Photo
- - - - -

West 7th Development

Cultural District W. 7th Street Urban Villages New Construction Mixed Use Development

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

#901 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

"our upcoming announcements of other new retailers and restaurants"

A furnishings store such as this is a step in the right direction.

Adrian

#902 rriojas71

rriojas71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Kudos. I really like this news.... west elm is a great retailer to have in the area. I shopped there several times when I lived in SF.
I noticed a couple of months ago that the space was being re-done and I wondered what would be going in.

W. 7th needs to head in this direction... make it more of a shopping destination. Women's apparel retailers would be good for the area also. I think Univ. Village has that down to a tee but I think W. 7th can also be a destination.

#903 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

I have some information on the empty block at Crockett and University. It will be called "Elan Crockett Row". This will be the 3rd Elan development in Fort Worth, after the recently completedd Elan West 7th and the currently under constructin Elan River District. Meeks + Partners is the architect. Ground breaking could be as soon as next month, but those are never super accurate. Will probably be U/C for 2 years. $61 million price tag. 

#904 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

The area needs more fast casual restaurant's like Panera Bread. That would fit great in the old Sweet Tomato's spot.

#905 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

Here's some renderings of the BOA on former Pour House site. It's awful, btw.

QSWfTNd.png

K7lFUVE.png

OYzOdbF.png

#906 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Yes. Awful. Its a shame that BOA did not take a cue from Pinnacle Place Bank.

#907 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Well, at least there's no parking between the building and the street.

That said, it's unfortunate that the building is set back from the sidewalk, and that there's so much vehicle space on either side of the building.

- Dylan

#908 rriojas71

rriojas71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

The suburbanization of West 7th continues

#909 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Cant even say I'm disappointed because this is EXACTLY what I thought it would be...

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#910 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

The Meh is strong with this one.

My blog: Doohickie

#911 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

I actually like the design of the building, itself... that's fine.

But the rest is just very suburban.

Seems like West 7th has an identity crisis or something.

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#912 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

There's probably still a lot of fear about excluding cars too much.  If it's too hard to drive to, then people won't come.

The developers most likely still have the mindset where things have to be a destination for outsiders to come to and not building these things for the people that actually live there and having these local residents as their primary customers.

#913 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Yes. Awful. Its a shame that BOA did not take a cue from Pinnacle Place Bank.

Pinnacle Bank is a nice example of mixed use & high density design with a bank anchor. I would also nominate the Eyeworks/Regions Bank building and the proposed Origin Bank building, both of which are also on 7th street.

#914 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

The actual West 7th development along Crockett has announced it is rebranding -

http://crockettrow.c...ow-at-west-7th/

I think this makes tons of sense, "West 7th" has become a general catch all for the area.

#915 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

The actual West 7th development along Crockett has announced it is rebranding -

http://crockettrow.c...ow-at-west-7th/

I think this makes tons of sense, "West 7th" has become a general catch all for the area.

Good.

Now if they can work on getting more tenants... 

tcu_sig.png

2hrhp3q.jpg

#916 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

There are two new office tenants announced and promises of more. 

This also explains the new block's "Elan Crockett Row" that I mentioned in post #903.

#917 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

There's probably still a lot of fear about excluding cars too much.  If it's too hard to drive to, then people won't come.

The developers most likely still have the mindset where things have to be a destination for outsiders to come to and not building these things for the people that actually live there and having these local residents as their primary customers.

Since this is a single tenant building, the design is surely 100% driven by Bank of America.  Yes, it appears they expect most of the patrons for this branch will be driving in or driving through.  With the location they will likely have a lot walking in too.  The main door is on the sidewalk.  The Mixed Use Zoning code requires that parking lots are beside or behind buildings, so they could not have put parking in front, as the Pour House had before.  What amazes me is that in the era of online banking a bank will pay a huge sum for a site, and then build a tiny little building on it, really wasting the land.  Unfortunately, people, our zoning ordinances do not ensure quality design, only basic site design and a few building design minimum standards. 

I do think what Origin did, to orchestrate a mixed use building with their branch in the ground floor, was a great move. 

#918 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

Yes its true.

#919 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

Since this is a single tenant building, the design is surely 100% driven by Bank of America.....What amazes me is that in the era of online banking a bank will pay a huge sum for a site, and then build a tiny little building on it, really wasting the land.....

Probably at least, two ways to view this building:

(1) a jesture to provide downtown workers and west side commuters a motor bank to replace the closing of BOA 500 West 7th;

(2) a waste of resources given that personal banking services with onsite employees are on the way out; and is a transitional facility.

One can imagine that someday in the not too distant future, the bank will be a fully automatic motorist and lobby site.

#920 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:25 AM

I'm puzzled by the criticism of the BOA building design.  There's been a variety of architectural styles of branch bank buildings. This one's modern modular style departs from the quaint cottage-look one sees at other locations.  I'm pleased that a building that is not a night club is replacing a night club, because there are too many night clubs in the West 7th area already.

Someone here called the planned new building a continuation of the "suburbanization" of W7.  I'm not sure that that means.  Most areas outside the downtown of any major city are less urbanized than the CBD, if what you mean by that there's a lack of high-rise buildings. 

Regarding the rebranding of the area with the name "Crockett Row," from a marketing perspective that's a grand idea.  But, in reality, most people will probably continue to refer to it as the "West 7th area."  Look at it this way, if I'm sitting with a group of friends who are looking for some nighttime hot spots in Fort Worth, who's going to say, "Let's go over to Crockett Row."  Hmmm.  Well, maybe the new name will catch on over time.

#921 rriojas71

rriojas71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

I was the one who used the term suburbanization.

To me it's a building you would find in Any Suburb USA and not a design you want to see if you're trying to create an Urban core. Here's a definition I got online. "Of or a characteristic of a suburb; contemptibly dull or ordinary." That is what this is, what Left Bank is and what's the Target shopping center is. A sea of parking with little regard to pedestrians or trying to create a pedestrian experience.

The only saving grace for me with this is that it is not another Sports Bar/Frat Boy hangout like you mentioned, but if that is it's only redeeming quality than we have set the bar for West 7th pretty low.

I am somewhat pleased that it comes all the way to the street and parking is at the back, but then again I noticed that the drive through exit is on the street side and steps away from the entrance meaning that as a pedestrian you are going to have to be hyper aware when crossing it and hoping that the people don't come roaring out putting your life and well being in jeopardy.

Austin mentioned the Origin Bank building and the thought they seemed to put behind the design and profitability of the land .There was none of that foresight with this building. It's just a plug and place piece. Nothing more.

#922 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

I'm puzzled by the criticism of the BOA building design....

Criticism is coming from me because the design is a standard cookie-cutter banking site.  If BOA had done something on the order of the Comerica Bank on Magnolia Avenue; Ciera Bank on Summit  then it would seem to me to be less of a missed opportunity in my opinion to have done something a bit more interesting.

https://www.google.c...X1DBeYQoioIczAK

https://www.google.c...XpHC4sQpx8IdDAN

#923 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

The renderings dont bother me much, the site plan does. 

#924 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:06 AM

It would be nice if the building were shoved up to the street and the drive through lanes were behind the building instead of beside the building.

- Dylan

#925 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:26 AM

Regarding the rebranding of the area with the name "Crockett Row," from a marketing perspective that's a grand idea.  But, in reality, most people will probably continue to refer to it as the "West 7th area."  Look at it this way, if I'm sitting with a group of friends who are looking for some nighttime hot spots in Fort Worth, who's going to say, "Let's go over to Crockett Row."  Hmmm.  Well, maybe the new name will catch on over time.

The rebranding is to distinguish the *specific development* within the area from the general term for the area.

The West 7th area emcompasses more than the specific West 7th Crockett Row development.

- Dylan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cultural District, W. 7th Street, Urban Villages, New Construction, Mixed Use Development

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users