• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#51 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

I still think that the best location for a law school downtown in Ft. Worth is the TCC facility just east of the historic courthouse. Housing a nursing program there is just (?) as far as location. The nursing school needs to be adjacent to a hospital, and the law school needs to be adjacent to a justice center complex. The current location of the law school needs to be hospitality-related as it is adjacent to the convention center.

#52 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

renamerusk--

you claimed they wanted a law school in North Texas for a long time.....

I don't dispute they wanted a law school for years, hence the attempt to buy South Texas College of Law.....

move to North Texas is hogwash.....a law school specifically in North Texas is also hogwash....

You are misinformed or projecting......

I am a little close to this subject as I am a graduate of the law school, was the Student Bar President of the school and have people I know and trust that are on staff teaching future law grads, including deans.  

Finally, a commercial airport from Carswell will never happen.....

you don't know much about how FW works..... 

youngalum - To be certain,  as the state’s largest metropolitan region,  North Texas wanted a publicly funded law school and Texas A&M was the largest publicly funded institution without a law school who also wanted one.  Even when the correctness of the paring of North Texas and Texas A&M is so evident and is both the logical and political solution that achieved both objectives. You go on to describe these undisputed facts as hogwash.

You suggest that A&M ‘s effort to acquire South Texas College of Law signaled that the North Texas/A&M paring as an objective was over. Instead, it is just as reasonable to suggest that A&M was simply in the market for an affordable law school; and once acquired would with the authorization of the Legislature, the clout of the North Texas Delegation, and finally with little objection from the already existing publicly funded U of Houston law school that a relocation to North Texas it is a reasonable projection. Having been successful in acquiring STLS’ accreditation, were that the case, then A&M would both be encouraged and allowed to establish itself as Texas A&M Law School located somewhere in North Texas.  TWU’s accreditation and Fort Worth speaks for themselves.

The newly formed Texas A&M Law School touts over and over again of its location in one of largest metropolitan areas of the nation; and of the benefits accruing to the region’s workforce and  its students.

Now lets say that your rumor to relocate the law school to CS is legitimate.  It would likely face a firestorm of political backlash from Fort Worth and NCTCOG behind closed doors; it would likely be openly criticized by the print media in North Texas; it would be criticized by North Texas businesses, and it would be a transportation and cultural desert for staff and post graduate students; and It would be a permanent hindrance to recruitment.  It would also embolden and cede the region to the new UNT Law School.  These are not the assertions of someone who may be misinformed, instead, these are assertions that can be easily projected from the facts and reactions that have been taken when such regional issues, as your rumor is, develop.

Finally,  life has, without me having any formal legal training, taught me at least two things to be cautious of: to be cautious when “crying wolf” and to be cautious when using a phrase that includes the word “never”, that is of course with the exception of death and taxes. The following two principles are thought to be of sound advice -  #1- it is always wise to vat hearsay; and #2 - it is said to be impossible to prove a “negative”.  Citing reports and statements regarding a topic helps me to be better informed.  Living and experiencing my life so far in Fort Worth helps me to stay better informed. I also know from experience that you can never say "never".  In either case, TWU/Texas A&M Law or Carswell/Regional Airport? you will find that I cite articles and statements along with my remarks; and when my remarks are given, I try always to state them as either my opinion or something that I would like to see happen; and to prevent the topic from wandering too far off topic, I try to placed them in the appropriate blogs for discussion.

A lively discussion is always encouraged by me, but rumors will usually be taken with a grain of salt by me.

#53 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

South Texas College of Law attempted acquisition was long before the acquisition of Wesleyan by A$M.  It doesn't matter one wit what your connecting the dots conclusion you have created in your mind.  It is fantasy world stuff that A$M wanted to be exclusively in North Texas over any other location in Texas.  A$M wanted a law school period in any part of the state--they just wanted to get it approved and signed off on which they did with Wesleyan.  If A$M wanted to move the law school to CS, there is nothing the North Texas delegation can do to stop it.  It is already bought and the funding is no longer an issue the legislature can do to stop it from happening.  Print media is not a big deal and newspapers grow old and yellow after a few months anyway.

Also, I encourage you to read the DMN today about the American Airlines new HQ deal that went dead at the end of March.  As I said, things change, but it was a huge possibility just a few months ago.

I know you deal with facts or whatever line you like to peddle.  The whole point of the board is to talk about development and potential development.  If you don't like rumors or speculation then this board might not be right for you.  However, you sure do a lot of speculation/conclusions yourself and yet you get on to me about legitimate rumors? It appears the reality is that you just cannot stand anything that might negatively affect FW and you let your personal opinion override any other feelings on the subjects.

I want FW to succeed, heck I live in FW!!  I am about to open an long anticipated office in FW finalizing the paperwork this week. I am so looking forward to May 1 so that I do not have to drive 100 miles a day that I have for the last 17 years.  That does not keep me from listening and reporting on what I hear for the benefit of the board.  I am sorry you don't like it and we fundamentality disagree on these issues.

#54 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

I am about to open an long anticipated office in FW finalizing the paperwork this week. I am so looking forward to May 1 so that I do not have to drive 100 miles a day that I have for the last 17 years. 

Congrats! 

#55 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

South Texas College of Law attempted acquisition was long before the acquisition of Wesleyan by A$M.  It doesn't matter one wit what your connecting the dots conclusion you have created in your mind.  It is fantasy world stuff that A$M wanted to be exclusively in North Texas over any other location in Texas.  A$M wanted a law school period in any part of the state--they just wanted to get it approved and signed off on which they did with Wesleyan.  If A$M wanted to move the law school to CS, there is nothing the North Texas delegation can do to stop it.  It is already bought and the funding is no longer an issue the legislature can do to stop it from happening.  Print media is not a big deal and newspapers grow old and yellow after a few months anyway.

I know you deal with facts or whatever line you like to peddle.  The whole point of the board is to talk about development and potential development.  If you don't like rumors or speculation then this board might not be right for you.......

....["You get on to me about legitimate rumors?] ....That does not keep me from listening and reporting on what I hear for the benefit of the board. 

.....we fundamentality disagree on these issues.

{I have taken the liberty to edit out statements that seems to be of personal characterization}.

To begin with -

There are three positions taken in the opening narrative that have been boldly asserted and that have been left plainly unproved.  What proof is there that there is nothing the North Texas Delegation can do to stop it from happening?  What proof has been given that funding now or for the future will not be an issue? What proof is there that the Print Media editorial role is not a big deal?  My projection is that there is precedence that actionable steps can be taken to persuade A&M from moving to CS.

The line that one should be most comfortable to peddle is one that is backed up by documentation first; by history second; and by common sense resulting from healthy skepticism third.  This would be the line taken by one who seriously sought credibility in the public court of persuasion. Surprisingly from a legalistic argument, the necessary documentation to cite and to support the positions taken in the opening narrative is non-existing.  "Trust and verify; but never hear it and spread it!";  shows a level of prudence; instead of "could have been, should have been, but...."  which shows a level of disregard for owning responsibility for the resulting consequences.

The Board is a very constructive venue for projecting and suggesting one’s ideas.; and there is actually a legitimate thread that is designated to do just that -  Ideas and Suggestions for Projects.   For now, the Board is just right for me, but it would still be right for me even if the Board was to create a thread titled  Rumors and Speculations, just for those who like to peddle and to traffick down that stream; I just would not be that kind of voyeur.

Well, I suspect that a broad spectrum of scholars, both  past and present, have found rumors to be insidious and unreliable.   From Wikipedia - a statement from the opening entry that sounds fitting:

.."a rumor involves some kind of a statement whose veracity is not quickly or ever confirmed".

Read more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumor

IMO, what one usually discovers from unidentified rumors is that typically they are conduits of misinformation, mistrust and that their intent goes undisclosed; then as is par, no one is willing to take ownership or will speak only off the record.

While I have absolutely “ no fear” of expressing my fundamental disagreement on an issue when and if one arises, I also have gained the benefit of a constructive encounter of ideas.  This is the Forum to discuss issues about Fort Worth. Anyone who would drop an unwelcoming rumor into the highly partisan, pro Fort Worth Forum and who would then expect their rumor to avoid being deconstructed is either being naive or being provocative. 

#56 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Having had family in the Texas legislature and on appointed boards by various Governors, both Democrat and Republican, I can safely say the funding for A&M law school will never be in jeopardy if they move to CS.  You disagree and that is okay.  Thanks for admitting that you cannot be objective when anything that isn't 100% FW is discussed. 

Long live your no shot of ever happening pipe dream of a FWIA at Carwell.

#57 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

A&M Law jumps 38 spots in the newest US News & World Report rankings, from #149 last year up to #111.  

LINK.

#58 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Seeking opinions of Texas A&M Law School's current physical plant and what would be a nice replacement.  Surprisingly, law schools have a diverse look when it comes to their physical plant.

Having taken a look at some impressive law school buildings, I do wish that a swapcould be done between TAMU Law and TCC Nursing compounds.   :wacko:

http://www.bestchoic...s-in-the-world/

#59 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

Texas A&M University to purchase Texas Wesleyan University Law School. This is great news for Fort Worth. A&M will undoubtedly bring their prestige and their resources to make this, their sole Law School, a premier campus within their institution....

Fort Worth is now home to a Top 100 Law School -

http://www.fortworth...ce495efce1.html

#60 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

Some interesting discussion - 

Heard today the deal fell through . (A&M) Law school will have the space instead.  I was told instead of subdividing the space, the law school will have it all.

Not sure of any other details, or why A&M would want the whole building.

Is A&M Law taking the preliminary steps to shutter and then expand its current campus?  This requires further inquiry.

This also furthers my theory that this garage was never intended to be used exclusively by XTO.

#61 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

I think it goes without saying that it was planned all along that it would be used by whoever leased the retail space.

#62 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

The garage has a gate on it which is a typical for other XTO garages downtown. Most garages just have a lifting arm.

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

I was just down there walking around it.

#64 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

Some interesting discussion - 

Heard today the deal fell through . (A&M) Law school will have the space instead.  I was told instead of subdividing the space, the law school will have it all.

Not sure of any other details, or why A&M would want the whole building.

Is A&M Law taking the preliminary steps to shutter and then expand its current campus?  This requires further inquiry.

This also furthers my theory that this garage was never intended to be used exclusively by XTO.

I believe the A&M Law School still plans to construct a 6-story building on one of its parking lots off Calhoun Street and house the Tarrant County Bar  Association in the same building.  This from my conversation with an A&M law professor the other day.  I don't know anything about A&M using retail space at the XTO parking garage.

#65 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Maybe they need the room now and renting the space in the parking garage is a stop-gap until they build their new building.  It may not mean the current building will be shuttered (at least until the new building is complete).  Simply speculating here.

My blog: Doohickie

#66 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

The recent DFWI meeting discussed an expansion of the A&M campus, so I would not be surprised to hear that another building is on its way.

aw7mALp.jpg

#67 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

The building the school is in now has the support to be built up to 6 stories if the school desires to go that route.

#68 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

I remember reading one time about the school moving into the Star Telegran building. what ever happened to that proposal?

#69 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

Is A&M Law taking the preliminary steps to shutter and then expand its current campus?  This requires further inquiry.....

I believe the A&M Law School still plans to construct a 6-story building on one of its parking lots off Calhoun Street and house the Tarrant County Bar  Association in the same building.  This from my conversation with an A&M law professor the other day.  I don't know anything about A&M using retail space at the XTO parking garage.

If this is in the works, then this is excellent news.  I obviously missed the discussion about A&ML enlarging its campus; so why did you keep us in the dark? :swg:

#70 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

It looks as if A&M owns 3 lots, the two between 13th and 15th, and another one block down between 16th and 17th. If you look on satellite​ view these 3 lots are paved with a darker asphalt and easy to spot. They have lots of room to expand.

#71 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Driving by during school hours recently, A&M's parking lots are full. I would have to wonder if a possible expansion of the school might include a garage. Especially if they take up one of the existing surface lots for a new building.

#72 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Driving by during school hours recently, A&M's parking lots are full. I would have to wonder if a possible expansion of the school might include a garage. Especially if they take up one of the existing surface lots for a new building.

If expansion is on the horizon, it would be possible for the school's administrative and class rooms to be constructed above a four or five level garage spanning two blocks.  This could be achieved using Tower garage as a model; and as a model, 420 Taylor/Frost.

Surface lot parking should be avoided in Downtown.  Vertical expansion is the best use of Downtown space.

#73 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

I would prefer it not to span the street as that is usually pretty ugly. Maybe they could get the city to vacate 14th street and combine the two blocks into one larger block? That would give them a quarter acre extra to work with. 

Whatever happens, A&M is a great institution with lots of money, so I'd hold them to a high standard of development. West Texas A&M's downtown building is a good example of what NOT to do.

Edit - As a good example, Portland State's Urban Center Plaza which spans two blocks and has a few buildings.

#74 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

The Portland State like-campus would be nice.  I believe that footprints within Downtown should be at the same time both smaller and taller.

#75 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

I would prefer it not to span the street as that is usually pretty ugly. Maybe they could get the city to vacate 14th street and combine the two blocks into one larger block? That would give them a quarter acre extra to work with. 

Whatever happens, A&M is a great institution with lots of money, so I'd hold them to a high standard of development. West Texas A&M's downtown building is a good example of what NOT to do.

Edit - As a good example, Portland State's Urban Center Plaza which spans two blocks and has a few buildings.

Hmm.  Portland State's Urban Center Plaza has a similar architectural style as the TCC Trinity River Campus (former Radio Shack campus).

#76 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

West Texas A&M's downtown building is a good example of what NOT to do.

I'd be curious to hear your objections.

In my opinion, it seems that this renovation ...
Amarillo-Center-SinglePages-11.png

... will be a welcome upgrade for downtown Amarillo, considering that the building started out looking like this:

13557756.jpg?itok=8yoOOqx7

Source: West Texas A&M plans new life for Commerce Building

#77 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:04 AM

Didn't realize they were renovating an existing building.

The problem is, there's too much surface parking.

-Dylan

#78 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

Didn't realize they were renovating an existing building.

The problem is, there's too much surface parking.

Me either, I thought it was a new construction.

I don't think A&M will have surface parking, they will need a multilevel garage if they want to keep thier current capacity.

#79 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

Didn't realize they were renovating an existing building.....The problem is, there's too much surface parking.

Me either, I thought it was a new construction......I don't think A&M will have surface parking, they will need a multilevel garage if they want to keep thier current capacity.

I believe that it is inevitable that A&M will update their current facility.  After all, the Law School is among the things that the University is most proud of and was on a long held wish list.  The competition, as always, comprises of UT and TT. So, expect a building of significant stature.  With the Water Gardens at its doorstep,it will be architectural/engineering "malpractice" if the FWWG is not prominently featured as part of a formal entrance to a new structure.

https://www.google.c...TxyBY0QoioIfTAN

#80 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

True, and keep in mind it would be possible to expand that building as well.

http://www.fortworth...327#entry101715

#81 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

It now seems A&M is planning an expansion in the Star Telegram building.

#82 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

7th Street or Throckmorton Street?

#83 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

It now seems A&M is planning an expansion in the Star Telegram building.

Where did you read that?

#84 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:11 PM

This A&M talk all sounds very piecemeal and patchwork. I still believe that the powers that be should find a way to swap out the properties involved and have the Law School move into the TCC "Medical Campus" that abuts the courthouse and the Legal/Justice complex, build the TCC medical/nursing facility adjoining the soon-to-be-revamped and expanded County Hospital (this would have been a great location for the UNT/TCU Joint Allopathic Medicine School as well), and find a commercial buyer of the law school who would either expand it upward  for mixed use or some other use that complements or adds to the capacity of the Convention/Transportation hub. 

#85 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

Wouldn't mind of a new building resembled the one going up in Deep Ellum

https://www.dallasne...s-dental-school
  • JBB likes this

#86 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

That is a sharp looking building, but the headline for that story is b-a-d. :)

#87 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

ST has a nice article out on the school, including some details on why they lease out other buildings and potential expansion.

http://www.star-tele...e183855286.html

#88 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

I wonder if they even know they have a building that could be expanded upward?

#89 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

I wonder if they even know they have a building that could be expanded upward?

I am thinking that it makes better sense to build a new building on adjacent land so that the school would avoid any interruption of classes or regular operations.

My preference would be a building somewhat like the Vandergriff - Tarrant County Civil Courts Building but with below ground parking.

http://www.fortworth...om/newcivil.htm

#90 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

At one time I recall I was told the building could support 6 stories or it might have been 11 stories

#91 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:59 AM

A&M went before city plan commission to get the alley through the southern parking lot vacated by the city. Possible posturing for new construction?

#92 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

Youngalum, I had been told the building could be 16 stories. 

#93 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:43 AM

Not doubting what you've heard, but 16 stories for a law school building?  Wesleyan downtown started out with three floors, if I recall, and the fourth floor devoted to the IRS.  Now the present A&M occupies the entire building.   They need more room, of course, perhaps another three to five floors.  As to 16 stores, perhaps it would be leased out for office tenants (or floors for a parking garage)?  Does anyone know of a law school in the country having such a high rise?

#94 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

we can hope, that parking moat needs a serious catalyst! 

#95 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

Not doubting what you've heard, but 16 stories for a law school building?  Wesleyan downtown started out with three floors, if I recall, and the fourth floor devoted to the IRS.  Now the present A&M occupies the entire building.   They need more room, of course, perhaps another three to five floors.  As to 16 stores, perhaps it would be leased out for office tenants (or floors for a parking garage)?  Does anyone know of a law school in the country having such a high rise?

The building was built to be expanded to 16 stories 25 years before the law school moved in. Nobody said the law school was going to expand to that height, just that the infrastructure of the building was built to support that height.

Fordham's law school in Lincoln Center in New York is pretty impressive. I believe it's more than 20 stories and houses both the school and the residence hall for the students.

#96 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

A&M went before city plan commission to get the alley through the southern parking lot vacated by the city. Possible posturing for new construction?

Just looking at these lots on Google Maps got me confused. Where's the alley that's being vacated?

#97 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

I think there is a big difference between the potential of Wesleyan Law School and Texas A&M Law School. While they might not need 16 stories at present wouldn’t it be nice if they were to grow quickly to need a campus that required a 16 story building? Made easier if that 16 story building was already built out and ready to go.

#98 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

Just looking at these lots on Google Maps got me confused. Where's the alley that's being vacated?

I'm sure someone will be more an expert on this than me. But there is an alley platted in that lot, I guess as a right of way. 

#99 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:31 PM

Fort Worth should have a Tier 1 downtown major university in addition to the law school.  There seem to be downtown branches of state universities in most major cities. 

Some examples are ground-up.  Here are a few I've come across.

- UT Board of Regents recently built a 19-story office building in downtown Austin for its offices.

https://www.dpr.com/...office-building

- UNC Charlotte:  https://kierantimber.../pages/view/24/

- ASU Downtown Phoenix:  https://campus.asu.e...owntown-phoenix

#100 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

Fort Worth should have a Tier 1 downtown major university in addition to the law school.  There seem to be downtown branches of state universities in most major cities.

Texas Tech. 

I believe that other than Lubbock as its main campus, its only other significant campus is in El Paso.  A third campus in Fort Worth would be a major asset for the North Texas region.  I have frequently fantasized of a Texas Tech branch in a redeveloped T&P Warehouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users