21 replies to this topic

#1 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

No posts from Brian in weeks... I was at least hoping for some Christmas tree/Plaza pics from The Tower.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

Check out his Facebook page.  He has posted plenty over there.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/brian.luenser

#3 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Notice the very small number of pictures being posted here since FB became popular.  The reason is that the Forum has no means to let images from a posters computer to be uploaded and displayed.  This means that external on-line storage or some sort is necessary, which not everyone has.  I happen to, but it takes more time to mess with and so it's been a long time since I have put any images on the Forum.  This limitation is not necessarily bad, but it is out of step with the way the images are handles on social sites today..  

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Yes, that is the limitation of this board. 

I'm going to try to start taking and posting more photographs, but I'm only one person. 

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

This Fort Worth Forum has been one of the most meaning components of my life.  It is why I live in Downtown Fort Worth.  It is why Fort Worth Magazine list's me as the best photographer in town. It has been critical to me learning about not just the town I love, but in many cases, lessons about people that I failed to learn in my first 50 years. 

I have become very active on Facebook over the last few years.  It has been a lot of fun.  But at some point you see enough pictures of cake and dogs to satiate for a while.  The Fort Worth Forum, has been and while likely continue to be my base.  For substance. For the facts of what is going on in the city.  A lot of knowledgeable members.  Mostly slinging accurate information and for the times they aren't corrected soon enough. The biggest difference between Facebook and a Forum as this, is on Facebook you have total control over your posts.  If somebody comes back spewing crap, you simply delete the comment.  There is less ability to get sucker punched in the face by somebody that is only trying to further some personal agenda, benefitting only himself.  Many people, maybe most, have agendas.  Some are to just benefit themselves or a small group like themselves rather than society as a whole.  ie,. I want a $10 a pack tax on cigarettes because I don't smoke.  
I have really seen an evolution to the Forum over my 10 years here.  Good and bad.  The constant for me has always been John Roberts.  Not just more knowledgeable than anybody I know about this town, but a great person.  A man that plays by the rules.  I like that.  Integrity. 

I have come to know many great people here. I am still meeting people that know me from the Forum.  Partially because I made a decision many years ago to change my member name to my actual name.  I figured I had nothing to hide and would never say anything that I would not  be proud to own.  I get using a pretend name.  Some times we have an executive of a local company that would like to speak his or her mind.  I get it.  Sometimes it is just a tool for people to spew poop with anonymity.  Sometimes you get into a disagreement with somebody of the later variety.  This has happened to me several times.  Me, using my real name, living in a place known by all, and in a fight with some nameless, faceless, homeless character.  That aspect of a Forum is my least favorite aspect of this type of mass communication.  Real characters vs. imaginary.  Now in reality, this Forum is not setup as a place for fighting.  But sometimes it comes down to that.   But, as in the past, the good players can't just throw in the towel to those that feel like coming for a fight.   But it can wear you down.  That has happened to me from time to time, for sure.  There are a great deal of really high end people as members of this Forum.  For all those people, I thank you.  Starting with Mr. Roberts.  I am not as active on the Forum as I used to be but when I am curious or need the facts it is the fist place I go to.  Guessing I always will as long as it is available.

www.fortworthview.com

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

Brian, thanks for posting a reply.  I try to administer, and others moderate, this forum as best that we can, but sometimes there are a few posters here who do try to push an agenda.  Also, posts that appear in the middle of the night or during work hours are apt to be left up longer.  I do enjoy seeing your Facebook posts, but please try to post some of those fantastic photographs over here. 

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well said, Brian. I also enjoy your photos and I discovered over the weekend that I can follow your posts on Facebook. I especially enjoyed your series last night on the Armed Forces Bowl activities in Sundance. I would have been down there myself had I known it was happening.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

This Fort Worth Forum has been one of the most meaning components of my life. ... It has been critical to me learning about not just the town I love, but in many cases, lessons about people that I failed to learn in my first 50 years. ....I have become very active on Facebook over the last few years. ...The biggest difference between Facebook and a Forum as this, is on Facebook you have total control over your posts.  If somebody comes back spewing crap, you simply delete the comment.  There is less ability to get sucker punched in the face by somebody that is only trying to further some personal agenda, benefitting only himself.  Many people, maybe most, have agendas.  Some are to just benefit themselves or a small group like themselves rather than society as a whole.... an evolution to the Forum over my 10 years here.  Good and bad.  The constant for me has always been John Roberts.... I like that.  Integrity.... I get using a pretend name...... I get it.  Sometimes it is just a tool for people to spew poop with anonymity.  Sometimes you get into a disagreement with somebody of the later variety.  This has happened to me several times...Me, using my real name, living in a place known by all, and in a fight with some nameless, faceless, homeless character.  That aspect of a Forum is my least favorite aspect of this type of mass communication.  Real characters vs. imaginary.  Now in reality, this Forum is not setup as a place for fighting.  But sometimes it comes down to that..... But it can wear you down...That has happened to me from time to time, for sure.  There are a great deal of really high end people as members of this Forum.  For all those people, I thank you....

I am reluctantly compelled to weigh on someone else's feelings because it is most difficult to know the degree of sensitivity that anyone of us carries or that whicht may be causing such feelings.  It is best to leave that matter to each person.  That being said, I will necessarily attempt to address two point: one that I agree with; and the later that I find myself in disagreement with.

First, I agree wholeheartedly that the moderator and co-moderators are all excellent at their duties.  The Forum is the best medium in Fort Worth for those who love the city.  So much gratitude is owed by me to John Roberts and his associates who maintain this open space for exchanging ideas about Fort Worth and surrounding communities.  Over the years, I have been thoroughly entertained and challenged by members who post here; and this is particularly true for those who offer me a differing viewpoint.

Now as a long standing member of the Forum myself, it is difficult for me to recall instances where someone’s only purpose is to deliver a “sucker punch” or to “spew poop”.  I pride myself in reading most postings and with very few not getting at least a brief read.   I would be offended by such actions, as would most here I assume.  I have no doubt that Mr. Roberts or his associates would take appropriate actions to prevent this from happening.  I believe that this is true because I have expressed cross current ideas; and have to the best of my recollections never been or felt slighted for expressing my ideas.  I do not know much about Facebook.  It sounds to me that one has control over what one wants to hear or wants not to hear.  I suppose that is satisfying.  I prefer a free market of ideas that can stand or can fall on their own merits.  I do not prefer censorship; and find myself in disagreement with such a position.

Keep Fort Worth folksy!

#9 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

I find the Fort Worth Forum - to be very frank - more informative than the Star-Telegram and the Fort Worth Business Press on many local issues.  Not to malign those two publications - they do great covering crime, sports, and local business. But if you want information on what's happening in Fort Worth's overall evolution, this is the sweet spot for me.  And I love the pictures.  Thanks to all the folks who administer, monitor, post, and support this interesting on-line community. While I think 2013 was a blockbuster year for Fort Worth for many reasons, I also think there's a lot to look forward to in 2014. Happy New Year!  And Brian L.:  your very interesting posts and pics are missed down here in Austin.  And just a thought - Facebook is probably an arm of the NSA - I doubt the NSA knows much about the Fort Worth Forum.  :D

#10 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Brian, thanks for posting a reply.  I try to administer, and others moderate, this forum as best that we can, but sometimes there are a few posters here who do try to push an agenda.  Also, posts that appear in the middle of the night or during work hours are apt to be left up longer.  I do enjoy seeing your Facebook posts, but please try to post some of those fantastic photographs over here.

I really hope this was not directed at me. I simply enjoy Brian's photos and was unaware of his FB page. I'm sorry if I stepped
on any toes by starting this thread. And as far as you commenting on me being awake in the middle of the night... you would be too if you lost your job of 14 years and had been unemployed for 15 months now. Sometimes I sleep at night sometimes I can't. I am about to be foreclosed on but that's not your problem. This has been my favorite FW site for many years. Happy 2014.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

Jeff, I'm really sorry that you lost your job and you have been out of work for so long.  You did not step on anyone's toes.  As for trolling posts, they are usually put up in the middle of the night, or they are put up during working hours when there is less monitoring being done by the administrators and moderators.  My comment was not directed at you, or at anyone in particular.  Please keep posting to keep the forum active and viable.  I hope that your 2014 is a good year and that you find employment very soon.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Now as a long standing member of the Forum myself, it is difficult for me to recall instances where someone’s only purpose is to deliver a “sucker punch” or to “spew poop”. 

Whether it was their only purpose for being here or not, I can certainly remember a few members using forum topics to take some rather personal shots at Brian.  The matters were usually addressed quickly by John and the other moderators, but obviously not before the damage was done.

#13 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Great photos over the years!  And anyone who has the guts to rappel down a skyscraper, well...

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

I really hope this was not directed at me. I simply enjoy Brian's photos and was unaware of his FB page. I'm sorry if I stepped
on any toes by starting this thread. And as far as you commenting on me being awake in the middle of the night... you would be too if you lost your job of 14 years and had been unemployed for 15 months now. Sometimes I sleep at night sometimes I can't. I am about to be foreclosed on but that's not your problem. This has been my favorite FW site for many years. Happy 2014.

Jeff, I hope that everythings works out for you in a good way.  It may seem hollow to you now, but going through difficult times often makes one better in the long term. I know because I have and I suspect many others have too gone though similar circumstances that you are facing.  It will get better.  Even now, our national economy is rebounding and the worst is already behind us. With perserverance, new opportunities will be available for all of us.  Good luck and stay strong.

Renamerusk

#15 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Thanks to both of you for the kind words! I hope 2014 does hold great opportunities for all.

#16 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

This article in the Star-Telegram today answers the question.  He's going to be at the Main Street Arts Festival to display his works of photography.  Looking forward to dropping by to see the display and maybe chat with the artist.

http://www.star-tele...es-default?rh=1

#17 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Great article, Brian.  Hope to see you at your booth tomorrow.

Phil

#18 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

I was at the Main Street Arts Festival yesterday and saw Brian's booth, I poked my head in but Brian wasn't there, probably working.  If you are going, his booth is on 4th street just east of Main street.  He is the closest to Main Street on a little strip of booths off Sundance Square, right in front of the chocolate shop.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

I was down there last night and I visited with Brian, and I introduced him to more of my FWBA buddies.  I also visited with Brian's lovely wife, Debbie.  Then, I visited quite some time with Dangr.dave (Dave Matthews).  He has a booth near Houston and Third. 

#20 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Both Dave and Brian have done excellent work in documenting contemporary Fort Worth. I can only hope that both will have their work permanently archived on line and in some permanent accessible place for the future. 

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#21 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

A co-worker and I were just referencing Brian's lens comparison shots on the Photo Equipment Talk thread this week and the next day I saw him on the Star Telegram.  I still can't believe he has an 800mm lens.  Looks like you could hurt your back with that thing.  That's something many dream about but few actually pull the trigger on.  Pretty cool collection of equipment, I might say.  I need to request him on Facebook so I can keep up with his latest work.

#22 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

I am planning on going downtown tomorrow evening to see what the Main Street Arts Festival is like (first time).

Might stop by and say hi to Brian as well.

-Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users