5 replies to this topic

#1 kc5uzd

kc5uzd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:20 PM

Back in the '80's I served at CAFB. Being from Tyler, it was a nice assignment. I lived in Ridglea (?) off of Vickery, and used to walk to the used record store by Monnigs a lot. I think my favorite resturant was Caros out on University.
A civilian friend and I used to go to this place by Lover's Lookout on Lake Worth. It seemed to be what was left of a house. There were rock walls on the outside perimeter only, and they were only 3 feet or so tall. There was some type of cement for the flooring and two fireplaces with standing chimneys on the inside. On the lake side, there was a trail which led to an uncemented stone staircase. I can't remember how many steps there were, but there were quite a few. As I remember, the steps led down to a HUGE rock partially inside the lake. The rock made a natural dock, of sorts. It was a perfect swimming spot, of course - I didn't know there were 'gators in there at the time!
Does anybody know what purpose the building served? I have always wondered.

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:18 AM

Sounds like Inspiration Point, an old CCC era style picnic shelter, built atop a scenic hill overlooking the lake. But there's only one chimney, with dual opposing fireplaces.

#3 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

Perhaps it was the home of Goatman and Donkeylady... (I heard stories of these creatures roaming the shores of Lake Worth when I was a wee camper at Camp Carter.)

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:54 PM

Sounds like Mosque Point Park on Cahoba Drive.

Mosque Point is a great little hidden place. It's a city park built where there used to be some sort of Masonic Mosque back in the '20s or '30s.

It has the steps and big rock you mentioned ... we went there as kids and I still like it.

#5 kc5uzd

kc5uzd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:56 PM

Great! Thank you all. I always wondered. Although I spent a lot of time there, both daytime and nighttime, I never saw a strange creature. I'm not too much of a believer in them anyway. Maybe the goat-man knew that?

TXGenWeb had this to say:
MOSQUE POINT PARK: The shelter was constructed by the C. C. C. in 1934 on the site of an Arabian style Mosque erected for the Moslah Temple in 1918. The Mosque burnt in 1927, but the point's name had been changed from Reynold's Point to Mosque Point by then.

There is some discussion about the Masons, Mosque Point, and a whole lot of weird stuff, which I totally did not understand here:
http://www.imsfsc.co...html?1073263706

I looked around for a picture, to no avail. My memory must have faded over the last 20 years. I thought there were 2 fireplaces. Thanks for clearing that one up.

#6 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I found this topic while still trying to dig up more info on a project by my grandfather, Wiley G. Clarkson.  The project was listed as "mosque for Moslah Temple, Fort Worth Shelf 5 Job 84"  The following was sent to me in an email by the Fort Worth Moslah Shrine, located in the Masonic Temple, which was also designed by my grandfather.  The writer made this comment in the email reply to my request for information:  "That is very fascinating regarding your grandfather. He was obviously very talented."  It is part of their website historical page.  "Ground was broken on the first Moslah Shrine Center, or Mosque as it was then called, on Reynolds Point overlooking Lake Worth, on September 5, 1917. This building was destroyed by fire on January 10, 1927. Shortly thereafter, Moslah Shrine moved into the Masonic Temple at 1100 Henderson St., where it has resided ever since."  The mosque was wood construction and was set on fire by a gasoline generator in the basement which was used to supply needed power for lighting.  Here is a link to my web site which has a photo sent to me by the Moslah Shrine of the 1917 Mosque:  http://www.clarksons...rchitecture.htm .

I did not know any of this information until today and while this is a very old thread, I figured someone might come along and find interest in the actual answer to the Mosque question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users