• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

Does anybody have any information on my neighborhood, Ryanwood? Who the developer was, architects, etc? If nobody knows where Ryanwood is, it's bounded by Meadowbrook, Sandy, Handley, and Brentwood-Stair. If no one had any information, where could I look? My neighbors are far too old to remember!

#2 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

When was "Ryanwood" first used?I always thought it was called the "Atwood" area.Thats why I would laugh when I saw those Ryanwood signs with street signs.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#3 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

Barring any other resources, the name of the developer would be shown on the plat, which you could get a copy of down at the county clerk's office in basement of the old courthouse. The plat is filed in Volume 388-31, Page 22. Free to view, copies cost a few bucks.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#4 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

As you probably know, Ryanwood is actually the name of an addition and is contained in the legal description of land in that area. Although there are signs in the geographical area you state that say "Ryanwood", not all of the area is actually the Ryanwood Addition. You can tell by the size and style of the house what is truly in the Ryanwood Addition. Looking at the TAD maps, Ryanwood proper is bounded by Barron on the west, the creek/drainage ditch (just north of Meadowbrook Dr.) on the south, Sandy Ln. on the east and Yolanda Dr. on the north. North of Yolanda is actually the Meadowbrook East and Ryanwood North Additions and to the west are the Meadowbrook Estates and North Meadowbrook Estates Additions. By pulling the original plat for the Addition at the County Clerk's office, you can see who the developer was. Seems like the wife of the developer just died and I saw her obit in the Startlegram. As far as builder, there were many, many builders in that addition. Most people bought a vacant lot and had their builder of choice build a custom home. Most homes were built from about 1961 - 1964 and at the time, Ryanwood was the fanciest area in Handley, second only to Eastern Hills on the east side. We lived in the 7200 block of Monterrey from 1969 - 1983. It is amazing how little Ryanwood has changed in the past 30 years since so much of the rest of Handley has deteriorated. Until Brentwood Stair was cut all the way from Sandy to Handley Dr., the main east-west street was Ellis Rd. and there was a lot of traffic. Now, Ellis is very quiet.

#5 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

Texastril,
Atwood was apparently a builder in the area, since I have seen his name as builder on several houses currently listed for sale. He was the builder of the house currently for sale at 7209 Normandy, built in 1962.

#6 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

My house was built in 1963 and in the actual Ryanwood addition, according to TAD. My street, Monterrey, is very quiet! The people are very friendly, and I wouldn't move unless the neighborhood started to look like the outlying areas. You can tell which homes were from the original Ryanwood, and which ones were the different additions. The homes west of Barron don't look like they're of the same quality of the homes on the east side of Barron, and designed by a different builder. In addition, the original home owner had the house rebricked with bricks from a demolished building from the stockyards. Most of the homes on my street are a ranch/colonial mix with huge picture windows on the front facades with true divided light.

#7 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info! Andy, thanks for the plat info too!

#8 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:49 PM

Just remember a few things if you go. The records department shuts down at 4:30 not 5:00pm. Put twice as much coinage in the parking meter as you think you'll need, because you'll need twice as much time as you thought you did. Leave the metal objects at home, you'll get through the metal detector quicker. And slap Jeremy on the head and tell him to get back to work. They're not near as bad as Dallas County Records, but they're working on it. wink.gif

#9 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Does anyobdy have any info on Atwood? I know there's a chance that they're no longer in business. Where were they based out of, where did they build, etc? I know there is a similar neighborhood to Ryanwood with matching homes (in plan and elevation) at the northwest corner of Center and 303 in Arlington. Also, I wonder if Atwood had anything to do with Atwood McDonald Elementary that's a block away from my house?

I've been to the engineering vault at city hall before. Where's the records department? At the old courthouse? Good grief, I'm full of 'em aren't I?

#10 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Jun 20 2007, 12:41 PM) View Post

Barring any other resources, the name of the developer would be shown on the plat, which you could get a copy of down at the county clerk's office in basement of the old courthouse. The plat is filed in Volume 388-31, Page 22. Free to view, copies cost a few bucks.

#11 Hambone

Hambone

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

I believe Atwood McDonald Elementary is named after lawyer Atwood McDonald who started the McDonald Sanders law firm.

#12 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

Goooooooood grief! I need to learn how to re-read before I post! ROFL! I'ved never heard of this law firm or Mr. McDonald.

#13 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Whats going up on Brentwood Str. where the BK used to be?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#14 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(Phil Phillips @ Jun 20 2007, 12:55 PM) View Post

Most people bought a vacant lot and had their builder of choice build a custom home. Most homes were built from about 1961 - 1964 and at the time, Ryanwood was the fanciest area in Handley, second only to Eastern Hills on the east side. We lived in the 7200 block of Monterrey from 1969 - 1983.

It's interesting if you look at specifically when the surrounding houses were built... it appears that unlike typical developments as we know today, Ryanwood filled in gradually starting in the early 60's through the 70's. I believe this added to the variation in styles of homes and their uniqueness from one to the next. The streets are laid out where it is easy to get from point A to B, yet secluded enough from heavy amounts of traffic. It's slightly concerning that houses do not sell as quickly in this area, but I've seen a some appealing homes sell at reasonable prices...other's are not occupied nor on the market. There's one in particular on Martha that has fantastic curb appeal and my guess is maintained by an estate administrator. There's definitely enough charm left in this neighborhood, I just hope enough to sustain property values.

#15 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

I have been watching listings for the past 10 years and it appears that this area is finally making a comeback. From a historical view (mine anyway), the eastside has been in transition from the mid 1980s. Busing in the FWISD in the 80s ran off a bunch of young families to other school districts. The apartment complex fiasco in Woodhaven in the mid-80s spilled over into all of the east side, with the deteriorating complexes up and down Handley Dr. not helping. The crime rate was known all over town, even when it was not as bad as publicized. All this had the effect of making property values below market. Add to this mix the fact that the area was beginning to desegregate. The people that didn't want to see their all-white neighborhoods integregate moved to Weatherford or Burleson or even further out. The older generation of residents were dying or going into retirement centers. Many people lamented that the area was going to go the way of Poly in the 50s and 60s. Poly never recovered from the economic and demographic shift.

Today, the eastside is one of the more racially diverse areas of Ft. Worth and is beginning to form an identity again. Sure, there are some less than desirable areas, but those same areas were questionable 40 years ago even when they were relatively new. I think there are some real bargains out there and just hope that investors don't grab up everything and turn a big chunk into rental properties.

#16 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE(texastrill @ Jul 11 2007, 10:13 AM) View Post

Whats going up on Brentwood Str. where the BK used to be?

a Quick Trip

#17 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

Ha! I'm excited about the Q.T. coming in. I refuse to use the gas station across the street. It reminds me of a truck stop in Vernon.

#18 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

City Council voted in favor...drilling should start this month at 6990 Ederville Rd. You can see the drill site from I-30 next to the rental car place just past the post office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users