Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

What about the trail bridge by the "panther island pavillion" stage? Doesn't that connect the trail to downtown, closer to downtown?

#52 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

What about the trail bridge by the "panther island pavillion" stage? Doesn't that connect the trail to downtown, closer to downtown?

Sure enough. But a ways up. At this morning's ceremony, Debra Ferguson (Morning show on channel 5) commented that she lives in the Park Place neighborhood and his happy to be able to bike to Trinity Park.

I think we might be surprised at what a draw it will be for that area and Trinity Park. Is it worth paying interest on as a taxpayer. No. But to me, nothing is. Nothing.
www.fortworthview.com

#53 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

The first people to cross. (Each of these people a somebody.)

Technically, the very first person crossing is not quite a somebody. The woman driving the pedicab is not well known, but I know her. She started the pedicab service and also works as a local realtor.

Sure, but you have to climb Tailor Street to actually get to downtown. It is one of the steeper hills in Fort Worth, used as a kind of benchmark/rite of passage by cyclists. I rode with a group last night that crossed from Trinity Park to the east side of the river. We followed the trail to the old Leonard's/Tandy Center lots, then exited them on Lexington and rode into downtown. That was a bit of a climb, but nowhere near as bad as Tailor Street. (Fort Worth seems flat until you start riding a bike.)

The climb is an issue, though. Downtown is on land that is significantly above Trinity Park, which basically a flood plain for the Trinity. To really take advantage of the new bridge relative to downtown, there needs to be access to downtown that a casual rider can climb.

And when you talk of connecting to downtown, closer to downtown, it depends on where you're coming from. If you're coming from the north, then, yeah, that is a good place to approach (although steep). If you're coming from the west or southwest, it's quite a long ride to get to downtown, only to have to climb Tailor Street.

I think there will, in fact, be a lot of bicycle and pedestrian traffic over the new bridge. I think it will have a positive impact on both transit and quality of life will prove well worth the public expenditure, Mr. Luenser's comments notwithstanding.
My blog: Doohickie

#54 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

In the last few weeks there has also been a new bridge at the southwest end of the Panther Island Parking area/former Tandy Subway parking lot. It crosses the creek that joins the Trinity there. Not sure if this has been discussed. It went up very fast compare to the Tilley bridge and closes a missing link in the trail on the east side of the river.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#55 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Andy, thanks for the information. I was not aware they were building a bridge at that location. I think that is something a little more than just a creek. If the bridge is where I'm thinking, it's actually the old Trinity River channel. I have the day off and I'm going to be riding on the trail a little later, so maybe I can check it out.

#56 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

And when you talk of connecting to downtown, closer to downtown, it depends on where you're coming from. If you're coming from the north, then, yeah, that is a good place to approach (although steep). If you're coming from the west or southwest, it's quite a long ride to get to downtown, only to have to climb Tailor Street.

I think there will, in fact, be a lot of bicycle and pedestrian traffic over the new bridge. I think it will have a positive impact on both transit and quality of life will prove well worth the public expenditure, Mr. Luenser's comments notwithstanding.

It looks to me like when you cross the bridge from Trinity Park, you are going to be on Forest Park blvd for a while, whether you go north or south from there. Anybody know if there are plans to add bike lanes to Forest Park Blvd?

#57 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

There is a bike path along the river, going north from the bridge toward the old Leonard's/Tandy lot. There is a gap to the south, but within less than a hundred feet, there is a paved trail going to the south as well. I don't know exactly where that comes out. There is a light and a crossing at Forest Park and 5th Street which goes toward downtown just north of 7th. There is also a bike lane on 10th which is closer to the new bridge than 5th (between Lancaster and 7th) which goes toward downtown and there is a bike route on 10th (which jogs over to Texas St. if you're going away from the river). However, there is no connector between the trail west of Forest Park Blvd. and 10th St. running east from Forest Park. I hope this is corrected (as well as the connector to the trail to the south).

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

I just got back from riding the trail north from the new bridge. The trail connects without getting on a street to the two bridges over the Clear Fork and the West Fork right next to the old Leonard's/Tandy Parking Lot, just north of Downtown. There is a paved trail on the east/south side of the river all the way north from the Tilley Bridge to Taylor Street.

#59 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

Good to know. (We didn't follow it that far.)

#60 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

This could go in a couple of different threads:

FORTWORHOLOGY.COM: City Officially Considering Forest Park Road Diet Plan

Kevin reports the city is looking at making Forest Park Blvd more bike friendly from Rosedale down to Park Hill. I hope that the city also looks at making a similar change for the stretch of Forest Park Blvd from Rosedale north to the Phyllis Tilley bridge. This would make the PT bridge much more useful for CD'ers biking to the Near Southside, and Near Southsiders biking to the CD.

#61 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

This could go in a couple of different threads:

FORTWORHOLOGY.COM: City Officially Considering Forest Park Road Diet Plan

Kevin reports the city is looking at making Forest Park Blvd more bike friendly from Rosedale down to Park Hill. I hope that the city also looks at making a similar change for the stretch of Forest Park Blvd from Rosedale north to the Phyllis Tilley bridge. This would make the PT bridge much more useful for CD'ers biking to the Near Southside, and Near Southsiders biking to the CD.

Horrible idea. (Constricting traffic)

It might help the area if they shut the road down altogether?
www.fortworthview.com

#62 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

Are you talking about my idea (FP Boulevard North of Rosedale) or the city's idea (South of Rosedale to Park Hill)??

Please explain how increasing safety for pedestrians, bikes, and cars, on a street through a residential neighborhood, is a "horrible idea". If it happens to slow some cars down, I'm okay with that. Did you read in the article the number of major accidents they've had on that street in the last couple of years? "63 minor accidents, 21 major accidents (a major accident is loosely defined as one resulting in hospitalization), and seven hit & runs". I'd say a change would do some good there.

I bet you'd be all for it if it was on your famous walk from "Old Town" to Target to get milk! Better sidewalks on the 7th street bridge are okay, but not on Forest Park, that increases traffic congestion!

#63 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Impressive... Google Maps already shows a bike route where the Tilley bridge is.

#64 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Are you talking about my idea (FP Boulevard North of Rosedale) or the city's idea (South of Rosedale to Park Hill)??

Please explain how increasing safety for pedestrians, bikes, and cars, on a street through a residential neighborhood, is a "horrible idea". If it happens to slow some cars down, I'm okay with that. Did you read in the article the number of major accidents they've had on that street in the last couple of years? "63 minor accidents, 21 major accidents (a major accident is loosely defined as one resulting in hospitalization), and seven hit & runs". I'd say a change would do some good there.

I bet you'd be all for it if it was on your famous walk from "Old Town" to Target to get milk! Better sidewalks on the 7th street bridge are okay, but not on Forest Park, that increases traffic congestion!

I am talking about anywhere they try to constrict traffic. Anywhere. Including on 7th street. (BTW milk is deadly, except for newborn cows)

Stupid ideas are stupid anywhere. Restricting auto movement contributes to pollution and uses oil, mostly foreign. And I am not against sidewalks. Outside of the fact that they are not cost effective as I have seldom seen anyone but a bum on my walks. As lazy as people have become, sidewalks may be dead.
www.fortworthview.com

#65 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

I am talking about anywhere they try to constrict traffic. Anywhere. Including on 7th street. (BTW milk is deadly, except for newborn cows)

Stupid ideas are stupid anywhere. Restricting auto movement contributes to pollution and uses oil, mostly foreign. And I am not against sidewalks. Outside of the fact that they are not cost effective as I have seldom seen anyone but a bum on my walks. As lazy as people have become, sidewalks may be dead.

meh, lots to argue with there, but I'll pass. We're getting pretty far from the topic, which is the Phyllis Tilley bridge. I just brought up the FP boulevard in hopes there is a plan to bring the bike lanes further north to link up with the bridge. If you want to talk about that idea, here's the place to do it. You appear to be upset about the part of the plan that's south of Rosedale. You could start a different thread somewhere and get people to argue with you there.

#66 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Here is a photo that I took of the bridge last week.

Posted Image

#67 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

That is one good looking bridge!

#68 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Agree with Longhornz. Nice bridge and nice shot.
www.fortworthview.com

#69 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

Thanks. I actually have some with a cyclist riding across it.

#70 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Impressive... Google Maps already shows a bike route where the Tilley bridge is.

I saw that too... it seems like it won't make a bike route over the bridge though - it keeps wanting to route me up to 7th street.

#71 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, I noticed that too. Hopefully they'll get that fixed quickly. Google Maps has an excellent Problem Resolution process that gets the maps updated very quickly; I would expect to see that fixed within a month.

#72 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Saw in the Business Press that the bridge received a gold medal from the state engineering organization. Pretty cool:
http://www.fwbusines...412&TM=33094.48

Nice that the honor goes to a Fort Worth company too (Freese and Nichols).

#73 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Nice little bit of news. It is a beautiful little bridge.

#74 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

And as someone who frequently uses it, often with cycling groups, I can say it's already changing the way people move in and out of downtown. There is still a hill climb to get downtown from the north/west, but the trail on the east side of the river that the bridge connects to provides several different options that give cyclists choices: Taylor Street is a robust climb, coming up through the Tandy lots is more moderated, and coming up on 5th street gives you a few hills with flats in between. The second two choices are okay for most beginning cyclists I think.

#75 bg-raves

bg-raves

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:riding my bike, construction

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

The Phyllis Tilley Bridge won the Prize Bridge Award, category Special Purpose, given by the National Steel Bridge Alliance which is a subgroup of AISC.  

http://www.aisc.org/...A.aspx?id=20844

Fun to see AISC recognize a structure in Fort Worth.  

#76 bg-raves

bg-raves

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:riding my bike, construction

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

The bridge is on the cover of this month's issue of Modern Steel Construction.  

http://digitaleditio...ation/?i=209760

Article on page 32.

#77 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Interesting way to read an online magazine.

#78 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yes, it is an technique for delivering information.  It is using software called "Flip book".  There are several flavors of flip book software.  Some flavors are free.   Some folks will use flip book for documenting local cities - then sell them online or through their local Tourist Associations.

Rodrigo is a friend of mine who lives in Manchester UK.  He likes to document special 'time and events'.  This one is called Granada TV.  He incorporated his own  panorama imaging.  He works with a company called Granada TV there in Manchester England, UK.

Mouse over or screen tap (touch screens) the lower right page corner.  A few pages in you will see a circle in the upper right corner.  When clicked it will open a scene panorama for "its almost like being there" experience.

http://www.360panovi...zine/index.html

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users