• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:21 AM

Does anybody happen to know if there will be an Oktoberfest celebration in Fort Worth this year and if so, when and where it will be?

#2 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

Has there ever been an Oktoberfest thingie in Fort Worth? I've never heard of one here, but the one in Fredricksburg is fun.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:11 PM

Yes, they always at it at the Convention Center.

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:00 PM

Hope. Canceled 3 or 4 years ago.

Addison has a big one. Last year Stockyards Station did one.

#5 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, but does anyone really miss Oktoberfest inside the convention center? I mean, wall to wall people, beer spilled everywhere, mustard on everything, drunks running into you. Kinda like the Main Street thing. Sounds good, but when you're there with thousands of other people, you kind of get swept along with the stream. I know it makes me sound SOOOOO old <_< , but if these things were more out in the open, not so confined, that you could actually go up a booth and see something, and not be pushed and shoved, I would like it better.

#6 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:15 PM

I ony went to one, found the beer selection to be as bad as at the Colonial, and forgot about it.

I would feel better about such a thing if Fort Worth had either German heritage or a beer industry (sorry, one industrial brewery doesn't count). If we're going to adopt or create a festival, it should have a realistic link to Fort Worth.

#7 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:57 AM

Back in my schoolkid days, i regularly attended Oktoberfest. However, even then I thought that the Convention Center was the worst place to hold this event. Instead of having it in the Convention Center or Trinity Park like Mayfest, could we have it in some other place such as Gateway or Rockwook Parks? Anybody have a better suggestion?

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 09:42 PM

Noticed this weekend that Central Market is promoting an Oktoberfest.

#9 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:00 AM

We always went for the food. Sundance Square threw one a couple of years ago. No german food. Immediately left and drove to Niester's in Granbury. :laugh:

#10 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:34 AM

In today's Startlegram it mentions an Octoberfest will be held this weekend in Southlake at Town Square.

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:19 AM

And, they have a website:

http://www.southlakeoktoberfest.com/

#12 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:15 AM

Dirty Rotton Southlake with their precious little town center....

(sorry, high school rivalries die slowly)

Muenster Texas is the best Octoberfest.

GO COPPELL COWBOYS

#13 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

Fort Worth is finally going to have an Oktoberfest for the first time in what, 5 years? It's going to be at LaGrave Field on Saturday, 14Oct. Let's make this a popular event and they might bring it back next year, as I'm tired of having to drive to other cities to celebrate with good German beer! tongue.gif

Here's the website as it shows in the Fort Worth Weekly: http://www.ondeckconcerts.com/

#14 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Sep 29 2006, 06:13 AM) View Post

Let's make this a popular event and they might bring it back next year, as I'm tired of having to drive to other cities to celebrate with good German beer! tongue.gif

According to the website the beer will be supplied by Coors, so it doesn't sound like they'll have any German beers. I live within spitting distance of the Bitburger Beer brewery in Bitburg, Germany; I could send you some laugh.gif j/k.

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

I would like to see an Oktoberfest in the Will Rogers barn complex. The size and shape of the facilities mimics the tents erected in Munich for the Mother of all Oktoberfests, and if and when the local festival grew an adjacent barn could be appropriated. One of the barns has an arena that could be used to stage folk entertainment (Ooom-Pah bands, dancing, Alphorn orchestra, Tuba bands) and exhibits of local breweries (Rahr) and even Shiner and some of the other Texas independent breweries could be set up, various foods-on-a-stick vended, and whatever else happens at one of these festivals. Roundup Inn is across the street, plenty of free parking, concert potential in the WR Threter, and maybe an equestrian production (Fort Worth is supposed to be the center for this, right?) in the Colisseum. After all, the original Oktoberfest was a wedding party that featured a horse race, and one of the main tents there later (Hippodrome) long featured an equestrian orientation.

#16 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

The Flying Saucer is having a “Beer Fest” on October 7th, it’s about craft beer and it is outside in October, I think that would count as an October Fest and might actually be closer to what one would expect.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#17 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hey, I bought part of Peter Gruenwald's old Biergarten (which closed in 1910). I'll host Octoberfest next year if the lot is not all torn up for construction by then.

I went to Doc's in Muenster last week, sat in their biergarten, had a decent wurst plate and drank some good imported beers.

Rahr and Sons is listed on the website for the LaGrave Field Oktoberfest. I would imagine they would have a presence out there. I wonder if this is the same group that wasn't able to reach critical mass on their Spring Rally concerts.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#18 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

I hear EDELWEISS is the place for this kind of stuff. OktoberFEST or BOCKtoberfest is much more prevalent near New Braunfels and Hill Country parts of Texas. But, that shouldn't stop all of us in promoting our own deal here. EVEN IF IT IS COORS served at room temperature.

I think I may have touched on this subject some time ago. Always wondered why DFW area never blew a big one for this MOMENTOUS time of the year. I guess the Red River Shootout takes care of that.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#19 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hey Safly, I thought you had moved or something, you seem to have slowed down on the number of posts you were making. Although, it seems that the board has slowed down in general. Maybe school season has made a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users