are underway to help TCU
reach its goal of creating the “Camden Yards” of collegiate
football stadiums. The first major donation toward the
project was received in June 2008 in the form of a $15
million gift from the Amon G. Carter Foundation.

“The Carter Foundation recognizes that the football
stadium remains one of the most visible landmarks on
campus and in southwest Fort Worth,” said John Robinson,
executive vice president of the Amon G. Carter Foundation.
“Our commitment signals a strong endorsement from the
Carter family and Foundation of the University’s intention
to renovate the stadium. We are proud to be the first
commitment toward the project, which will enhance the
University and Fort Worth for the next 50 years.”

GO FROGS!!!

#4 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Yes the existing upper deck was poorly designed. It was too high and too steep. As mentioned, the current stadium will have all seats above street level removed. The new stadium will then be built from that point up. This will allow TCU to move all seats closer to the field as well as the press box that is way too far from the field. New club seats and luxury boxes will be included. Also included in the new stadium will be all the requirements of the ADA. The goal is to have a modern stadium with an classic look. Today's Amon Carter Stadium seats 44,500. The new stadium will seat approx. 40-42,000.

#5 Stormrunner77

Stormrunner77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Historic Buildings, Computers, Autos, Sports, Music

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Big Frog II @ Jul 18 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes the existing upper deck was poorly designed. It was too high and too steep. Today's Amon Carter Stadium seats 44,500. The new stadium will seat approx. 40-42,000.

AC Stadium was always one of the best of the old SWC, but every stadium needs a face lift now and then. LSU did some similar renovations to their upper deck due to incline. As long as the heart of Amon Carter isn't touched, we should get something to be proud of.

As far as having a problem filling the stands... Part of that stems from DFW almost suffering from sports overload. Fort Worth & Dallas are at last count the home of 2 NCAA Div-1 schools (TCU & SMU) <or 3 if you count UNT in the mix>, 2 minor league baseball teams, the Rangers, the Stars, the Mavericks, the Cowboys, the Desperados, FC Dallas...and I know that I haven't mentioned some others. The point being though is that even with the population we have, the sports market is stretched. What would help TCU is if a similar campaign to their mid 90's "My Home Team". I actually saw one of these bumper stickers a couple weeks back. It would probably also help the Frog's cause if they could get some more 'big" name schools to schedule games with them and be willing to at least do a home-home series. <Of course with the way that the BCS is arranged right now, this going to be a hard sell to anyone who regularly gets put in the top 25 in the polls.> In anycase, we all should get behind our hometown Frogs no matter our true school loyalties.

#6 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

I think more non-alumni would attend games if they start to win games against high-major programs, such as Texas.

#7 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Big Frog II @ Jul 18 2008, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...New club seats and luxury boxes will be included...

That's probably the realmotivation. Getting the local wealthy and corporate $$ to the stadium. Not more seats, just more expensive seats.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has an article on the new stadium plans in today's issue. The article was written by Mac Engel and the link is: http://www.star-tele...renovation.html

#9 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

I wish they'd make it bigger.

#10 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Today TCU made it official and unveiled the plans. There are a number of images with the Star-Telegram's article:
TCU to renovate Amon G. Carter Stadium for $105M

Interesting highlights:
- The west side (the side with the upper deck now) will be almost entirely torn down and rebuilt.
- The architecture will be art deco in a nod to the original 1930s design.
- The renovated stadium will actually have fewer seats (40,000 vs. 44,358) than it does now.

#11 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

Very interesting. Love the purple. And I hope they have plans for upgrading the east side as well; maybe putting in additional upper decks to make up for the seating they're losing.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

I don't think they're selling out their games. I doubt 4k seats are going to be missed.

#13 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (JBB @ Aug 17 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think they're selling out their games. I doubt 4k seats are going to be missed.

They've had three. Last year was their first against a non-former SWC opponent.

#14 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

I don't think losing the 4K seats in favor of suites will hurt anything...

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

I would assume that the loss of the 4,000 seats is taking into account the seats added with the suites. They are probably removing more than 4k of the current seats. I didn't read the article closely, so I may be incorrect.

#16 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (JBB @ Aug 17 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would assume that the loss of the 4,000 seats is taking into account the seats added with the suites. They are probably removing more than 4k of the current seats. I didn't read the article closely, so I may be incorrect.

No, you're absolutely right. Overall capacity goes from roughly 44,000 to 40,000. And in case my prior post wasn't clear, they've sold out the stadium 3 times...period. Once in the 80s against UT, 2006 against Tech, and last year against Utah.

#17 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (txsloth @ Aug 18 2010, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, you're absolutely right. Overall capacity goes from roughly 44,000 to 40,000. And in case my prior post wasn't clear, they've sold out the stadium 3 times...period. Once in the 80s against UT, 2006 against Tech, and last year against Utah.

Interestingly, if they overbooked the stadium, it still might not fill up given the number of people who simply stay in the parking lot and drink.

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

Once again, the genuine character of Fort Worth along with one of its iconic institutions, TCU has succeeded in valuing quality above size. Now we can add Amon Carter Stadium to the likes of Kimbell and Bass Hall - small, yet excellent. Already, accolades and praises from all across the country are being written by well wishers who are awed by the audacity of a small private institution who could unveil plans for such an impressive edifice. Fans and athletes alike, will enjoy, may I suggest, a Wrigley Field / Fenway Park –like experience while watching the pageantry of college football. Paraphrasing the pride filled sentiments expressed by Chancellor Victor Boschini that this is not only for TCU, but for Fort Worth and Tarrant County as well; I too must share his sentiments believing that without a doubt, the local economy, restaurants, hotels as well as all of us will be the beneficiaries. Imagine the millions of ESPN viewers, the AFC team and its legion of fans who will be witnessing first hand the transformation of the stadium during Super Bowl Week in North Texas. This will be yet another headline distributed nationally about our amazing city . This is and will be legendary.

Keep Fort Worth folksy!

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

Channel 8 News reported tonight that the west stands are going to be imploded on Sunday, December 5th.

#20 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

These were taken today by someone on the killerfrogs.com forum:

Stadium Demo Pics (Album)
GO FROGS!!!

#21 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

So where will their 2011 home games be played?
My blog: Doohickie

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

The 2011 home games will be played at the stadium with limited seating capacity. The only game that would have been played at the stadium that won't be played there is the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl coming up on December 30th. The reason they won't be playing that game there is due to the smaller seating capacity and the fact that all of the debris probably won't be cleared by that time. My guess is that they will complete the new seating on the north side of the stadium and will have most of the structure up for the new stadium by the time the 2011 season starts. Then, after that season, they will complete the stadium by September of 2012.

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

Really? I find it surprising that they will allow people into a partially completed structure. Will they actually have a CO?
My blog: Doohickie

#24 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

When A&M added to kyle Field, the construction went through the '98 season with people still squeezing in whereever they could.

#25 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Renovations to Amon G. Carter stadium will begin immediately following the Nov. 13 game and will conclude in time for the 2012 season. They will not interfere with home games during the 2011 season. The west stands will be imploded on the morning of Dec. 5. For more information on the renovation, please visit www.stadium.tcu.edu.

GO FROGS!!!

#26 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

Someone posted this on killerfrogs yesterday and I thought I would share.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=8196a4b9f4e440df&permissionsChanged=1&id=8196A4B9F4E440DF!1577#cid=8196A4B9F4E440DF&id=8196A4B9F4E440DF!1625
GO FROGS!!!

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

That's a nice set of photos. I have been watching it go up every day, either from my drives through the neighborhood, or from the office window. The view from the office is from a fairly long distance, but I can see the stadium.

#28 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

So where will their 2011 home games be played?

The Star Telegram reported that they expect to have about 32,000 seats for the five home games.

#29 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

Photo Gallery

TCU received approval Monday from its Board of Trustees' Executive Committee (acting on behalf of the Board of Trustees) to renovate the east side of Amon G. Carter Stadium immediately following the conclusion of the 2011 football season.

The east side renovation will enable TCU to have a fully renovated Amon G. Carter Stadium in time for the 2012 season, which marks the Horned Frogs' first year in the BIG EAST Conference. In addition to BIG EAST home games next fall versus West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville and South Florida, TCU also will host Oklahoma and Virginia. Future home games also include LSU and Arkansas coming to Amon G. Carter Stadium.

Ninety-five donors have contributed $143 million to date, exceeding the original goal of $105 million when the initial announcement of a renovation to Amon G. Carter Stadium was made Aug. 16, 2010. At the time, the east side was a project marked for completion several years down the road.

"This is an exciting day for TCU and Fort Worth," TCU Chairman of the Board of Trustees Clarence Scharbauer said. "This truly defines the momentum we have on campus. We very much appreciate all those who have made it possible for TCU to have a facility that will rank among the nation's finest. The new Amon G. Carter Stadium is for all of TCU, Fort Worth and the greater community. We will have an unbelievable stadium with all the modern amenities. There will be no better place to watch a game in a family-friendly environment."

Capacity for the completed Amon G. Carter Stadium will be 43,000 with expansion opportunities that could allow for 50,000 or more in the future.

"Home football games are a tremendous gathering place for our students, faculty, staff, alumni and the Fort Worth community," TCU chancellor Dr. Victor J. Boschini said. "We will have the 'Camden Yards' of college football stadiums. It will be first class in every regard and will mirror the quality of our football program led by head coach Gary Patterson."

The new east side will feature a double deck similar to what has been created in the north end zone. The height of the upper deck will be at the level of the speakers that currently sit on the light poles of the existing stadium.

"This project is made possible because of the outstanding vision and leadership of Chancellor Boschini, Chairman Clarence Scharbauer, our Board of Trustees, the Stadium Renovation Committee, donors and the incredible efforts of the best football coach in America, Gary Patterson," TCU director of intercollegiate athletics Chris Del Conte said. "They allowed us to dream and make a new Amon G. Carter Stadium a reality. It's a great time to be a Horned Frog!"

TCU has a school record 20-game home winning streak, a mark that currently ranks as the third-longest in the nation. Under Patterson as head coach, TCU is 51-6 in 10 seasons at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

"A fully completed stadium will be a positive in our recruiting efforts, as well as continuing to have a football program that makes TCU and Fort Worth proud," Patterson said. "I would like to thank all those who are responsible for making this happen."

For the second straight year, TCU has shattered its season ticket sales record. This year's total of over 21,000 surpasses last year's previous-best mark of 19,143.

The Horned Frogs open the 2011 campaign Friday at Baylor. The 7 p.m. contest will be televised on ESPN.
GO FROGS!!!

#30 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

At least the Oklahoma game will sell out, maybe West Va?

#31 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

If they win, they will sell them all out! The fully renovated stadium will hold ~7,000 less than the old configuration.

Not that all the seats will be filled- vast numbers of ticketholders will be enjoying their margaritas in the parking lot.

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

A need say nothing more than what I wrote here in an earlier post (#18) but Stunning! – The New Amon Carter Stadium is sure to become a monument to both TCU and Fort Worth. Thank you Horned Frogs.

Keep Fort Worth folksy.

#33 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

The figure 50,000 being bandied about as seating capacity of the fully renovated stadium is a bit of a misstatement. The actual capacity of the stadium as completed in 2012 will be 43,000; the design allows for future expansion to 50,000.

#34 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

GO FROGS!!!

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Shouldn't we be bulldozing the east grandstand right after the UNLV game Saturday...?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Yes, they should start demolition within a few days after the game. The project is scheduled to start on December 1st.

#37 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

"Construction on the east side is slated to begin immediately following the last home game at Amon G. Carter Stadium on December 3, 2011. The majority of the haul off of debris is scheduled to be complete by mid-January 2012. Construction on the west side and north end zone began at the conclusion of the 2010 season."

http://www.stadium.tcu.edu/faq.asp

#38 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#39 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

New east side renderings

Posted Image
Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#41 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

So.... NO ONE has posted anything else on the renovation? It's almost done:

Blog w/ Photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#42 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Got my tix in the mail earlier this week. It's going to be awesome.

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Jeriat, I had taken some pictures last Sunday, but they weren't very good of the new east stands. However, I went back on Friday evening and took two photos. I'm kicking myself, because on Saturday night, they had all of the lights on the field turned on.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

JTR, thanks for those day and night pictures, So great for TCU and for Fort Worth..........

I GET GOOSEBUMPS!

#45 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

This is one of the sexiest places I've ever seen. So glad they went retro on the outside. LOVE IT. The lighting just sets it off.

7fwPZnE.png

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Final touches (signage):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

DONE!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Nice shots. I wanted to go to the ceremony, but I couldn't get off from work. I will be attending a private tour on September 25th.

#49 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

Now that is' complete & dedicated, time to get aerial & other shots of it uploaded to Google Earth.

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

I took the tour yesterday afternoon and last night. I had quite a few photographs that turned out nice, yet some may not have been as good as Jeriat's because of the time of day. Late in the afternoon put the field in shade and the east stands in full sun, so I have some exposure issues on some of the shots. Also, most of mine duplicate his. I will say that I like the new stadium much better than the old. The old stadium was very antiquated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TCU, Athletic Facilites, Historic Sites, Texas Christian University

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users