- Sunday service

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

I'm confused about how the cost for "locomotive miles" will be reduced by more than 2/3.

Regardless, this is good news that I'm very happy to hear. :)

-Dylan

#3 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

I'm confused about how the cost for "locomotive miles" will be reduced by more than 2/3.

Regardless, this is good news that I'm very happy to hear. :)

Costs for the diesel fuel is down about 2/3rds????? ;)

TRE bought most of the locomotives second hand from GO Transit, all the F59PH locomotives, the two F59PHI locomotives were bought new over 10 years ago. So there's little capital costs remaining to be paid, they have all had mid-life refits, so most of their costs is associated with fuel, maintenance, and labor, and labor isn't accounted by locomotive miles, and I'm not sure if maintenance is or not. 

#4 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

If I was reading the article correctly, it sounds like one way they will reduce cost is to carry passengers as far as they can when they are moving the locomotives to the maintenance shed when the train used to be empty. The train is going anyway, might as well put some passengers on it.

#5 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

Reminds me of riding the green line in Boston as a kid. A train's journey could terminate at any station along the line and often without much warning. "All off at Boylston. All off at Boylston!" the operator would command. And you would disembark the train and wait on the platform for the next train going your way. Of course the trains were coming and going so frequently it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

Even with more frequent trips on the TRE, an unexpected delay at an intermediate station could ruin a trip quickly. It is therefore important to communicate to all potential passengers exactly what the trip will entail so the passengers can plan accordingly. I think it's a great idea, especially since the inconvenience of a shortened trip will be partially offset by the increased frequency, but I see growing pains and disgruntled riders in the future.

Getting the system closer to feeling like it's on-demand to infrequent riders will easily turn them into frequent riders. Changing the current model from, "let's see if we could plan a trip to ____ on the train" to "hey, let's just take the train instead of driving," because one will "be waiting" is the key to transit growth in this area where most people don't use public transportation. Sunday service will do a lot to eliminate or at least reduce the need to plan trips, so I hope that's on the horizon at some point in the near future.

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

S-T's take on the plan to increase service on the TRE:

http://www.star-tele...le81815597.html

Maybe if ridership can be increased this way they would be able to afford to spring for Sunday service. I understand that commuters are the chief target market for this service, but they could attract some airport traffic if they covered Sundays.

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

Changes go into effect the 24th. 

#8 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

Here's a link to the new schedule: http://www.trinityra.../24oct2016.html

Unfortunately, there's a problem I notice: The new TRE schedule no longer has trains aligning with busses at Fort Worth ITC Station (:15 and :45).

Another small problem: TRE trains will run slightly slower than they currently do (:61 minutes from end-to-end instead of ~58 minutes).

---------------

Despite ITC transfer problems, the new schedule appears to be a massive improvement over the current schedule.

-Dylan

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

So does the train that leaves after AAC events no longer exist?

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

That would appear to be the case. From the AAC page:

"Note: As of October 24, 2016, 20 Minute Special trains will no longer operate. Weekdays, train 2961 departs Victory Station at 10:33 p.m. Saturdays, train 3937 departs Victory Station at 10:35 p.m."

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

And weekday trains that leave at 11:05 and 11:39 don't go all the way to FW, stopping at Center port. I can understand getting rid of the events train in favor of more trains, but not having an option to get all the way back to T&P after 10:30 is a bummer.

#12 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

So does this mean no more TRE to and from the Mavs games unless I get on at Centerport?

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

If you can make the 10:33 train, you can still use it to go past Centerport.  Do games typically last longer than 3 hours with a 7:30 start?

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:29 AM

Nice weekend filler piece from Gordon Dickson on the upcoming 20th anniversary of the TRE:

http://www.star-tele...e117201988.html

Couple of thoughts:

• "We love being able to take a bicycle on the train. In most cases, there’s plenty of room near the handicap seats for a cyclist to sit next to his or her bike.  We don’t love people bringing a bike onto a full train."  Seriously?  Cyclists are only okay when it's convenient for everyone?  That was kind of a jackass comment in an otherwise nice article.
  • I laughed a little when I read that he included quotes from a rider from Colleyville.  You know, the town that's gone out of it's way to let us know that they don't won't commuter rail because it's loud and is only used by vagrants and criminals.
  • I didn't realize the old Budd cars had been completely phased out of regular service.  Dickson says they had "style", but I'm not sure I would go that far with the praise.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

Some schedule alterations to meet AAC events.

http://www.trinityra...html?item_id=67

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users