90 replies to this topic

#1 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

Is that Eye Works location, on the corner of 7th and Foch, EVER going to open ?
I seems like the 'Eye Works Coming Soon' sign has been sitting in the windows of that space for 2 years.

#2 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I would imagine not since there hasn't been any work done in that amount of time. Everytime I walk by, it looks the same on the inside.

#3 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, I think you're right.
I guess the space will become Urban Outfitters.

#4 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

I've thought that area would be small for Urban Outfitters, but it's a cool little building.

#5 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

12835236163_c70a58924e_o.jpg

looks likes it's going to be here 

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Oh neat! We just heard about it the other day, now we are seeing it. Good stuff ERDOC. That'll blend in very nicely with W7. I wonder when ground will break?

#7 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Wow!

#8 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'll believe it when it's built.

--

Kara B.

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Wow!

Is this development and company one in the same?

http://www.eyeworks...._group/overview

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

.... no way. 

photobucket-shocked.gif

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Get that built as depicted in that rendering and have someone replace that tacky shopping center on the NE corner with something just as sharp looking and that would be one of the coolest intersections in town.

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

Get that built as depicted in that rendering and have someone replace that tacky shopping center on the NE corner with something just as sharp looking and that would be one of the coolest intersections in town.

I actually imagine a hotel where that shopping center is. 

Some of those spots could move across the street or down by the Vue Du Musse...

7fwPZnE.png

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

The whole north side of 7th is disappointingly suburban.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

It would be a ideal location for an upscale hotel if Museum Place's plans for a hotel nearby do not pan out.

http://www.star-tele...d-for-fort.html

#15 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

It would be a ideal location for an upscale hotel if Museum Place's plans for a hotel nearby do not pan out.

http://www.star-tele...d-for-fort.html

Yeah, I know about Museum Place's plans. But I always thought that location would be better since it's on the intersection of two major streets. 

Eventually, something will replace that strip mall. And what ever it is, it may be something that we're not even thinking about. 

7fwPZnE.png

#16 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Maybe I've missed this somewhere, but which corner?

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Vacant lot on the southeast corner.

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Yes. Including your posting, the rendering has now been posted three times. 

#19 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Maybe the image isn't showing up completely on my computer, but all I see indicated in the image is University Drive & West 7th- not the southeast corner.  Thank you to JBB for answering my question.

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Maybe the image isn't showing up completely on my computer, but all I see indicated in the image is University Drive & West 7th- not the southeast corner.  Thank you to JBB for answering my question.

Yeah, it's on that corner where the West 7th development is. 

I just really hope they do something with that strip mall. I think the question is more of 'when' not 'if'.

7fwPZnE.png

#21 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, but it lets some light in. It's not downtown.  Maybe spruce-up the ho-hum building facades.

#22 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, but it lets some light in. It's not downtown.  Maybe spruce-up the ho-hum building facades.

"It's not downtown" - so?  Every place in the central city should be designed around walkability, downtown or no.  There's a pretty big gulf between "downtown" and "crappy strip malls and fast-food."  Building up some decent buildings along the north side would make the whole place more walkable and enjoyable.

--

Kara B.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Not to mention pretty much everyting between 7th and Lancaster is really quite nice. 

#24 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

Not it's not downtown... but it's still in the core of the city. 

Pretty much anything within a 3-4 mile radius of downtown should be much more urban than it is. God knows the north side of that street needs as much fixing up as the southern end. 

It'll happen, but it needs to happen much sooner...

7fwPZnE.png

#25 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

"It's not downtown" - so?  Every place in the central city should be designed around walkability, downtown or no.  There's a pretty big gulf between "downtown" and "crappy strip malls and fast-food."  Building up some decent buildings along the north side would make the whole place more walkable and enjoyable.

I don't think you need tall buildings everywhere to be walkable.

In my opinion, downtown is it's own walkable area.  Then you have the river sort of "separating or defining" the next area west, Montgomery/West7/So7/Museum Place.  This area does not need to be "downtown-like" high rise to be it's own walkable zone.  It's not practical to walk the distance to/from downtown to 7th, so it doesn't need to be contiguous.  There's sidewalks for thse like Brian to do so, but it's not for all.

I like the "tall on one side and lower on the other" aspect of 7th right now, it's not a cold concrete canyon.  It just needs some facelifts and more fun tenants...again, this is my opinion.

#26 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

The buildings can be 1-2 stories, but they still have to be built to urban standards in that part of the city.

I mean, looking at the north side of that street, you'd think you were out in Burleson or something if you'd take away the MP warehouse. I stopped by Target last night and it felt like I was here on the southwest side. 

I can't help but to wonder how it would look if it ALL of it was built more urban. 

7fwPZnE.png

#27 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:40 AM

it's easy to talk about what needs to be done but most of the lots on the north side are 10,000 to 20,000 sq feet and individually owned. to get enough parking for a development you can't go very high or you'll outstrip your parking supply. in fact even zoning can't affect this reality .. hence why new developers (like velvet taco for example) keep the original structure. what was unique about the northside of the street was that it was one developer and one property owner (acme) that accumulated enough land to build up. 

#28 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

That's why the zoning needs to change with regards to minimum parking requirements.  When an area is "dense" and walkable you don't need tons of parking.  The people that live nearby can just walk, ride a bike, or take a streetcar.

I think part of the current issue with these areas is that they are what people have been wanting, but since there are so few areas they become destinations.  You need tons of parking for destinations.  We need more walkable areas so that everyone doesn't have to drive to the few that exist.  That's what kills me about places like Southlake Town Square.  It's really just a fancy outdoor shopping mall because no one can realistically walk there.  It's fake urbanism.

Personally I would love to see tons of small mom and pop stores/restaurants.  It makes for a much more vibrant place than one big development.  It adds a lot more variety  I love going back home and walking the main street of my old New England town.  In less than a mile you have just about every type of restaurant and tons of shopping available.  There is a big parking garage around the back that you can park in and then spend your day just walking around.  Imagine how dead this street would be if every business was required to have a minimum number of parking spaces.  http://goo.gl/maps/srlFe

#29 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

That's why the zoning needs to change with regards to minimum parking requirements.  When an area is "dense" and walkable you don't need tons of parking.  The people that live nearby can just walk, ride a bike, or take a streetcar.

I think part of the current issue with these areas is that they are what people have been wanting, but since there are so few areas they become destinations.  You need tons of parking for destinations.  We need more walkable areas so that everyone doesn't have to drive to the few that exist.  That's what kills me about places like Southlake Town Square.  It's really just a fancy outdoor shopping mall because no one can realistically walk there.  It's fake urbanism.

Personally I would love to see tons of small mom and pop stores/restaurants.  It makes for a much more vibrant place than one big development.  It adds a lot more variety  I love going back home and walking the main street of my old New England town.  In less than a mile you have just about every type of restaurant and tons of shopping available.  There is a big parking garage around the back that you can park in and then spend your day just walking around.  Imagine how dead this street would be if every business was required to have a minimum number of parking spaces.  http://goo.gl/maps/srlFe

This, exactly.  A million times this.  We made "walkable" illegal through zoning and such, and now that we've propped up a couple of walkable neighborhoods again they are swarmed.  Every part of the city should have a Magnolia or a 7th Street of its own.  That is the true long-term solution.

--

Kara B.

#30 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

It would be like downtown Portland!

If you've never been, you really should go, I've never seen anything like it in the US. It's like taking the best features of W7th and Sundance and Magnolia copying them across the entire downtown core. It's amazing.

#31 Zetna

Zetna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

This building is like almost any other commercial building built since 2005...it's okay, but kinda a yawner. I love the term "fake urbanism" when applied to places like Southlake...there are shopping areas that try to look like turn of the (last) century main streets (I know one near my parent's house in Arlington), but the "street" part turns into a huge parking lot so you never get a sense of "neighborhood"...anyway, I'd apply "fake urbanism" to those type of projects too. I, too, love Portland! San Francisco, smaller in population than Dallas, has a great urban feel that Dallas can't even get close to. The differences I see between this area and Portland / San Francisco are: 1) People driving there have a very polite attitude towards pedestrians and people on bikes. 2) They have a coordinated transportation system (bus / trolley / cable car)  3) The best areas of the cities have good live / work environments and intact neighborhood identities. 4) They have a mild climate (helps to promote outdoor activities). I think we can do a lot on all four points including the last one. I see new ideas in the mideast where cities / buildings are created to take in breezes and where the architecture shades the streets....not sure if the streets / buses would be full on a humid, 105 degree summer day though. I don't know if the city has established a direction for growth above just zoning guidelines or if it just going to let the outcome be whatever private developers choose or whatever the city's tax base needs to be. Fort Worth seems to be growing at a very fast rate and I'd like to think the city has some rationale behind its growth and not just a willy-nilly attitude where developers are in total control.

#32 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

regions bank is going to go in here ... which makes this likely to be built 

i wouldn't call it a yawner at all. i think it's beautiful; right in and right out is all they had to work with on a less than ideal lot and it'll cover the concrete blocks of the parking garage behind it. 

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Planned for a small curving site at one of the city's most heavily travelled intersections, this new building will house an optometry practice as well as a tenant lease areas. The mixed use building will have an entry lobby and retail spaces on the ground floor and office space above. The rooftop will feature a large covered terrace with views of the cultural district. Structured parking for 140 cars is located on the back of the site, screened from the street by the office building. Glass curtain walls, metal panel and masonry are intended to reflect the surrounding architectural context. The long curving façade is divided into three related facades to relieve the length of the overall façade and provide identities to the tenants occupying the two sides. Curtainwall-clad egress stair adjacent to the lobby adds a sculptural element and focal point.

Eyeworks%20fort%20worth%20texas%20commer

http://gideontoal.co...ks#.U2mOMPldUlR

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:15 AM

An excavator is on site, along with signs for construction companies Muckleroy & Falls aswell as Hasen construction. 

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

Dirt's turning... 

10713_10204701260644852_1325834838335036

7fwPZnE.png

#36 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

I saw that over the weekend - awesome!  A substantial upgrade for that corner.  Just waiting on the last strip mall to go away now.

--

Kara B.

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

Almost exactly 3 years after this thread was started to. And the first post complains it had been 2 years. 

Things do happen here, they can just a while sometimes!

#38 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

In fairness, the original post had nothing with the building being constructed now. It was about an Eyeworks location originally planned down the street. No one posted about this building until the end of February of last year.

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Ah, I did not know that. This building seems fantastic though. 

#40 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

it was originally going where the Urban Outfitters ended up....  Still, this is lightning fast compared to some some other projects.  (I'm looking at you, Museum Place Hotel, starting in early 2014!)

#41 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

it was originally going where the Urban Outfitters ended up....  Still, this is lightning fast compared to some some other projects.  (I'm looking at you, Museum Place Hotel, starting in early 2014)

Sentence in parenthesis not clear...was construction of a hotel there to start in 2014, or 2015?

I'm looking forward to seeing the glassy finish of the Eyeworks building.  Clearly an eye-catching location for an optometrist!

#42 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Apologies for the unclear griping.  The planned hotel in the wedge between 7th and Camp Bowie, just to the east of Van Cliburn, has a sign posted saying "starting Early 2014". 

All of which has nothing to do with the Eyeworks building other than to say, it's a cause for celebration when dirt is actually getting turned!

#43 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

I guess now we focus on that strip mall. 

Anyone got any ideas? Because I already have a couple...

7fwPZnE.png

#44 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Are y'all sending in the urbanist commandos?

I saw that over the weekend - awesome!  A substantial upgrade for that corner.  Just waiting on the last strip mall to go away now.

I guess now we focus on that strip mall. 

Anyone got any ideas? Because I already have a couple...

#45 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

Are y'all sending in the urbanist commandos?

If you're sending somebody over there have them pick up some Jimmy John's for me. 

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

The official groundbreaking ceremony was held today.  This is from the Business Press.

http://fwbusinesspre...fice-tower.aspx

#47 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

Bets the regions sign that was temporarily up on the community bank site was intended to be here.

#48 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

The official groundbreaking ceremony was held today.  This is from the Business Press.

http://fwbusinesspre...fice-tower.aspx

Does this building actually qualify as a "tower"?  Is it instead a mid-rise?

May I add that I think it is a building that will fit nicely within its surroundings.

#49 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

By most definitions, it is a low-rise or at best, a mid-rise building.

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

It looked today like they were putting in he first pieces for a tower crane today.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cultural District, West 7th, University Drive, New Construction

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users