4 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

An interesting law going through state congress currently. It would require a majority of residents in an area being annexed to vote to agree to be annexed.

http://www.mystatesm...EfOIKIJfZNlC3N/

Fort Worth has done a lot of growth via annexation over its entire history. I can see a few things happening with this. If annexation suddenly became much more difficult, I wonder if it would maybe act as an artificial urban growth boundary and force cities like Fort Worth to think harder about how it uses land, perhaps leading to more dense developments and less sprawl? I imagine sprawl would still occur, but it would be in independent suburb cities much like is already is in say, Burleson. At least the tax burden of sprawl would not be Fort Worth's problem at that point.

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

An interesting law going through state congress currently. It would require a majority of residents in an area being annexed to vote to agree to be annexed......Fort Worth has done a lot of growth via annexation over its entire history.....I wonder if it would maybe act as an artificial urban growth boundary and force cities like Fort Worth to think harder about how it uses land, perhaps leading to more dense developments and less sprawl?

It would be additionally interesting if a majority of residents within the annexing city was given a vote to agree or to disagree with annexation. As for acting as an artificial growth boundary, I hope that the law will have such an effect.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

"Sounds like Campbell's planning to filibuster on SB 715 an annexation bill she authored in #txlege Senate. She's wearing pink sneakers!"

https://twitter.com/...021579912589312

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

Bill is dead. 

#5 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

Sigh,,,hopes dashed again.

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible. F. Zappa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users