Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

DT: Omni Fort Worth Hotel (447 FT/33 ST/2008)

Downtown Hotels New Construction Skyscrapers

• Please log in to reply
536 replies to this topic

#101 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

The PDF file shows the height of the building before it was increased 8'-6". That is where the 507 ft. dimension comes in play. This still did not account for the elevator overrun, which Prairie Pup loves to call a "pillbox hat".

A few weeks ago, an informed source told me the true height of the building and when the signage, landscape, and lighting package was released, the building was dimensioned all the way to the top. The drawings used for the signage package appeared to be the construction drawings for the building. This was presented to the Downtown Design Review Board in PDF format. I had trouble reading the numbers, but it appeared the overall dimension matched my informed source.

I'm finally going to tell the forum the information about the height of the building, and once we know this information, we will have to start splitting hairs. From what I can determine, the height of the Omni Fort Worth Hotel will be 547 feet. Rounded to the nearest foot, this makes the Omni and the D.R. Horton Tower at the same height. Actual dimensions show that the D.R. Horton Tower is 546'-9" tall. The Omni's drawings indicate 547'-0". In viewing the skyline from a distance, it will all be a matter of perspective as to which of the two buildings appears taller. The finish floor of the new Omni should be about 4 feet lower than D.R. Horton's finish floor. Therefore, the top of the D.R. Horton Tower would be higher above sea level.

I'm now switching gears to the lighting, signage, and landscaping. There will be signs on the lower part of the building identifying the various restaurants tenants on the ground floor. They will be internally illuminated metal channel letters. There will be two signs on top of the hotel at 16th Floor that are 5'-0" tall and 38 feet long. These signs will also be internally illuminated metal channel letters reading "Omni Hotel". One of these signs faces south and the other faces east on that side of the west wing of the "L" shaped tower. There won't be any large Omni Signs on the west side of the building because that will have the entrance to the condominiums. Lighting and landscaping around the site will be similar to the Convention Center. At the time this was presented to the DDRB, there was nothing included to light the glass condominium portion of the structure. That is why I said it was nothing imaginative. The building will have standard red aircraft warning lights on top.

#102 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the information!!!

I love the design, (IMO) it will be the best looking tower in DTFW (by far)!!!

I do wish the night lighting was going to be more, perhaps something that is a bright white/clear transparent look at the top (IMO).

But, I give it an A, and for being a "new tower" in DTFW (last since early 80's) That makes it an A+++!!! biggrin.gif

Now lets get it up! cool.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#103 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

As reported earlier, they have poured the slab on grade for the lowest parking level on the north half of the site. It is beginning to rise out of the hole.

If they do decide to add decorative lighting to the tower portion, they can always go back to the Downtown Design Review Board with these revisions.

#104 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:20 AM

I would have thought that the "empty" top of the glass tower would have made a great place for some Pier 1-style lighting. Make the lit tops the new DTFW "theme" to replace the Christmas lights.

--

Kara B.

#105 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

IPB Image

IPB Image

Not sure what the "other glass box" is on top in 2nd image (lighted) unsure.gif

But thought I would share the images after I got throught playing around with the Omni. The lighted areas are more brighter than I ment... more transparent Is what I was going for (like Pier1)

Just MO!! smile.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#106 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:20 AM

That first image is *exactly* what I had in mind. The big box in the 2nd isn't glass, I think - I think it's concrete, or something similarly solid. The first image, though - YES! That's what I would have done.

Playing around with Google Sketchup and Google Earth, I made a (very) rough 3D version of the Omni and placed it in Google Earth:

IPB Image

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#107 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:59 AM

Both look very good. The Omni sign needs to be placed on the concrete bands below the top floor of the hotel on the south and east sides of the elevations.

#108 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:56 AM

IPB Image

I added the Omni sign (I hope right spot). AG, I agree, after playing with this image last night I too think it would look great! Get rid of the Christmas light display, after all BP has more bad bulbs that good bulbs, year around. I even think some section have dif. colored (yellow) bulbs. blink.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#109 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

^^^ That lighting would be perfect!

#110 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

I've now updated the construction photos on the first page of this thread. They were taken on January 28th.

I'm also surprised that very few of you have commented that the building may be 547'-0" tall. I'm curious to see everyone's opinion about us getting a new 2nd tallest building.

#111 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

I'm glad it's only going to be second tallest... I'd rather not see downtown get much taller than it is now.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#112 FW_Drew

FW_Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

I welcome the news and entire project. Looks good and will have an awesome affect on the skyline. Also helps to bring a better atmosphere to the Lancaster side of the map.

I think some of us are still kind of in disbelief, plus this kind of positive news throws a curve ball to the pessimistic types.

And thanks for all the great news - once again.

#113 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:24 PM

In case if you didn't read the earlier and detailed report on the height, the Omni will only be the 2nd tallest by 3".

#114 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

I (honestly) still do not believe it!

I hate to sound like the broken record….. But, it has been way to long since such “new” projects took place in DTFW! At that time I was kicking dirt around at Monnig Middle School and I am 34 dry.gif

A new 2nd tallest is great, I just wish it replaced BP in my opinion. However, I am soooo ready to start looking at it everyday from the west side! cheeburga.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#115 FW_Drew

FW_Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

I remember talks within our planning department back in 2001 when the entire project was planned to be around 13 stories. I'm glad they went all out on this and I guess it just won't sink in until we can see it.

#116 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

I've been doing a little research, and it appears the construction drawings for the hotel have been released in two parts. The first was the foundation, and the second was for the hotel. The total cost of the new Omni Fort Worth Hotel is $164,310,305. It also appears the building will have 34 floors set aside for hotel guests and condominium residents.

Perkins, the sign is in the right location.

#117 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:11 PM

In the words of my son...cool!

#118 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:51 PM

So the total floor count is 34 floors? That's less than I'd hope for. I was hoping for a last minute "city's tallest" announcement. I thought someone said somewhere 38 floors... Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part. I wonder what it's going to take for this city to get something over 40 floors or 600 ft built... other than a little vision and risk, of course. Don't get me wrong - I think it's great this (or anything for that matter) is getting buit in Ft Worth. This building actually expands the city vertically and horizontally so I am happy we are at least getting getting one new significant building built, even if it is the first building of any significant height built in this city since the mid 80's. (IMO, anything 20 stories or less is insignificant.) I just hope that once the TRV is built that the city of FW actually starts seeing some really impressive project built and the city core actually expand both- vertically, horizontally, and in density... I guess the thing that has always frustrated my about FW is that it's always fallen just shy of greatness when it comes to the scale and importance of the things this city builds. It's also sort of odd to me that in the Everything Is Bigger In Texas culture that we're so famous for, that FW has always resisted anything large scale for at least the last 50 years. I hope the TRV comes true as planned and truly changes all that. It would be a real shame (IMO) for such a grand vision, intended to transform this city, to fall short of expectations simply because no one is willing to "build it and they will come".

#119 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

Construction update:

While the dirt ramp is still there and not all of the first-level columns have been poured, they have started setting forms for the first elevated floor (two floors below grade).

#120 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:09 PM

Willy, from the latest drawings that I have obtained, it still appears there are four floors of mechanical tucked inside and partially above the sloped glass screen. The only thing is that mechanical penthouses don't count toward the number of floors in a building because they are not generally occupiable spaces.

#121 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

Thanks, John... Good to know.

#122 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

Sure wish I could see more of the Omni from my place, but I think I will see the top section OK. Really looking forward to seeing progress this summer.
IPB Image
www.fortworthview.com

#123 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:14 PM

I think I see the Green Lantern. Nice "Batman Show" style pic there. laugh.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#124 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

Look, you can see David Love's trainsets in the background. smile.gif
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#125 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:11 PM

I took pictures of the construction progress this weekend, and I will post them soon. In the meantime, here's a link to the Omni Web Cam:

http://www.austinpro...mni/webcam.html

#126 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:33 PM

That webcam is cool! I didn't know that was out there...
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#127 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

OMG, what a great webcam! The fast refresh rate is awesome. Much better than the Tower's old webcam.

#128 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

Something about the combination of scale, speed, and refresh rates makes it look like little toys or a cartoon, somewhat comical.

#129 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Feb 20 2007, 04:21 PM) View Post

Something about the combination of scale, speed, and refresh rates makes it look like little toys or a cartoon, somewhat comical.

It's not completely obvious in the webcam, but they started teraing out the dirt ramp today.

The camera must be on the south east roof corner of Burnet Plaza. This kind of sucks because there is nothing I can now tell you about the site that camera does not. It's amost the exact same view I have (I'm down a couple of floors from the top). It is kind of cool watching a car go by in real time, and then seeing it on the camera about 4 seconds later.

#130 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

Please don't hurt us. We mean no harm. We are just LITTLE PEOPLE.
www.iheartfw.com

#131 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:35 AM

I looked at the web cam this morning, and you can actually see that part of the ramp has already been removed from the web cam. Also, you can even see the shape of the tower portions of the building reading in the column and core layout in the basement.

#132 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

I like the camera too. I don't see it refreshing though, kind of looks like streaming to me. Now if they would just step up to a camera I could control and spin around for a look the other direction.

#133 FW_Drew

FW_Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:54 AM

Just thinking about some of the comments about missing the Condo boom here in FW, 98 condominiums have to take a few floors out of the 34 story tower portion of the CC Hotel. Anyone know exactly how many floors will be dedicated to the condominiums? I was thinking that most of the 34 stories would be, than if you compare FW today to what was here in 2000 - we have a 37 and a 34 story condo tower. Not really missing the boom I would say. And I guess thats not including the 2nd portion of the Old Tandy Buildings.

#134 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

Has anyone heard if there will be a 'ghostbar' type club on the roof?

#135 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

The condominiums will occupy 18-20 floors of the building. I haven't heard anything about a "ghostbar" type of club. From what I have seen and heard, all of the upper floors of the tower will either be residential or mechanical space.

#136 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(FW_Drew @ Feb 23 2007, 10:54 AM) View Post

Just thinking about some of the comments about missing the Condo boom here in FW, 98 condominiums have to take a few floors out of the 34 story tower portion of the CC Hotel. Anyone know exactly how many floors will be dedicated to the condominiums? I was thinking that most of the 34 stories would be, than if you compare FW today to what was here in 2000 - we have a 37 and a 34 story condo tower. Not really missing the boom I would say. And I guess thats not including the 2nd portion of the Old Tandy Buildings.

^^^ You are kidding, right? I mean, the whole idea of a BUILDING boom is the fact that a significant amount of buildings get BUILT. So, the Tower was already here and we have the CC hotel being built. Almost everything else is a redevelopment project. Maybe you consider building 1 building over 20 stories in over 20 years a boom, but most would not. And, even if we do count the 34 and 37 story towers as "boom time", well I think that 2 buildings is far short of a building boom, especially when one of the 2 tower was already here. If you really want see a building boom, go to Chicago, Miami, or Dallas.... but don't look at DT FW and think that is any thing near being a building boom. And, really, it's not about missing the condo boom as much as it is about just missing the building boom... There are a lot of cities around the country with completely stagnant growth, yet towers are going up everywhere (Dallas for one) and here sits poor FW with the fastest growing population of any major U.S. city and you practically have to bribe a builder to build something over 10 stories. Any way you look at it, FW has missed the boom. Sure, we've gotten some new stuff, but in general... we are lagging way behind other major cities when it comes to building. Heck, Dallas' Victory project alone practically matches what FW built in the 80's... during the largest building boom in this cities history - and that's just one of the big projects in Dallas..... The Tandy building and the Tower really aren't what I would consider "building" since they were just redevelopment of older buildings. To me, new building means a new building goes up and changes the skyline... We just don't hvae that happening, other than the CC hotel...

#137 FW_Drew

FW_Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(Willy1 @ Feb 25 2007, 12:49 AM) View Post

^^^ You are kidding, right? I mean, the whole idea of a BUILDING boom is the fact that a significant amount of buildings get BUILT. So, the Tower was already here and we have the CC hotel being built. Almost everything else is a redevelopment project. Maybe you consider building 1 building over 20 stories in over 20 years a boom, but most would not. And, even if we do count the 34 and 37 story towers as "boom time", well I think that 2 buildings is far short of a building boom, especially when one of the 2 tower was already here. If you really want see a building boom, go to Chicago, Miami, or Dallas.... but don't look at DT FW and think that is any thing near being a building boom. And, really, it's not about missing the condo boom as much as it is about just missing the building boom... There are a lot of cities around the country with completely stagnant growth, yet towers are going up everywhere (Dallas for one) and here sits poor FW with the fastest growing population of any major U.S. city and you practically have to bribe a builder to build something over 10 stories. Any way you look at it, FW has missed the boom. Sure, we've gotten some new stuff, but in general... we are lagging way behind other major cities when it comes to building. Heck, Dallas' Victory project alone practically matches what FW built in the 80's... during the largest building boom in this cities history - and that's just one of the big projects in Dallas..... The Tandy building and the Tower really aren't what I would consider "building" since they were just redevelopment of older buildings. To me, new building means a new building goes up and changes the skyline... We just don't hvae that happening, other than the CC hotel...

Building boom is a term that you used, so maybe your definition is different from mine. From your last message I gather that your definition is more of a skyscraper boom, rather than a construction boom. For god’s sake man, they were going to implode the tower. Does it really make a difference if they were to take it down, then build another 37 story condo tower or just refurbish an already existing building? Would that then make it part of your building boom theory?

Approximately 367 owner-occupied units and 324 rental units were scheduled for delivery in 2006, according to the State of Downtown, a publication of Downtown Fort Worth Inc. The expansion doesn’t stop there. Another 914 owner-occupied units and 1,035 rental units have been announced and are scheduled for completion in 2007 and beyond.

If 98 Condominiums are going to take 18-20 floors of the CC hotel, well then you do the math for 367 in 1 year.

You're right dude, I don’t see any signs of a boom. A matter of fact, I think we back tracked.

#138 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 19 2007, 11:11 PM) View Post

I took pictures of the construction progress this weekend, and I will post them soon. In the meantime, here's a link to the Omni Web Cam:

http://www.austinpro...mni/webcam.html

Mr.Roberts will there be underground tunnels connecting the convention center,and/or the parking garage to the Omni?I see what looks like a frame of some sort under Houston St. on the webcam.

Happy Independence Day,my fellow Tejanos!
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#139 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

OH SNAP! That's right, HAPPY INDY DAY!
www.iheartfw.com

#140 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

In a milestone, of sorts, the first pieces of the structure (columns on the north west corner) are starting to peek above grade.

#141 K.L.

K.L.

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(FW_Drew @ Feb 25 2007, 03:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Willy1 @ Feb 25 2007, 12:49 AM) View Post

Building boom is a term that you used, so maybe your definition is different from mine. From your last message I gather that your definition is more of a skyscraper boom, rather than a construction boom. For god’s sake man, they were going to implode the tower. Does it really make a difference if they were to take it down, then build another 37 story condo tower or just refurbish an already existing building? Would that then make it part of your building boom theory?

Approximately 367 owner-occupied units and 324 rental units were scheduled for delivery in 2006, according to the State of Downtown, a publication of Downtown Fort Worth Inc. The expansion doesn’t stop there. Another 914 owner-occupied units and 1,035 rental units have been announced and are scheduled for completion in 2007 and beyond.

If 98 Condominiums are going to take 18-20 floors of the CC hotel, well then you do the math for 367 in 1 year.

You're right dude, I don’t see any signs of a boom. A matter of fact, I think we back tracked.

I have mixed emotions about this comment. In other big cities, this would not be considered as a building boom. We have a greater population than Atlanta, Georgia and you've seen their skyline. If you have been a resident of Fort Worth for over 20 years, you consider this a building boom. (lol) I believe the term "building boom" is opinionated. Some go by what they can see from the freeway. At the moment, I believe we have 3 or 4 tower cranes up which residents of fort worth haven't seen in 20 YEARS. We as residents of this city must remember that cities such as Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Miami, and a few others have 3 or 4 tower cranes outside of downtown or in their suburbs. I do believe this city is playing it safe. I am appreciative of the smaller buildings being built yet at the sametime, I am ashamed that cities with smaller populations are getting more notice than fort worth because of their "stack em up" drive. If you disagree with me, look up these cities and see what they are building. Miami, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Boston, and Dallas. I picked Miami, Boston, and Atlanta because our population is actually LARGER than theirs. I picked Vegas because our populations are close and I picked Dallas so that those of you that disagree can see what a real big city building boom is like in close driving distance. If you feel like my comment is harsh, let me put it like this. Fort Worth is doing alot of building, but this is not a SKYSCRAPER BOOM ! We are lacking behind when it comes to skyscrapers and the cities i mentioned are wayyyyyy ahead. On the freeway if you're a tourist, this city doesn't look that powerful. If you live here, hooooray for fort worth!!! I guess building something is better than building nothing which is what we did for 20 years(lol) K.L.

#142 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(K.L. @ Mar 19 2007, 07:18 PM) View Post

I am ashamed that cities with smaller populations are getting more notice than fort worth because of their "stack em up" drive. If you disagree with me, look up these cities and see what they are building. Miami, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Boston, and Dallas. I picked Miami, Boston, and Atlanta because our population is actually LARGER than theirs. I picked Vegas because our populations are close and I picked Dallas so that those of you that disagree can see what a real big city building boom is like in close driving distance.

Except...Miami, Atlanta, and Boston are MUCH larger than Fort Worth. I love the fact that FW is getting bigger, personally, but I also realize that city populations only mean so much. In this case, you have to look at metro populations to effectively compare a city's "building boom." No one would tell you that Fort Worth is bigger than those cities...and it's not because we don't act our size (or some nonsense like that), it's because we actually aren't that big. So relatively speaking, FW isn't booming to the level of a Miami or Atlanta...but then again, they have a LOT more critical mass than we do, so it's really not that depressing.

Las Vegas is a special case, too. Las Vegas isn't "booming" because it's big. It's booming because it's almost entirely dependant on an industry that personifies two things skyscrapers need - ego and risk. To say that Fort Worth, a city with a large, diversified economy, isn't booming as much as Las Vegas misses the whole part of the story where Fort Worth doesn't have Wynns or Trumps trying to outdo each other in a contest - we're just simple supply and demand. And I'm perfectly fine with that. smilewink.gif

Edited by John T Roberts, 20 March 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#143 FW_Drew

FW_Drew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

K.L. I agree with most of what you are saying, the main point that I was trying to make is that I feel like we didn’t miss the condo boom. The way I look at this is that you can either think one of two ways on this topic. If you think we missed the condo boom then you are basically saying that we are not building enough condos and take the risk and put up some gosh darn condo towers. Other point of view is looking at all these condos that are already being built and realizing that this great but it can’t last forever, also that 914 owner occupied units in a couple years is indeed a significant number. I won’t get into office towers (too long and obvious,) and I can’t really compare FW with all those other cities. Not yet. Are we another San Jose? Maybe, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Glad to get a response though, this forum has really died lately. Who likes to read negative posts after negative posts – not me. I at least try to throw some positive things out there every now and then or at least put a positive twist on it.

#144 K.L.

K.L.

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE(K.L. @ Mar 20 2007, 12:57 AM) View Post

QUOTE(FW_Drew @ Mar 19 2007, 08:32 PM) View Post

K.L. I agree with most of what you are saying, the main point that I was trying to make is that I feel like we didn’t miss the condo boom. The way I look at this is that you can either think one of two ways on this topic. If you think we missed the condo boom then you are basically saying that we are not building enough condos and take the risk and put up some gosh darn condo towers. Other point of view is looking at all these condos that are already being built and realizing that this great but it can’t last forever, also that 914 owner occupied units in a couple years is indeed a significant number. I won’t get into office towers (too long and obvious,) and I can’t really compare FW with all those other cities. Not yet. Are we another San Jose? Maybe, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Glad to get a response though, this forum has really died lately. Who likes to read negative posts after negative posts – not me. I at least try to throw some positive things out there every now and then or at least put a positive twist on it.

I hate to admit it, but you guys are right now that i think about it. Especially when it comes to Vegas. I still dont see this as a building boom though. I see it as Fort Worth making up for 20 years.

#145 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:37 AM

[quote]where Fort Worth doesn't have Wynns or Trumps trying to outdo each other in a _____ _____ contest - we're just simple supply and demand. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

2 years ago you would have had my hide for such an arrangement of choice words, so I guess we can post just about anything here these days, ehh JTRoberts?

Intern priviledges I suppose??? biggrin.gif

Edited by John T Roberts, 20 March 2007 - 06:46 PM.

www.iheartfw.com

#146 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:39 AM

Hey now, I wasn't the first person on here to refer to such a thing...and if my history teacher can say it referring to medieval churches, I figured "why not?" Thanks, though, for making it awkwardly obvious. newlaugh.gif

#147 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

I'll take the credit as the first member of the Forum to refer to what I called a "Freudian fixation on height" on the part of some posters. My phrasing is just subtler than Jonny's.

#148 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

Hey, I got reprimanded for saying noone has the "b-a-l-l-s". I'm not complaining about Johnny's comment. I think such phrases are fine when used in the right context.

#149 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

All Balls - Aceyalone (1995)

oh, wait - wrong thread. sorry. i'll repost in the proper place.

#150 K.L.

K.L.

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(gdvanc @ Mar 20 2007, 12:33 PM) View Post

All Balls - Aceyalone (1995)

oh, wait - wrong thread. sorry. i'll repost in the proper place.

lol newlaugh.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Hotels, New Construction, Skyscrapers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users